Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

In the game I'm currently running the champion fight is the only one I haven't beaten or even tried to do. Champion Weald runs are always dicey with those damned giants.

We have a max of 28 slots for people, so at least 2 of the 15 classes will not have a double up. I left out a 2nd PD and a Bounty Hunter, but what did everyone else do?

that's where the occultist shines -30% damage means those trolls do basically no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

At no point in the entire story will the Ancestor make anything but the worst possible decisions.

You have to TRY to gently caress up as badly as the Ancestor. And the best part is he's so casual about it. "Well, better dump these hybrid pig-boy demons down into the sewers, nothing bad that can come of that." He's less Lovecraft and more Krieger.

I'm a ways further ahead from the LP and I'm killing all rank 3 bosses. Holy gently caress are those final reveals of how the prophet etc came to be awful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Aww, Piggly 12-thru-2833.

:golfclap:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, I wish the exchange rate for the pound wasn't in the shitter or I'd get that in a heartbeat.

Convert your savings to dollars right now. You'll thank me later.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so here's a trick to the Shambler: if you flee from the battle, you flee to the last room you visited. So what you do is you get to the shambler's altar, go past it to the next room, then double back. This way if the battle goes terribly, you can flee, camp and still continue the dungeon (although tbh I don't think there are many shambler fights that don't end with all members afflicted/heroic).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question, do the shambler and its two rastafarian buddies change stats (hp, defenses, ...) between beginner/experienced/veteran dungeons or are they fixed. Meaning is it going to be easier, relatively speaking, to defeat a shambler with veteran units or does the game adjust the difficulty accordingly?

edit: beaten like Lucien in a dark damp cave

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

My favorite is the Hag's cauldron, which is enemy type CROCKERY.

There's a unique one that's my favorite but we won't be seeing it for a long time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The music boxes drop from fights with the crazy insane asylum dudes. It has a very low chance to pop up. Way to break the law of averages. Frankly, I'd rather have the boxes than the heads.

Well, except for Julia's head. Once I have that I pretty much never do a run without it on my healer.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Err, Highwang, have you finished this game? Because your mistrust of dodge is pretty much anathema to how I manage my heroes - even low-dodge characters get +dodge items & perks in my runs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I'm still catching up, but I see that Highwang has now discovered why Arablest+Occultist are BFFs forever.

all-mark parties (arbalest-occultist-houndmaster-bounty hunter) are amazing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

Maybe it's just a lame highdea, but I like how the power differential between healing classes is a subtle reflection of the world of Darkest Dungeon. The plague doctor and the arbalest are the weakest healers- the power of man is weakest, but it has its place. Next, the vestal has healing powers through whatever benevolent god or gods watch over everything. And while that power is benevolent, and always benevolent, it doesn't hold a candle to the weird eldrich power that the occultist wields. Because whatever THAT is, it can heal incredible amounts of damage.... when it wants. And it might just have you pay a price anyway, out of spite.

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Arbalest's heal is useful to have for two reasons: First, she has some really great +Heal trinkets unique to her (she has a +33% one) that ALSO affects her Camping Heal which can save a party from a run that's going bad in a jiffy. Second, the +Heal buff and the fact that her heal is extremely reliable helps her cover for her Good Buddy Occultist, who is her best friend forever. She provides a nice 'I absolutely can't afford to roll a 0 on this' backup option, plus the +Heal buff will turbocharge his healing if you really need to spend 2 actions trying to get someone back from a devastating crit or something (or just have a turn to burn).

Also, it's become a running joke with my friends that my adventurers are absolutely riddled with Syphilis. I have no idea how. Every adventure, someone comes back with that vile poo poo.

Better than having 4 runs in where at least 2 people came back with the Red Plague. Every. time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's weird - highwang always camps before a boss, when dealing with a stress-heavy boss like this one (and the drowned crew) I will almost always camp after the fight for some good stress heal.

Also always drop shovels first if you've scouted first - they have no notable curios anywhere worth the effort

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 28, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

I mainly do it for the buffs. Things like Restring Crossbow and Battle Trance can really break a fight if you prepare a cleansing as well like we've been doing.

when dealing with most of the bosses I agree - the two warrens & cove bosses, siren, necromancer - but with the prophet and drowned crew I favor the stress heal over the combat buffs

Also there are 18 pages for 4 short stories to be found. have fun ruining a lot of heroes going through book stacks and bookcases for those worthless scraps of paper

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 28, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

I hope you're happy. I had no real interest in Darkest Dungeon, but I've watched every video up to the Shambler fight that went disastrously, and had the game on my wishlist for a while. Today it was 40% off for Halloween and I snatched it right up.

Be wary, triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

I've pretty much learned all my tricks from this LP, and I'm down with camping before the boss fight too. Depending on your party loadout, it makes damage racing bosses almost too easy.

I'll admit that I fell into the AoE newbie trap too. While I'm sure AoE attacks do provide more damage per action on average, removing enemy actions is just so much more important. My buddy also informed me that AoE attacks only roll once for accuracy, so they tend to be very all-or-nothing which tilts the payoffs quite a bit. This is why I love barbaric yalp so much, though - it's basically a 2-for-1 on the action economy (2-for-1.25 if you count the debuff I guess)

u sure on the accuracy? I've gotten several holy scrolls/harvests/flashing daggers where only one enemy got hit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what about crit chance? Does that also roll once?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Waiting on my Employee of the Month statue from Red Hook Studios.

given red hook's rather sadistic sense of humor - are you sure you want them to reward you?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was going to write another chapter in The Book Of gently caress This poo poo (by K. Dragoon), but I was just gifted a copy of the game.

