Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my first post in this thread, but it's worth posting again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i identify all of these drinks and much, much more with this election, because i intend to drink them all so i can forget

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bless you capitalists. where us plebs see a crisis, you see an opportunity (to make more money)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i get roughly the same reaction when i read the words "San Francisco" as jerry falwell did when he was alive

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blue Train posted:

It's gotten progressively worse since bezos bought it
the post was already pretty crappy before then. now it's no different than going to Salon and the like, it just also happens to have a print edition
remember how horrified liberals and the left were at karl rove's "make everything political" strategy? now they're carrying the torch. there's such a thing as escapism, and it doesn't mean you have to be detached from everything related to politics

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

being nonwhite makes you inherently better to speaking truth to power, this isn't a completely hosed up viewpoint at all

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

seriously I can't be the only one who thinks "X of color" sounds way more condescending than just saying they're Black or Chinese or Lakota or Mexican

because, you know, all minority groups are completely interchangeable and there's no need to be specific when discussing them
ok good, it's not just me. i have no idea when and why the term "nonwhite" fell out of favor, but using "person of color" as a term of empowerment rubs me the wrong way. in addition to what you said, it's a stone's throw away from being "colored person" (a term that i heard someone actually use during a Q&A, no joke)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Agean90 posted:

lmao are there seriously people trying to turn star wars into a political dog whistle?
this isn't even a new target for right-wing cultural purists. there were people complaining how Episode III was anti-Bush when it came out in 2005

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the worst thing the internet has done was import supermechagodzilla-type bullshit to thinkpieces that millions of people click on

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dont worry, maybe. it will probaly die once trump is fully in power. alot of people on the left hate it more then the right does.(plus alot of the alt right justifies its existance off of that bullshit.)
"clicks for money" isn't even a profitable business model. online publications are constantly firing and laying off people. but i don't share your optimism about it ending, because it's not like they'll flip a swtich and find the ability to write articles with substance one day

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"ew, mansplaining is the worst. now excuse me while i make this video. it's where i tell men to shut up and say what new year's resolutions they should make"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like that this kinda bullshit will only grow in the next 4 years.
it's easier to write this creatively bankrupt poo poo than to actually come up with ideas to resist trump. it's not profitable, mind you, because it's been written hundreds of times before and outrage fatigue is a real thing

it's like someone read CD, read a rant from SMG, and decided to import it to Slate. then it caught on to every other website

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the best was that article or tweet or w/e about pretending to be dumb to see exactly how simple you get things explained to you or smth by a man
being a blowhard, believe it or not, isn't a gendered concept

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

devtesla posted:

Thinx is amazing, this is an email they sent a Jezebel staffer:
that's not a bad idea because cheaper drinks are good drinks, but the hashtags are completely unnecessary and stupid. also, this idea exists already, it's called Ladies' Night

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

devtesla posted:

lol what? ladies night is about drawing in women so you can then draw in even more men.
the only difference between these two concepts is marketing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, in the sense that ladies' night is marketed to men more than to women, and whatever bullshit word salad that was was marketed to women, yea. That's a fairly decent difference though.
yeah true. either way, gently caress marketing forever

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gendering terms and insults is OK if you punch up. remember this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if this is about "damsel in distress = sexism" then it's been written many hundreds of times before

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm willing to wager that immortal technique hung out with cooler kids than Nerdcore Theater Idiot and Rachel Maddow Clone #431

