Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange sky
May 7, 2007

Aaaaand we're back.

After the huge upset last year because the most beautiful football in Portugal didn't win, we're back for another round of Primeira Liga!

This is definitely going to be a special year, after all we're the Champions of Europe!

You might remember this game: the most boring game in the history of the Euros, until this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwzGYmo5h4

The best goal of the Euro, by far. But now the french people claim that Lloris was injured, and that's why they lost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH1AHOhKn7s

Sore losers. Even without our God and saviour

The french were not good enough to avoid Eder, a player that we thought so bad that he was going into a career as a mime.

Important Players

The transfer window is still open, but if all players remain in Portugal we have:

Eliseu, the best left back in recorded Benfica history. Also known as picanha. No, not piranha, picanha.

João Mário, the only guy with the butt to compete with Ronaldo. Just look at that butt.
He's a good player but didn't really stand out in the Euro.

Adrien Silva, the hottest guy in Sporting CP since Cedric left.

Rui Patricio, or "Saint Patricio". He did indeed stand out at the Euro. Talks a bit like a special person.

Jonas "Pistolas", the best scorer of the last season. A pretty hardworking, good player.

Islam Slimani, the guy who kneels and praises Allah everytime he scores. Humble but crazy and agressive as gently caress, never quits on a ball.

https://www.facebook.com/SLBenfica/videos/10157197046680716/

The golden boy of 2015/2016, Renato Sanches. He's gone to Bayern but deserves an honorable mention.

And the best of all the players in the league:

Iker Casillas. Hell of a player. Love everything about him. He has wonderful plays, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lha5YfcjA&t=19s

Important Characters

Sir Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa, the godfather and also president of FC Porto. In the last 30 years he had everyone in his pocket and won a lot of leagues in Portugal. Keep in mind this is a very corrupt country and football has the worst rap, due to wire taps revealing Pinto da Costa offered prostitutes (which he referred to as "fruit") to referees. All of this washed over, Porto is going through a bad time due to a lot of money badly spent, and someone has come to replace him:

Luis Filipe Vieira. The president of Benfica, he's the new godfather in Portugal. Everyone's in his pocket, and everything is going oh so smoothly for Benfica.

Meanwhile, we have an outcast that came to stir things up a bit:

Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting CP's president, is without a doubt the most hated person in Portugal. He's a huge twat a lot of the time but I as a Sporting CP fan and paying customer have no doubt he is doing (or trying to do) what's best for the club.

This is the standing in 2015/2016:

Here are the teams that are playing this year:

The calendar:

The best looking players!

We have some hotties in Portugal:

This thread will have more information regarding the league soon, but that's it for now folks, we have a space to talk about the best league in Europe!

May the best win!

orange sky fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You are right, I'm going to make it better soon!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The OP is a bit better now. If you have anything to add (especially you, MBM) go ahead and PM me.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hector Herrera not in the OP, voting one and blocking you, you fuckman

Look again

orange sky
May 7, 2007

advanced statsman posted:

Portugal are the champions of europe. UEFA supremacy!!!!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah I like Cervi. Benfica still producing nice goals but with some defence failures. It's gonna be a cool year. Now I just want a striker in SCP.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Benfica as a insane squad right now. The Starting 11 is slightly worse than last season but theres almost 0% drop in quality from starters to subs pretty much across the board.they might be angling for a euro cup run in the next couple of seasons.

Except maybe Eliseu and center backs

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I have to stop feeling good about Benfica because they Just shitted the bed and drawed at home against Setúbal.hope is a mistake.Porto and Sporting won without much trouble,even if unspectacularly.setubal seems to be a good team with a good coach so im picking half their squad for my fantasy league.

I was in the stadium and they did indeed put up a good fight, they had almost as many opportunities as Benfica.

This is going to be an interesting league. Sporting x Porto next week, woo!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also I have to say this:

lol Carrillo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Meh carrillo has been kinda poo poo but he basically didnt play last season.grimaldo was more or less in the same situation last year and it took him 4 months to be match ready.if carrillo doesnt improve until january then i'll agree we have a turd albatross in our hands.or as Benfica fans Call it, a taraabt.

Yeah but for every month he doesn't perform there's 450k leaving the Benfica coffers.

Also he's an absolute rear end in a top hat, inconsistent and you'll find that us Sporting fans were in the right regarding him.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yesterday Benfica won against Nacional with 3 ridiculous loving goals, one of them scored by Carrillo (I feel like puking just writing this name, gently caress this guy). They are now waiting for this round's game, Sporting vs Porto. If any of you want to watch the game I'm sure you can find something on Arenavision, it'll be worth it. It's a sacred game, Jesus vs Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit)!

Also, João Mário went to Inter for 40+5M euros. A good deal but I wish he went to a better team..

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Losing all our best players....feels bad man. at least Adrien and Rui Patricio are staying.

e: Still, selling one of ours kids for 45 million and Slimani who we bought just three seasons ago for 300k and we now sell for 30 million. drat the Benfica and Porto fans are right: Bruno de Carvalho really is sinking our club, will there be any Sporting left when he's done? what a monster

:clint:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ohhh, poo poo...

