Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

crossposting from the cursed images thread

not the most likely culprit but when is it ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why are all the bad people clean shaven

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

unfortunately we need it to virtue signal that we hate trump

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theyre probably just going to expand the token white guys importance threefold like they did last time once again completely missing the books rather unsubtle point about how there are no good cops

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

the theatrical adaptation actually swung back in the other direction. it's a much more book-accurate version without talking gargoyles and with esmeralda death

this gave me enough hope to read the article but

quote:

Disney’s adding one more movie to its lineup of live-action remakes: 1996’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Now entitled Hunchback, the musical will pull from both the animated film and the original Victor Hugo novel — but not the stageplay created by returning songwriters Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

theyre probably going to add the part about esmerelda being a fake gypsy and keep everything else the same since that's the main thing i can think of that bad writing could try to spin as woke

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Lol at a bbc reporter talking about a twitter backlash boycott that consists of literally three people, at least one of which is an obvious russian bot.

Seems like a transparent attempt by gilette to get a viral boost to their marketing

wait are the russians pro gilette or anti gilette

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stormtroopers are actually perfectly good shots they let everyone escape on purpose so they could follow leia to the rebel base the dialog explicitly says this yet somehow stormtroopers cant aim is the biggest plot hole of all time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i'm inclined to agree with this, particularly regarding basic critical analysis and examining what ideas a show perpetuates or what the ideological content of a piece of media is. people broadly assume entertainment is an apolitical entity (until it suddenly isn't, but that's a different topic) that merely produces and sells escapist fantasies while being discrete and separate from the rest of society. even though they comprehend these things are commercial ventures and vectors for profit and marketing, the ubiquity of those things ensures everyone in a liberal society accepts them as a feature of life and treats intrusive commercialization like natural law.

generally people aren't amenable to examining how, like, sitcoms perpetuate bourgeois myths about the charming simplicity of proletarian life or the insane right-wing content inherent to police procedurals, etc etc. i posted on a very Liberal subreddit about the weird shift in tone in South Park's recent episodes about global warming, which was unexpected on account of their uninterrupted history of peddling right-wing mythology about trans people, jewish people, black people, global warming, wealth inequality, and vegetarianism while going to bat gendered and other slurs, and virtually any puerile thing you can imagine. despite all that I basically enjoy the show but like, want to acknowledge those characteristics, because any show making jokes about topical issues or attempting to construct narratives about real life is going to have political content, South Park is just exceptionally explicit about it. anyway the response I got from reddit Libs was kind of enlightening, because several people responded confused that you could call South Park "right wing" because they, as Good Liberals, enjoyed it, and most importantly, the creators have said many of their jokes are "just jokes" and thus it is unfair to extrapolate their obvious political implications.

anyway, i've just noticed people aren't interested in that kind of thing about any tv show any I think the world of media criticism has suffered for it. I can't remember the last time I saw a good essay about the inherent authoritarianism of poo poo like Law and Order or less obviously the way "progressive" shows like The Simpsons or NBC sitcoms uncritically reproduce and worship the worst parts of Liberal society

i am very tempted to go ahead and start a new thread on the subject but i would want to call it popaganda after that tankie blog i like and i am worried people would make fun of me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm 100% on this train with the media I consume. I really don't give a gently caress about the marxist reading of the Witcher 3, or how the latest battlefield is "problematic." Even though I'm generally sympathetic with those concepts, when I consume media, I am doing it for the express purpose of NOT caring about those things. In the rare case I discuss videogames in the videogames forum, I want to know about the mechanics of the game, not about whatever some arm-chair critic thinks about the representation of women in the new Smash Brothers game.

witcher 3 probably not worth bothering about battlefied is pro military trash no matter how many women they put on the cover and smash is like the end result of capitalism all the criticisms you mention are cases of missing the forest for the trees and exactly why most critics are considered such a huge joke these days

Frog Act posted:

yeah I’ve been looking for an excuse to get super stoned and make a long post comparing Oz and SVU by looking st Christopher Melonis characters in both so id post in such a thread

this guy gets it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

more on producing a better quality of thread the op for best games of 2018 was a generally good read with a good summary of how lots of studios went woke only to hilariously have it be revealed that they were gaslighting shitheads to their female employees but then inexplicably describes far cry as a missed opportunity to call trump bad and then unironically praises ea for emphasizing minority and women active combat personnel in battlefield people are so very very close to realizing that the entire apparatus for producing our mindless media is hosed and that woke branding is a thinly veiled means of trying to disguise these systemic flaws but they always pull back because they dont want to acknowledge the problem is more complicated than kicking out a few token racists

now me i dont see the contradiction with looking at both the text and the metatext of any given work of fiction in tandem i honestly find it easier to appreciate that way casablanca is actually a pretty underrated film when you consider the way its subtly pushes the message of how nazis were in fact bad when a couple of years earlier americans were jonesing for president charles lindbergh its a good propaganda movie mainly because no one ever notices that its a propaganda movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im old enough to remember when anime was sincerely defended this way in academic and pseudo academic circles which is to say im over the age of thirty

