Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GenericMartini posted:

Did they ever get the DLC to work on PC? Like I loved the stache on Frank in the 360 version but capcom hosed up the DLC on steam

Well what do you mean by "work"? I have the Cosplay pack and the items are in the game and if you wear them all together you get special abilities, so I guess they're working as-advertised.

At least, I think they're still in the game post-Steamworks. I bought the game when it was GFWL, bought that one DLC pack, then they switched to Steamworks and although I co-oped with a friend I didn't really pay attention to if they had the DLC in the locker or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
For all of the DLC outfits, you actually only need to wear one piece to gain the full effects :ssh:

In OTR though, all of the original dlc costumes from DR2 need the complete sets though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I like how Dead Rising 2 expanded clothing options. I was honestly really surprised at how little interactivity there is in the first game when I replayed it this year. More games need to let the protagonist dress up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The obvious next step is to let you dress up combat-capable survivors.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The obvious next step is to let you dress up combat-capable survivors.

Given that combat capable survivors had their own stats in Dead Rising 3, I'm honestly surprised they didn't add a system where they gain PP and get smarter and more helpful over time. That might have pushed the game too far into RPG territory though.

Then instead of expanding on it, 4 looks to have ditched it entirely.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Does 4 address 3 at all? Like do they retcon it out or what?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like how Dead Rising 2 expanded clothing options. I was honestly really surprised at how little interactivity there is in the first game when I replayed it this year. More games need to let the protagonist dress up.
Yeah, 1's rather limited. I had Frank rock a white suit, red tinted Morpheus shades, and a completely shaved head for my second playthrough where I completed the story when I finally played through the whole game on the PC version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's improved in OTR other than Frank being added?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

One of the major NPCs is one of the playable characters in a Dead Rising 3 DLC. Otherwise it's more or less unconnected to the other games in the series outside of Frank.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, 1's rather limited. I had Frank rock a white suit, red tinted Morpheus shades, and a completely shaved head for my second playthrough where I completed the story when I finally played through the whole game on the PC version.

There's a lot about 1 that I remember being mindblown at the time and replaying it has kind of shocked me in how limited it really is. I still enjoyed the replay mind you, but I did have some rose tinted glasses on I think.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Well there's a new area to explore, a few new boss fights, new combo cards and the story plays out somewhat differently. There's also a sandbox mode where there is no timer and you can complete challenges. Photography also returns.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
on the other hand, you lose chuck, the best protagonist

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yes it addresses 3.

quote:

Well there's a new area to explore, a few new boss fights, new combo cards and the story plays out somewhat differently. There's also a sandbox mode where there is no timer and you can complete challenges. Photography also returns.

Its also much harder than vanilla DR2, survivors have a lot less health, they cannot free themselves then grabbed and all enemies have wider agroo ranges and are SUPER aggressive now, the looters in particular are a pain in the rear end as they will attack you regardless of the distance between you and them, its also harder to make some of the more game breaking stuff like the defiler.

I vastly prefer the original DR2 but I also wound rage quitting DR1 because I couldn't deal with the garbage A.I anymore.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 10, 2016

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Verviticus posted:

on the other hand, you lose chuck, the best protagonist

He really is the best protagonist. I'm starting in on Off The Record and Frank is just such an unrelatable putz compared to Chuck. I know that's the point, but still ...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do like Chuck better than Frank, yeah. I never got why people hated him so much.

Hell, one of the reasons I just don't enjoy OTR is that I think the Chuck joke is way too dark. :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I, on the other hand, love both Chuck and that joke.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chuck wasn't as memeworthy as Frank. That's about the only reason people didn't like Chuck compared to Frank. Even though Chuck's personality is very intentionally aping Clint Eastwood.

To be fair, I think people dislike Nick more than either of them and don't dislike Chuck as a protagonist as much now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My big dream feature for a Dead Rising game is that they rip off the Suikoden series and have it so survivors actually bring back specific benefits to your safe area: new features, extra resources, new rooms, minigames, etc.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chuck wasn't as memeworthy as Frank. That's about the only reason people didn't like Chuck compared to Frank. Even though Chuck's personality is very intentionally aping Clint Eastwood.

To be fair, I think people dislike Nick more than either of them and don't dislike Chuck as a protagonist as much now.

I thought Chuck was just a cipher until I noticed how he operates: if you're not Katey, he doesn't care. The end. He's not that stoic, he's just really, really focused.

Nick has really stupid hair, but he grew on me after the first couple of in-game days in DR3. He starts off whining a lot and starts to come into his own once the airplane's been fixed.

I'm replaying DR3 right now on Steam, and I have to admit, it's tone-deaf as gently caress (I don't know how the Big D side mission got cleared for release, since it's kinda overtly racist) but I think people are too hard on it. There are a couple of really good boss fights, and I like Rhonda a lot.

One thing I thought was funny about DR4 is that it goes out of its way to not mention Nick. Katey gets name-dropped in a couple of collectibles, as does Darlene, of all characters (she's the Gluttony psychopath), but the closest it comes to talking about Nick is that you can find his outfit.

The big consequence of DR3 is that Brad Park, from "The Last Agent" DLC, is in DR4 and he's apparently the head of the ZDC now. Brad has also kicked enough rear end that, once there was a cure for the zombie parasite, the ZDC was able to distribute it nationwide. Everyone in North America is now vaccinated against the parasite and everyone who had it before is now cured. Which doesn't help in DR4 because it's an older version of the parasite, and is the breed that wiped out Carlito's hometown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

My big dream feature for a Dead Rising game is that they rip off the Suikoden series and have it so survivors actually bring back specific benefits to your safe area: new features, extra resources, new rooms, minigames, etc.