Adrien and Slimani going to Leicester?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrQFBYgwQW8

gently caress!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Adrien's acting like a bitch to be honest. Didn't expect this from him, but I guess we can expect this from anyone when there's a lot of money involved.

Even more amazing is that Jorge Mendes tried to sell him and he's not even his agent anymore (!!) what the gently caress.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hope not, it's a lot of money and we're gonna get Markovic.

Also:

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/slimani-i-will-give-everything-for-leicester-city-3284369.aspx#tLsZFZGhI0OuCDp1.99

LCFC say it's their last signing: no Adrien Silva.

He'll be a bit pissed but I don't give a gently caress: he renewed in February with a big signing bonus and earns more than anyone else on the team. Why he'd try to bail when 2 days are left on the transfer window is beyond me. I hope he doesn't get to be captain again for a while after this.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Put the videos of the goals here when it ends!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks. Nelson imo is great at attacking (very very fast) but needs more defense training. Him and grimaldo are gonna be the poo poo.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah a lot of injuries for Benfica, Benfica Lab is working very well indeed.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

omfg Sporting what the gently caress

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lindo. BTW it's dead because there's no games.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Portuguese coaches are always the best. Spreading tradition all over the world.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

We've turned to utter poo poo

Indeed

Can't play to save our lives. loving Tondela and Nacional, what?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lol benfica can't play for poo poo, let's just throw the ball to sporting's side and hope for the best

After a loving obvious penalty that the ref overlooked somehow

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Eh, a tie would be the just result, but I still believe that scp will be the champions even if we lose, we're pretty good

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Good game, well played, poo poo refing but eh whatever. Let's go boys, win everything else for us SPOOORTING!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/240017852812576/videos/721329708014719/

never a pen

rotfl

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Too bad that the angle I showed earlier wasn't shown in BTV until much later after the game, when most of the newspapers had already done their evaluation of the plays.

And lol just lol if you think Nelson Semedo's wasn't a penalty. I want to see if you think the same when it's against benfica. The same guys that whined saying Gelson's goal had a handball in it now think this isn't one. Jesus loving christ.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I don't give a poo poo, we lost, I accepted it even before the game was done.

But it's just so precious, people saying those aren't penalties. Let's see the double standard later in the season, I'm sure it'll happen.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sporting just lost against braga. Ahhh my head is suddenly swelling

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2017/jan/07/portuguese-team-concede-bizarre-counterattack-goal-video

Portuguese referees: Sporting B scores a goal, and while their players are celebrating Braga B counter attacks and scores their own. How does this happen? Here's the replay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTNm-6lk_fA

You can watch on the replay that Sporting scores the goal, the players celebrate, the linesman allows it and starts running to the center of the pitch. But then the referee goes and has a chat with the linesman, and the linesman runs back to the area, raises his flag and decides he's changed his mind and the goal is now offside, all of this while Sporting players are still celebrating. Braga immediately plays the ball and scores on the counter.

If Benfica fans want to pretend that everything's fine, like Porto fans did for many years, they are free to do so of course. Good for them. But make no mistake about it: it is a lovely league.

Awesome. The best refereeing honestly

orange sky
May 7, 2007

nice meltdown

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah they turn it around. Gonna end 5 3 or something

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Gotta love Iuri though. That left foot <3

orange sky
May 7, 2007

poo poo gg, loving casillas

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pik_d posted:

Can someone tell me two things about Ederson; Is he good enough for City now that he's being linked with them (again?), and why does he have a neckbeard?

I'm a Sporting fan and Ederson might be the best acting GK in Europe right now

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Porto is poo poo and their fans are worse: they sang "I wish the chapecoense plane was Benfica's" on a handball game

what the gently caress dudes

what were you thinking

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Tomorrow is the derby.what derby? I can hear you ask from the depths of the plastic container in which thou reside.well my friend,its THE derby,sporting vs Benfica,a game that makes el classico look like a jolly good match between old friends.

Benfica leads the league with 3 points over Porto so they need at least a draw to continue at the top of the table,while sporting is...not. They've entered their bust cycle over 3 months ago .they are a lot like arsenal ,in that they are a poo poo team that also plays really good football but never fail to disappoint their fans almost every year.Benfica are playing bad football and are basically hanging by the skin of their teeth to first place.

Will this game have drama?oh yes.will the ref do a poo poo job?absolutely.will it be a good game?heh 50/50.

Meanwhile here is the best goal ever in a derby

https://youtu.be/lgJjktQwk_g

I miss Nico.

I tried looking up some sick goals from sporting because even evil has its hero's but I couldn't be arsed (its basically goals from liedson that talented gently caress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0AP-1-TNhE&t=40s

gently caress yeah

I miss Liedson. Come on Bas, show us what you can do. (he's great btw, just like Jesus likes (e.g. Cardozo))

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah this went really crazy now wtf - it wasn't even a Portuguese fan, it was a Fiorentina fan that was with the Sporting dudes. They probably went there to paint the wall or some poo poo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lol Sporting just lost 3 1 at home with belenenses

gently caress JJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Grats you cunts

• Locked thread