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this tweet implies that male children have role models that attend davos which might conceivably be true of the children of master card executives

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

nah this is great. threads already derailed pretty far from posting about securitas tweeting mlk quotes or something but everyone seems cool with it

oh hey that reminds me were coming up on the one year anniversary of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVz1xa7S4Q4

i want a version where the football players are kneeling instead of praying

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

This ad having only a half-second glimpse of one actual black person is bad, but let's not forget the all-time champ in tone-deafness, "that time GE ran a pro-coal ad using Sixteen Tons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

i never knew coal mining could be so sexy

Farm Frenzy posted:

levine said that he didn't intend bioshock to be a commentary on objectivism lol

so did brad bird i think its really more a case of he doesnt want to be known as an objectivist socially lucky for him the word of the creator is considered more important in media interpretation than the text and subtext because criticism these days is atrocious

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why did anyone feel the need to get these two casts together for a photo op are they planning a crossover

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why is it that only superhero movies inspire this level of zen devotion and not like david lynch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plot holes are a popular thing to attack because theyre considered technical errors so you can criticize them while still holding the pretense that you like the movie as a hole

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the main joke of the tweet isnt plot holes its that big budget scripts are being written by imbeciles with connections who get all the royalties while minimum wage interns try to make them readable and a guy who calls himself a film critic thinks standards are too high

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the alt right rejected god for star wars

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have reluctantly come to realize over the years that ebert was actually bad he was a very liberal film critic in writing style as much as politics and this is the main basis for his reputation which was constantly signal boosted by similar institutions

what im saying is plot holes are the washington post fact checks of film criticism does that make sense

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Why don't you do it? I'm a sucker for critical analysis and if we don't already have a thread for it in C-SPAM, we should

we keep talking about doing this and the main reason i havent made the thread yet is because im really busy right now i want to take the time to put serious effort into it the thread will be about american pop culture as a whole and not just film for what its worth

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

weird how the titty thing wasnt mentioned in the fawning obituaries but now its the main thing about his movie preferences anyone remembers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

he also liked gigli exactly one other film critic liked gigli and was fired for it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i only brought up gigli so id have an excuse to post this by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTVG3Zbl5U

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the reason nobody bothers to write continuity anymore is because fans can always be relied upon to make their own convoluted explanations and theories that inevitably have to be reworked when the next movie comes up with something even dumber

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Manky Tungeon posted:

a literal woke food truck

this is making me wonder how much of wokeness is just fear of being accused of cultural appropriation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also why did they name burrito platters after jane goodall and john lennon and george orwell

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the popaganda thread is now online technically ebert titty derails are also off topic over there but they are less off topic over there than they are here

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder if they actually use that car or if it only exists for photo op purposes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im kind of worried the sunny d thing was an actual cry for help from the human who wrote it and its just being disguised as woke branding

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how they keep promoting this movie as being big in the marvel universe because its going to get into the war between the krull and the scree as if this is some kind of legendary rivalry like rome and carthage have any of the movies even mentioned these aliens before why are they assuming anyone is going to care

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wow those are all real movies i mean i figured they were but my brain reacted with such hostility at the concept i had to look them up anyway

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

look at this rube who hasnt heard of fabman

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just got a tonsilitis diagnosis and when the staff at my south korean clinic found out i was uninsured they were worried that the cost might drive me away

it was forty bucks for the doctor to get the poo poo off my tonsils twenty for the optional iv treatment and ten for the medicine i dont think they believed me when i said the same treatment would cost a thousand times as much in the us

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wokeness is confused by sex for the same reason feminism is no one wants to admit that this poo poo is context heavy and there is no magical rule thats going to make us horny bonobos who have constant sex orgies where everyone is a consenting adult

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

a sort of emotionally void pseudo-contractual agreement between strangers to not be overtly malicious towards each other.

sounds like the kinds of relationships corporations have with each other

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

timefly posted:

If you try to do a sex thing and your partner doesn't moan enthusiastically but rather tenses up and chuckles awkwardly then that means "I don't want you to do that". Yet people act like consent means getting a notarized contract ... If you know you're really bad at reading signals and body language, get verbal consent for each thing, otherwise just caring and reading body language ought to be fine

that sounds complicated can you give me a version that can be communicated by george clooney raising his eyebrows were on a deadline here

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are all the articles about the same boy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats what i thought which makes this seem like a weird albeit predictable thing to get mad about that could have been solved by just doing one of the other ones first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just noticed that cover is also promising articles about the shocking relationship between power and sex and also a look at the harvey weinstein defense strategy whos their target audience again