Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Zelder posted:

I want a 3d sonic game as good as Mario 64. That's my kokoro wish

Have you played the Sonic Utopia prototype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yeah this game feels like it’s scope was like 60% too big for the budget (which seems meager as gently caress like c’mon sega) but gently caress it it’s fun. It’s real fun. And it’s not like there’s another giant open world game out there where you run around at 500 mph.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I’m kinda okay with the jank? It feels faithful to classic 3d sonics, lol.

I wish it played better on Steam Deck.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Some, either SF or Steam Deck, made Sonic Frontiers playable on it. woooo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

professional media critics are godawful now + whenever a low budget game is better than the sum of it's parts it never registers in a game critic's mind because they are so IGNpilled that game criticism must be each individual aspect of a game (graphics/sound/gameplay/etc.) weighing against each other without considering how the whole of the game actually feels.

frontiers will probably fair better with the essay bros (not that you want to watch those either)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 14, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The lead designer of the game says they're really looking into what people say about this game (this game is sorta a "rough draft" of sorts for a potentially much bigger game), and I really hope they're listening to fans and not the critics.

It is v.good but boy howdy the amount of support Sega gave the studio could've have been too much. So much of the game feels held together by decade old assets and code. It punches above it's weight with one arm tied behind it's back.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Finished Sonic Frontiers. It’s bad… but also good?

The game is riddled with buggy controls and bad artistic/design decisions to the point where I often could only stare and wonder how the game got past QA in this shape. At the same time it does a few elements very well which make the game genuinely enjoyable despite these problems. Specifically I’d point to a soundtrack that slaps, the sense of scale and style (particularly during boss fights), and the fact that running around doing random stuff is pretty satisfying. And while it’s the story and its execution are clunky and threadbare I ~did~ somehow end up giving a poo poo by the end and I genuinely like Sage as a new addition to the cast (I really like how she humanizes Eggman and hope they develop that relationship further in future games).

Also, I think it’s pretty cool that we’re probably getting solo Tails/Knuckles/Amy games. I’ve wanted that for a while now. :toot:

Sooo… yeah. I guess I’d rate it both a D+ and a B+ simultaneously. It really depends how you look at it.
The game feels like it was built with a underfunded team but with a very good director. The overall vision of the project is a spectacle, and they do achieve it. Some of the pieces are a bit warped or a tad moldy, but the pieces are put together the best they can and they try to write the other low budget aspects (dollar store open world aesthetics, reusing assets from over a decade ago) into the story, and I think it works.

I hope the next game from Sonic Team is a Frontiers sequel by the same director that is given an appropriate budget.

Also uh... I kinda like the janky movement. It's busted, but you can "feel out" how it's busted and break it to your advantage. They need to definitely revamp it for a sequel tho.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

MJeff posted:

I agree with this overall sentiment which is extremely weird because the director and producer are just....Kishimoto and Iizuka. Who have been the director and producer forever and most of their work has been pretty bad!

Lol, that is a bit of a puzzle. Maybe an open world game is easier to direct than a linear game?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Arzest/Artoon are pretty bad. Like I'm not gonna even blame them for Balan Wonderworld cause trying to design around that one button gameplay design is insane, but their track record ranges from forgettable to just bad.
Yeah this is the team behind Yoshi's New Island and Hey! Pikmin. Pretty competent but soulless spinoffs. My money is on this being a pretty dull game with a decent presentation.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://x.com/oceanmanx3/status/1765354147736347108?s=46

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

the sonic heroes remake will be on par with the sonic colors remaster, snap out of it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

god drat the sonic movie guys just knock it out of the park every single time. makes me believe the “ugly sonic was a psyop” rumors

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://x.com/irloadingscreen/status/1780066028900249932?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

quote:

I don't know how true this is, but apparently there's big problems with Sonic 3.

They're really behind schedule and it looks as if marketing commitments are going to force them to split it into two movies so they have something to put out on time. The next part will include some of the content already made as well as all new content yet to be created. When both parts are put together, it will play out like one big long story.
You joke but I think they already did this joke with the Knuckles streaming series.

They’re releasing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.