Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Augus posted:

It's more that the boost game is pretty shallow. Certainly better than Boom but right now Mania is a lot more exciting to me

Unleashed and Generations are deep as gently caress if you care about speedrunning.

Playing the same level for two hours to shave a few seconds off your time is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bringing up the comic reminded me of how Ian Flynn used to post here. I miss him. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Clearly we need to invite him back and buy him plat to smoothe things over in this, 2017, the year of Sonic's glorious renaissance.

In all seriousness, he's deserved to write a Sonic game for a long time so I really hope he is writing Forces.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cat is basically immortal and is the best class. Go, Cat. Eat poo poo, dog pickers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shinjobi posted:

Sometimes I think Cybershell and I are the same person because I just recently went back and read Mecha Madness myself, and apparently we fell off the comic wagon around the same time.

I've never seen the two of us in a room at the same time....I don't think.

- Read it from the beginning or near the beginning as a kid. Somewhere in the first 30 issues.
- Got a subscription and/or got it from their comic store every month at that point.
- Interest and love for the comic reached its peak with: Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles, Battle Royale, Dark Legion and the launch of the Knuckles series, Mecha Madness and, most of all, Endgame.
- Interest maintained but slowly started to wane after issue 50. Still read the comic but the spark from around issues 40-50 and all the specials wasn't there anymore.
- Interest briefly spiked again around episode 75 with Robo-Robotnik returning as Eggman and the Sonic Adventure tie-in (which, in retrospect, was a pretty weak tie-in)
- Continued to lose interest in the comic after the Sonic Adventure tie-in, had more or less totally fallen out of it by issue 100. Maybe bought issue 100 for sentimentality's sake but didn't really understand it all that much or care about what was going on.
- Completely stopped caring by the time they were going into the 100s, maybe checked back every so often to see what stupid nonsense they (i.e. Penders) were doing now.
- Many years later, heard about how the comic was under a new writer, Ian Flynn.
- Saw images such as: Eggman beating the crap out of Sonic ("I GOT YOUR LIMIT RIGHT HERE"), Shadow's :catstare: face at Marine, Omega and Blaze, Evil Sonic re-imagined as Scourge, Rosy the Rascal, the Megaman crossover, etc. Realized, "oh man, this is actually kinda cool."
- Either picked up the comic and started reading regularly again or just kinda checked it out so often, content in the knowledge that something they loved so much in their childhood had regained some shred of credibility.

Quote this post if this is your general arc as a consumer of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the moral of the story is that if you're gonna read Sonic comics, read stuff from issues 1-50 and specials \ minis from around that time, then just stop and skip all the way to the Ian Flynn stuff.

In a weird coincidence, the quality of the Sonic comics almost kind of mirrors the quality of the games made at the same time. The Sega Genesis era comics are fun, then in the Saturn era, Sonic games went kind of dormant aside from Sonic 3D Blast and R, and they killed off Robotnik in the books at around the same time. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 sparked interest in Sonic again, but then the Dreamcast died and the quality of Sonic games spiraled downwards with Heroes, Shadow and then rock-bottom with 2006. Then sometime afterwards, Sega made Colors and Generations and Ian Flynn rebooted the comics and they started being good again. It's really interesting how that all coincides.

There's a reading guide that basically says exactly that.

Your point is definitely well taken about the comic really falling down a well around the same time the Dreamcast died. I actually was curious and went and looked this up. The first Ian Flynn/Tracy Yeardley! issue was 160. March 2006, eight months before 06. So I guess you could say while Sonic was setting his feet back under him while saddled with a lame gimmick in Unleashed, Potto was fixing the comic while sorting through all of the leftover built-up nonsense from Penders.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Then you have the lovingly reverent homages to real world locales filtered through a Pixar filter with a dash of fantastic elements like dragon roadways in Unleashed,

This was the best one, btw. They shoulda stuck with this. Unleashed felt like they'd found a real identity aesthetically and Colors was a fun side-story but Generations and Lost World feel like big steps backwards from that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The early stuff absolutely holds up because it's so simple and fun. It's just lots of puns and jokes around some simple stories with some surprisingly acerbic quips in there too. My favorite thing about re-reading the early Sonic comics was noticing the environmental commentary that completely passed me by as a kid. Sonic's message at its core was an environmental one, so seeing it realized in that way is nice.

When it starts trying to get serious? Yeah, it probably doesn't hold up as well. I know Mecha Madness probably isn't as good as I remember and Endgame was ridiculously contrived, but I still love it. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crabtree posted:

Does Ian at least have other work now? Sad that Sonic Comic's finally dead, but I'm more worried about the cool people involved than the publication.

If SEGA is smart they'll swoop him up to either keep writing the comic for whoever gets the license next or just directly write Sonic games from now on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

beep by grandpa posted:

Why isn't there a SONIC PRO WRESTLING spinoff party game where I can tag team as all of those robotnikmen.

Shadow can even start the G.U.N. Club.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Eggman is a feminist in that he completely believes in equality between men and women. Men and women will be completely equal in that they will spend at least 12 hours a day praising Eggman.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Stairmaster posted:

can we talk about more important things like cybershells patreon

Knuckles tier looking very tempting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the sections will be good because Sonic is good. Sonic Forces will be good. Sonic Mania will be good.

