Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
CYOA Comics
Let's Play videos
Listicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Do you have this in a facebook profile-header siz- ah, gently caress nevermind it's perfect

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
In short I think I'm ready to submit my application for modship at the Something Awful online comedy forums.

What kind of compensation should SA's mods expect?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Have you ever bellied up to a bar and ordered a beer, right next to some guy you've never met before? And, after 3-4 beers, you start striking up a conversation and becoming more comfortable with each other's company? Pretty soon, then, you go to the men's room to take a piss . . . that guy, the one at the bar that seemed okay, he sneaks up behind you while you're at the urinal, he rips your pants off and plows your rear end.

Mods are like that guy.

LOVE,

VITALIS

So mods get to gently caress anyone they want? Belly on up, boys!

I love you Vitalis but I don't LOVE love you, so no need to yell.

Dinosaurmageddon has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Sep 3, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I keep in touch with myself almost every night.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Rambling Robot posted:

does anyone know where caro is now?

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Caro will make a self-proclaiming post upon the following date:

September 22nd, 2016
at or around
9:37am (EST)

Caro, if you're reading this, I know what you're thinking (do it and I'll let you pick the smiley).

:crossfingat:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
This thread is now about posting your favorite PYF forum sagas:

The saga of whose favorite thing is best is the greatest.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
For context of the mod's decision, at that moment suicide hotlines were being posted across the debate forums and people were freaking out enough as it was, so maybe it was in the community's best interests to give in to the Hillary Toxxers' need for a few moments to step back, take stock, and accept their public ban-hammering at the town square's ban-anvil.

Lowtax, the ever-elected POTSAF, has held true to his vow to make :redhammer: great again.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

RFC2324 posted:

SA is a CIA front, not a trolling location!

:wal: Yeah, if the CIA stood for Central Idiocy Agency!
:stat: Why that old place?- It sure is Something Awful!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
So the saga continues...

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

MageMage posted:

Why turn on Shmorky if it was Shmorky's SO?

Rich 'Lowtax' Kyanka had a decent IRL creative working relationship with Shmorky, which later suffered from Shmorky's off-putting behavior once he- (now 'they') started hormone replacement therapy and got rabidly invested in personal gender identity politics.
Lowtax ultimately fired Shmorky from working at Something Awful's offices, and so Shmorky and their female SO moved states to live in what became a bad situation.
Now, understand that this significant other that Shmorky had attracted during his time working at Something Awful was certainly not 100% sane and she must have been at least in-part an enabling factor in Shmorky's bizarre mannerisms, but nonetheless she didn't cause much of a fuss nor did she otherwise make a bad impression upon the people working at Something Awful, at least not until quite some time after Shmorky was fired from SA.

In short, a good long while after Shmorky got fired from SA (and following a freakish instance where Lowtax got a call out of the blue to bail Shmorky and the SO out of jail for what started as a midnight traffic stop), Shmorky's SO had fallen off her meds and went off her rocker on twitter spouting out all manners of new age Jewish conspiracies and zion apocalypse prophecies and whatnot, connecting crazy poo poo and people from her life in hashtags and flippant nonsense that went largely unnoticed by most people until she also started blaming #lowtax for these things in her life that escalated to things like incest, pedophilia and transmisogyny, etc.

Shmorky meanwhile was also freaking the gently caress out from living with her and had basically locked themself(?) (in diapers, no doubt) to a single room and refused to do anything about his psycho SO to calm her down or silence her in the throes of her schizoid Dear Richard, all of which ultimately resulted in Lowtax getting authorities involved to help bail Shmorky out of yet another whack-a-doo situation.

Ye Gods, what a trainwreck that became :nallears:

TLDR: Click links above ^^^

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Choco1980 posted:

This reference is bad, and FactsAreUseless should feel bad.

Yeah I really love that Rolling Stones song and yet I didn't catch the reference simply because the inherent joke FactsAreUseless made is that disabled people are the devil. :twisted:

(Otherwise the joke works; 'they hate it when you try to guess their nickname based upon their disability' is pretty drat terrible :cheers:)

Dinosaurmageddon has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Nov 28, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Has anyone said "me, OP" yet?

:69snypa:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Or maybe they're fundamentally decent people who care and want to help

gently caress, You All're Dudes!

My minor contribution to the thread:
the punishment sagas of smallbart :regd13: and krusty

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Solice Kirsk posted:

To be fair, heroin and LSD are very fun drugs. Though I can't imagine how horrible dosing during withdrawal would be.

"My nigga have you tried LSD" is an excellent catchphrase we have now, thanks to that whole debacle.

Trying LSD to combat heroin withdrawal sounds like hell but It would've been fine (if subpar) advice had it come from any other normal TCC poster. Once you're made a mod, however, your words get held to a much higher standard than before: you've been made the arbitrary-yet-almighty voice of authority on an online forum dedicated exclusively to discussing addictive psychoactive substances.
It was only a matter of time before some late-stage crack addict would follow the second-hand advice of a bored college sophomore with a star next to his name and die as a result, all the while reassuring themselves they were receiving good druggie-to-druggie counseling.

If you're reading this, please hydrate!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
For the SA histories to note - at this point practically every mod has selected for themselves a customized icon in place of where their star or where a platinum user's grenade would normally sit.

