Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll be in again assuming I can make draft time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm in Tokyo still which is EDT+13 currently. I can try to make any day work as long as the times line up for starting 7am to 10pm JST (6pm to 8am). There are some due to unmovable work meetings and such (9am-7pm local time / 8pm to 6am) that I might not be able to do. Most of those are probably fine, but rather than post all sorts of random unmovable meetings I'll just try to be on top of watching times.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Evening of the 6th works for me.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the free $ Beer!

I'll kick it off at $100 FAAB (or $10 real life moneys). Will get more donated later.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Are league settings finalized at 16 teams? Want to get some draft prep on.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bid for a specific spot. So $100 for the 4th, etc.

Oh? Didn't realize it changed in how it works this year.

In that case $100 for 5th pick!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I guess we are targeting 12 teams this year then? Still one short?

e: somehow missed the post with list of 12 teams above... oops

Aredna fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 6, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I hope we have a lot of people ready to spend $$$ this year because with 10 teams there Re on a be a lot of options!

Maybe we add an extra bench or 2 since we dropped down in teams? Should increase cheating opportunities!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Given bye weeks with more than 2 teams out - with 10 players some people just won't have someone to start. And a low QB bench means not a lot of cheating opportunities.

I figure a few benches don't need any real extra prep for a last minute change - but starting lineup could change what people have prepped. Not all of us have a fancy system to spit out projections in 2 minutes for any setup like you do ;)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Tried to set myself up for a bit of cheating - but man I really wish I had a few more bench spots to use for it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
http://www.charitywater.org/about/ Will be my charity for this year.

Pre-betting $10 for the week.

Going to donate $200 as well. $100 of it is through now and a friend is going to be adding $100 later today. I'll update once I confirm their donation is through.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
drat - really wish I'd seen Lavonte David was out in time and had Von Miller starting. A 26 point swing that I won't need, but would be nice to have for tiebreakers!

e: make that 33.5! drat

Aredna fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 19, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Maybe one week I'll have players not change to out after I go to sleep. Hopefully that week is when I need points because these last 2 have been wtf good for me. I expect it to all fall apart at the most opportune time any day now.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Prebidding the usual $100!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Prebid $100 for next week again

Swap Crabtree (30.3) for Sanu (3.2) for $271 and 27.1 points

Total points added for Week 4 are: ($100prebid + $271 = $371) = 37.1 points

Which should put my opponent just out of reach with cheating.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sataere posted:

I kind of want to make a cheating league that is just for greedy fantasy football players who want to keep it all. I have a feeling that would just make everyone assholes.

I think it would be fun as well. But I also think to be successful you'd have to put some sort of cap on donations. Although we've seen that you can win without spending hardly any money on it.

I don't think it would make people assholes all that much more than we already are in this league.

One thing that would go a long ways to preventing assholeism would be conditional cheating. "I want to cheat to sub in players X and Y, but only if needed to beat my opponent." That would get rid of the last minute snipe wins - one or two of which I've taken in the past and definitely been on the lookout for. That would help a lot in the same way that waivers help people that can't sit at their computer to pick up backups the second someone gets injured.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 8, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Yeah - I don't always cheat enough to guarantee it - some weeks that could be like $50 or so if we both start all the wrong people! Maybe a penalty if you have pay through the auto (25% more) or maybe something like pay 50% up front and then the 2nd 50% on use to keep money in the pool.

Basically just some way to eliminate win sniping without making people pay ahead of time.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
$100 pre-bid!

e: oh poo poo i got my time zones off and i'm too late! my bad

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
$100 pre-bid!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Need all the help I can get this week. I was fully prepared for the pre-game bidding war waiting on your post... and then almost forgot myself and jumped on here as quick as I could before kickoff.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
With 6 team playoffs though - this is really still up in the air for anyone to get it. I'm just hoping to get a win this week and have a better chance at a bye week in the first round.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Having more teams also gives us a lot more cheating opportunities because we end up having to start and bench players with a lot more variance as they are further down the depth charts.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Forgot that was a thing this week when I need it and got my rear end handed to me last week. Thanks bye weeks!

Next year, especially if we keep 10 (or stay under 12) teams, I would recommend we add bench spots to promote cheating. I know they'll all count as benches, but being able to have the following we really help week to week:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
1 LB
1 DL
1 DB
1 DP
1 K

For a total of 11 spots. I'd like to add an IR spot as well. I wouldn't have used it this year in this league, but I'm sure some would have liked it. With the added rule that if you game not moving players and have a player in an IR spot that ends up actually playing they are ineligible for cheating.

Would also argue for making minimum FFAB bid $10 FA since we multiplied everything by 10 to make fractional points easier. In a cheating league requiring a real $1 for a single waiver move is pretty reasonable still.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

spacejung posted:

We'll keep this in mind, guy who made far fewer moves than everyone else.

