Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The ending version of Sonic Boom is loving spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The 2D sonics were pretty good but Sonic was never great until Day Unleashed and every prior 3D sonic game is between "mediocre" and "dogshit"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I couldn't be happier to have more Boost Sonic, and on the go on Switch? Perfection.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Final boss of Colors was pretty dope.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

sharrrk posted:

they already did this in Sonic Adventure 2

no they didn't

3d sonic was never good until unleashed and 2d sonic was never good until it went widescreen

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faf9hMAqCfs

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reducing the visual impact of the game lets it run better. I'd rather it run at 60fps on the Switch and look like Forces than look like Generations and run at 30.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

loving INCREDIBLE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MikeJF posted:

of all the custom characters to come up with as the showoff version, that's the one they picked?

it's honest

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Way to be objectively wrong, CJacobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnyIJeOqoF0

UNLIMITED COLORS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ahhahahahah

holy poo poo it's so bad

i love it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Augus posted:

i liked the docfuture version better

theyre pretty close to identical

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Infinite's little logo thing is stylized after the Sonic MonoEye

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheFantasticIan/status/888960453002502144

holy cow!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

If they remake S3K, they have to relicense the music. If they just reissue the mastered ROM via emulation, then things get hairy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Because netplay is actually extremely difficult and expensive to implement.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

I can't decide if I should get the PS4 or Switch version. The Switch doesn't even have a d-pad.

The split D-Pad on the switch actually rules. I was skeptical too but I love it now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hey gamma no need for ableist slurs

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you don't need to use the r-word to express your frustrations

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find Giant Rings in Metallic Madness Zone or beyond? I only need one more emerald and I'd like to get it before too long!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

There's a real easy one in Act 1, when you first get thrown into the background, ignore the first two things that toss you back into the foreground and use the last one.

Thanks dude! That one did it. Got 'em all now!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean it has a entirely different vibe to it but man I think the new final boss theme outclasses doomsday. It's so loving good

It's literally a remix of Fist Bump, the vocal theme for Sonic Forces. There's some Kirby-grade Lore poo poo going on![/spoiler]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The new Super theme is so aggressively triumphant I love it. I also love that it isn't a 5 second loop.

I kinda wish it would just do the Speed Shoes treatment to the existing level theme but it's still a huge improvement over the 3K loop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Crushing deaths wouldn't be so obnoxious if they had fixed the 25-year-old uncrushing death bugs!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

By "uncrushing" i mean getting caught by a crusher as it opens up and you barely fit in and then you die even though it's opening up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hold "down"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you mean: Generations/Unleashed Day?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Got stuck twice now in LRZ because somehow sonic clipped through the ceiling or ground. Only way out is waiting for a timeout or restarting entirely.

You have to watch out for Doctor Robotnik's Deadly Speed Traps!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, if you somehow manage to reach the Puyo Puyo boss at the end of Chemical Plant Act 1 in your Super form (most likely via Debug unless it's possible to get all 7 emeralds in Green Hill) does it change anything or do you automatically revert to normal for the boss fight?

You can indeed get 7 emeralds by the end of CPZ1 if you know where the big rings are and do it perfect and also probably glitch into Knuckles' GHZ1 but that's not necessary I think...

Anyway you revert to nonsuper.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Games journalism is good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Alternately: Razorsaw, disengage if that's what makes you feel better, but never take Gammatron's advice on anything. When he isn't insisting everyone calm down and stop taking things so seriously, he's sharing islamophobic memes on Twitter and complaining about Black Lives Matter.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 12, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

Shortly after that demo came out the main programmer had a fit over the DRM and keylogger he put in and left, so it got shelved until someone else made a new engine.

DRM and keylogger? WTF!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Classic City Escape had the Mega Drive drum samples at least! On the other hand Classic Planet Wisp might be the best track in the game, alongside Modern Chemical Plant.

The best vocal song in Sonic history, however, is Work It Out.

You've got to MAKE IT REAL

You've got to make it real

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've played Sonic Generations on many different platforms and higher framerates make or break that game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Chronicles is not fuckin worse than 06. It's better than either episode of Sonic 4, easily. Apart from the last-minute legal issues with the soundtrack it's a competent, if easy, RPG with fun prerendered environments and charming dialogue.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Unleashed Night is garbage, Unleashed Day is gaming ambrosia.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i found Unleashed to be basically unplayably bad in both level design and also framerate regardless of whether it was a day or night stage

as is almost always the case, you're a wrong idiot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Carpenter has good taste, Unleashed Day rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think a big part of the "automation" problem in Boost Games is how the homing attack behaves. Homing Attacks should feel the way homing into a balloon in Rooftop Run Modern does - you carry your momentum and direction with you as you bounce off. But 90% of the time, the Homing Attack (or even normally bouncing on an enemy) brings you to a total stop.

