Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can't believe nobody has brought up the goon who posted recently in E/N about hiking across the US for mental health awareness with probably the worst planning ever and a silly cart full of supplies.

Yeah that was one of the more legit excellent reads of recent years. We all gained a fantastic awareness of his mental health at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So the thread has brought up Spoonful of Bromide a few times - the teen obsessed with a trashy, largely forgotten about Penny Arcade wannabe comic who had a massive meltdown over an SA poster who decided to walk away from drawing his comic after realizing this kid had maaajor issues going on. If you're not familiar, it's linked in SAclopedia. It spawned two pretty entertaining threads.

So I remembered that he re-regged a bunch as he eventually found an artist to do some panels, but those posts were generally completely wiped out from the forums, so I did some googling to see if there was any more to the tale.

And that was the beginning of staring into the abyss of some absolute crazy that isn't really summed up in one place, but has bits and pieces everywhere and a lot of deleted dead ends.

So for anyone interested in this insanity, Spoonful of Bromide isn't one person: it's two. One younger guy called Andy, who I don't think has a huge internet presence by himself, and a guy called Robert Wayne Stiles who absolutely does.

The funny thing is someone early in the E/N thread alludes to the poster pretending to be Robert. So near but so far, but nobody really pays attention to the link to this guys ED page which is about as long as War and Peace.

So for anyone still interested, Bromide isn't in fact a teenage gender confused poster but in actually the spawn of a batshit insane, drug addicted, poo poo flinging, 30 year old male prostitute who gets trolled so hard, so regularly that he built this second alias of Trey Williams/Liz Davis with his boyfriend to somehow misdirect everyone from all the other nonsense going on in his life.

What was genuinely one of the 'greatest sagas of SA' doesn't even get a cursory 2 word mention in the history of this dude. I feel sorry for the lady on here who got caught up this web of loving awfulness.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm glad it's not just me who found it a fairly fascinating story. There's a good link here which nailed a lot of it after being emailed by Spoonful and did some digging of their own. They didn't pick up on the 'second poster' theory that came up later and fairly significant but the rest fits.

http://www.webcomicpolice.com/2014/12/shredded-moose.html?m=1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Edit: Holy cats, a year after the first meltdown, Bromide comes back to SA (as UniqueLikeMonique) and flips out in BYOB, of all places, about his stupid comic:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689737&userid=210279

I'm on awful.app most of the time so like the other poster above, I've not seen that much of Bromide's posting on SA as it's hard to get a working link, and they seem to be deleted off rather than just banned in quite a few places. Based on 2015 factor, I'd imagine that's pretty much just Andy posting as I think he's the one who actually somewhat 'legitimately' tried to put out "Watch Ur Mouth" and it was just Stiles influencing him. He also came back to Tumblr last year it seems, after pretending to be the person who made that Shredded Moose comic. They have so many names and post so much it's genuinely hard to work out who it is, and when.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Bromide made frequent appearances in the Terrible Webcomics thread for a while there, and was actually semi-reasonable (whoever it was posting under that handle, I guess) toward the end, if memory serves.

The very first post I saw where they talk about SM for the first time is surprisingly coherent and as close to normal as I've ever seen either of them write, too.

I Said No posted:

I never got why the gently caress anyone would obsess over Shredded Moose of all loving things. It wasn't just a penny arcade wannabe, it was actively, aggressively edgy and awful. Like half of the jokes were "Ha ha, abortions!". Basically just imagine Oglaf except not funny in any way ever.

Oh absolutely, it's utter garbage. Someone put together a 'guide' to it from the POV of someone who hates it, but in all fairness I'm pretty suss about the legitimacy of that and think it might just have been Andy/Robb under another guise. Certainly the majority of people emailing in are one of those two, and the whole thing seems to undergo a massive mental breakdown as it goes on too. http://shreddedmooseproject.blogspot.com

I won't paste chat log excerpts because, ugh, but this was posted elsewhere and has Rob talking about how this was all a distraction effort for him to hide his Facebook business (yeah, I have no idea how that makes sense either), and that SA is on the look out for him and that SM is just a decoy. As I said - wormhole of absolute craziness. http://pastebin.com/Pvvk32DF

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember thinking that was really lovely at the time. Funny how things change.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apart from being an adult who wears and shits in a diaper out of choice, they're a real swell dude I'm sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Worst. Episode. Ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is, so I've got some bad news for you Mr West...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Solice Kirsk posted:

He was close to like 350 posts too want he? It was fantastic.

