Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Problem description: I have an 2600k on an MSI Z77A-GD55 that is about 5 years old. The drat thing won't POST unless it is immediately after I reset the BIOS. Every subsequent boot attempt fails without any display output and no sign of power to the mouse or keyboard. Even trying to boot with default settings fails.

Short of taking the whole drat thing apart and putting it back together in hope that will fix whatever mystery is going on, is there anything I should try? The motherboard is 4-5 years old, so would it be worth trying to reflow the drat thing? Not many Z77A motherboards left out there, so I don't know how easy/cheap it would be to replace the drat thing, and the 2600k still has plenty of life left in it.

Motherboard aside, could the memory or PSU be the problem. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Attempted fixes: hosed with BIOS stuff and disconnected system components.

Recent changes: I replaced the two GTX760s with a GTX1070, and tweaked a few BIOS settings, such as bringing up memory timings and disabling unused motherboard/cpu features. I overvolted the memory (from 1.50v to 1.58v) as it refused to work at its suggested 9-9-9-24 1600mhz timings at default voltage.

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10

System specs: MSI Z77A-GD55, 2600k, GTX 1070, 16gb 1600mhz RAM, SSD, 3 disk 6tb array.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: just checked my amazon history, and the motherboard is about 3 years old. could the CMOS battery be bad already? the date and time stay accurate even after CMOS reset, so I figure the battery isn't the issue. maybe the PSU is the issue? it is coming up on five years. I don't know where to start aside from taking the thing apart, and ordering various parts to see what is wrong.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

These are the things I'd try in no particular order:

-Use onboard video temporarily.

-Run Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

-Try booting without non-essential peripherals (no HDs etc.)

-Update bios https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AGD55.html#down-bios

If none of those four things make any difference I'd take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a nonconductive surface. Then use a key/paperclip to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (this eliminates your computer case as being an issue).

Trying a different PSU at this point is an option as well.

TenementFunster posted:

could the CMOS battery be bad already? the date and time stay accurate even after CMOS reset, so I figure the battery isn't the issue.

Usually when the BIOS battery dies it just means your settings are not retained. Replacing the battery in rare circumstances could have an effect though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah, new battery did gently caress all. i'll try memtest and onboard video next..

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
after taking out the GPU and playing musical chairs with the memory (two 4gb sticks instead of four), i got it to boot into windows. I ordered a 2x8gb set of memory, and after i swapped that in it's back to the original problem no matter what memory I'm using.

now that I've ruled out memory as an issue, is the next step to fully disassemble and start from square one? would it be worthwhile to try a new PSU? I'd have to wait a few days for a new one to get in, but i'd really like to avoid finding a used motherboard on ebay unless i'm totally sure the mobo is the issue.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

now that I've ruled out memory as an issue, is the next step to fully disassemble and start from square one? would it be worthwhile to try a new PSU? I'd have to wait a few days for a new one to get in, but i'd really like to avoid finding a used motherboard on ebay unless i'm totally sure the mobo is the issue.

Yea, it's possible it's a PSU issue (especially if it's older) so you could try a new one first if you wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
no change with the new PSU. gonna try a complete teardown and rebuild with the existing motherboard. looks like I'll be ordering a used socket 1155 mobo off of eBay if that doesn't work. :sigh:

• Locked thread