Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Out of curiosity, what's the update schedule going to be like? Once a week, whenever you have time, on the first wednesday after a waning moon, unless that date can be devided by 3, ... ?

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, what was that at the end? You can pay a hefty sum to remove a positive trait? Why would you do that?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Huh. I just found a red-orbed curio that wanted the touch of a flame. That escalated quickly...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I started a new campaign because ... I can't help myself sometimes and after the first non-scripted mission ...

the rng has not been kind to me (though it's partially my fault as I was a bit risky with certain curio)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Actually a quick question about stress - in the weald video, you made certain to stress-heal someone because they were at 50 stress; does stress become self-re-enforcing or was that just simply about "she's at high stress beter heal it"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So if you have a late-game party wipe, is it still possible to do the ruins or similarly low-level areas to train the rookies that replace them or do the various regions level up in difficulty as the game goes on? And if the latter how to compensate for that?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I usually just throw 2 herbal meds in my ruin runs for the sake of alchemy or :black101: maidens. If I run out of space they are the first to go but if I can use them then it's a nice bonus. 2 herbals cost about 400 so it's not like it's a heavy investment.

Also some nasty combat debuffs can be eliminated with them - though usually not from Ruins enemies - so it can help in a pinch

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 17, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's funny - I'd focus reynald's attacks on the necromancer so that his high dps (damage per swing) gets rid of the boss more quickly - dealing with swordsmen/club zombies isn't that problematic whereas the necromancer has a buttload of stress attacks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Death%27s_Door

according to the wiki

quote:

further damage has a 33% chance to kill them (67% basic death protection without any special quirks or trinkets).

so 1/3 odds of killing them, not 67% chance of killing them. Also

quote:

the maximum Death's Blow resistance is 87%
so it's impossible to become immune from death.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh. oh dear.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been using this guide which works well enough. The author tends to over-emphasize defensive trinkets like bandages in the cove or ruins but overall it works well enough.

On that note I used to think that bandages in the cove are worthless. Then I had a short mission with 6! uca crushers who didn't use anything but bleed attacks.

I will never insult bandages again.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my experience you need at least one good healer, probably backed up by a secundary, high damage dealers and the ability to damage most/all ranks. A vestal or occultist with healing-boosting trinkets backed up with an arbalest for example for healing, and then damage dealers that between them reach every rank - eg hellions or gravediggers for veratiliy, men-at-arms, lepers or crusaders for the enemy front rows.

Keep in mind that it's likely that you'll get stressed out - which is fine, you can use the funds to heal them at the bar.

Also as mentioned in the lp; all of the bosses are in medium/large dungeons at the longest distance from your starting point, so knowing that you can use the camping skills to buff party defenses/attacks just before the bossfight.

If all else fails, hire 4 rookies and throw them into the meatgrinder as a scouting party. If they succeed great, if not you'll know what awaits you when you send in your valuable party.

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 24, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eeeeeeh, I got dismas killed twice now and yet he lives. There is a way to beat the system but if it weren't for a particular achievement I wouldn't care about party members dying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Now you got me curious.

It's not very difficult. Alt-F4 quickly enough and you reload before the combat round. It's chicken tactics I know but I've restarted like 7 times now and I'm getting that drat achievement. Lightning reflexes required though.

Presumably you could hunt down where on the hard drive save files get stored and do a back-up before any dungeon crawl but :effort:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also DON'T do stress healing during a boss fight. Get it killed and kill it quickly. Stress healing can come later.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are champion dungeons easier than the Darkest dungeons?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Is there an achievement for keeping Dismas around? Cause not only is he around, he's one of my star players thanks to good quirks, accessory drops, and skill combinations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FYI, the voice actor of the Ancestor is Wayne June and he's done other stuff - among others audiobooks for the Call of Cthulhu. Sample: http://www.waynejune.com/MP3/WJune_Lovecraft01.mp3

Sounds suitably demonic though there is a bit of audio clipping or whatever it's called when the audio cuts off a little.

http://www.waynejune.com/

also vestals are a crutch and should be replaced with occultists whenever given a chance. Seriously at least they have good debuffs and decent damage against eldrich.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 26, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm starting to cringe whenever you heal instead of doing damage eg with the abomination. There is no reward for keeping them topped up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Halser posted:

Abomination is up there with the Arbalest in the "I will fire you first if need arises" department. Unless you have a jester doing nothing but destressing people you're bound to end up with everyone insane in long dungeons. Never really saw the appeal when the Leper does comparable damage without the need to babysit and without the annoying class restrictions.

