Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It makes sense, really. If you want to have any scenes showing what Robotnik is up to that isn't directly fighting the heroes, you need to give him someone to monologue at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic wearing a hat draws attention to me that Sonic is naked.

The gloves and shoes didn't?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sonic Adventure came out during the games industry's awkward puberty where 3D games were starting to become a serious thing but no one had really established how to do it well yet. A lot of games from that era are full of awkward jank but got away with it because they were still the best you could get at the time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

The prototype Carnival Night and Launch Base have already supplanted the Jackson tracks in my mind. Ice Cap not so much but I'm sure it'll get there

I liked the prototype Launch Base more than the Jackson one even back when those were just the weird PC Port midis, it's honestly a great pair of tracks. And all three are better for actually having an Act 2 theme rather than just repeating the Act 1 music with some audio tracks muted.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now all they need to do is put Amy into Sonic Mania

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sonic 3 is the best looking one because that's the one I played growing up

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One thing behind StC's adaptation of Robotnik is that they got informed that both the AoSTH and SatAM cartoons were coming to the UK, but were never given any instruction on which, if either, they were supposed to align the comic's canon with. So they sort of split the difference and had Robotnik do the egg regeneration thing to match AoSTH's look for him, and did the time travel takeover thing to make Robotnik rule over Mobius, but didn't introduce any other elements from the cartoons because no one ever said they needed to.

Sega played pretty fast and loose with Sonic's brand identity in those days.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StC definitely went way out ahead of general Sonic canon in making Amy a cool and fun character in her own right. To the point that they had to build up her character completely from scratch, since for pretty much the whole run of the comic her game-canon personality was "damsel in distress with a crush on the hero". The crossbow thing honestly makes perfect sense in that context - Sonic goes fast and has a speedy name, Tails' big feature is his tails, Knuckles uses his knuckles for punching and digging, so surely Amy's power must be aim-y?

It's still my favourite depiction of Amy, to the extent that you can consider her the same character at all. The games' canon depiction is only just starting to catch up. I'll forgive Archie not doing anything similar with her, since they already had some cool girl characters from the cartoon cast they adapted.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Veotax posted:

Why though? Who cares at this point? Does Sega even want the pre-reboot characters?
The Archie reboot happened a decade ago now (give or take a few months). Does anyone outside of people who read pre-reboot Archie as a kid care about Pender's hundreds of Echidnas, or Pervert the Skunk or whatever? They're not the target audience anymore, why would Sega pay to get a bunch of characters that kids who like Sonic now have never heard of?

I don't think anyone expects Sega to bring back their favourite old comic characters. But a fan can dream, right?

That said, Sega have pushed hard on the nostalgia pedal the last several years. It would be a fun way to add some spice to the Classic Sonic cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

I don't know how true this is, but apparently there's big problems with Sonic 3.

They're really behind schedule and it looks as if marketing commitments are going to force them to split it into two movies so they have something to put out on time. The next part will include some of the content already made as well as all new content yet to be created. When both parts are put together, it will play out like one big long story.

Sonic 3 & Amy