Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Yup, he's still at it this morning. :smugdon:

Meanwhile: John McCain, as you may have guessed, is not happy about Trump's reaction to the Khans:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/760091926188228608

Didn't McCain endorse Trump though? Or am I mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

iospace posted:

Speaking of Khans:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/760092756668735488

Trump won't let it go though.

Muslim Army? :jihad::freep:

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

iospace posted:

Didn't McCain endorse Trump though? Or am I mistaken?

Yeah, last I remember McCain was all aboard the Trump train. Can't imagine what's going through his head at this very moment; if nothing else, he's a man of principle, and not the kind of person you'd ever expect to back down from a pledge, but between this and the whole "I like people who weren't captured" deal (plus the effects a failed Trump candidacy might have on McCain's re-election, slim though they may be) there's probably a great deal of buyer's remorse.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Someone should tell these people that it's okay to withdraw your endorsement even if and especially if endorsing in the first place was a monumental gently caress-up.

Edit: if someone contacted Reagan with an ouija board (and got the pre-Alzheimer's Reagan) and explained the situation he'd go "The Eleventh Commandment doesn't apply to orange-faced poorly coiffed billionaires who are going to end the party, Jesus Christ."

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 1, 2016

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
One of Trump's guys accused Khizr Khan of being a Muslim Brotherhood double agent.

Why a Pakistani guy who left in the late 70s would be interested in recruiting for an Egyptian organization, I have no idea. Oh right, because Muslims are all a shadowy monolithic group of anti-American terrorists.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Yeah, last I remember McCain was all aboard the Trump train. Can't imagine what's going through his head at this very moment; if nothing else, he's a man of principle, and not the kind of person you'd ever expect to back down from a pledge, but between this and the whole "I like people who weren't captured" deal (plus the effects a failed Trump candidacy might have on McCain's re-election, slim though they may be) there's probably a great deal of buyer's remorse.

I'm sure a lot of people are, but none of them refuse to retract their endorsements.

As I said in the Trump thread, it feels the only member of the GOP who comes out ahead here is going to be Kasich. He didn't endorse and he's leaving a trail of evidence that he was against Trump from the get go. Barring a magical win from Trump, Kasich wins in the long run.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Random question - remember that ad Trump made where he's tallying up the amount of applause he received at the convention? Is it just me, or did he steal the background music from some major flash game? I could have sworn I've heard it before.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Interesting for Fox to say, considering they ran a Benghazi ad over his speech

Did nobody cover Vilemom? I know she was like the first one in the dead zone that most networks don't cover because lol @ making Tig and XYZ the first thing your viewers see and immediately change the channel

Both Pat Smith and Khizar Khan were in the non-Primetime hours that usually don't have a big impact. In terms of why Khan got more press than Smith, part of it is that "Hillary murdered people at Benghazi" is already fairly played out as a story, and maybe part of it was Khan being more compelling than Smith (I didn't watch the RNC, so IDK). But the biggest reason Khan's in the news and Smith isn't is because Donald Trump is a moron.

The correct thing to do when you get hit by something like Khizar Khan's speech is to take the hit and go talk about something else. Maybe there's an edge case where you can try to deflect the attack ("I'm sorry your son died and I honor your sacrifice, but Hillary Clinton's Iraq vote was what put him in harm's way"), but most of the time you just accept that you've lost the news cycles of the DNC and focus on making a splash over the weekend or on Monday to re-take the momentum or news cycle. Stuff outside of primetime isn't really seen by most voters, since it's only on the cable news networks and CSPAN, instead of on the broadcast networks.

Instead, Trump launched a head-on attack against a Gold Star family and the religion of Islam. Then the Khans smacked him down. So the whole thing stays in the news for another couple days, and EVERYONE hears about it. Not only does Trump look like a monster attacking a Gold Star family, he's giving folks a reason to go watch the original video.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Trump is making the same mistake that Romney made in 2012 when he engaged in a protracted slapfight with Harry Reid. He's not running against Khan; he should be attacking Hilary directly.

Not that any of it matters, of course.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Meanwhile: John McCain, as you may have guessed, is not happy about Trump's reaction to the Khans:

None of this means anything unless you are willing to withdraw your endorsement of the candidate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Speaking of Khans:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/760092756668735488

Trump won't let it go though.
Great...Trump will interpret that as him winning since that's what children do.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Quick someone photoshop him into a pokemon "ash" hat. I knew he was a barely closeted pokemon fan.

...you know he actually quoted the Pokemon movie in a speech, right?

Cain's run was surreal

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

None of this means anything unless you are willing to withdraw your endorsement of the candidate.

