Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I know I read that thread where a lunch of dudes were so high on Krokodil that they bought some land in Texas to try and turn it into a self-sustaining goon retreat. They made a zipline that made kids break the sound barrier before slamming into the side of a Hot Dog stand owned by a impoverished Arkansas man. One of the guys who rode on it ended up in a coma and when he woke up they had to amputate his arm because he was laying on top of it and it was half dead due to Krokodil rot and lack of circulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

get that OUT of my face posted:

I forgot the name of the guy who modded PHIZ, but he also got angry about FYAD trolls in the forum because they'd keep posting in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread with "Ween." He tried to queue bans for posters that kept making those posts, but the admins refused to accept them. I'm not sure whether he stepped down on his own accord or whether other admins and mods came to the decision, but he never made a rambling post like that after it happened.

What's wrong with Ween? Is it just "Baba Booey"-esque shitposting?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unsure if this will be a saga in the end but all the whining back and forth over someone posting fanart exclusively from one game for a year and a half has contributed to getting the fanart thread closed; the QQ mod feedback thread was temporarily closed until a little while ago.

Contributing factors were people talking about creepy anime crap. Maybe it’s my :regd06: talking but if the thread reopens I wonder if we’ll get some “fun” posting challenges.

poo poo, CI claiming that "people stopped complaining therefore people don't hate my posting" is just bullshit. People stopped complaining because either they put him on ignore; or just knew that if they kept pushing it then mods would probate them for complaining too much.

I'm glad FAU put a stop to him; but idiots in that thread should know better than taunting him or poking the bear.

But if the thread is reincarnated, even though all of the other rules were great I hope it no longer has the rule of "no NSFW". The fanart thread is best when it's about showing each other :stonklol:-worthy poo poo, and brokebrain fetishists is the best source of that goldmine. Maybe we need to re-split the "Awesome fanart" and "Awful fanart" threads again, the Deviantart thread in GBS is way slower than the PYF threads were.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

People tend to understand that one easier when you explain it to them that the free door opening makes it so that if they chose a goat initially, then switching wins. If they chose the car, switching loses.

And of course they had a 2/3 chance of picking a goat.

Another explanation that helps people understand the answer intuitively is extrapolating it to 100 doors with 99 goats and 1 car.

You pick a door, and then the host opens 98 doors all which revealing goats. Now, there are two unopened doors left; the one you chose and one random door that the host did not open.

What is the more likely scenario? That the one door you chose at the start had the car, or the random door that the host didn't open?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not even going to touch the Pick discussion, but I have to say I agree with Accordion. I used to browse GBS a bunch back then too. I liked the megathread format since it made it easier to find news or interesting content and effort threads; compared to now where jokethreads outnumber these kind of threads exponentially.

Every time I try GBS again, I don't really find much worth reading. And when I do find good OP it's difficult to stick with a topic when most of the posts early in the thread are jokes about balls instead of discussion.

It always seemed like GBS 2.0 was unessecary when we have FYAD and BYOB for shitposting. Where GBS 1.0 was for random discussion and bullshitting, there was nothing to replace it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

A very long effort post

Just caught up with the thread and I just wanted to give kudos for giving a well thought out and effort-filled post. I didn't see many people talk about it but I feel like I should at least try and say good things about effort posts considering how much more rare they are these days.

But to avoid the venom from the past several threads I'll just leave this picture of Caro I found in the archives.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Bitch, laugh at me one more time. One more loving time and I'll get the secret service called on this dead gay forum. Do you want this website's corpse on your hands? Bitch.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress all y'all I fully intend to produce counterfeit United States currency

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Sir this is an Arby's drive through

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I like brooklyn meal of sadness that shouldn't be called barbecue bbq :shobon:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I followed him on tumblr for a couple of months.

He sucked there too. Just posted lovely photography, and made inane comments on posts that nobody cared about.

He fit in perfectly there.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Stexils posted:

this is a bigger burn on you than fishmech

Yep. :smith:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh boy, I can't wait to hear how Loxtax/the Admin team are planning on making sure it's enforced in the future! :allears:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

ExplodingSims posted:

Going forward there's going to be a serious chance that some high profile politician will have been a poster here.

Obviously it will tank their career.

