Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_QI61YI5g

Kick some rear end, Commander.

Released in, well, 2012, XCOM 2012 is a fantastic reboot and spiritual successor to the tough as nails original XCOM trilogy. And that's what we're gonna see: some tough as nails aliens, a large array of explosions and mechs and flying snipers and high cover crits and it's gonna be freaking sweet!

To be upfront, this is not gonna be a nice and easy time learning the game and its mechanics, this is a crazy experience fighting the best the game has to offer, while we dive straight in like the masters of this tactical turned based shooter that we are. Sure, it won't be all high octane action, as we struggle against the deadly Thin Mints and their Floating friends, but we will persevere and we will kick some ayyyyyyyyyys!

So if you want to be a part of that, :siren: then sign the gently caress up! :siren: It's gonna be some tense times, cause I'm not the perfect player of this game and I don't give a rat's rear end. You're gonna die, you're gonna like it and others will be lucky to follow in your shoes and survive the first mission like you did. It's gonna be hardcore. It's a spoiler-filled, modded-up, Second Wave crammed party and you're all invited bitches!

If you really want to read up on all the technical crap of the mods I'm using, or the Second Wave choices, or hell, even the reason why I've chosen Asia, or why I'm choosing 4 Scientists for the first Abduction, then you can read all that :frogsiren: here :frogsiren:, but honestly, if you trust me, then I can ensure that at least some of you will make it to the end. To then die horribly in the final room. BUT THAT'LL COUNT AS A WIN MOTHERFUCKER

Just to be clear: this is not Long War, or even XCOM 2, cause I don't give a poo poo about those (and cause my lovely laptop can only do medium settings on this game), just simple, normal, hardcore XCOM 2012.

Feel free to talk about anything to do with the series, this game, the next game, anything at all. Go right ahead! Wanna talk about how I'm terrible at strategy and make bad choices on the base management? GO RIGHT AHEAD!

And if you wanna watch some Impossible Ironman that's Live and Dangerous, then GO. RIGHT. AHEAD.

#00: OPERATION TUTORIAL polsy
#01: OPERATION CURSED KNIFE polsy
#02: OPERATION BLINDING FALL polsy
#03: OPERATION BANISHED STRANGER polsy
#04: OPERATION STONE TEARS polsy
#05: OPERATION BLINDING RING polsy
#06: OPERATION SEVERED SKULL polsy

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:frogsiren: SIGN UPS :frogsiren:

Obviously you want to be a part of this LP, I can see it in your beautiful mind controlled eyes. So, it's very simple, fill out this form and send it to me via crosspeice @ gmail . com. Or PM it me, if you have given the Lowtax his low tax. I won't be accepting too many submissions, so be quick!

If you want to be really technical, then list the numbers that you want for something specific, otherwise, go with what you more or less want and I'll see what I can do. Or pick random. Thanks to Jade Star for covering all the options in his XCOM 2012 LP!

First name, Last name (11 characters and 15 characters, respectively)
(Please include a name for both genders as I cannot guarantee you'll be the one you want. )
Language (Between English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Polish)
Voice (Choose between 1-6)
Race (Choose between 1-4) (White/Black/Asian/Latino)
Skin Colour (Choose between 1-6) (Shades of above)
Head (Choose between 1-9) (Big? Small? It's just a head, pick whatever)
Hair/Helmet (Choose between 1-41) (Normal/Styled/Guile Hair/Beret/Fedora/Military Helmet/Sci-Fi Helmet)
Hair Colour (Choose between 1-24) (We've probably got it)
Facial Hair (Choose between 1-24) (Clean/Goatee/Stubble/Beard) (Male only, alas)
Armour Deco (Choose between 1-3) (Standard/Heavy Plate/Military Utility)
Armour Tint (Choose between 0-32) (You wanna be hot pink? Then you gotta be hot stuff!)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 29, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm in. I'm always game for more Xcom lps.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Sent my submission in. Used this character in another game, hopefully it'll go as well in this one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Submission is in. Looking forward to being horribly murdered.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Someone submit a Duke / Duchess Nukem to pair with my Doom Guy / Girl. Show'em how we dealt with Invasions in the 90's.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Submitted my character via PM! Looking forward to the LP :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Offering up another of my past Volunteers to die for X-COM once more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Another Redshirt sent.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

Sent in a submission . I can't wait to die for earth.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Probably should note that if you want to be a specific gender then you might not get that as I can't change how many of each the game gives me. Right now, I've got a lot of girls in the barracks, so if need be, that's what you'll get even if you're called Brian, or want a badass beard.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Submission sent! Good Luck I would also like to see a few tv characters included if you are missing numbers.