There was also a mod challenge where one of the challenges was to go into Creative Convention and give feedback about a bunch of drawings by comparing them to Gundam and saying that they should have made things more "round."

Similarly I liked that thread in GBS where every participant was given a particular thread or forum where they had to post something confusion/obnoxious. It caused so much chaos until everyone caught on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember there was an okcupid thread that was 99% people reviewing each others profiles and giving advice on improving them, but something so awful apparently happened that it was removed without trace and nobody ever talked about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something along those lines was always my assumption, but it didn't really fall in line with what the thread was about. I don't recall there being any cross-goon dating happening, unless it was someone offsite whose profile had been posted or something. Yucky, regardless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powaqoatse posted:

I think in the P-P-Powerbook thread, some goon drove by the presumed scammer's house & took a photo of it, and it later turned out it was a completely unrelated house.

Two different threads from memory -

P-P-Powerbook was a guy selling his PowerBook on eBay who realised the winning bid was a scam, so went along with it and shipped a useless binder with gags on it and marked up at full retail cost so the guy would have to spend about £100 or so on getting it from customs. Goons went to the cybercafe/barber shop in London and messed around with screen savers and watched goings on.

The other one I'm a little hazier about, but a girl bought a MacBook Pro off someone here and turned out it was a scam - so she got the computer and he got nothing. People were driving past the alleged house and taking photos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it was goon Melee Beats getting screwed over by a Ms Madeleine Giroux.

That's the one, I recognize his name.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be a goons.zip file of homegrown pictures I can only assumed was assembled from dpph.

Nothing exciting unless 640x480 fuzzy webcams of posters you've never heard of is your thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd bailed on that thread before the friend turned up, and half of me wishes I'd kept it that way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure anyone ever did that, but there was definitely confusion from some people that eyeballing meant ingesting through your eye socket rather than the actual meaning of 'estimating the right dose without a scale'.

Both equally dumb when it comes to that stuff, mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powaqoatse posted:

..like a lovely cyberpunk movie from the 90s where the only way to take a drug is to inject it into your tearducts, so the story sticks.

The closest thing I can think to, is the 'probably only seen it if you were a teen in Britain in the late 90s' where Rhys Ifans' character in Kevin and Perry Go Large would shoot vodka through his eye. During the end credit sequence you can see it eventually ends up falling out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powaqoatse posted:

welp you should watch more lovely scifi from the 90s my boy

I spent 20 years avoiding it, how dare you trick me into giving it a shot!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vladimir Poutine posted:

She went to jail for a little while in that thread and mentioned several times that she "got some money" so it's entirely possible she's incarcerated, though to be honest death is probably more likely :/

She wasn't just a fully blown addict, but someone who seemed to lack any knowledge with regards to what she was doing. Gotta be dead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still like how Caro is trotting the 'freelance photographer' line even in that blog post. I don't think I've ever seen any photos he's taken, just that video blog where he was moving between medic and sniper, scaring everyone around him. He probably caused more damage as a medic, as a sort of accidental Mengele.

Still love the complete naïveté as to why everyone who recognized him being full of panic, and that he thinks everyone is a spy. Never change.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kelp Me! posted:

I know what you're trying to say here but holy poo poo how did the formatting get so hosed up on that

Yeah that took an asskicking! I saw some others in the SA iPhone app thread say it was struggling with some non-alphabetical characters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also FYAD didn't give a poo poo about the dudes girlfriend, it was only Ozma. The other posters were just laughing along.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's hilarious. It's an almost dead subforum nobody reads anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

..in a thread talking about the history of SA before everyone left.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I never knew who drew that detective doob strip, that was one of the best things that came from it all. As run into the ground as it was, doob saga had some pretty amazing moments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK, one of the newspapers (most likely the Daily Sport) had a running countdown to Lindsey Dawn MacKenzie's 16th birthday so they could legally run topless photos of her. It was so skeezy it had to have been a good reason why someone eventually said 'wait, you can legally sexually exploit children in this way?' and the limit got bumped to 18. This was in the 90s.

