Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, Chuck was more of a stoic badass hero parody and they seemed self-aware when they made him. Nick was just straight-up a regular human being so he was really boring and milquetoast, which is what you don't want in a game like Dead Rising.

Also absolutely none of the supporting characters were memorable in any way, and the story of Dead Rising 3 felt incomplete. It seemed like there were cutscenes or something I was missing because everybody seemed to know each other and what was going on but I barely did, or barely cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

If you're literally the only journalist reporting from inside the site of a terrorist attack involving zombies, which nobody knew could exist prior to the incident, I'd imagine you'd become pretty famous. But Frank basically Ashed his way to the top, he just happened to be the right guy in the wrong place and as it turned out he was really good at killing zombies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just can't wait until the original comes out on PC now so that I can do 14 hour survivor all over again :suicide:

VV My 360 literally RRoD'd within a day or two after doing that. But at least I got my Real Mega Buster and Real Lazer Sword!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 2, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think Dead Rising 3 was redeemed by the huge dong flamethrower with tank balls, and the firework forklift. That being said I'll probably never replay it anytime soon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I really don't get that attitude, there are plenty of franchises where they stick with a single character every single game. Dead Rising is a series where they've have three games and as many protagonists, then a Frank spin-off and now a return to Frank. Hell, I'd say most single-player franchises don't even give you the option of playing a different protagonist. Dead Rising has way more variety than, say, Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

But that's just me and I love Frank and I'd be fine with him being the star of every Dead Rising game, even if that's not quite what we got.

e: And if we're talking Saints Row then all four of the main games had the "same" protagonist no matter what they look like or what their voice sounds like.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Thank loving god Dead Rising 1 is going to be on Steam, because I don't want to mess with the Windows 10 App Marketplace but I really wanna play Dead Rising again.

I mean I would've sucked it up and dealt with it but ugh.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

GenericMartini posted:

Dead Rising 1 is my favorite so I'm glad they're putting it on steam, kinda disappointed that they're adding more save slots tho

If it's any consolation, I assume you can just not use the other save slots and just override the one slot if you restart.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The original game required you to start extra profiles if you wanted to, say, have more than one person play it on the same console.

That, but mostly they probably added it for the same reason they've been phasing out the time limit and save limit in the sequels. There are people who just don't get or like the core aspect of the Dead Rising series, and they wanted to appeal to the widest audience since the original didn't really do all that well. The whole series has been pretty niche from the beginning, the people who love it really love it but everybody else had kind of ignored it. And the limited saves and time limit were probably the main reason for that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Still got Gone Guru in my music playlist.

I don't buy single songs from Amazon all the time, but when I do they're Gone Guru.

I wish people could hear your radio in GTA Online so they could hear me riding up on their rear end in a machine gun Insurgent blasting Lifeseeker.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think Off the Record was the one that got it right. Multiple saves if you want to make "profiles" for roommates or siblings or whatever, and a checkpoint system so that if you die and forgot to save you're not totally hosed. But they still kept the time limit which is the core of Dead Rising and what makes the series unique.

You're supposed to fail, it's a zombie mini-apocalypse and mistakes will be made. Then you start over stronger and also more aware of where to be and when.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Agoat posted:

I remember with survivors you'd ping them a spot to move to then just run along side them. It wasn't great but learning that trick made the game 10x easier. Also so did infinite orange juice.

ABW - Always Be Waypointing. Also you can run into them to shove them, they'll stagger back and then get back on the right AI path. Useful if they get stuck behind an ankle high obstruction or a potted plant or something. Honestly I didn't play Dead Rising for the first time until after watching Oatmealraisin's playthrough, so I went in knowing a ton of strategies a first-timer typically wouldn't.

Also yeah, get as many orange juices you can take from Colombian Roastmasters along with the awning katana. Katawning.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Played for an hour this morning before work, saved Aaron and Burt and the two of them proceeded to not only not follow any of my waypoints, they also got in the middle of a zombie gangbang that I had to rescue them from. Then they ran to the nearest pillar and mashed their faces against it while running in place.

Ahhhhhhhhh, it's good to be back :allears:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, it's been long enough that I'd forgotten just how frustratingly tight some of those time windows are. I've just reached the morning of Day 2, the time when you have to do all of the following in like four hours game-time:

-Kill Seon and get medicine
-Return to the safehouse
-Rescue Tonya and Ross
-Save Pamela and Heather
-Be back at the safehouse when Barnaby wakes up

Maybe not necessarily all in that order. Tonya and Ross have to be rescued before Barnaby wakes up though, and getting them means you'll activate Heather and Pamela on your way back through Paradise Plaza. I got Heather and Ross to the elevator alive, but then I loving died to a single zombie because I had one block of health and no healing items.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I couldn't even save Ross, he just didn't want to climb the ledge to reach the safehouse, I managed to get Tonya inside after 5 minutes of setting markers but I had to put Ross down as I was in danger of failing the Medicine mission.

Oh yeah, I forgot that on my previous attempt I saved Tonya and Ross but had to reload a save because after shoving them around for a bit at the ledge I checked my watch and it was seconds from mission fail. At one point I was literally at the duct, then I turn to face Tonya and Ross and they knocked each other off the loving ledge.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just can't bring myself to replay 3. It's not a terrible game, but after redownloading it a while back I just got to thinking about it and decided to uninstall it again. There's just something missing from that game, and it's not Frank.

I think my biggest gripe with 3 is that it's too much of a sprawling mess. What I liked about 1 and 2 was that they were smaller, self-contained areas. I don't want Dead Rising to be an Open World, I just want it to be a playground. I want it to be a ball pit full of zombies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Agoat posted:

I always hit the weapons locker for those.