I'm not sure that means anything either. If you're still doing a coordinated campaign with the Republican Party, you're sending out canvassers saying "vote Trump/McCain", and you're going to have sample ballots which have both of them on it. Plus it's not like your opponent is going to let it go.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Great...Trump will interpret that as him winning since that's what children do.

Hopefully he tries to gloat somehow and gets punched.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theflyingorc posted:

...you know he actually quoted the Pokemon movie in a speech, right?

Cain's run was surreal
That and Samantha Bee's show apparently bought his tour bus

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Looking at the Trump/Khan fight I have to think to myself that so far it's been amazingly effective. The DNC was last week and it's Monday. We're still talking about it. That's amazing for how the news is currently cycled.

The cynic in me knows that the Khans are the perfect foil for Trump. Gold star parents, Muslim, parents of a fallen soldier. Trump doesn't respect Muslims or the military, the second of which should be easy for a republican candidate. Easy. In fact the best way to defuse the situation for Trump is to simply ignore it and gin up new controversy by saying something outlandish and stupid. American attention would shift away from the couple in a heartbeat. However Trump's ego and his inability to regulate himself means that he's going to tilt at this particular windmill over and over again.

If the Khans want to step away from the controversy and he won't let them that's even worse. He'll just be seen punching down over and over again and made out to be a bully. I would say that this normally wouldn't have the power to undo Trump, but if he won't let it go and he makes a point of trying to win an unwinnable argument he's going to irreparably damage his reputation with republicans in a way that is obvious. The Khans never had the ability to take down Trump, but Trump's treatment of the Khans is doing serious damage to his image.

If I were the democrats I'd be finding more people like this. Trump seems eager for the controversy and is easily baited. He'll take a poke at anything or anyone who offends him no matter how dumb it is. He'll charge stupidly at anything that gets his attention.

The normal person in me is sad for the Khans that they're getting used like this. I hope they turn out okay.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
If anyone cares, 538 no longer shows a narrow lead for Trump in any of their polls, and in Polls Plus and Now he's showing >60% for Hillary.

Another good poll or two for Clinton and she should be back in the 70% range. Which would make me feel a lot better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So does the NY Post and other Murdoch properties hate Trump now that Ailes is gone?

This is pretty distasteful heh.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

If anyone cares, 538 no longer shows a narrow lead for Trump in any of their polls, and in Polls Plus and Now he's showing >60% for Hillary.

Another good poll or two for Clinton and she should be back in the 70% range. Which would make me feel a lot better.

I just hope people Pokemon Go to the polls.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

They know enough to know what Trump is saying and doing is wrong, and yet they are still supporting him.

Why? Because we are never compelled by our ideals like we are by our loves. And when you look at Donald Trump through the shared loves of the evangelical Culture, he starts to make perfect sense.

Evangelicals don’t believe in Donald Trump as much as they love Donald Trump and all that Donald Trump represents. Watch these rallies and you will quickly see they have nothing to do with inspiring ideas and hopeful policies; they’re worship services. And standing on the stage before the great throng of longing souls is the manifestation of their common love feeding their hungry hearts with his nonsense.

Holy poo poo

These are great until you read the comments and realize that they're all variations on "you're not a true Catholic if you vote for any party that supports abortion" or "no see Trump is totally not racist because..."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It's still a bounce, so things are going to normalize again over the next few weeks. But if Hillary can maintain positive visibility while Trump keeps screaming at war widows and declaring war on Constantinople, the gap should hold.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MonkeyOnFire posted:

If I remember correctly McCain has never actually endorsed Trump. McCain said the party must follow the will of the people and defended trump back in May.
Here is an article about that from back in May: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/08/politics/john-mccain-donald-trump/

Lots of funny when compared to today. Remember Donald said McCain wasn't a war hero.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Trump keeps screaming at war widows and declaring war on Constantinople
This won't stick, everyone call tell it's just Istanbull.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

This won't stick, everyone call tell it's just Istanbull.

That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Muslim Army? :jihad::freep:

Jesus loving Christ, Associated Press.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Phisherman posted:

If I were the democrats I'd be finding more people like [the Khans]. Trump seems eager for the controversy and is easily baited. He'll take a poke at anything or anyone who offends him no matter how dumb it is. He'll charge stupidly at anything that gets his attention.

Yeah it's probably not going to be any one single thing that will sink Trump's campaign, but rather a series of different examples of American exceptionalism and multi-culturalism, deliberately baited or otherwise, that Trump will be unable to resist saying something horrible about, one news cycle at a time, all the way to November.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

mcmagic posted:

So does the NY Post and other Murdoch properties hate Trump now that Ailes is gone?

