Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, we’ve got another casting confirmation for the movie: Maria will be played by Alyla Brown

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-shadow-alyla-browne-maria-sonic-adventure-2-casting-confirmed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol the top comment on her IG post is “why are you wearing a body bag” and the first reply “she’s just getting into character”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though if Amy’s in the movie as I’m currently assuming I’m curious how they’re going to handle her introduction in addition to the SA2 focused storyline (as for Rouge, I could see them doing something like her being on earth for longer than Sonic has but just being better at keeping a low profile)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, they really should have left Super Shadow silver like in SA2
He was always light gold in the release version of SA2, it's just more noticeable in the later games because he has a yellow aura and no chrome effect. He was silver in the SA2 beta though.

Larryb posted:

Though if Amy’s in the movie as I’m currently assuming I’m curious how they’re going to handle her introduction in addition to the SA2 focused storyline (as for Rouge, I could see them doing something like her being on earth for longer than Sonic has but just being better at keeping a low profile)

Why are you assuming Amy is in the movie, out of curiosity?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is Paramount going to let them imply the military gunned down a child in a kid's movie?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

He was always light gold in the release version of SA2, it's just more noticeable in the later games because he has a yellow aura and no chrome effect. He was silver in the SA2 beta though.

Why are you assuming Amy is in the movie, out of curiosity?

Because it’s an SA2 adaption and she plays a decent part in that (though I suppose you could have somebody else fill the important parts of her role if you wanted)?

Huh, could have sworn he was more silverish in SA2 proper, nevermind then

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Because it’s an SA2 adaption and she plays a decent part in that (though I suppose you could have somebody else fill the important parts of her role if you wanted)?

Huh, could have sworn he was more silverish in SA2 proper, nevermind then

I mean, it's an SA2 adaptation the same way Sonic 2 was a Sonic 3K adaptation. You had Robotnik tricking Knuckles and the Master Emerald, but it's not like there was any of the rest of Sonic 3K and even then the original game had a very minimal story. It was still the universe and tone of the first movie. Sonic 3 will be a bit darker, but I really doubt it will have most of the plot beats outside of Shadow's backstory.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I mean, it's an SA2 adaptation the same way Sonic 2 was a Sonic 3K adaptation. You had Robotnik tricking Knuckles and the Master Emerald, but it's not like there was any of the rest of Sonic 3K and even then the original game had a very minimal story. It was still the universe and tone of the first movie. Sonic 3 will be a bit darker, but I really doubt it will have most of the plot beats outside of Shadow's backstory.

Good point, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Rouge at least though

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I don't really know why people are adamant that Maria has to be shot down (outside of it being a funny meme). There's a bunch of ways you can imply a character is killed off without explicitly showing it.

I also don't even think you need Maria to die for Shadow's story to work- if she sends him in the escape pod, and he just thinks she's dead, that would definitely still be enough motivation for him.

Could be kinda cute to have Maria, 50 years on, take Amy's place in redeeming Shadow at the end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Skeletome posted:

I don't really know why people are adamant that Maria has to be shot down (outside of it being a funny meme). There's a bunch of ways you can imply a character is killed off without explicitly showing it.

I also don't even think you need Maria to die for Shadow's story to work- if she sends him in the escape pod, and he just thinks she's dead, that would definitely still be enough motivation for him.

Could be kinda cute to have Maria, 50 years on, take Amy's place in redeeming Shadow at the end

That'd be better than having one of the main human characters do it like what happened in Sonic X

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Officer Burpo will save Shadow

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Is Paramount going to let them imply the military gunned down a child in a kid's movie?

They'll try, but Shadow will deflect all the bullets and tragically, she'll be stuck in a broken airlock or something and he won't be able to save her or another less visceral way of implying she died. It's probably not gonna anything close to a Mortal Kombat gun Fatal Blow or even Bambi's mom dying.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Cowards

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As long as we get to witness the brutal execution of Gerald Robotnik, as played by Christopher Lloyd

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

again, spiderverse had a mother and daughter getting hit by a truck.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

As long as we get to witness the brutal execution of Gerald Robotnik, as played by Christopher Lloyd

I still think Gerald should be played by Jim Carrey in old man makeup (in every appearance except for the English version of SA2 he’s always been played by the same actor as Eggman)

That said, Lloyd would be a good choice as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 17, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Maria will be played by Jim Carrey in a blonde wig.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Y'know I was all on board for having Jim Carrey do this scene (and still am) but I can definitely get on board with having Doc Brown do it, I can hear it in his voice already and it's wonderful

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 17, 2024

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol the top comment on her IG post is “why are you wearing a body bag” and the first reply “she’s just getting into character”

The character of a Sonic Movie Staff madlad, incidentally.

