Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm excited to bring in this new age of Sonic. Bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

elf help book posted:

Don't forget Danica Patrick!

I'm still infinitely amused by her actually being a thing in All-Stars Racing Transformed. I can't even be mad it's so out of left field it's just amazing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

These childhood stories are nice to see. :kimchi:

My first was actually Sonic 2 and while I'm probably rusty as all hell at it I remember being a pro at that game. For some reason Hill Top Zone was always my favorite. Metropolis Zone was Actual Hell. loving mantises. :argh:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

One of my fav things about S3&K is how it all just flows together from act to act. I really feel like I'm progressing and the entire thing feels like a big giant adventure, I always feel super pumped when the "story" kicks in about halfway through Lava Reef Zone.

Sonic 2, which I've always felt isn't nearly as good as S3&K feels to me like "okay you beat this level, now play this level". To this day I can never remember what order Oil Ocean, Mystic Cave and Hill Top Zones come in at.

Hill Top -> Mystic Cave -> Oil Ocean -> Metropolis

:colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Augus posted:

It's actually the other way around. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Freedom Planet was cool and I definitely had a lot of fun with it but the difficulty curve is a hot mess. The game is easy to slide through up until Battle Glacier where you just suddenly hit a sheer cliff and it just gets exponentially worse from there. The last round with Serpentine and the final boss are completely unfun garbage.

I hope to god they don't take the same design philosophy into Freedom Planet 2.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are there any actually good Sonic ROM hacks or custom games? That aren't Dreams Collection of course. I've played through the original trilogy + CD more times than I can count but would like to play something a bit fresh in anticipation for Sonic Mania.

Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel are the ones I always recommend. Super solid classic 2D Sonic gameplay with one of the most kickin' rad original soundtracks of any fangame I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1TdWTpEWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0Yk3sOoKE

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Chrono Adventure was basically a huge experimental piece by the creator please don't take it as a quality indicator of his other work. Before/After the Sequel are super good.

But yeah, I tried to play Chrono Adventure but it's just a little too weird and not that fun.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

sharrrk posted:

sonic has never sinned

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Sonic Battle was atrocious. I remember attempting to play it and getting stuck on trying to fight Knuckles in the story because I got shitall for good moves for Emerl and kept getting dunked.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

#19 The Glacier's Peak - jmr
Sonic Advance - Ice Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7VVxXucWY

Still a big favorite of mine from ocremix. The source tune is just so gorgeous too I always loved Ice Mountain in Sonic Advance. :kiddo:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite is in Tails' storylines since they are so "Me too!" which totally fits his character. "Well if it isn't Sonic...and Tails!" I'm sorry nobody cared about you in the first go of things, lil buddy.

The best part is doing Tails' Story when you get to the Sky Deck.

"Whoah! Did you see that? It transformed!" And then Sonic just give him this glare like "no poo poo I saw it dumbass".

"I hate it when he doesn't listen to me."

Tails you precious dweeb. :allears:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I also enjoy Sonic Adventure 2. :colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I enjoyed Lost World though. It was basically Super ~Mario~ Sonic Galaxy and it was gorgeous and had lovely music and was a joy to play in my opinion.

I have to maintain my reputation as an aggressively positive poster about games. I also enjoyed Unleashed for the record.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can accept someone liking them but absolutely none of them "own real hard".

Sonic Colors. :colbert:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Chieves posted:

I maintain that if they just subbed in Knuckles for the werehog then it would get about 35% less hate.

Too bad that doesn't fix the problem of the godawful obnoxious battle theme overriding the awesome night stage music every 10 seconds.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Why

Why does this appear when I'm completely broke.

:qq:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Press Garden and Titanic Monarch both have huge Freedom Planet vibes, both in looks and music. Which makes them pretty rad to me.

Especially given that this game doesn't have a bullshit difficulty curve problem like Freedom Planet did.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

My reaction to that boss was "Oh gently caress not YOU". :argh:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Super Mode already is a seperate button though. I have to press Y while in the air to go Super. I'm using a gamepad on the PC version though, maybe it's not the same in other versions.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Knuckles Version Mirage Saloon Act 1 is incredibly drat rad. I love how the level gradually progresses from the super orange colors of being in bumfuck nowhere to the brighter light color scheme of act 2 as you get towards the end.

Also dat music.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Augus posted:

the levels in this game are so fuckin big, I'm on my fifth or sixth playthrough and I'm still seeing poo poo I've never seen before. Did you know that there's a section in Lava Reef where the lava rises up like in Hill Top Zone? I didn't!

There's a large section of undership in Flying Battery you can skip if you just don't sink through the junkpiles. I think it's even possible to do the entire Act 2 without going down there at all. poo poo's crazy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

There's a DX of After the Sequel? :aaaaa:

Chrono Adventure I really didn't dig at all. I gave it a good shot but it just felt way too scattered for me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

After doing Titanic Monarch a few times through my various playthroughs it's actually pretty straightforward and fun. Although if you go Super it makes some of the finer platforming a bit rear end to do well.

Flying Battery 2 and Press Garden 2 are still my prime top favorites though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm ready for the flood of Sonic x OC fanfics where Fist Bump takes on a completely new meaning.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

That remix of Supporting Me though. :kiddo:

I've always loved that song so much.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

gently caress Twinkle Snow, I want Ice Mountain so I can get some sweet Tee Lopes remix action of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhScNIi2rgI

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Zelder posted:

Yeah!!!

Too bad you can't purchase it anymore

Wait, why? I'd never heard of that game going off the market.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I can't decide if it's super exciting or super terrifying that this trailer has Sonic Adventure 2 levels of melodrama.

Sadly it's missing the best character from that era. RIP Rouge. Nevermind I shouldn't say things when tired.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

She's in the trailer

I blame having worked a 4:30AM shift this morning. :shepface:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I ordered a humble bundle recently but already owned the Sonic games on it, so here are some free keys!

Sonic Adventure 2
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=HB34kyTvk57nUCRd

Snip! Thanks friend I didn't actually have the Steam port of SA2 and I've actually been hankering for a replay of the game lately. My heartfelt thanks. :kiddo:

I didn't take the Generations code so it's still up for someone else.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's disappointing that at least half of Forces will be not fun to play. I felt the same way about the classic sections in Generations and these look much worse.

You seem incredibly determined to hate a game you haven't played yet.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

DarthBlingBling posted:

The 3D Sonic games have a pretty good reputation so I don't know why you won't give this a chance

People have called every single Sonic game in recent years poo poo before release just due to the Sonic Cycle but we still got gems like Colors, Unleashed (well half of it anyways), and Generations. I just generally find it silly to dismiss the game entirely before anyone even has their hands on it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Eh, I'm just a hopeless optimist so I realize I'm incredibly misplaced in this dead gay internet forum. The footage seen so far does look weak, not contesting that, I'm just withholding utmost judgment for release.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

My cousin is a little bit of a loose cannon but I'm glad he's doing well.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Just lol if you don't like Fly in the Freedom and all of Rouge's jazzy stage themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3efbFgPLC0

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I unironically love Rouge actually. She played Eggman and Shadow like fiddles (while not even bothering to use an alias) in SA2 and took no bullshit from anyone in Heroes. I forget what she was doing in Shadow the Hedgehog but she's still pretty awesome.

Sadly it seems like she's been booted to tertiary character based on her 1 second appearance in the background in the Forces story trailer.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

On one hand I'm a little weirded out by sudden cutscene mid-stage... but on the other at least it isn't more QTEs that kill you if you fail.

I'm really digging this cheesy rock aesthetic to the soundtrack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Saint's Row Duck is loving awesome though.