Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Wayne posted:

Doesn't it say something like "This is a symbol of ruin, place fire if you crave the Void"? :sweatdrop: But it is true you don't expect a curio to summon a bossfight, when all the rest either give you stress/quirks or treasure.

Been watching the videos so far, it's interesting to see different play styles. I can definitely sympathize with the "cover all ranks" Hellion, though I'm in the group that finds YAWP! and Adrenaline Rush (for use to help offset the fatigue debuff as well as cure status and HP) too indispensable to do that. Iron Swan kind of has a meta choice, since [especially on higher difficulties] back rank targets have much higher Dodge than the front-rank, so you basically choice between maxing out her damage and/or bleed chance and unloading on the front rank, or getting accuracy for the back rank. Plus once that 4th target is dead Iron Swan has no other use. I like it but my brother doesn't, and I can't really say he's wrong.

Two notes: one, if Blindfire did ever hit corpses (I didn't play it until Spring 2016) it doesn't now, so feel free to let it fly. I never used it either until we modded in the Musketeer and gave her Sidearm (same move) since I liked the animation for it, and found out it only hits active targets. That plus first-rank accessibility and the speed boost on a pretty decent healer, and it's actually not a bad move. And two, yeah, do not mess around with spiders:

That was the tank going into a 2 webber/2 spitter fight with full health, and died in 2 rounds. Part of that was bad luck (he failed the first Death's Door roll, and you have a 2/3 chance of making it), but still.

Yeah spiders seem like trash mobs like maggots or whatever and they mostly are but the synergy between webbers and spinners gives them some of the best AI behaviour in the game so every now and then they'll just focus down and murder a hero. Always Kill Spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hylomania is such an innocuous and easy to forget about quirk too, most of the things it triggers on aren't really dangerous

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I do wonder what powers the fish guys/cultists/etc are channeling, as they have more dark themed powers than the occultist does. Sure, the occultist has his stun that puts out the torch (though I've never seen anyone use it) but his tentacle motif is a lot different from the other wizards in Darkest Dungeon.

he literally uses the exact same tentacle animation as the cultists

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Contrary to what the selection screen might show you, the Vestal only has four moves. Take both heals, the self-heal attack and the stun, everything else is garbage

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Is there any way to reduce the damage of the bleed from the big crab guys in the cove? I have tried using weakening curse on them and whilst it does effect their damage it doesn't seem to do anything about that really scary DoT.

I also had Reynauld survive 4 heart attacks in one fight and that was a very stressful experience for me!

I hope you like plague doctors

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

double nine posted:

not the stun, take the melee attack for when your party gets pulled out of position through eldrich pull/surprise so you don't waste a turn.

Shuffle doesn't happen that often and stunning is the best thing you can ever do with your turn that isn't killing a dude

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Drowned Thralls basically exist to slap you in the dick the first time you encounter them and don't know what they do. After that you'll find that it's generally very easy to just focus them down before their Revenge activates.
Yes, that means you have to let the Shaman live a little longer while you kill the Thrall. You're just gonna have to deal with that.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

Testing a gimmick build that you're not sure will work, but does, is the greatest thing. :allears:

Some of the best time I've had in this game was clearing a champion dungeon with the All-Jester Finale Train.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

NuminaXLT posted:

You were confused about the herb in you inventory, The Jester comes with the free herb cause of course he does. :2bong:

drug jokes aside it's also real dang useful for clearing finale debuffs, herbs are a Jester's best friend

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Because I am also a fool, I bought Darkest Dungeon as well. So, where do you find those healing charms and Dismas' head?

The heads of various characters are trinkets that get dropped by the Collector, a wandering boss who I cannot recall if he has shown up on the LP yet or not.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Keep in mind that despite being being way better then he used to be the Jester is still the worst class in the game. He's playable now though and you can take him to any level of dungeon with some degree of success.
I also disagree with Wang's opinion regarding Collected Vestals (they basically do nothing, keep them around so they gum up the Collector's line imo) but one of my favourite things about DD is that everyone has their own different strategies and tactical priorities and they all can work.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Funnily enough considering that he's the mark boss, a mark-based dps party absolutely destroys the Swine Prince. Show him that you can do his gimmick better than he ever can.

EDIT: Another refreshing element is that unlike basically every other boss in this game the Swine Prince isn't out to do some bullshit. He doesn't heal or drop more minions, he doesn't do anything weird to the battlefield or your heroes, etc etc. He just wants to hit your mans and that makes him unique.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 22, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Song of Desire being a secret debuff is pretty lame because it means sometimes the Siren's main gimmick just doesn't work on even unprepared parties with lucky debuff resistance and she dies without ever having done anything. And she's a big lump of loving nothing without the Song gimmick to back her up.
Both the Cove bosses are cool concepts executed poorly.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Finale's graphic is kinda weird in that I think it's the only attack animation that's metaphorical instead of purely literal. Probably metaphorical.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Ok, so that covers some basic stuff for AoE stuff, but this list doesn't take into account evasion, niche party comps, any boss fight and a million other things that pop up. If people have any suggestions or major ideas not on the list I would be thrilled to hear it.

I've got you covered with a quick and dirty guide to AOEs vs bosses who I don't think are spoilers.

Necromancer: Yes
Prophet: Eh
Hag: No
Brigand Pounder: Yes
Swine Prince: nooooooooooooo
Flesh: Strictly better than single target damage
Siren: No
Drowned Crew: Maybe but not really
Shambler: You can if you want.
Collector: Yes

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Halser posted:

Assuming you're dealing DoT. Otherwise, most of the Flesh's pieces aren't that fleshy at all and you're better off going for the heart instead.

This is correct. I was just thinking of the Houndmaster and the Plague Doctor.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

My favourite class for the Cannon is by far the Leper, he does good damage to the cannon without needing a mark and he can also just erase the cutthroat from existence every time he pops up. I have to agree with everyone else, this is easily the most tedious boss fight.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Back when Darkest Dungeon had just hit Early Access AOE's were great skills and an easy way to play the game. Red Hook responded to that in their characteristic manner and now they are of mostly limited use if they aren't DoT

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I used to think Lepers were the worst possible class to bring to the Prophet until I actually did it by mistake. Turns out they're woodchoppers extraordinaire and are going to soak up a few rubble hits with their massive healthpool just by standing at the front.
The actual worst class to bring to the Prophet is the Jester. He does nothing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

the occultist is for True Ballers only

• Locked thread