Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I love soup and am pretty good at making soups.

Cold soups just seem weird though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Cubelodyte posted:

I love soup and am pretty good at making soups.

Cold soups just seem weird though.

Try this one in the summer and Change Your Mind

Makes ~6 cups of soup, which is what most blenders hold

1.5lb peas (frozen OK)
3 cups stock
1/2 onion
2 four inch sprigs tarragon (~0.5tsp dried or 0.5tbsp fresh chopped)
2 whole cloves
1 clove garlic
Cream, salt and pepper to flavor
~3 sprigs mint (~8 leaves each) chiffonaded for garnish

Bring all items except peas, mint and cream to boil and simmer to incorporate flavors, then strain. Add peas and reboil then blend very thoroughly and chill. Flavor with cream and mint and serve.

Consider making a richer stock then adding ice cubes after initial chill to lower time to service. Thai holy basil may be substituted for the slightly anisy tarragon.

Blending is difficult with a hand blender, best to use a countertop model.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I drink beef broth straight out of the can so I guess that somewhat applies

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Soup rules! My girlfriend made me berry soup when I was sick and that also ruled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my mom is on like 8 different restricted diets and she doesn't cook so i end up making a lot of soup for her. she freezes most of it and that way i know she at least has access to something she is allowed to eat. it really made me have to up my soup game. next up is cream of asparagus.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
what a pleasant soup prize :)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ButteCysts posted:

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

King of Bees posted:

Fresh tomato soup is so easy to make. Get some French bread and a grilled cheese. drat

Same but I use ketchup instead of tomato soup. I only do that because ketchup tastes better than tomato soup for dipping grilled cheese.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ButteCysts posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I could sure go for some minestrone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

drunkb posted:

Same but I use ketchup instead of tomato soup. I only do that because ketchup tastes better than tomato soup for dipping grilled cheese.

Tonight, on fat and fourteen

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tonight, on fat and fourteen

I also eat ketchup on eggs, burgs, Mac n cheese, bacon, sausage, hash browns, dogs, fries, and chicken nuggets. Ketchup is a very versatile soup.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to make breakfast soup but I'm all out of milk so I had dry soup for breakfast

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bOiAcYgWihw

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Manhattan clam chowder, while neither a chowder nor my personal favorite soup, is still good. Anyone that hates on it can suck my dick, fuckman.
It's basically a poor man's cioppino and if you can't get down with that I have no time for you.

My great-uncle used to make ducks blood soup for my grandpa and smuggle it to him. That was good poo poo (czarnina if you want the actual name). No one makes this anymore, except I found a grocery store deli out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere WI that does, and it's not bad.

In terms of cold soup, I only really like vichyssoise, which is just cold leek and potato soup, essentially. Unfortunately no one else I know likes it that much so I rarely have it, and just end up eating it hot.

Well those are some of my soup stories. God bless this mess.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

My great-uncle used to make ducks blood soup for my grandpa and smuggle it to him. That was good poo poo (czarnina if you want the actual name). No one makes this anymore, except I found a grocery store deli out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere WI that does, and it's not bad.
this sounds good, where the hell do I go to get duck blood though??

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A duck, I'm guessing.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
anybody who is anybody in soup should have read zorba the greek by now.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The first time I had gazpacho I thought it was salsa. Hahahahha

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Homemade broth for soup is always a better way to go than store bought broths.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Nice timing. I have always wondered what gaspacho tasted like but cold soups just sound like a sad excuse for a sherbert

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ChrisHansen posted:

Nice timing. I have always wondered what gaspacho tasted like but cold soups just sound like a sad excuse for a sherbert

It takes a little brain adjusting but a good cold soup can be amazing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Fire Barrel posted:

Homemade broth for soup is always a better way to go than store bought broths.

I make homemade stock all the time and should be charging 5bux a cup for "bone broth" but I know what real bone broth is :smuggo:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Cold soup? Vichyssoise is alright, but allow me to introduce to you all (unless you already know this) the ultimate "Holy poo poo, It's Fuckin Hot" summer lunch/dinner - Cucumber Soup!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-and-dill - this is a good recipe I've used, since it's a bit more substantial and filling than some of the recipes I've tried. Also, if you happen to have some carrot and ginger soup lying around (which would be a crazy thing to just have sitting around but who knows) they pair up very well.