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

like the concept of the article isn't even that bad it's just that he wrote it like such a snide self-indulgent jerk-off

it's the equivalent of writing an op-ed about how appalled they are that the new Bladerunner doesn't feature a female lead like the new star wars movies did, listing off a bunch of obscure art house films as examples of what every movie SHOULD be like, and how they refuse to let their daughter see it
also, a newspaper op-ed page shouldn't be copping the same subject matter and surface-level analysis from websites like Slate and HuffPo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i never thought i'd miss the days of Jack Thompson throwing fits over Doom, GTA, Mortal Kombat etc. thanks, terminally woke parents of 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

another thing: this was a line of dialog in Smash 4. the greater context of their games matters and it's quite progressive. he did a whole lot of whining about nothing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

honestly the worst part about these rogue one thinknuggets is that they actually could be of use talking about things like the movie producers deciding they need to reshoot and 'tone down' the female lead because she was 'aggressive' and not testing well and all, that's a pretty hosed up thing to do in a story that kinda famously is lacking in non-Leia cool ladies in the main movies.
oh, that's why she's boring and completely unmemorable. i don't even remember her name. good job hollywood executives

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Denny's and the Los Angeles Kings were pioneers of the "brands can be cool too" style of social media. if there is hell for brands they will both be there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean yea no poo poo you should probably hate the crazy bigoted loser more than a teen vogue writer who...wrote some actually good things about how trump is an rear end in a top hat and his daughter shouldn't be off the hook for her part in the campaign because she's a pretty white woman?
i don't disagree, but god help that magazine if they take the fanfare from terminally woke idiots on Twitter as an excuse to do more political posturing. it's a magazine that tells high school girls how to look good for prom and what to buy if you wanna steal the look of the young celebrity icon of the moment. do it once in a while and i'll look the other way, but do it all the time and you end up becoming just another hot take institution

going back to brands, god bless this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQUhGGSn48g&t=110s

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

papa_november posted:

you seem to be implying that "(telling) high school girls how to look good for prom and what to buy if you wanna steal the look of the young celebrity icon of the moment" is in some way a more noble cause than political posturing
they both suck hard. i don't see why they want to suck in the exact same way as all those other websites, though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

and that's not all folks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Garry Parrish posted:

is this a joke twitter or something
you know how there are facebook meme pages for every lifestyle or occupation out there? air traffic control, accounting, judaism, etc.? this is probably one of those pages but on twitter as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

av club is so loving bad, even by the standards of other "creating bad opinion content for clicks" sites

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LGD posted:

AV Club is explicitly about media and pop-culture though, so them publishing a dumb comparison of politics to a videogame/movie/book/album doesn't strike me as nearly as bad as a general purpose news/commentary site publishing a similar piece. If anyone is going to be publishing articles equating Donald Trump to Voldemort it ought to be them (or someone like them).
i guess so, but i just hate the fact that they're doing it at all, especially since they did a good job of not shoehorning in political grandstanding until the middle of last year

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yep, and after that they fired most of the regular contributors and replaced them with freelancers. that's also why they don't do nearly as many TV reviews

"Great Job, Internet" more like "Great Job, Capitalism"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twoday posted:

Officially there are 196 countries on earth, which means that they are recognizing all kinds of separatist de facto independent states. This could mean that Turkey and OkCupid are the only two entities in the world that recognize the independent sovereignty of Turkish Cyrus.
they're probably counting places like Puerto Rico

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember when terrible hamfisted comparisons to pop culture and real life was exclusively the territory of internet forums for nerds like this one?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

*does the dab with beyonce and stuffs celebrities by the shovelful into her campaign*
*loses to self-admitted rapist*
celebrities are good when they're on your side, duh

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

call to action posted:

Just say "T-Mobile is for cucks." Just loving say it.
t-mobile is for "missionary only" people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thank ms handker

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i once paid rent to this guy at a building he probably didn't own. he's the skinny rat bastard on the left. please purge my city with cleansing fire

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pft commenter is god's gift to the internet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the ACLU are such 1st amendment absolutists that they supported the neo-nazi march through skokie (which caused my grandma to never give to them again) as well as the Citizens United ruling. they still do far more help than harm but they're not perfect

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

protecting all speech is pretty much their greatest virtue
true, but it does manifest itself in awful ways once in a while, like the two i mentioned. tbf i can't think of anything else, someone talked about their 2nd amendment stance but i don't know what that entails

you should still give to both organizations if able. ideological purity is for assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

give to all of them imo