Grown adults can still legally bang 16 year olds, but I'd like to think all but the worst social circles would call out anyone who actually does this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So this is kinda interesting, I'm always adding things to my YouTube watch later list from my subscriptions, recommendations etc and I just got around to watching this. I thought it was going to be a compilation of old Gorgeous George Sux vids and fancied a trip down memory lane, but turns out it's a short documentary about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf97-sVZCiE

I kind of wish I knew nothing about George, because the juxtaposition about him talking about how amazing his work and talent are next to clips of his show would be mind blowing. It works well as a documentary, as I bet George saw final cut and thinks it's fantastic while everyone else can watch it and wonder what planet the guy is on. Just letting him sit there and talk is the best course of action with this guy, as you don't even need to provoke him.

I found it quite funny that he brought up Danny McBride stealing his look, because I always kinda hoped George would lose it on a scale where they'd make a movie about him, as McBride could nail it perfect without even trying.

I also like that Kevin got a genuinely good joke in towards the end, while George just waffles on and talks over him. "I've been waiting for overnight success for over 20 years now". Could well be a stolen line, but it works perfectly where it is.

It was fairly apparent that it's obviously an anti-George piece but I had to laugh when the directors name came up - Brandon Hardesty. So it's probably been posted here before, as Brandon is the goon who used to do funny videos and played the live action Cartman on that South Park episode. One of the things he was famous for here? An impression of George in a 'day in the life of' video. Wonder if George even realizes that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is indeed. I traced back how it appeared in my recommended lists and it seems the other guy involved makes lots of short, indie wrestling documentaries and I'd watched a few.

It's actually a decently made thing, and if there was more of a story to George than 'local cable access man is completely unaware of how unimportant he is', it could've scaled to something like American Movie. I'm glad they kept it to about 25 minutes though, it made it an enjoyable watch rather than a drag.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha. Yeah he's such a blowhard. I remember back that Kevin always had some sympathy on here, and George just doesn't understand why he attracts all the hate and trolling and Kevin doesn't.

Kevin's just a weird dude along for the ride with his impressions that are so out of date I can't even comprehend why he does them. It's like he fixtated on an era of talk show television and never realized the world moved on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kelp Me! posted:

A world-famous MMA fighter is apparently a high-level player in some random MMO

It's awful the deranged things people will do when they're kicked in the head professionally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ ha, that's amazing.

BJPaskoff posted:

Honeydew and most of the Yogscast are from SA also.

I only watched a video the other day saying how they basically screwed over a ton of people with a failed kickstarter. Never heard of them before that. #goonprojects

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think it's fair to blame the people who ran the kickstarter for the kickstarter being a humongous failure

Exactly. Although I think anyone who puts money down on kickstarter for a video game is a crazy person, regardless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Wasn't Zero Punctuation almost a front page feature? IIRC there were at least preliminary discussions.

Yeah from memory he felt he (rightfully) deserved to be financially compensated and lowtax apparently disagreed.

I'm gonna guess if even some of the incoming funds from signups/upgrades was put towards content, SA would be more than just a forum people from 10 years ago still visit to talk poo poo on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The best 'lulcow' as the Chris Chan brigade like to dub the people they track every movement of was Jace Connors, because it was a member of MDE that managed to keep up a fake persona that lulled them in for about 2 years. It was pretty sad from both sides, in all honesty. What a waste of everyone's time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly! It's the same as most trolls, they're usually just as broken as the people they pretend to be, just in a slightly different way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He always sucked, but the cheerleading around him here sucked even more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Might be more to it, as TenementFunster turned up in the gun thread in GBS the other day and I don't think I've ever seen as much venom towards a poster I've never heard of before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ghostlight posted:

I think that has more to do with the rest of his rap sheet.

Sorry I meant more along the 'other people getting banned' part than the subject matter, I don't know anything about that.

Although the person that OldTennisCourt was talking about is different I think... there was a biker who got very handsy (or possibly more) with a girl goon and she posted about it herself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keru posted:

Yeah, the deviantart furry dragon-dicker is TheGlavwen, who jumped on it like, a couple years after the original 'advent calendars' and managed to gently caress it up so badly that nobody wanted to touch the whole thing since.

Yeah, the original dude was buml0r.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that the guy who ran the super creepy forum too?