Wait what? The arbalest is amazing!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nu-uh!

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on bandages and antivenoms for the purposes of combat? On the one hand that's money thrown away on the other hand i'm getting into territory where bleed and blight is getting really punishing it feels like

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Contrary to what the selection screen might show you, the Vestal only has four moves. Take both heals, the self-heal attack and the stun, everything else is garbage

not the stun, take the melee attack for when your party gets pulled out of position through eldrich pull/surprise so you don't waste a turn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Once I have a full inventory I start chucking in order of max value. Stack max 1000 goes first, then the cash at 1500. In other words I keep emeralds sapphires onyx rubies and trapezohedrons. The rest are pocket change, curios heirlooms or supplies.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I lean too much on using my camping at the last part of the dungeon to use it as a heal. Basically I go through the entire dungeon, set up camp at/before the last area and use all camp activities on reducing stress. This allows me to instantly send them out again without bothering with the inn or abbey but does mean I lose out on damage buffs and mid-dungeon heals.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Some of the best time I've had in this game was clearing a champion dungeon with the All-Jester Finale Train.

My current jester setup tends to be opening up with Finale then doing the buff/destress for the rest of the battle. Coupled with a crusader's holy lance and/or Hellion's iron swan and the enemy rear ranks just melt away it's wonderful. ²

² offer does not apply everywhere rng will gently caress you over no refunds

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was really hoping for the other, purple, corridor mini-boss. So disappointed.

According to the wiki there needs to be no light though so that was impossible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he can cause massive amounts of bleed damage on the 2nd and 3rd row, finale is dope and his stress and buff boosts are a life-saver. A party with a jester turns stress into a non-factor meaning the same party can go into about 4 dungeon runs before needing to rotate out for abbey/pub rotation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Give grandad a hug!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

awwww

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the dark version of warrens combat music is cooler than I thought it'd be. Cool beats.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 16, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Samovar posted:

Yeah, the story where his racism directed him against the Welsh.

While I don't excuse lovecraft for his shocking racism even for the times, given that he died due to consequences of malnutrition caused by poverty, I can ... understand but not condone how he came to have those views. When there are days that you literally cannot feed yourself properly, finding someone to look down on/hate/fear/loathe would be appealing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I loved that story. It has just the right amount of dread and kicking rear end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This does point out an important subtlety in darkest dungeon: leveling up your heroes' resolve doesn't particularly help (and can downright hurt) unless you can also keep their equipment & skills topped up. Which is why I cringe a bit when Highwang focuses so much cash on quirks and not on skills/armor/weapons

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Don't worry, dealing with the former myself in the recent recordings.

Alongside some super hosed video files.

The true darkest dungeon starts here

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean there's also this guy http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Myron

doubt that was what you were going for though

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The two Cove bosses have <100% stun resist so if you stack enough stun boosts you could reliably stun them every 2 rounds. Possibly worthwhile strategy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, about that sacrificial stone curio, in my notes it's

quote:

50% stress + 50
25% purge one negative Quirk
12,5% random positive Quirk
12,5% random negative Quirk

Have I been misinformed?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gbuchold posted:

Now I want to make a series of dumb political cartoons

Not authentic. Too much effort put into it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

The point of the Jester is to murder a motherfucker right out the gate, go with speed and damage and just annihilate, then stress heal/solo or solo x 2 and repeat.

Alternatively use the first turn to dump a shitload of +damage modifiers on him and follow up with finale to take out 70% of its health.

• Locked thread