I hated the weapons locker too, some (lazy) people might call it a quality of life improvement but I thought it took away yet another unique thing about the Dead Rising series.

Now the clothing dresser on the other hand, that was a fine idea. Because all that poo poo is purely cosmetic and I hated having to run around just to re-find an item of clothing after changing into something else for a while.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

One of my favorite parts of Dead Rising is the toy store packages

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

To be fair to DR1, the triple-booked chainsaw is something you'd only know about from playing and exploring for a while, or from word of mouth. Nobody who didn't already know that trick going in would figure it out for a least a playthrough or two.

DR2's knife gloves were just a common thing you could make and stockpile.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Capcom got it into its head that Frank himself was the major draw of Dead Rising. It's also why he's in so many crossover games.

Good, took them long enough :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw33ALUT7I

If anyone's interested, this is one of the earliest trailers for the original Dead Rising, which was made with a relatively early beta version of the game. It was a bit hard to find.

I love the part where they're jumping around doing crazy moves with the toy laser sword, but of course none of the zombies are actually dying because it's a plastic toy.

Are those Totally-Not-Star-Wars animations even in the final game? I never tried using the toy laser sword because it's totally useless.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

He's basically Nathan Drake, Photojournalist now. If the game's good I might still buy it, maybe. It's not on Steam though which is a huge mark against it in addition to all the other stuff against it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

This all sounds like DR4 is the Hitman: Absolution of Dead Rising. And like Hitman, the Dead Rising franchise's only hope is a full-stop reboot back to square one but with better graphics and quality-of-life stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

(i.e. People thought the only good thing about 3 was the naval battles? Let's have the next game be about pirates then." as well giving the series a few years off they can revitalize it.)

What actually happened was even more dumb, they were working on an original property that happened to be about pirates and then corporate decided to just make it an Assassin's Creed game. That's why it feels so different, and why it's way better than the other games in the series (so I'm told, I haven't actually played it).

e: Okay I'm watching the Giant Bomb video, jesus they even went so far as to turn all food into generic "Healing Items" which all restore the same amount of health. Or at least that's what I gleamed. Your health is no longer yellow pips, it's just a number and a green bar.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 6, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

1 was great at the time but is too flawed to go back to.

Totally disagree. I replayed the HD "remaster" on PC and it was exactly the same game it was back then and I love it even now.

Good Citizen posted:

2 was pretty much the perfect balance, but still a bit awkward.

I agree with this though. Dead Rising 2 is the one I've replayed the most, even more than Off the Record. You have Stoic Iron-Jawed Hero Chuck Greene, but he's put into goofy situations and it's great to hear him grumble his lines while wearing a moose head and daisy dukes. It was that perfect balance of silly and serious that Saints Row 2 had and none of the other games have captured before or since.

I'd still say that the original Dead Rising is still my favorite if I had to pick one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Backhand posted:

Quickstep is good if you're going for Savior

I'd say it's absolutely necessary for Savior if you want to keep your sanity. Quickstep plus at least level 35ish. When I played the HD version, I did most of the story until the Carlito bomb run, then just dicked around for the remaining day. Then I restarted and did a full Saint run plus Overtime. It was still hectic even with Quickstep but totally doable, and there were stretches of time where I had absolutely nothing to do but kill time.

I agree that Day 2 is the most hectic but I guess I'm a masochist because it's my favorite day.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Onmi posted:

In the lead up to DR4, I watched Brownman do his streams of the DR games on the Xbone. They are still strong as gently caress... though they can crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Gmh3T5yW8

Man, in all the hours I've put into DR2/OTR I've never seen that moustache. I need to know where to find it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Onmi posted:

I believe it was DLC

Oh yeah, the fireman DLC that I don't have. Might have to get it if it's on a deep discount, just for that 'tache.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

GenericMartini posted:

Did they ever get the DLC to work on PC? Like I loved the stache on Frank in the 360 version but capcom hosed up the DLC on steam

Well what do you mean by "work"? I have the Cosplay pack and the items are in the game and if you wear them all together you get special abilities, so I guess they're working as-advertised.

At least, I think they're still in the game post-Steamworks. I bought the game when it was GFWL, bought that one DLC pack, then they switched to Steamworks and although I co-oped with a friend I didn't really pay attention to if they had the DLC in the locker or not.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Just unlock the Wonderland-Paradise shortcut and never deal with them again.

Once you're sufficiently leveled up and have been Quickstepping everywhere so you have time to spare, you can also just go out and kite them into a pole or tree and kill them in 10 seconds. As a bonus you get that sweet ride and machine gun.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Agoat posted:

Is it not fun or just not as good as the others? Is it challenging at least?

From the videos I've seen, you could probably have fun with it if you like Generic 3rd Person Action Games. But no, it's not as good or as detailed as the other games, everything good about the franchise has been dumbed down or stripped out altogether and people who've played it have said it's really easy, especially since there is no time pressure at all or boss encounters.

I may disagree with this guy's video that says GTA IV is "better" than V (it isn't) but goddamn, this is so embarrassing for everybody involved with the making of DR4. I really kind of hope there's never another Dead Rising game now unless they do what Eidos did after Hitman Absolution and just straight-up release an episodic game that goes back to the franchise's roots. They could have mini stories inside of contained areas, kind of like Case Zero or Case West but with bigger maps.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

At this point, why would you care about the Dead Rising franchise's story? None of the developers did.

• Locked thread