This is pretty distasteful heh.

Aviles never had anything to do with the Post. It's a straight scandal rag, and while it leans right, never passes up an opportunity for a scintillating front page.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

They know enough to know what Trump is saying and doing is wrong, and yet they are still supporting him.

Why? Because we are never compelled by our ideals like we are by our loves. And when you look at Donald Trump through the shared loves of the evangelical Culture, he starts to make perfect sense.

Evangelicals don’t believe in Donald Trump as much as they love Donald Trump and all that Donald Trump represents. Watch these rallies and you will quickly see they have nothing to do with inspiring ideas and hopeful policies; they’re worship services. And standing on the stage before the great throng of longing souls is the manifestation of their common love feeding their hungry hearts with his nonsense.

Holy poo poo

I want to know just what it would take for them to realize Trump is not "the lesser of two evils" or realize that "worship sessions" for a man who is the embodiment of multiple classical Deadly Sins might not be a good thing. Is hating gay people, Muslims, or immigrants the only "morality" they think matters?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Post got into a bit of a sticky wicket a couple years ago when one of its photographers stood by and snapped photos of someone about to get struck by a passing subway train. It doesn't really "do" ethics.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

It's still a bounce, so things are going to normalize again over the next few weeks. But if Hillary can maintain positive visibility while Trump keeps screaming at war widows and declaring war on Constantinople, the gap should hold.

It is a bounce, but it's a surprisingly large one since it should, in theory, have been limited by the opposition's bounce. I think she'll keep a few points of it for a while.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theflyingorc posted:

It is a bounce, but it's a surprisingly large one since it should, in theory, have been limited by the opposition's bounce. I think she'll keep a few points of it for a while.

The bigger part is the jump in her favorability. If that sticks around, it means that people are coming around on her.

Plus, I think her bounce might be more durable since some of it came from the convention managing to win over holdouts from the primary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I can't wait for Drumpf's measured and conciliatory response to McCain.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

I want to know just what it would take for them to realize Trump is not "the lesser of two evils" or realize that "worship sessions" for a man who is the embodiment of multiple classical Deadly Sins might not be a good thing. Is hating gay people, Muslims, or immigrants the only "morality" they think matters?
For these people, their religion functions more like an ethnic identity than it does an actual moral framework.

"Christian" is who they are as a personal identity, not really a system they follow. While technically they could leave their religion, being Christian is, to them, more like the cultural identity of being American or Southern or Blue Collar. So the rules aren't actually important, it's more about declaring yourself as part of a group and certain other groups as being "other".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah. It'll come back but is likely to still have a sustained gap at this rate.

OTOH, lol. Nothing. Matters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingorc posted:

For these people, their religion functions more like an ethnic identity than it does an actual moral framework.

"Christian" is who they are as a personal identity, not really a system they follow. While technically they could leave their religion, being Christian is, to them, more like the cultural identity of being American or Southern or Blue Collar. So the rules aren't actually important, it's more about declaring yourself as part of a group and certain other groups as being "other".

Yeah, that's how most religious people operate.

Increasingly that's how atheists are defining themselves too.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I just hope that the Khans have access to... I dunno, a counselor, psychologist, someone to help them screen calls?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

I really want to see someone in the media convince Trump that Putin is fending off terrorists from Czechoslovakia.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yeah, that's how most religious people operate.

Increasingly that's how atheists are defining themselves too.

There is no equivocation possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iospace posted:

As I said in the Trump thread, it feels the only member of the GOP who comes out ahead here is going to be Kasich. He didn't endorse and he's leaving a trail of evidence that he was against Trump from the get go. Barring a magical win from Trump, Kasich wins in the long run.

Cruz, too. He's pretty clearly angling for a 2020 run. Possibly Kasich, too, his gimmick in the primary this election was being the Sane Dude, which depending on how this election and the response thereto goes might be much more appealing to the GOP base in four years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Cruz, too. He's pretty clearly angling for a 2020 run. Possibly Kasich, too, his gimmick in the primary this election was being the Sane Dude, which depending on how this election and the response thereto goes might be much more appealing to the GOP base in four years.

I think Kaisch's long play is going to work out better for him than Cruz's backstab. Because if Trump loses, people will point to Cruz as being a part of it, while Kaisch has made his lack of support clear without doing a grand-standing and public snub. Kaisch will come off more as 'I told you so' than 'It's your fault'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeJackal posted:

There is no equivocation possible.

Atheism is increasingly defined in terms of being a white liberal, with all the baggage associated with that.

• Locked thread