Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

These are the things I'd try in no particular order:

-Use onboard video temporarily.

-Run Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

-Try booting without non-essential peripherals (no HDs etc.)

-Update bios https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AGD55.html#down-bios

If none of those four things make any difference I'd take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a nonconductive surface. Then use a key/paperclip to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (this eliminates your computer case as being an issue).

Trying a different PSU at this point is an option as well.

TenementFunster posted:

could the CMOS battery be bad already? the date and time stay accurate even after CMOS reset, so I figure the battery isn't the issue.

Usually when the BIOS battery dies it just means your settings are not retained. Replacing the battery in rare circumstances could have an effect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

now that I've ruled out memory as an issue, is the next step to fully disassemble and start from square one? would it be worthwhile to try a new PSU? I'd have to wait a few days for a new one to get in, but i'd really like to avoid finding a used motherboard on ebay unless i'm totally sure the mobo is the issue.

Yea, it's possible it's a PSU issue (especially if it's older) so you could try a new one first if you wanted to.

• Locked thread