Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Random question - remember that ad Trump made where he's tallying up the amount of applause he received at the convention? Is it just me, or did he steal the background music from some major flash game? I could have sworn I've heard it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

That's why it's expressed as a percentage.

EDIT:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering his forecast jumped literally 30+ pts in a week there is definitely room for some skepticism

Then again, his model may not even be designed to handle a fluctuation as big as the Trumpening

One model did this, the others were much less drastic.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SouthLoneStar/status/762355369855311873

Whoa this looks legit to me. Can't believe the Black Panthers have come forward in time 40 years to spray paint that on white peoples churches.

I'm so glad he was able to fit his muscle car into the picture.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Huh weird, there's nothing on his website about tax policy.

EDIT: Back to cars again. Sorry Donald, I love my BRZ.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Has there ever been a sound argument explaining why globalism is... frightening?
Honest question.

It's a placeholder for dwindling middle class jobs in the same way that GMOs are a placeholder for the excesses of "big agriculture".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Ah, people from other places are bad, OP

It is bad when it used to be your job.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Is there any use in calling my idiot senator Toomey's office and asking if he's willing to denounce Trump yet? Beyond my own amusement that is.

Well, the amusement of this thread should count for something. :D

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What the gently caress is this poo poo, NPR?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

D&d has a weird hate boner for NPR I will never understand

I certainly don't hate NPR but the weasely bullshit that Taerkar and sean10mm point to is bullshit.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Leftist Circular Firing Squad Comes for NPR is real tedious.

This is just lazy dude.

EDIT:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am willing to go along with this. Marketplace is loving awful.

Yeah, I hated it when they spent a whole week criticizing the concept to shareholder value too.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not sure what you're even after here.

What exactly did you mean by "circular firing squad"?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The other problem with October surprises is the fact that many states allow early voting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Arzy was a poster who would regularly experience huge meltdowns throughout the election cycle over what was often inconsequential poo poo, it basically means over-speculating or over-panicking in an election thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

He also worked in the finance industry but couldn't interpret a chart showing quartiles.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

citybeatnik posted:

The Vatican also came up with a theological argument for why assassinating Hitler would be less sinful than the murder itself, and was taking steps to carry it out before it all went tits-up when WW2 started. Don't gently caress with Jesuits.

Do you have a link or search term I can use to look at this? I've never heard of it before.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I'm extremely grateful we don't have a parliament

Prime Minister's Questions or whatever the gently caress it's called would be awesome though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, it also means an almost nonexistent chance of a fistfight breaking out

No system is perfect but at least ours doesn't just hand out legitimacy to fledgling Nazi parties because a couple thousand people in Bovine Bugggery, MS are big fans of genocide

Fair point.

EDIT: wasn't there a time when Obama visited some house republican thing and took questions?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I didn't see it here, but John McLaughlin has died.

Edit: nm, looks like I needed to go back a few more pages.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Raising wages boosts the economy as a whole, but it is a prisoner's dilemma situation.

If everyone raises wages, then everyone (on average) benefits.
If everyone except you raises wages, you benefit significantly at the expense of others.
If only you raise wages, then everyone else benefits at the expense of your business.

The Nash equilibrium of the prisoner's dilemma over several rounds is to cooperate with the other prisoner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CelestialScribe posted:

It's also worth pointing out that there are heaps of undecided voters. On the latest 538 podcast they talk about how they could swing the election either way.

It is not over, not by a long shot.

Bullshit, my bed wetting friend.

• Locked thread