Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

McNally posted:

I'm a terrible, terrible person so if you're allowed to, I say we name every single character Steve

You monster.

Clearly the best name for locke is Nathan Or Drake, that also sounds good.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Key

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Clearly his name is Thief.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nathan

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I am currently gonna play along with the thread...with the iOS port because I hate myself. Interesting thing they changed with the Whelk fight on there. As long as the head is out, you can't target the shell. And if you DO hit the shell, Megavolt is a Single Target attack, not Multi Target. Also the iOS graphics are lovely and this carries over to all current iOS ports of 1&2 and 4-6. This also applies to the PC versions since...:effort: was a big thing with Squeenix.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, I could see them doing that if only because of how much easier it'd be to fat-finger target the shell instead of the head when you're playing with a touch screen.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Leavemywife posted:

There's this weird thing with clocks in FF6 hiding Elixirs and other stuff. The Elixir is a healing item that fully restores HP and MP for a single character.

This is a subtle reference to the real-life attempts to create the Philosopher's Stone, also known as the Elixir Of Life. Most European recipes mandated that the concoction be stored in a clock to absorb the essence of Time.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta name him Fred. Suggesting all the names I (remember) using my first time playing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kemix posted:

I am currently gonna play along with the thread...with the iOS port because I hate myself. Interesting thing they changed with the Whelk fight on there. As long as the head is out, you can't target the shell. And if you DO hit the shell, Megavolt is a Single Target attack, not Multi Target. Also the iOS graphics are lovely and this carries over to all current iOS ports of 1&2 and 4-6. This also applies to the PC versions since...:effort: was a big thing with Squeenix.

I have the Android versions of the FF games, and yeah, it's not a good look. What I don't understand is why FF4 and the AY both got the full 3d treatment, yet the others didn't. Probably could have made some good money off a 3d FFVI.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'll vote for Cole.

And I don't buy that the citizens of the Gestahlian Empire don't know they are the evil side in their war of conquest. They aren't subtle about that part at all.

On the other hand, there is a subtle bit in the writing here. When we hear Biggs and Wedge talk about Terra's achievements, it sounds like she took on an army of mecha-riding soldiers with her innate magic. But when we see it happening, it was her in the mecha fighting ordinary soldiers. Goes to show how the story had grown in the telling.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Our friend should be named Thief

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

DoubleNegative posted:

This too. Though now I'm curious if we're all talking about the same character.

....Huh, I wonder, now that you mention it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My vote isn't getting off the ground so I'm changing my vote to THIEF. Yes, all caps, like what happens in Link's Awakening when you steal something from the shop.

Kemix posted:

:effort: was a big thing with Squeenix.
Heh, "was."

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kemix posted:

To be fair to SE, they didn't actually develop the recent ports of their old library. Instead, they contracted Matrix Software, which then proceeded to muck things up in various ways every time they made a port. For instance, every time the FFV Four Job Fiesta comes up there will be questions about which version to use. And the invariable refrain is that you should avoid the mobile/Steam versions if at all possible, for both the graphics and the mechanical changes that discourage the weird sorts of challenge runs you can pull.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Explosionface posted:

Our friend should be named Thief

Agreed. I'm sure it is a name that he would love and appreciate having.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gnoman posted:

This is a subtle reference to the real-life attempts to create the Philosopher's Stone, also known as the Elixir Of Life. Most European recipes mandated that the concoction be stored in a clock to absorb the essence of Time.

Huh. So who's making Philosopher's Stones, then? I can think of a few candidates.

Also, Nathan works pretty well.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Ah I love this game. Does anyone know how the iOS port is?

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
The shell only has enough MP to Megavolt 6 times. If you can tank enough of them, you can kill it eventually, and get an Ether instead of a Potion as a reward.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ManSedan posted:

Ah I love this game. Does anyone know how the iOS port is?

It made some good mechanical changes (one of which is spoiler territory), but it's ugly as all hell graphics-wise.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I can't say when the next update will be, as they're inducing my wife today.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

whiteyfats posted:

Probably could have made some good money off a 3d FFVI.

Not sure if I should mention this, but I have heard depending on how well the upcoming FFVII remake goes, Squeenix have stated they would express interest in doing 3D remakes for both FFV and FFVI. Naturally, I have mixed feelings about this.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Hope everything goes well, Leave and Leave's wife!

I have never seen anything about FFVI before, so this is all new to me. I am very much looking forward to this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leavemywife posted:

Assume Wife-1
Then Leavemywife + (Wife-1) = Wife
Therefore true for all values of Wife.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Leavemywife posted:

How fortuitous we are voting on names.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How fortuitous we are voting on names.

I'm still holding out hope for Cocke, personally :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

As amusing as it is to have a thief called Locke, let's be more honest and just name him Thief. Default names are boring. The name votes for the Chrono Trigger LP names were dead boring. Let's not do all default names, please.

I have not played this Final Fantasy. I was kinda waiting for Squeenix to give it the same treatment they gave FFIVDS... and yeah. That never happened. Looks like a good excuse to play along!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Silver Falcon posted:

Default names are boring.

Nope. Voting Locke. :colbert:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Silver Falcon posted:

As amusing as it is to have a thief called Locke, let's be more honest and just name him Thief. Default names are boring. The name votes for the Chrono Trigger LP names were dead boring. Let's not do all default names, please.

I have not played this Final Fantasy. I was kinda waiting for Squeenix to give it the same treatment they gave FFIVDS... and yeah. That never happened. Looks like a good excuse to play along!

Yeah, I would have taken FFVI in the style of FFIVDS in a heartbeat. They could've even skipped on voice acting/cutscenes if they wanted to cut out some effort.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why aren't we voting on the name of the baby? :colbert:

:kimchi: Congatulations!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, I would have taken FFVI in the style of FFIVDS in a heartbeat. They could've even skipped on voice acting/cutscenes if they wanted to cut out some effort.

Really surprised they didn't. seems like it would have been some easy money when the 3ds was a thing. Especially if they made it a little bit harder, like they did with FFIV.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

whiteyfats posted:

Really surprised they didn't. seems like it would have been some easy money when the 3ds was a thing. Especially if they made it a little bit harder, like they did with FFIV.

Apparently the main reason was that FFVI isn't nearly as popular in Japan as elsewhere. FFIV has way more traction there, which is why it's been remade about 300 times.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

whiteyfats posted:

Why aren't we voting on the name of the baby? :colbert:

Because Leave knows better than letting us name his kid Dongs. :colbert:

Gratz Leave, hope everything goes right.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Kemix posted:

Because Leave knows better than letting us name his kid Dongs. :colbert:

Bowser then?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Slaan posted:

Bowser then?

Leave, if you don't call your kid a Koopaling, I'm going to disown you. They don't need to be named that way, just nicknamed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Slaan posted:

Bowser then?

A compromise: Bowser Dongs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Explosionface posted:

Leave, if you don't call your kid a Koopaling, I'm going to disown you. They don't need to be named that way, just nicknamed.

Actually, Roy and Wendy would be pretty good actual names.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CPColin posted:

Nope. Voting Locke. :colbert:

It is an honor to lose this battle alongside you.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Good luck Leaves and Leaves' Wife. :3:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I think after this you might just have to change your name to "Leavemykid" or "Leavemywifeandkid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm a dad.

• Locked thread