Compare, say, Spectre of Torment in Shovel Knight. Lock-on-based Homing Attack, complete with reticule, but you have speed coming out of it that you don't have in most cases in the Boost games.

If momentum is conserved through enemy impacts, the game retains its managable pace at low speeds while demanding more intense reactions and/or more precise intent when you crank your speed up.

I have a bunch of ideas for how to make Boost Sonic less automated while retaining its sense of speed and twitch reaction, honestly. I might effortpost about them.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So here's how I'd tweak the boost formula without doing a Lost World-esque backpedal away from the successes of the Boost games.

In the Genesis games, Sonic's max speed while running was higher than his max speed while rolling. This is part of why spin-to-win wasn't a reliable, braindead option. You had a mode that was faster, but vulnerable; and a safer form that could not achieve the speed necessary for many shortcuts and acrobatic maneuvers.

Therefore, "Boost Mode" will be split into two modes Sonic can enter aside from his "standard" movement suite, mapped to opposite Trigger buttons:

The Spin Dash (LT) will actually CAP Sonic's speed significantly below his maximum base-mode land speed. The animation will be replaced with a gnarly, spiky-looking Spin Attack that visibly shreds the environment, slowing Sonic down. During a Spin Dash, Sonic is invulnerable to impacts, like a traditional Boost.

This doubles as a "drift mode", akin to Sonic Generations and Unleashed, and if you turn cleanly, you can perform a Mario Kart-esque Mini Turbo and rapidly accellerate as you uncurl, provided you had enough speed going into the turn.

In contrast, the Peel Out (RT) more resembles traditional Boost gameplay. While in Peel Out, the bumpers enable Quick Stepping (in 3D) and Sonic accelerates forward without analogue stick input, allowing you to use the full horizontal range of the stick to perform minute adjustments. Peel Out does not instantly accelerate Sonic to maximum speed, however; it simply increases his rate of acceleration and removes the speed cap while altering his handling. Sonic can also charge a Peel Out from a standstill, but this is sluggish in the long run. While Peeling Out, Sonic has no invulnerability of any kind... except...

At Mach Speed (not a hard maximum but beyond a certain threshold), Sonic creates a pressure wall in front of him that can break through destructable physics objects, and which can absorb one (1) impact from a Badnik or significant projectile. Once this barrier is broken, Sonic rapidly decelerates to his default "full" running speed and has like 15 frames of invulnerability. Once vulnerable, impacts from Badniks will bring Sonic to a complete stop. Even in Mach Speed mode, Sonic can be injured by spikes and other environmental hazards.

You can go directly from Peel-Out or Mach Speed into a Spin Dash, but unless you perform a drift mini-turbo (or possibly some kind of Perfect Strike using a strict timing window before colliding with a Badnik), Sonic will lose speed during the Spin Dash according to a formula based on his pre-Spin speed.

In addition, all "Speed Boosters" used to abruptly change Sonic's direction will be replaced by "flagpoles" that Sonic can Clu Clu Land himself around to make sharp turns without losing speed. With good timing and quick reflexes, you can let go of the poles at the first opportunity and launch off without losing speed; each orbit around the poles will burn through any excess speed Sonic had going in.

Sonic's Homing Attack will be revised to retain more momentum on the off-bounce, and its lock-on range will be dynamic, dependent on the speed and direction Sonic has going in. Sonic will have a seperately-mapped Double Jump that behaves similarly to the Spin in Mario Galaxy, allowing Sonic to gain a smidge of extra height, or reset his air momentum to precisely land on a platform in 3D. Sonic will also retain a Stomp move, which will borrow from SA2 and Mario Odyssey in that jumping out of the impact of a Stomp will launch you higher than a standard jump. Pressing the Stomp button on the ground will perform a Generations-style slide that does not deal damage or grant invulnerability, but does let Sonic duck under obstacles without losing speed the way Spin Dashing would.

Light Dash is mapped to the remaining face button, to avoid any and all context-sensitive prompts. Sonic's moves are all bespoke and discreet.

To polish this all off, the HUD will feature a no-bullshit, completely honest, actual-numbers speedometer that also tracks Sonic's speed over time, allowing you to see where and when you're wasting valuable momentum. This will replace the Boost Meter because there's NO BOOST ENERGY ANYMORE.

Level design would retain the Unleashed/Generations style of interpolating racetrack experiences with 2D platforming with an emphasis on never being a bummer. Any relatively-automated setpieces would also include opportunities for expressive play and risk/reward management. A "perfect run", maintaining maximum speeds without getting hit or falling in pits, would be PlatinumGames levels of demanding, but at safer, less vulnerable speeds, anyone should be able to beat a level without making major mistakes with a little practice. The replay value would lie in maximizing your time spent fast and vulnerable and weighing those shaved-off frames against the always-available option to slow down instantly and gain resistance to damage.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 15, 2017