I had no idea how badly I wanted this until just this moment.

I mean I guess there are a couple of zombie games like that but still.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

King Vidiot posted:

Well what do you mean by "work"? I have the Cosplay pack and the items are in the game and if you wear them all together you get special abilities, so I guess they're working as-advertised.

At least, I think they're still in the game post-Steamworks. I bought the game when it was GFWL, bought that one DLC pack, then they switched to Steamworks and although I co-oped with a friend I didn't really pay attention to if they had the DLC in the locker or not.

Yeah when they switched over to steamworks the DLC wouldn't be there. Like I made sure to do everything I could to try and get them to appear but they would never activate, it's why the DLC has awful reviews because it doesn't appear in the lockers so you can't even wear it.

Wanderer posted:

I love Suikoden and I love Dead Rising so I'm done for this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Onmi posted:

It also makes you run super fast holding a survivor.
which is half-pointless because you're actually pretty much unstoppable when carrying a survivor anyway - god bless THE BOOT!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you enjoy the story and cutscenes it's pretty neat to get "behind the scenes" frank, and find out all the stuff that Chuck was dealing with but unaware of. If you are just gonna skip all the cutscenes then it's not super great but it's still a good dead rising game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
DR2 OTR won't even let me use the Xbone pad lol.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I never finished Off the Record, but I thought it was a What If/alternate continuity storyline to Dead Rising 2 and not a side story. Especially since Chuck is a boss fight and Katie is dead.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GUI posted:

I never finished Off the Record, but I thought it was a What If/alternate continuity storyline to Dead Rising 2 and not a side story. Especially since Chuck is a boss fight and Katie is dead.

It is. Especially since at the end Sullivan is actually a decent guy, and dies, and the red headed safe house girl is actually the Phenotrans spy

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Wanderer posted:

Which doesn't help in DR4 because it's an older version of the parasite, and is the breed that wiped out Carlito's hometown.

Every new retcon I hear about is dumber than the first

At least DR3 built it's dumb story in top of 1 and 2, these writers behind 4 can't write anything clever but still feel the need to go back and fix DR1's plot.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 10, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Rebecca lives as well.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I actually think I like DR3 a lot. The map is really bad of course, but it's got some really cool moments.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The Chuck reveal in DR3 is the best.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No, using Rhonda as a combo weapon was the best.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
"Combine Rhonda"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Every new retcon I hear about is dumber than the first

At least DR3 built it's dumb story in top of 1 and 2, these writers behind 4 can't write anything clever but still feel the need to go back and fix DR1's plot.

It isn't actually a retcon. It was already established that Carlito had done some fairly significant tinkering with the parasite, albeit with Isabela's help. For example, he knew enough about it to immunize the baby who'd grow up to be Nick.

The big retcon in DR4 is saying that Barnaby was in Willamette long enough to establish not only a lab, but a cover operation for it. I don't think the original game ever said why Carlito hit Willamette in particular, aside from the thematic significance of him wanting to hit as consumerist a target as possible, but now it kind of looks like he hit Willamette because Barnaby was there.

As of right now, my biggest problem with the Dead Rising story, which is a lot more straightforward than people seem to think it is, is that (DR3 spoilers) Isabela's plan to flush Nick out by causing the Los Perdidos outbreak is a really dumb loving plan. Not only does it make Isabela a monster but the entire thing hinges on Nick not dying to something else before Isabela finds him, which was nowhere near guaranteed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Isabela in 4 at all?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wanderer posted:

It isn't actually a retcon. It was already established that Carlito had done some fairly significant tinkering with the parasite, albeit with Isabela's help. For example, he knew enough about it to immunize the baby who'd grow up to be Nick.

The big retcon in DR4 is saying that Barnaby was in Willamette long enough to establish not only a lab, but a cover operation for it. I don't think the original game ever said why Carlito hit Willamette in particular, aside from the thematic significance of him wanting to hit as consumerist a target as possible, but now it kind of looks like he hit Willamette because Barnaby was there.

As of right now, my biggest problem with the Dead Rising story, which is a lot more straightforward than people seem to think it is, is that (DR3 spoilers) Isabela's plan to flush Nick out by causing the Los Perdidos outbreak is a really dumb loving plan. Not only does it make Isabela a monster but the entire thing hinges on Nick not dying to something else before Isabela finds him, which was nowhere near guaranteed.
With Barnaby it is a retcon because in 1 Carlito lures him to Willamette so he can have his revenge against him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

With Barnaby it is a retcon because in 1 Carlito lures him to Willamette so he can have his revenge against him.

Ah, hell, you're right.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Frank's back and older than ever.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

https://youtu.be/VsiMATI4SbY

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ray Sipe is a national treasure.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I assume 4 follows in 3s footsteps and lacks an OST full of extremely cheesy but ownage songs?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I assume 4 follows in 3s footsteps and lacks an OST full of extremely cheesy but ownage songs?

FIRE!
burn my lips, take a swig for old time's sake!

FIRE!
touch my heart, bring me back my smile!

also DR3 had one good song, which was the pride battle even if the actual boss was dumb in the bad way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9fJ6ejreJM

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 12, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think my favorite part of Dead Rising is how it insists on using the buttest of rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

now ladies and gentlemen it's time for once again for that sensational new game show, whip that pork!

boykin's theme is also mega underrated imo. that's a hype as heck theme and boykin + his boys are cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlY_NSO2fE

• Locked thread