Will custom grenade icons be coming in vogue? (-and can I get one?) 💎👾☀️️👑🌀❤️️! 👌

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:negative:
and I thought I could escape the forums drama unscathed

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Palpek's mod star is also a tiny coffee mug with a star in the foam! :kimchi::sludgepal:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Kelp Me! posted:

what is your AV from because it reminds me of Reptar on Ice

Home-made, actually! I really need to change it soon I made & purchased this AV when I registered.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Does anyone have the original floor pizza post? I've been able to piece things vaguely together since, but I'm still seeing it referenced and thought I'd finally get around to reading the initial event.

I don't have archives, but Clochette is the legendary poster who married the floor-pizza eater, and her fellow Chris-chan-stalker-turned-husband is The Saurus.
He popped into the GBS Graveyard's incel thread to talk about stretching out his wife's vagina with his massive dong. Good people.
Here's a quote from Clochette I grabbed from the Gas Chamber:

Clochette posted:

I'm shocked that you're unfamiliar with this particular bit of GBS lore. Years ago, when my husband first visited me in America, we stayed in a motel and he ordered a pizza. He ate half of it, then left the box under the bed. I woke the next morning to see him pull the box from underneath the bed and consume the remaining pieces of room-temperature pizza. He repeated this when we moved into our apartment.

I mentioned it in passing in a Ulillillia thread, saying that I thought it was weird and kind of gross. Goons latched onto it and the story has since reached mythical proportions.
/

What a total goonette :j:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
They met online while stalking a sonic the hedgehog fanatic.

Funny, funky, goony people.

e: I would totally accept floor pizza, for the record.

Dinosaurmageddon has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I was going to say "stalking a mentally-challenged sonic the hedgehog fanatic" but then again I repeat myself-

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I can't be the only person noticing the loving creeps pathetically trying to flirt with the mod of this terrible subforum all the time

No you're right, this is truly an ongoing saga though. The legend of Ozma being fat is just like Literally A Bird's neverending saga of being hit on by hapless online weirdos. It doesn't hurt that her username is a perfect icebreaker for the bird-loving kind of person. How about we let this all slide like water off a duck's back and flock off a bit - take it back to the PYF selfies thread where it came from.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:aaaaa:

I think this troll is hitting on me?

PM me :bigtran:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I remember when I had wondered aloud whether SA could be improved with per-post voting systems.

As I recall, the response I got (aside from SMDYFM), was:

PROS of Up/Down-Voting posts:
Good for lurker participation
Good for certain search metrics
Numbers... good for business?

CONS of Up/Down-Voting posts:
Poster bragging rights
Reduces overall thread contributions
Easier for trolls to shut down posters
Easier for anonymous groupthink policing
Clutter / Programming Issues / Pointlessness

Let the posts fall where they may. :agesilaus:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Hogge Wild posted:

my favourite is tiny brontosaur who is a rich white girl larping being black and who doxxes and sends death threats to other goons

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Please (in the future) source your quotes n' facts for the PYF saga thread.

Ban reason:
"Long string of horrible posting spanning multiple threads for a very long time."

Hell, in that case there goes most of GBS! :cheers:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
What FluffieDuckie has done (that I've seen) that's been really effective for spicing things up around BYOB has been that she has "deputized" a new Idiot King on a near monthly basis, which usually results in fun activity threads and artistic joke-probations.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Huggybear posted:

Even here the ableist claim that the mod is mentally ill is simply reiterated as a probability when all the moderator did is threaten to ban people from posting in the sub-forum due to their lovely trolling/unfunny/racist posting. There is no "saga" or even vaguely interesting drama
Are you quite sure that's ALL the moderator did?

By the by, most if not all of GBS is always totally on board with people being on their proper meds so they don't make fools of themselves, regardless of their skin color, creed, nationality, political orientation, sexual orientation, able-ness, age, planet, or religion.

I'd say "GO BACK TO TGRS" at the risk of creating an irony singularity but instead I invite you to "GO BACK TO GBS" and try it out again, maybe bring your favorite meds with you.

:regd16:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Phlegmish posted:

'afraid of confrontation' probably describes 80-90% of goons

Terrific Accident posted:

At first it seems like nobody is going to move, but then, hesitantly, one man rises to his feet. "I'm Retardacus!!!" He shouts. Soon another follows. "I'm Retardacus!!!" Then another. "I'm Retardacus!!!" Moridin looks on upon his people, moved to tears. Some guy is shouting something about how he doesn't even LOOK at the barista

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

:irony:

Somebody kelp this guy already!?!

:krakentoot::can:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Truly bad reports are pretty rare, rare enough that it's counterproductive to further discourage reporting by shaming those who bother to do it at all.

Wasn't there a mod who started giving out Gang Tags for certain posters who had, like, 25+ instances of successful reports? "Snitches & Witches?" "Teachers' Pets?"

All I remember is how quickly the userbase turned on those posters. It was probably ill-advised but it was still hilarious.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Troposphere posted:

I got made a mod because of my successful snitching :twisted:

Another GBS success story! :regd16:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

RFC2324 posted:

I'll never forget his long rear end post about his giant dick

Ah yes, if I recall the Saurus derailed the original r/incel thread to talk about stretching out his girlfriend's vagina. Class act, that guy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784284&pagenumber=152&perpage=40#post464044141

The Saurus posted:

guys with small dicks are luckier than guys with big dicks (like me) imo

at least guys with small dicks will probably get to have sex with a girl once they get back to her place because she'll be too embarassed to back out once you're both naked

It usually takes me at least several days and sometimes weeks of stretching a girl in various ways before I can actually bang her