If you don't have carrot-ginger soup around (you know, because you're a not a loving weirdo) then I'd go with avocado on a nice crusty bread to go with it. You'll be the hero when it's hot and humid out.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Tumble posted:

Cold soup? Vichyssoise is alright, but allow me to introduce to you all (unless you already know this) the ultimate "Holy poo poo, It's Fuckin Hot" summer lunch/dinner - Cucumber Soup!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cold-cucumber-soup-yogurt-and-dill - this is a good recipe I've used, since it's a bit more substantial and filling than some of the recipes I've tried. Also, if you happen to have some carrot and ginger soup lying around (which would be a crazy thing to just have sitting around but who knows) they pair up very well.

If you don't have carrot-ginger soup around (you know, because you're a not a loving weirdo) then I'd go with avocado on a nice crusty bread to go with it. You'll be the hero when it's hot and humid out.

Gonna make this this week. Holy poo poo.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

King of Bees posted:

Gonna make this this week. Holy poo poo.

You can sub mint in place of the dill too, which is crazy refreshing. At that point I'd probably go for an additional garnish of chopped walnuts or pistachios.

Pair that with some bread that's on the sweeter side (ooh and that has cranberries or raisins!) and you're on the way to convincing people you invented "dinnsert".

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

one time i made ham stock :kimchi:

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I love black bean puree soup, maybe I'll make some tonight, since it's hard to find a restaurant that makes it the way I like it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

shadowvine118 posted:

I love black bean puree soup, maybe I'll make some tonight, since it's hard to find a restaurant that makes it the way I like it.

I'm a big bean soup and split pea soup fan.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

I'm a big bean soup and split pea soup fan.

next level poo poo is making them with ham stock

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

psychokitty posted:

next level poo poo is making them with ham stock

Noted I just use ham hocks

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

cant go wrong with a chicken and corn chowder

i'm pretty sure that progresso discontinued their chicken corn chowder, and it burns me up

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

next time you have a holiday ham or w/e boil the bone with some aromatics then voila, ham stock aka liquid ham

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

YeahTubaMike posted:

i'm pretty sure that progresso discontinued their chicken corn chowder, and it burns me up

I'm sorry YeahTubaMike

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Potato leek soup is great cold. I hate borcht because I hate beets.

The best soup I've ever made was lime chicken soup. Chicken, chicken broth, oregano, cumin, lime juice, diced tomatoes, onions, carrots, black beans, jalapenos, corn and rice. Simmer until rice is cooked and flavors have meshed.

Add a mild cheese, stir in until melty. Add your favorite hot sauce.

Add cilantro at the very end. It's loving amazing. Hot, spicy and sour, with the fresh green taste of cilantro, then savory chicken and filing veggies. Ugh it's so good.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

psychokitty posted:

next time you have a holiday ham or w/e boil the bone with some aromatics then voila, ham stock aka liquid ham

Red beans and rice mmmmm. :chef:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was out of tomato soup to cook with tonight, so I combined a can of baked beans and a can of spaghetti sauce, watered them down, added some onions, garlic, celery and potatoes and slow cooked the whole thing for a few hours. The flavor is interesting, not as amazing as doing it with regular tomato soup and adding bacon or chicken broth though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I like to make hot and sour soup. It's easy. Also tom yum or tom ka ga. HSS I make from scratch. Thai soups I use a base because gently caress keeping lemongrass in stock.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

pr0k posted:

I like to make hot and sour soup. It's easy. Also tom yum or tom ka ga. HSS I make from scratch. Thai soups I use a base because gently caress keeping lemongrass in stock.

Whaaat? You put it in a pot on window and then you have fresh lemongrass whenever! Trident makes a pretty kick rear end instant Tom Yum Goong base. That and a tin of tuna is one of my favorite quick/easy snacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pr0k posted:

Write out the hss poo poo boyo

• Locked thread