Yang seems like one of those kids who posted in FYAD trying to impress everybody. Gave up on SA when he got banned for poo poo posting in a grey forum, and went to 4chan/Reddit.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jan 1, 2020

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Calling posters unfunny in a discussion where no one is trying to be funny -- because there's some grievance being discussed. Using that as justification for why the discussion not legitimate as an SA thread (i.e. not funny enough for SA). Justification for why the "funny" posters need to intervene and attend to the rest of the discussion. The supposed "pro-comedy" stance of FYAD is just this thinly disguised common bullying trick.

After invading a space, injecting constant whataboutism to shut down further serious conversation.

Online griefing. Scanning the entire forum for bullying opportunities and openly discussing it (see FYAD's "gbs superstar" megathread). Calling for the shutdown of entire massive discussion spaces (TGRS / CSPAM / all of SA) and safe havens for marginalized people / political types in order to score a win.

Shutting down any conversation where the vulnerable are standing up for themselves by labeling it "politics". Claiming to want a "politics free" space. This is straight out of the alt right playbook for taking over a social media space. Once a space has become "depoliticized", running off the vulnerable members, and steering everyone else toward punching down where they once punched up. Convincing Lowtax to segregate most chat about oppression into a special subforum unabashedly called "triggers" (TGRS).

Astroturfing. When FYAD regulars see FYAD or forums conflict being discussed, they attempt to blend in and pass their opinions off as coming from a neutral / disinterested party, instead of from themselves. Hit and run opinion posts without any disclosure of vested interest. This trick worked better back when hardly anyone knew which usernames were associated with FYAD. Frequently has included an invasion, as more FYAD regulars rapidly agree with the opinion and create the illusion of thread consensus. In QCS it was frequently followed by dogpiling anyone who accuses them of astroturfing, smearing them as paranoid and unfunny to redirect the accusation, still with no disclosure that they are the very FYAD regulars being discussed.

Discouraging everyone from monitoring the situation by claiming that their subforum only contains obscure humor that you wouldn't "get". When anyone finally overcomes that and opens FYAD, it turns out it's not incomprehensible because of the humor -- it's incomprehensible because it's full of juvenile bullying, complex drama, and threads about scanning the forum for bullying opportunities. Sociopathic behavior *is* incomprehensible to normal people.

Whenever there's trouble, bypassing the whole community and going straight to dad. As we saw the other day, filling up Lowtax's paid chat stream and facebook feed, now that he mainly spends his time there, and admits he feels "unsafe" posting on his own forum where he faces criticism. In this case it's more than just FYAD contributing since social media at large is crawling with alt-right. But the goal is shared.

Attacking the representative-based moderation system itself. FYAD regulars immediately dogpile mods whenever one is scandalized. At times they have coordinated and timed this behavior in the "GBS superstar" thread, which is FULL of egregious mod sass over the years. Immediately announcing a consensus that the mod should resign / be fired, independent of what the rest of the forum thinks. FAU and others got discouraged and stepped down during this treatment during threads that were overrun by FYAD regulars.

Encouraging the overall number of mods on the site to be reduced, and using whataboutism to delay new people from being modded.

Grooming tons of individual forums figures with promises of inner-circle acceptance if they join in on the fun, where "fun" is really a stand in for abuse. Groomed individuals, who are not bullies themselves, tend to develop a bit of stockholm syndrome. Even mod/admins cowed to the fear of disapproval, labels of being "unfunny", or the crowd turning against oneself -- thus FYAD ended up with special status and immunity from the rules that you see enforced elsewhere.

The aforementioned "I'm not touching you" trick to instigate others to punch back and get punished while they enjoy relative immunity.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

just another posted:

Extremely cool to be on the ground floor of another pathetic saga, right here - - - in this thread!!!

quote:

Calling posters unfunny in a discussion where no one is trying to be funny -- because there's some grievance being discussed. Using that as justification for why the discussion not legitimate as an SA thread (i.e. not funny enough for SA). Justification for why the "funny" posters need to intervene and attend to the rest of the discussion. The supposed "pro-comedy" stance of FYAD is just this thinly disguised common bullying trick.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Spanish Manlove posted:

lol i'm gbs as gently caress dude, i'm not fyad

Why do you care about FYAD and it's posters then?

or do you just like putting trans people in their place?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Cool, stop giving a poo poo in a race you apparently have no dog in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

woozy pawsies posted:

is it impossible for you to imagine that people who arent part of fyad think the attacks on it are ludicrous? like you cant imagine an outside observer not siding with you?

I can't, a forum that prides itself on being so obtuse and insufferable can't have many people who care this much about it without being invested in its culture.