That's good, but not the reason I'm posting. This was my second run after the tutorial, all of about 45 minutes gameplay total. Bet you wish you'd taken me on a few more runs now, huh?

in before tpk

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If you run away from a quest, do you get to keep your loot?

you keep everything in your inventory but you forego the victory rewards, so you'll probably lose money if you do that (but you won't lose a hero ... normally anyway)

e;fb

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

I believe after every fight, each hero can eat up to 4 snacks at a time. I rarely consume food to heal though, its mainly a buffer against bad gameplay ideas.

come on man, a little starvation never killed anyone.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... that town event is why I always beeline for lvl 2 treatment ward. It doesn't matter that it's probably a wasted investment, it just feels so good getting 2/3 heroes' quirks locked in.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The other use of the Jester is he has the most movement skills in the game I'm pretty sure, so you can use him to put people under the rubble who'll be able to survive it, but that's not a very good use of him anyway so he's still the worst class to bring.

better to bring a houndmaster with protect ally then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Samovar posted:

Just started playing the game.

Wow, it is hard.

it's got that dark souls hard where it's brutal until you see the code. After that it's just punishingly difficult.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the vestal is the good cop (pious, prayer, holy inspiration) to the plague doctor's bad cop (blight, drugs, plague association) - both healers. The Crusader is the Good cop to the bandit's bad cop. Both brawlers.

I'd guess.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On the topic of supplies and other info, I've made an excel file with all the stuff I regularly look up when playing the game. Might as well share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaaiqqaqvv8y7if/Darkest.xlsm?dl=0

download it, dropbox' online display messes with the formatting a little. Also mostly is just info from the wiki I copy-pasted that I didn't want to open every time I wanted to look something up; the provisions are taken from Damp's spreadsheet. One run you'll end up with too many bandages or whatever but overall I found it a good resource.

I've taken a break from the game so this is just rotting on my hard drive. Might as well share.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Those are the best. Have you checked his grave yet?

huh. Makes me wonder what the description is from a death caused by a Siren-controlled party member.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So using the bonfire at the end of a dungeon is really good because you can get a lot of stress relief. HOWEVER this is only really useful if:
- you're going to use the same team in the next dungeon
- you don't have a drat JESTER TO DEAL WITH STRESS RELIEF.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eating none of them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang that was an incredibly fun fight. Never 100% optimize again.

so here's something different: there's a streamer/youtuber called DDRJake who does weekly challenges. Basically the format is that you can suggest a game with a goal for a single session - beat super mario 64 in under 4 hours, kill the FTL final boss without upgrading X, stuff like that. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses.

What would be a doable and fun challenge for Darkest Dungeon for someone who afaik has never come into contact with it? I was thinking a "no-deaths" run but imo that forces a boring and defensive playstyle. The game also doesn't pace itself easily for a boss-run. Basically I'm thinking of an end goal to work towards that's difficult but doable, and maybe a gimmick that makes it more entertaining to watch without being crippling for a newbie.

Is it possible to kill 1 boss per biome (4 bosses) within 3 hours for someone who knows jack-all about the game?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

To wit: I wonder if Tapeworm and Stress Eater stack? I've never had that poo poo a luck.

Yes. Yes they do. I've experienced both. And got both on a single person during a run. gently caress the warrens.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

my favorite is forgetting shovels. "Okay, I think I've got everything. Holy water and bandages for curios, food aplenty, two stacks obv, oh poo poo, almost forgot torches. Right, I think that's everything. Let's go!".

Queue 4 crumbling walls within 3 rooms.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd just abandon the mission the moment I walked up to the first wall and realized I lacked a shovel, presuming it's still early

what kind of quitter talk is that??! We'll make it to the end of the mission, drat you, even if it costs the lot of you your sanity! And half of you your lives.

(they had unupgraded gear and skills so no money was lost)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You're not cursed highwang, you just had 0 ability to hit the back row stress dealers and the weald enemy parties tends to throw a lot of heavy meatshields in front - in addition to that, with the antiquarian in tow you have no offensive value whatsoever and her defensive passives aren't particularly great unless you stack dodge buffs IMO. In other words, your team sucked for this location.

But this is darkest dungeon so it's to be expected. On an entirely different note, how the hell are you having so many crashes? I've dumped more than 150 hours into this game and it's crashed maybe 2 times or so.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lol, a possessed vestal will still increase torch light when she uses illumination, benefiting the player. (25mins in)

It makes a certain amount of sense, but given I've internalised that more torchlight == benefits player, I'd have assumed that the devs would have inverted it.

Also guard will fail when you try to guard someone who's already guarded, and when you try to guard someone who is guarding someone else (so no houndmaster protecting a man-at-arms protecting a hellion who's protecting an antiquarian). What, you haven't tried this?!

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 10, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You know how you can get a better chance of the shambler showing up? Dark runs. You should do dark runs, highwang.

Do it. Doooooooiiiiiiit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... does the next video have friends visiting?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Occultist can have many friends.

He is a cool guy.

Does he have many cheeses?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The Darkest Dungeon combat theme is goddamn awesome.

it's my second favorite combat theme in the game.

edit: okay, where's the static images from? There was a cthuhlu-esque image, something resembling the Flesh, and some other images that may or may not be background images from darkest dungeon

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I liked the double team smackdown? Highwang didn't seem too perturbed with it and it felt like 't was in jest to me...

• Locked thread