Sonic is good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Frankston posted:

I think my favourite AoStH episode is the one where Grounder becomes a genius and takes over from Robotnik

Grounder loving RAN poo poo in this episode too, I'm pretty sure. Turned Sonic into stone and made a rod that loving shot lightning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nerdbot posted:

I would say that Mike Pollock's very early Eggman performances in Sonic X were pretty rough, he also kind of voiced him as a generic bad guy at first. I felt like he started getting into the character better once they moved him onto the games and by Unleashed he had become a top tier Egg for sure

Pollock and Griffith really genuinely came into their own starting with Unleashed. It's not a coincidence that this was after any 4Kids influence was completely gone from the series.

It's kind of a shame because Griffith really was getting better with each game before he got dumped for Smith. Who, give him his credit, has been great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bruh how the gently caress am I falling into a bottomless pit on the Oil Ocean boss. IT'S OIL OCEAN, IT AIN'T GOT NO PITS.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SeANMcBAY posted:

Like the original stage in Sonic 2, you still die if you go too deep into the oil.

I'm not falling to the bottom. I kill one of his spinny things, fall down to the oil and the second I hit the top of it, I die. This happened twice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Lava Reef music, holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this game is incredible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've beaten the game, I only have two emeralds and I have no idea how to find more giant rings. These stages are so motherfucking huge.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, does anybody know if the OST is gonna wind up on Spotify at any point?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Got all the emeralds. Final boss was pretty easy, but pretty fun.

Mania's integration into Forces is really cool. I wonder whose idea it was.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Most stuff for me was just "There's a Sonic game and I'm not immediately a master of it?! ARGH :argh:", yeah, but there is a couple things I think are genuinely lame as gently caress. One being the Flying Battery Act 2 boss, another being the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss instakilling you if you land on a platform at the wrong time. And this one just tweaked the hell out of me, but the Titanic Monarch act 2 boss will pull you out of Super Sonic when you enter the arena, so I went into the boss with 46 rings, got hit and had to do the rest of it as normal sonic. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Hydrocity Boss is completely befuddling to me. Shouldn't the two "phases" of it be totally reversed?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Flynn coming back has given me a full blown case of Sonic Mania.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TFRazorsaw posted:

Creative process for the comics? “Ian has an incredible imagination – he could write these comics forever.”

Apparently Ian had his pitches ready for IDW immediately.

Dude saw the writing on the wall and got his poo poo together for whoever the rights landed with. Smart.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So apparently Forces is 720p, 30 FPS on Switch. Whoof.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody who thinks framerates don't matter in a Sonic game should be forced to play the PS3 port of Unleashed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sonic's reveal was great but honestly it felt like a foregone conclusion to me. Like, obviously if Snake was in, that meant crossover characters could be in so obviously, Sonic would be in. So I wasn't surprised, I just kinda felt like "Yeah, of course."

The Subspace Emissary reveal was just dynamite, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yippy Skippy for Mighty and Ray but there's about twenty characters I would've picked ahead of them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I stumbled upon this video and felt it was worth linking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJuLcakn3Y

I'm not gonna spoil it, my only advice is it's weird at first but give it some time. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My only issue with the video is that it doesn't bring up the mural in Hidden Palace Zone, which I always thought was a great way to link the Genesis games and the Dreamcast games. Shadow's a hedgehog because Gerald saw that mural.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I never played Forces cause I heard it was pretty lame, especially the boost levels relative to say, Unleashed or Generations. Is it worth a look?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

Basically they should rename it Sonic Fources.

I don't get it. :saddowns:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Xad posted:

Oh poo poo! We got sucked into a black hole or something? You immediately break out.

This just sounds like it's being true to Sonic Colors, 'cause that was just as lame there. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mikedawson posted:

The more I hear about the Sonic movie, the more fake it sounds.

I still don't think it's gonna come out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
IGN gave Sonic 2006 a higher score than Sonic Unleashed, they can go gently caress themselves.

So somebody explain to me what exactly Plus has besides the two new characters. What is Encore mode, exactly? Am I going to get meaningfully new levels if I buy this or is it just play as Ray and Mighty in the old levels?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DoctorWhat posted:

you do realize "ign" is not a monolithic entity and has multiple reviewers on staff, yeah? read a goddamn byline

Sorry, you're right. One sec while I look this up.

Okay.

Hilary Goldstein rated Sonic Unleashed lower than Sonic 2006 so all of IGN and everybody that's ever worked for them past, present or future can go gently caress themselves.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Motto posted:

The job of PR isn't tossing employees to the wolves lmao

I mean I'm not saying I agree with it but in this day and age, it basically is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I demand we stop talking about the nerd running the twitter account and get back on track, here - Sonic Unleashed is the greatest game ever released.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Werehog was flawed, but intriguing! FLAWED, BUT INTRIGUING I SAY!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only way you should play Unleashed is by that mod that ports all the good Sonic levels into Generations. The werehog is some of the worst poo poo ever in Sonic.

And replace the smashy guy that chases you with the G.U.N. truck?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I call BS on any of them being able to even touch Metal Sonic with all seven emeralds.