Hah, wasn't even thinking about that. Got super lucky at the draft this year between a combination of:
* everyone else valuing defense far lower than me (got like 6 of my top 8 and 8 of my top 12 ranked players for the year)
* very few injuries so far
* getting better option between two late tier2 players that had great upside

I'll defend myself and say I did try to spend $300FAAB and Beer outbid me with his dirty (awesome) money.

I would definitely be on the waiver a lot more if I had more bench spots to play around with.

Also I've been a horrible manager all around this year and need to get more focused.

spacejung posted:

Really I just hope we get the manager count back up again I agree w your general frame of argument regarding bench spots.

Definitely hope we do get it back up. I had a thought earlier about maybe extending the league to Reddit and grow it there a bit like NarFFL. Beer is super well known and myself or others could help manage it.

For bench and starters next year - if people are open to it I can do a bit of math and help figure out how we can move some spots to maximize cheating opportunities. The best part of this league though is that a manager making the right starting picks week to week is going to never need to spend cheating money :)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I was going to work out scenarios in later weeks to see what was possible, but that win piqued my interest and I started doing some basic stuff in Excel and then ended up building some crazy complicated thing to sim it out several ways.

I cut it back to these 2 for posting and then ran them for more simulations:

This is horrible from a statistical point of view given 4 and 8 data points so I'm open to suggestions. I just took everyone's scores for 4/8 week period, got the mean and the standard deviation, and then generated a random number to find a point on a normal curve and apply it to your numbers.

Another big thing this won't catch is the "best" cheating opportunity so many people reflect lower scores than they can achieve. If anyone knows of a way to easily get all of the detailed week to week data without going to every page I can do the algorithm to figure it all out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
$100 prebid

Winston (21.5) for Newton (14.6) = 6.9
Santos (15) for Tucker (9) = 6
Snead (5.1) for Crabtree (3.8) = 1.3
David (10) for Miller (8.5) = 1.5

+15.7 ($157) total for last week

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sataere posted:

Congrats on securing the victory.

Thanks!

Yeah, I forgot time changed in the US and was panicking to get it in before you made a last minute post!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
$100 for 10 points for this week.

Gates (14.3) for Barnage (1.3) for $130 and +13pts
Santos (13) for Tucker (9) for $4 and +4pts

Total last week +27 pts including the 10pt prebid

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Landry (11.3) for Snead (5.3)
Joyner (14) for Posluszny (10.5)

+9.5 for the week

$100 prebid next week

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll start by saying I haven't looked at all on the site so I have no clue what is not isn't possible.

Given your posts in the thread on the subject, it was obvious you were cheating as much as possible.

I would say that if there is a fractional point you have available left to cheat, I would be ok with you doing so.

Likewise, however, I think your opponent can also do a fractional cheat to match.

QBs are fun in that nothing shows up for the extra decimals unless you really dig into it. Maybe something we can adjust next year for them?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

$100 prebid

Winston (21.5) for Newton (14.6) = 6.9
Santos (15) for Tucker (9) = 6
Snead (5.1) for Crabtree (3.8) = 1.3
David (10) for Miller (8.5) = 1.5

+15.7 ($157) total for last week

You seem to have given my opponent these points instead of me!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I don't remember if it was last year or 2 years ago, but I was definitely involved in one where it was "official" time, but before actual kickoff time.

Memory is a bitch - but I seem to recall that it was ok and went through.

Regardless of the decision - it should definitely be determined before first kickoff on Sunday.

My vote is that it's OK - as little as that does and should matter.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
While I'd love to charge for more - given the decrease in participation this year I'd as avoid it. Also it's pretty hard to regulate and manage.

Adding an IR slot and additional bench slots would increase cheating opportunities though and from my post before I think having these would maximise cheating opportunities - and therefore total money in the pool.

I made this post before around what I feel would have allowed the most cheating potential this year:

Aredna posted:

Next year, especially if we keep 10 (or stay under 12) teams, I would recommend we add bench spots to promote cheating. I know they'll all count as benches, but being able to have the following we really help week to week:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
1 LB
1 DL
1 DB
1 DP
1 K

For a total of 11 spots. I'd like to add an IR spot as well. I wouldn't have used it this year in this league, but I'm sure some would have liked it. With the added rule that if you game not moving players and have a player in an IR spot that ends up actually playing they are ineligible for cheating.

Would also argue for making minimum FFAB bid $10 FA since we multiplied everything by 10 to make fractional points easier. In a cheating league requiring a real $1 for a single waiver move is pretty reasonable still.

I love the IDP aspect - but either adding more benches to support it or changing back to team DEF will be the best for week to week cheating, and by extension donation, opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sataere posted:

Let's see how next year goes. But that would have the same function as what I proposed.

Yeah. Removing kickers helps too. At minimum I think we should have 1 bench per type of starter.

Main idea is to have more benches to allow optional cheating.

Given some people are worried about money and we shrunk back to 10 teams it'll be easier to recruit more people if we try to keep the required amount as low as possible.

Making the IR spot cost money to use essentially makes it required unless you get lucky.

• Locked thread