Gonna go
Archer
Jack Bauer
Buster!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And we have our first death, ladies and gentlemen. Is it related to a missed 97% shot? Find out sometime next week!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

And we have our first death, ladies and gentlemen. Is it related to a missed 97% shot? Find out sometime next week!

Hahaha, I'm glad XCOM Ironman doesn't fail to deliver.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Playing a bit of this again myself now. Normal, of course, as I am not a good Commander.

First mission went rather well, in spite of my first map being the Goddamn Train Yard. One rookie got flanked but only rolled two points of damage, then flanked the Sectoid who shot her and got revenge. Squaddie Human Shield rolled support upon promotion, and is ready to take fire meant for other people.

Mission two was an abduction mission, into which was sent a fresh batch of Rookies. No damage taken.

Mission three was a crashed UFO in an urban setting. Sent another four four man rookie group. Found the UFO and an Outsider before anything else on the map, the fucker flanked and critted for 7 damage an 80 Aim Rookie. RIP. Another Rookie got dropped to 1 HP by a Sectoid critting for 4, but did not panic over it (unlike the guy next to her). Had to grenade 4 Sectoids or we'd have been overrun.

Of my three survivors on that mission, all of them promoted into loving SUPPORTS. I have 1 Heavy (Doom Guy), 1 Sniper (Wesley Snipes), 1 Assault (Shotgun Sniper (she has 88 aim as a Squaddie)), and 4 frigging Supports (Human Shield, Plasma Magnet, Field Medic, Para Medic).

Human Shield was awarded the Urban Combat Medal (+5 Defense in Cover, "Order of the Purple Target"), and Plasma Magnet was awarded the Defender's Medal (Never Panic, "Diazepam Prescription").

I can't wait to see what else will go wrong.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone else handles Rookies the way I do? I use Not Created Equal, and Rookies get ordered in batches, anyone less than 65 Aim gets dismissed and those that remain get renamed to Rookie [Aim Value]. If they survive a mission and promote, they get named something related to their class or something they did during the mission. Not sure what I'm going to do for nicknames, but the game itself is usually good at picking something appropriate.

Edit: Upon reflection, I can't be too mad at having 4 supports. That means I've got one per squad, if I decide to roll with four complete squads for missions (which I might). So there's that.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 30, 2016

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
Submission sent. I love this game, can't wait to see how much damage I get crit for in high cover. :)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

#02: OPERATION BLINDING FALL polsy

If you don't clench your butts when a Sectoid shoots, then you're losing control of the situation.

Regardless, I think that mission went relatively well, despite a couple missteps. We'll see if this affects us in the coming weeks, but maybe we might get a nice break? Still, this difficulty is only just getting started and we need to start the ball rolling, or get loving annihilated.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Video broke for me about 9 minutes in, and I can't get it to play at all now. Maybe it's not done uploading?

You apparently have more hats than I have in my game, as the number I gave you for Doom Guy should have been the helmet with the T-Shaped visor, not the beret. I do appreciate that you made him a Shottyman, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Video broke for me about 9 minutes in, and I can't get it to play at all now. Maybe it's not done uploading?

You apparently have more hats than I have in my game, as the number I gave you for Doom Guy should have been the helmet with the T-Shaped visor, not the beret. I do appreciate that you made him a Shottyman, though.

That's annoying. Working fine on my end. It uploaded and finished processing about 2 hours ago, so YT is being lovely I guess.

I do have all the DLC, but maybe a mod sneaked some options in and that's screwing with the numbers. I can easily change it though.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Oh, I've always enjoyed seeing XCOM played by people much better at it than I am. I'll be in for this.

I don't remember Meld at all. Was that added by Enemy Within?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I do have all the DLC, but maybe a mod sneaked some options in and that's screwing with the numbers. I can easily change it though.

It turns out that even though I thought I had all the DLC, I don't! So that's why my hat number was off.

BTW, Doom Guy didn't panic there. He just got so mad that he forgot to move. Or shoot.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

I don't remember Meld at all. Was that added by Enemy Within?

Yes, it's used for a bunch of stuff we haven't seen yet.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
The stuff meld is used for is my favourite stuff. The fun but kind of impractical stuff.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

#03: OPERATION BANISHED STRANGER polsy

I will say my bad on not learning all the new Rookies' names and keeping track of who got kills and that. But you also could've hit some shots... just saying. Anyway, simple enough mission, crashed UFOs usually are, so let's get into the nitty gritty of the aliens we're facing. I'll be listing their stats and abilities, with their Classic stats in brackets for reference. Let's start with the Sectoids.

