Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Showdown trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

On that note, do we have confirmation on Sage’s English VA yet (apparently she’s voiced by Megumi Hayashibara in Japan)?

I will admit I'm mostly voice-blind, but going off Twitter videos, she sounds a lot like Tara Strong

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If I'm not running on yellow platforms on top of blue pipes above purple liquid can you even call it a Sonic game

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's similar segments, whether it's jumping up a path in a right left right pattern or running up a spiral pillar as it falls out from under you before hitting a spring and going through some boost rings that may or may not lead to a grind rail

Wonder if we'll actually get a level comparison video

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The PC mod scene should be fun, at least

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

So I was looking through the achievement list for the game and was curious about something, what do they mean by “side stories” (there’s apparently some you can complete on each island)?

Probably little events/cutscenes that explain why things are the way they are, perhaps like the Force Echoes in Jedi Fallen Order being little stories about each world you visit (so here's hoping they reward you with exp or items for going out of your way to explore every nook and cranny)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

Meanwhile, in Sonic Adventure 2:

The fact it's an edit of a Bloodborne meme's great, given how labyrinthine those levels are :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Loving the damage numbers

Dealing 10k in two moves is so satisfying

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Someone who says "I'm the coolest" is in fact the coolest, yes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I notice we haven’t seen any alternate Sonics in any of these universes yet (I imagine they exist though what with there being alternate versions of everyone else)

Probably been killed by the Council of Eggs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

god knows i'm not shy about saying the switch's hardware sucks but why would you downgrade every version of the game to match the console that runs slightly better than one made of cardboard

Does anyone even remember Nintendo Labo?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OST's on all major music platforms now too

https://open.spotify.com/album/52exAJ8OkzVCXKTJ2FrcYA

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1603164799239536641

The image descriptions are fantastic

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

As I said, the Knight is almost literally a Metal Gear Rising boss (moreso than the others for that matter). It’s probably the highlight of the entire third island in my opinion.

On another note, Prime is out on Netflix now. Anybody have a chance to check it out yet?

Haven't seen it in full, but the clips look alright; like a slightly better polished modern game cutscene vibe (although not on the level of the pre-rendered opening ones), for better or worse

Only real review I've seen was grumbling about the camerawork triggering their motion sickness

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Prime Knuckles' voice is...not great; it sounds like his VA didn't get any real direction beyond "he's a thick meathead who punches good"

Very flat "I am reading a grocery list" delivery

Fingers crossed the variants have a little more life to them

E: oh thank god they do

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 15, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder how long it's going to take for Frontiers to get Prime outfits DLC for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy - probably once the latter get their playable DLC next year?

Hopefully we also get the Eggmen skins too, 'cause Weeaboo Eggman would be hysterical

KingKalamari posted:

Apparently the alternate universe Knuckles have a different voice actor than the Prime version for some reason?

*checks*

Huh, Ashleigh Ball's got some drat impressive range to be voicing six separate characters (two Tails, Knux, and three Eggmen)

Good for her

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

No you shouldn't

Got I remember getting stuck on the Knuckles fight in chapter one for the longest time because I had no points to equip good moves

Nowadays I use the Phi Farm at Tails' House to rack up an easy 5 per; you can do the first half of the fight, get the points, then lose the second fight, which kicks you back to the first fight, and rinse, wash, repeat until you can equip everything you need

Also why is the cap 500 when you need almost 700 to equip all the Ultimate moves, which are next to useless because the AI auto-blocks the basic attack string since they count as special moves, so the only useful one is the Heavy attack :argh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

amigolupus posted:

If they're really leaning into Shadow as Vegeta then SEGA should make him the Ultimate Wifeguy. And also have to put up with an rear end in a top hat cat god constantly visiting him for food recommendations.

Sonic... does have a strong purple cat

Two of 'em, even

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eggman's in his 40s and Big is eternal

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sweet Mama Robotnik; I'd rather see Sonic kiss a thousand planks of wood wearing wigs than see that ever again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I have a lot of fun just zoning out and completing the map, attacking enemies, drawing shapes with cyloop and suddenly I've got 40 skill points on top of half the skills unlocked, and I'm barely halfway through island two

Had my first meteor shower and nabbed over 300 purple coins, so there's Attack, Defense, and Speed sitting at comfortable levels as well

Game's a lot of fun and I can't wait to see them improve on it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just grab 400 rings and scream over the islands, defeating enemies, completing puzzles, having the camera jerked out of your control by enemies flying into the air to deploy homing targets for you to - aaaand you've just thrown yourself off a cliff because you couldn't see where you were going...

