Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Caro is probably the best saga, really. Complete with the surprise ending of him not actually dying in a Syrian torture prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have the various TCC deaths been mentioned yet, especially the guy who melted himself to death by passing out in his car and then his wife used his account to try to find out how to sell his stash and commit insurance fraud?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The continuing saga of Jon Pop deserves mention if it hasn't already.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Niwrad posted:

The guy who complained in E/N about his kids being taken away. He then revealed his 5 year old was wandering the town by himself and posted pictures of his trailer that looked like a trash heap and had cat poo poo just sitting on the floor. When called on it he complained about not having money and someone found a thread from a couple months earlier where he bought a $2000 gaming PC.

I thought that guy eventually realized he was being a poo poo and turned things around, eventually getting his kids back. I mean I could be wrong but I thought that one actually had something dangerously close to a happy ending.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scudworth posted:

THEY'RE CALLED SMILIES

This is correct.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has Betamax challenging Franco to a fight been mentioned yet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:regd08: is my personal favorite, and seems like it should be the patron emoticon for GBS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Someone post that awesome "quit peeing in the well!" rant (again).

There's an SAclopedia entry on it:

The "goon in a well" is an analogy used throughout GBS and E/N to describe goons with horrible relationship problems who refuse to take good advice.

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2189

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If only there were some resource available to answer questions like this...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=509

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember the AOL Search logs from when they first ran. It's weird to think I have spent time on SA for well over a decade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

coronatae posted:

And some other guy who would literally lay facedown on his kitchen floor and piss through a hole in the wood instead of using the toilet

That rings a vague bell. Did it end up causing structural damage or something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have never seen a better argument in favor of 2nd amendment rights than that image.

Shoot them.

Shoot them all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Those furries appear to have inconsistent political opinions, but that is really secondary to them simply needing to be shot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jastiger posted:

The best saga is that thread that was about trying to find all the best sagas. Everyone kept bringing up the same things over and over again and the mods eventually had to mod Jastiger to break it up and get everyone back to posting new content.

I keep occasionally misreading the thread as "the greatest sages of SA forums" but now that you have posted I think it will safely counteract that from happening.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Das Boo posted:

If he hadn't been so dismissive and condescending towards people genuinely pleading with him to take good advice, it wouldn't be so schadenfreudey. The story of Icarus, played out in real time.

Sounds like a variant of "the goon in the well."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

Don't care. Is he marrying them? Then let the redneck lovemakin' commence.

Even with no context this is a funny post.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

laserghost posted:

I just remembered that goon who was quite good at cooking but had the dirtiest, rust-ridden kitchen imaginable.

Ah, literally first result in google for "something awful kitchen": Hell Kitchen of A Rambling Vagrant!

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/1/

Didn't he have some explanation for why it looked so terrible in there? Like it was partially outdoors or in the middle of a remodel or something? I seem to recall at least some paper-thin rationalization for it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I'm pretty sure i remember him posting about it back before he became a mod. I want to say high school science.

I'm pretty sure he said it was middle school science.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Has search ever worked on SA?

It kind of works now. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I Said No posted:

which serial re-regger has spent the most on the forums anyway, do you think?
infact arent there quite a few of those now, thought it was mostly bitchkilla back in the day but now im not sure how many still take the "you'll get bored of banning me first!" race to the bottom of their wallet stance

I'd wager that Jon Pop spent the most actual money the last couple of years, although Spoonful of Bromide spent enough to probably get a mention.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's too busy re-equipping for his second third deployment.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Avshalom posted:

wasn't there a goon who stole some food from a dairy queen or something and got gunned down by police in the car park while running away and his parents were like "we're a bit sad but the cops did what they had to do"

I want to read this thread - I might even spring for archives to do so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bromide made frequent appearances in the Terrible Webcomics thread for a while there, and was actually semi-reasonable (whoever it was posting under that handle, I guess) toward the end, if memory serves.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I won't paste chat log excerpts because, ugh, but this was posted elsewhere and has Rob talking about how this was all a distraction effort for him to hide his Facebook business (yeah, I have no idea how that makes sense either), and that SA is on the look out for him and that SM is just a decoy. As I said - wormhole of absolute craziness. http://pastebin.com/Pvvk32DF

I started skimming that, and this one line jumped out at me:

code:
Jun 13 13:46:36 <CandyKongg> something awful, a major trolling location is on the lookout for me, 4chan hates me, cwcki hates me, n0chan hates me
Something awful, a major trolling location.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This but unironically.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anime is blood.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I have literally no idea what this means. Not gonna post in this thread anymore.

While this is probably a good plan, I have my doubts as to whether it will actually be adhered to.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd rather listen to her scream than Shmorky talk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Caro got placed into detainment by the loving CIA, there is a 100% chance that he is in a psych facility and not allowed to use a computer or make phonecalls as part of his treatment. Like, it'd be pretty interesting if he started posting again, but the guy has serious mental health problems that require constant medication and care and he also certainly has PTSD from being kept in what is generally agreed upon to be one of the worst prisons outside of North Korea. The rest of that guys life is going to be hell. He suffers from several mental illnesses that lead to him going into prolonged delusional and manic states, once he gets on a concrete drug regimen he's going to have to face the things that he did in those states and it's not exactly the kind of poo poo people normally do (IE buy a car or gamble a lot).

I don't know about how much stock I'd put in that prediction - we have underestimated Caro before.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think complaining about different subforums really reaches the bar to count as a greatest saga. This page has been a slog between whining about FYAD and GBS. Let's at least bash on D&D to be really fair and balanced.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah, gently caress elves and wizards, they are bastards

and the gently caress's the deal with the dice. Come on. You don't need 20 sides just use 6 like a normal die

When I was a kid I had a 30-sided dice. It wasn't used in any of the role-playing games that I played, it was just the nerdiest impulse buy ever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is the only good advice animal image:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

Yes, of course

from the thread his gf made

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689314

I'm not anal about these things at all, what are you talking about

I unapololgetically wear socks and sandals 99% of the time. :hfive:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm wearing them RIGHT NOW :hfive:

As am I. :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how people voluntarily swallow and drink hard, solidified lard maybe

The American Midwest is indeed a mystery.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mine is 888-577-8147

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

The cosplayers do. The rest are all in the community forum. It's possible to disapprove of what they're doing with resorting to hyperbole.

You say that like the people on that forum are not, in fact, literally Hitler.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Come to think of it, has Something Awful ever produced anything good? Not like "funny" good, cause there's been a lot of that. I mean like "charitable and helpful" good.

Goons helped poster Centripetal Horse get back on his feet from being homeless, including fostering his cats while it was being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Whoreax posted:

Counterpoint: pedophilia is bad

Yet ADTRW remains open...