Sectoids are nasty critters that you'll be facing all of March, so get ready to be hit for 6 crit behind full cover, cause there's nothing you can really do about it. They have 75 (65) Aim, 10% innate crit chance (10), 4 (3) goddamn health , 12 (12) mobility and 10 (10) Will. The 75 Aim is pretty scary as it means they have a 35% chance to hit a soldier behind full cover, instead of 25% in Classic. As we're gonna be seeing them all month, it means a lot of 35% chances are gonna roll and eventually, one will succeed. They hold a Plasma Pistol, which does between 2-4 damage, but can crit for 5-7 damage, easily enough to kill any XCOM operative for a wee while.

As for abilities, Mind Merge is the main one. One Sectoid buffs another Sectoid within line of sight and gives it +1 health, +25% crit chance and +25 Will. So they have a 35% to hit and a 35% to crit and 5 HP. That's actually pretty dangerous. But, if you kill the Sectoid that initiated the Mind Merge, then both linked Sectoids will die, very useful if you can do it. They also have Suppression. Honest. I have seen them use it like once or twice, usually when it's with a Mechtoid and it has nothing else to really do. Suppression prevents the opponent from moving and give them a -30% penalty to their Aim. If they move, then the suppressor can take a free reaction shot. A number of more dangerous enemies have this ability and if a Sectoid uses it, then be thankful, cause it's a bit of a useless turn for it.

Outsiders are also pretty nasty, but thankfully you only really encounter one at a time and they have pretty low health. Still they have 90 (80) Aim, a 10% crit chance (10), 5 (5) health, 17 (12) mobility and 20 (20) Will. So these guys can move really far and have a 50% chance to hit your guys behind full cover. That's a coin flip, pure and simple. How many of those do you want to flip? They have a Light Plasma Rifle also, which thankfully does not give them +10 Aim and +10% crit chance like they do for us. It does between 4-6 damage normally, enough to kill a Rookie no matter what, with 8-10 crit damage. So yeah, do not let these guys take a shot. It will not end well. They also have Suppression and if you're willing to run the reaction fire, it probably won't go too well.

But that's all the aliens for now. There's still plenty of nasty surprises waiting just around the corner. Or literally next month. Should be a fun time.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, our first fatality. Impossible Ironman does not pull any punches.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Oh god, my submission died so quick! Brutal!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Badass Pokemon LP's, let's play the game that sidetracked you so many times!
Sign me up please, preferably as an assault with a giant green fro'!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

#04: OPERATION STONE TEARS polsy

Another Abduction mission. Will it go as well as the last one? We'll see. Aside from that, we reach the end of the month, so there's a lot of base planning to do. I think my strategy is sound, but we'll see if it works out later on down the road.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I haven't yet played XCOM on any difficulty higher than Normal, but why didn't you put the satellite above one of the countries that had full panic? It would have stopped them from leaving, right?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

I haven't yet played XCOM on any difficulty higher than Normal, but why didn't you put the satellite above one of the countries that had full panic? It would have stopped them from leaving, right?

My recollection is that Canada was offering an immediate payment of 200 xcombux for establishing satellite coverage, and XCOM cares more about money than about a few countries here and there succumbing to the grey horror from the skies.

The alien abduction pods never seem to get talked about in the game, despite being used as a symbol for alien terror in the intro cinematic. You don't even get to recover them for alien materials after a mission ends, which struck me as odd. They're neat contraptions -- sending out nasty green webs of paralyzing goop to capture every civilian in the area and keep them packaged up for the Thin Men to cart away -- but every character seems to just ignore them.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
XCOM only recognises civilian life by movement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

but every character seems to just ignore them.

To the contrary, they're a great source of cover. :v:

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
You asked for medal names so I suggest renaming the Defender's Medal to Ezra Simpson Remembrance Shield.

I feel that being the first soldier to die in the LP deserves some sort of prize. :patriot:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

#05: OPERATION BLINDING RING polsy

It's our second ever UFO crash and it could definitely be a toughie. The introduction of a new enemy doesn't help in the slightest, but hopefully we'll pull through.

