Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best selling game in a series is almost never that great, the best one is the one before that

A game comes out, it sells okay, people that actually played it keep talking about how good it is, and the game that comes out next rides that buzz to sell a bunch of copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flavor.flv posted:

The best selling game in a series is almost never that great, the best one is the one before that

A game comes out, it sells okay, people that actually played it keep talking about how good it is, and the game that comes out next rides that buzz to sell a bunch of copies

battle network 4 lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Super Mario Bros. is the best selling Mario title (if we don't count spinoffs like Mario Kart 8 or Mario Party), so Mario Bros. is the best game in the series.
Alternately, New Super Mario Bros. is the next best selling Mario title, so clearly Super Mario 64 DS is the apex of the post 2000 releases.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sonic Heroes is assuredly not the best 3d game lmao

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1773480195606872267

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Legit thought it said “Fake” above Sonic for a minute

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

man nurse posted:

Legit thought it said “Fake” above Sonic for a minute

I found you, you faker!!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Taker? I think you're the take around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha. You're not even good enough to be my take.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Taker? I think you're the take around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha. You're not even good enough to be my take.

"Jeff it's been 5 months and you've been saying this every time we roll the cameras, please just snap the loving clapperboard"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It still hasn’t been confirmed yet who’s voicing Shadow in the movie has it (there were some rumors a while back saying it was Hayden Christensen)?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hayden Christensen would be absolutely perfect for Shadow

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m hoping the rumor turns out to be true myself (also the man can actually act pretty well, he just needs decent direction)

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Oh I know this one; The direction is 'hold right.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sonic X Shadow Generations.

It's also the second, eighth, eleventh, sixteenth and twenty-ninth game at the same time too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

acetcx posted:

Or maybe I'm just being optimistic but I remember scratching my head at the emphasis that was placed on the HEDGEHOG ENGINE back in the '06 days and being like wait what is so special about this engine?

06 predated the Hedgehog Engine. Unleashed was the first to use it and it’s still a technical marvel. It had gorgeous baked lighting and could dynamically load several miles of level data instead of having big sections separated by loading screens like 06.

It was a bit too much for the consoles at the time, but it really shines on the newer Xboxes. There aren’t many games from 2008 that look like they could have been released today. Maybe that Prince of Persia reboot?

I hope they are working on a Heroes remake since it would give them experience making a full 3D Sonic game again. I like the boost games but nothing comes close to the complete freedom SA2 gives you. It controls well enough that it doesn’t have to box you in with invisible walls or force you into 2D whenever you’re expected to do any platforming.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re already doing a Generations remake but we’ll see I guess. Curious when they’ll announce a new release that isn’t a mobile title though (maybe in another year or two at this rate)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe a Sonic Heroes remaster will finally make it a good game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can see the argument for remaking Heroes being that no one would mind if the remake turned out to be poo poo because Heroes was already poo poo, but if they hosed up an Adventure/Adventure 2 remake there would be hell to pay.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If I can't fall asleep any other way, this video will always do it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

More like Sonic Her-NOES!!!!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Zeroes on account of the review scores it would get!!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should release it episodically. First, team chaotix. Then stop.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sonic heroes ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xddu4wUWUhE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heroes is good, yall are just mean

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Heroes gave us What I'm Made Of and people here have the nerve to say it's a bad game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heroes has some major quirks to the controls and grinding in particular that absolutely shouldn't exist, but once you learn to get around those it's a fun old time.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I know I played Heroes, hell I still have the GC disc although it doesn’t work anymore, but I will be god damned if I can remember one single thing about it. I don’t even remember if I actually beat it or not

Talk about a forgettable game lmao

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d play Heroes again before I’d touch 06 or Secret Rings at least but that’s not saying much

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I will be god damned if I can remember one single thing about it.

It's 30 minutes long so you can accurately relive the experience of falling into holes on the world's shittiest pinball tables over and over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1ywi-_fjE

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heroes was my first 3D Sonic game and I 100%ed that sucker.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Heroes was the first 3D Sonic game that truly disappointed me. It’s not unplayable and there were others later that disappointed me much more, but Heroes has a special place for cratering the high expectations me and my friends had from SA1/2.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Learning that Heroes was massively rushed due to Sega being in the process of imploding at the time due to the fallout of the Dreamcasts failure really does explain a bunch of how unpolished the game is, alongside with a large amount of the levels being designed by one person under such a heavy crunch induced load they lost 25 pounds.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I have no faith in the idea that they might be able to fix Heroes when they couldn't even port Colours and the classic games without loving them up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also that they didn't have cross-platform development understanding set up, they built it on the GameCube first using a lot of very specific GameCube stuff and then discovered that it wasn't very easy to port them. (The PlayStation 2 especially they didn't have experience with and the PS2 could be a nightmare to code for, which is why that version of Heroes in particular was a complete disaster. At least the XBox was fairly straightforward and PC-like.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 31, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I have no faith in the idea that they might be able to fix Heroes when they couldn't even port Colours and the classic games without loving them up

it’s gonna be just like the Adventure ports and require a laundry list of mods in order to bring it up to par with the old Gamecube version

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 31, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Augus posted:

it’s gonna be just like the Adventure ports and require a laundry list of mods in order to bring it up to par with the old Gamecube versions

I mod my sonic adventure games to be up to par with the superior dreamcast versions. But thats just me

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Heroes was the first 3D Sonic game that truly disappointed me. It’s not unplayable and there were others later that disappointed me much more, but Heroes has a special place for cratering the high expectations me and my friends had from SA1/2.

I felt the same way. I still finished it, but I didn’t buy another 3D Sonic game until Generations. Super Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker were rushed too, but I didn’t notice at the time. With Heroes it was obvious.

There are plenty of unfinished games I still enjoy because their gameplay is solid, despite noticeable chunks missing like MGSV. Heroes and 06 have tons of content but there’s very little polish and I can’t even enjoy the better parts because the controls feel so awful.

I guess the hardest part of making a platformer is that you can’t change the controls or physics during development without having to rework every stage that’s been made up to that point. Who knows why they decided to change the physics so much from the Adventure games.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mod my sonic adventure games to be up to par with the superior dreamcast versions. But thats just me

Obligatory link to Cybershell video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORYL5J1Heg

I played the original Dreamcast version when I was a kid, but most of what I played of SA1/2 was the GC versions. Playing through PC SA1 with the Dreamcast Conversion mod with a friend of mine, it made it totally clear that the Dreamcast models/lighting really is the best versions of the game. I'm ok with the 3D models of the GC version, but many animations and cutscenes just look and feel better with the Dreamcast models.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Learning that Heroes was massively rushed due to Sega being in the process of imploding at the time due to the fallout of the Dreamcasts failure really does explain a bunch of how unpolished the game is, alongside with a large amount of the levels being designed by one person under such a heavy crunch induced load they lost 25 pounds.

Yeah the game sucks but it never had the chance to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i meant the gamecube version of Heroes there wasn't supposed to be an "s" there