Like everyone on the staff is bonkers and it's great.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you simply cannot tell shadow's story without amy and that's a fact

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sonic X did it just fine

[extremely sarcastic cough]

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Sonic X did it just fine

[extremely sarcastic cough]

Amy was even present for that one and they STILL had the human OC steal her scene (though he does take quite a beating from Shadow in the process)

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Sonic Symphony is a hell of a good time. Something kind of wild about a theater full of people just going absolutely apeshit over these dumbass hedgehogs. I doubt I need to convince anyone here but definitely check it out if it comes to your city.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

acetcx posted:

Sonic Symphony is a hell of a good time. Something kind of wild about a theater full of people just going absolutely apeshit over these dumbass hedgehogs. I doubt I need to convince anyone here but definitely check it out if it comes to your city.

Still no Denver dates :mad:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Larryb posted:

Amy was even present for that one and they STILL had the human OC steal her scene (though he does take quite a beating from Shadow in the process)

That is the funniest loving change in any adaptation and nothing will change my mind :allears:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Larryb posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the anime had to make that change because they had already rewritten Amy's character to be mean, violent and ill-tempered for the anime.

I feel like Amy had trouble recovering her reputation from the character assassination in the Heroes/Battle/X era for a long time. At least we got "Amy manifests a Sonic tulpa to fight Rouge alongside her" out of it, though.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thinking about that hog

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

They say that to this day Chris Thorndyke sometimes calls Sonic up when there's no one else around to hang out with him, desperate for the hedgehog to drown out The Voices...

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the anime had to make that change because they had already rewritten Amy's character to be mean, violent and ill-tempered for the anime.

I feel like Amy had trouble recovering her reputation from the character assassination in the Heroes/Battle/X era for a long time. At least we got "Amy manifests a Sonic tulpa to fight Rouge alongside her" out of it, though.

Even when she's being written badly, the one character trait everyone can agree on is that Amy is inexplicably powerful...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

They say that to this day Chris Thorndyke sometimes calls Sonic up when there's no one else around to hang out with him, desperate for the hedgehog to drown out The Voices...

Even when she's being written badly, the one character trait everyone can agree on is that Amy is inexplicably powerful...

The one trait canon to pretty much every version of Amy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just had the haunting thought that Sonic’s cop dad might take Amy’s place giving the pep talk to Shadow

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

just had the haunting thought that Sonic’s cop dad might take Amy’s place giving the pep talk to Shadow

Yeah, that’s my fear at the moment too (there’s even a decent chance Amy won’t be in the movie at all)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Amy has literally one proper scene with Shadow and a minor one mistaking him for Sonic then running away, they are definitely just replacing her with the human cast for that. Otherwise she just hangs around in the background for the entire game, and unless they give her a major rewrite that's all she'd end up doing in the movie as well.

I guess they could surprise me there but I imagine there'll be enough going on without them adding another character, and if they're adding anyone besides Shadow then it has to be Rouge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not to mention you’d have to tack on another subplot to introduce her and her relationship with Sonic in the first place. So yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath on Amy showing up all things considered (Rouge seems fairly probable however)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Augus posted:

No…..NO!!!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Clearly they'll combine Amy and Rouge into one character.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hogama posted:

Clearly they'll combine Amy and Rouge into one character.

That'd be suicide though, so...probably not in the cards

But, knowing modern cinema...

[side-eyes Coyote vs ACME]

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Didn't they say they cast Krysten Ritter in it? My money is on her being Rouge or, more likely, an adult human woman who has basically the same role.

Sonic's cop dad is definitely gonna be the one to talk down Shadow, though. They're paying for Marsden and they're gonna use Marsden.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean one thought going around was him being related to Maria's murderer so that being his final arc (coming to terms with that, circling the square of being a cop and all that) would, Amy aside, be as good an arc for him as any.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean one thought going around was him being related to Maria's murderer so that being his final arc (coming to terms with that, circling the square of being a cop and all that) would, Amy aside, be as good an arc for him as any.

Okay, that would actually make for an interesting way to tie him into the existing canon :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Okay, that would actually make for an interesting way to tie him into the existing canon :hmmyes:

By admission, I didn't come up with that.