Seekers are interesting, but not particularly dangerous. When discovered, they cloak and turn invisible. The only way to see them is checking which tiles you can't move to, usually ones right next to the soldier they're about to attack. They don't change all that much between Classic and Impossible, having 65 (65) Aim, 10% (10) chance to crit, 20 (20) Defense, which technically puts them in low cover no matter what, 6 (5) health, 16 (16) mobility and 0 (0) Will. These are the first robotic enemies we face, so they are immune to fire, poison and most Psionic abilities, as well as being immune to the Arc Thrower. They do have a Plasma Pistol, but they pretty much never use it, as they prefer to get right up close to a soldier, decloak, and then Strangle. On the off chance they do shoot something, they decloak first and will do the same amount of damage as a Sectoid. A Seeker decloaking will trigger Overwatch, even if they are forced to decloak.

Strangling causes 2 initial damage and then 1 damage for every turn thereafter. This puts the Seeker in a very prone position, but as we saw, they can sometimes be glitched and also have flying evasion while doing this. This gives them a further +20 defence while in the air, so it can get very frustrating to hit these suckers. But usually if you find them on the ground, then they shouldn't be hard to hit. One way to reveal Seekers is to throw a grenade at them, which will damage them, but also decloak them. If you hit a Seeker that's strangling, then they will detach themselves and the soldier will be in a state of "catching breath" for the rest of the turn, giving them -75% to movement and -50% to Aim.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good grief, do Ironman runs eventually get less nervewracking once you get some promotions and gear under your belt, or does the enemy's own progression on impossible never let you escape from the "two hits (or one crit) away from death" threshold?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm getting a firm instruction in how not-actually-any-good at XCOM I was.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Good grief, do Ironman runs eventually get less nervewracking once you get some promotions and gear under your belt, or does the enemy's own progression on impossible never let you escape from the "two hits (or one crit) away from death" threshold?

eventually, sure. once you hit late-game you can start mopping up pretty easy, as a few armors really break the game.

good luck getting to the late-game though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

#06: OPERATION SEVERED SKULL polsy

Had a small break, but hey, let's talk about those Thin FLOATERS. Floaters can be pretty tricky enemies that can fly around the map and charge your soldiers. They have 60 (60) Aim, 10% (10) chance to crit, 6 (4) health, 12 (12) mobility and 10 (10) Will. So they haven't changed much from Classic, but they can by a pain, since they can become Airbourne as long as they have fuel. Like Seekers, this gives them +20 Defense and sometimes a glitch will activate that lets them fly and be behind cover, giving them 60 Defense in the best case. Their other skill is Launch, letting them fly over to any square on the map, which they usually do to move behind your soldiers and flank them. They can't use it indoors and it takes up their whole turn, so it's not often a huge deal, just annoying. They also have a Light Plasma Rifle, so they can do some real damage and kill a soldier no problem, especially with a crit.

Speaking of killing a soldier no problem, let's talk about Thin Men. They have 75 (75) Aim, so as much as an Impossible Sectoid, with a 10% (10) chance to crit, 6 (4) health, 15 (15) mobility and 15 (15) Will. Interestingly, they have a -2 Damage Modifier on Easy and Normal, but from Classic onwards they'll wreck you with their Light Plasma Rifle. Their abilities are also pretty nasty, being able to Leap onto tall buildings and get a height advantage, technically giving them 95 Aim at a moment's notice. So in the best case scenario, they have a 55% chance to hit a soldier behind full cover. Nasty. They can also use Poison Spit, which doesn't do damage initially, but for the next 3-5 turns, a soldier will take 1 damage every turn, unless healed. Soldiers carrying a Medkit are immune to Poison as well as the Poison clouds they spit and leave behind after they die. The best way to kill a Thin Man up close is doing it from 1 tile away to avoid the poison, though usually the shot sends the Thin Man back a tile or two. Poisoned units suffer -20 Aim and -3 mobility and Thin Men are immune to each other's clouds. Finally, they also know Suppression, but if they decide to use it then they are doing the least worst thing they could do on their turn.

So we'll be seeing both of these aliens a fair amount in the coming months, so I hope you like them. Please also do leave suggestions for Famethrowa's nickname, congrats on finally promoting, maybe now you'll stop being so useless.

Also if you haven't submitted a soldier, you are perfectly fine to!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 15, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well I sent myself in, I look forward to being horribly massacred as I likely would during an alien invasion.

e: also Womanly Grunting just sounds weird as hell to me, given how I based my username off of a track from LISA: The Painful RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you "properly" utilize the Officer School, the difficulty is going to take a sharp dive downward.

• Locked thread