Giving Sonic room to run and then actually letting you control that is far more fun than it has any right being

Now if only we had the brighter happier textures of the old games to zoom around instead of realistic greens, browns, and grays

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

This is just confirmation of the trading he was arrested for, not a third arrest

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Technically you can make Whisper in Forces as she was apparently inspired by this Avatar design:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/7/7a/WhisperForces.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190505123745

If you're linking to wiki images, change "static" to "vignette" in the url so other people can see them, either when they click on it or if you're using [img] tags after deleting all the junk after .jpg (revisionlatest etc)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kikas posted:

The new villains they introduced recently are pretty cool, I hope we get to see Surge and Kisunami is the games one day. Although Starline himself is too busy of a design to fit the game asthetic :v:

Not...really?

No worse than Infinite or a well-dressed Avatar

Also - heh - he's based off the "**********/Wechnia" glitch from Knuckles' Chaotix, hence the name "Starline"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Delphisage posted:

Been catching up on Archie Sonic over the last couple weeks, recently made it into the late 70s.

How are you enjoying it so far? Any standout characters or arcs?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShinraToga/status/1619837241920196608
The Sonic fandom really is second to none

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

i think shadow would either be a surprisingly good cook or just stoically chew through a box of dry pasta, no in-between

He breaks spaghetti into elbow noodle-sized pieces one at a time and was promptly banned from the kitchen

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

So this video just popped up on my queue and I feel like I need to talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FORojqg2ZNY

So the guy's core principle, that there's a really rewarding experience to be had by playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles while trying to maximize your final score, seems fine enough...But then things almost immediately start getting weirdly elitist with him claiming everyone playing the game normally are playing on "mellow mode" and their opinions on the game are less valid? Also I don't think he needed to spend almost an hour explaining what is a pretty simple concept that I think most people will understand after the first 10 minutes? There's also this weird level of specificity and over-explanation of things?

Pretty standard video essay fair

Try watching a four or five hour essay and take a drink every time they repeat something

(Don't, actually, the hospital bill isn't worth it)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's way more Shadow of the Colossus, but AoT's far fresher in everyone's minds

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

life size character dolls made of human bones yet.

You mean the Sally Acorn one? The bones were carved from wood

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's a part of the story where it makes sense to play as them, but like the last boss on anything other than Hard, it's done offscreen through a cutscene

Hopefully there's more to it than that though, and open world play with them wouldn't be too out there, given you're on an island, and Knuckles can only glide, and Tails gets tired, so it's not like you'd make it any further away or up into the air than Sonic can

Amy's probably the least changed, although I doubt she'll have the air wave attack that Sonic does, so she gets to run in and use her hammer (or maybe they'll remember her Boxercizing from Sonic Battle and use that too)

Heck, give everyone their Battle movesets - let Amy make tornadoes, let Knuckles call down meteors, let Tails unleash homing bombs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Advance 1 and 2 also gave Sonic a forward air-dash ability (pressing left/right 3 times in A1 and twice in A2)

Only real useful in A2 since it let you close in on bosses faster

Also, holding the jump button while jumping onto rails would cause you to leap off early and do aerial tricks at the cost of distance (which A2/3 mitigates by letting you press R in midair for a movement trick depending on the direction held, although in A3 you need specific partners to pull it off)

In A1, pressing B twice then A as Sonic would cause him to leap backwards while spinning

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

VostokProgram posted:

Seriously? He owns knuckles???

Just a whooooole bunch of lookalikes (some of which got more unique designs as the series art evolved)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Google pays for my comics and in exchange I do surveys where I tell them that once again I've been grocery shopping, the same as the previous time they asked.
:hmmyes:
But do you or anyone in your immediate household work in the following industries...?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Errrgh, the camera is treated as a physical object in camera mode, which means it'll get stuck on the walls, ground, ceiling, and Sonic

ffs, NoClip has been a thing for literally decades at this point, USE IT

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pulsarcat posted:

I think this might literally be the highest rated Sonic game on steam.
And I absolutely enjoyed it.

I hope the outfits the characters wore end up as costumes in other games, they were all so great.

They'll probably be in the mobile Forces game at some point, given that's pretty much the only (supported) game with costumes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You wouldn't punch an egg, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Augus posted:

not seeing the part where any of that matters, big would destroy him

Looper posted:

in sonic x eggman becomes a beloved and very successful pro wrestler. big would still win but it'd be a match for the ages

EL GRAN GORDO should appear in more things