Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

trump not knowing that russia annexed crimea is seriously mindblowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

A bunch of apolitical, traditional "vote reds" that I know are changing from Trump to Hillary because he's a vile human being.

There are most definitely a significant group of people that do not have their minds made up because both the candidates are disliked.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Reminder that Nehlen (guy running against Ryan) is basically a Trump lapdog

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Including copying Trump's strategy of branding his political opponents

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

John McCain is an actual American hero and just about the only guy in the GOP that I respect irrespective of his policies. the fact that he has to deal with this rear end in a top hat trying to knock him down a peg or whatever is a loving disaster. Our country is in a poisonous place.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't John McCain the guy who only got anywhere because of nepotism and who actively caused the deaths of dozens of servicemen on the Forrestal and got away with it because nepotism?
lol no he narrowly avoided death on the forrestal by jumping into a loving puddle of jet fuel and getting shot off then internet people made up some lie that is was all his fault

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

It isn't. The Forrestal fire was caused by a short in the firing circuit of a Zuni rocket (not on McCain's plane). McCain was in the cockpit of his plane, which was near/in the flames. He managed to get out on the refueling probe and jump off, whereupon he went down to the squadron ready room and hung out, rather than assist in the damage control efforts. Certainly didn't cover himself in glory, but he wasn't culpable for the fire and loss of life.
?

This is McCain's own account of what happened afterwards:

quote:

McCain, 1967 statement: I started running over towards him and I was near a group of men with a fire hose. As I was about 10 feet from him the first bomb exploded and blew me back about 15 feet. I sat up and saw a lot of bodies near me (some who had been on the hose) and I ran and jumped over the starboard cat walk [under the flight deck].

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

For most damage control, yes. When there's an existential threat to the ship, though, you're expected to pitch in wherever possible. The Forrestal had most of its flight deck firefighters killed or incapacitated by the bomb explosions. A few other pilots jumped in and either took command of teams or aided firefighting/DC teams to control the fire. McCain helped a few crew toss bombs overboard, and then went to the ready room (note that he wasn't the only pilot to do so, it's not like he sat there all by his lonesome watching the fire on the monitors). The Forrestal fire was a legitimate threat to the seaworthiness of the ship. Between the explosives cooking off and the potential for blast holes in the flight deck to access the hangar deck (with more aircraft and fuel), it was essential to get the fire under control, or lose the ship. I'm not faulting McCain for his actions (and yeah, my initial post was too harsh in tone...I'm a former sailor, and damage control was drilled into me pretty heavily), mostly saying that he followed basic protocol, but certainly could have gone above and beyond in the face of what was happening.
other people got on the hose because they could react to the incident. McCain's plane (or the plane next to his, it's contested) was hit by the loving Zuni so McCain had to get out of the cockpit, into the heart of the fire, and then was blown up by a loving bomb 90 seconds after the start of the fire.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The GOP are dumb and stubborn, but they should have confirmed Garland when Obama nominated him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They still can. Garland's just twisting in the wind right now. At any point they can continue the vetting/nomination process.
It would be political suicide at this point/admitting defeat in all contests

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

In the first case Lafarge, which is a French cement company, donated 50-100k to the Clinton Foundation at some point in its existence. Hillary used to be director of the board of the company in the 90s.

Between 2011 and 2013 this company paid bribe money to IS to continue running a cement factory in Syria. Apparently paying money to not have all your employees murdered and the plant abandoned (which eventually happened) constitutes "having ties to IS".

It's the stupidest loving controversy. The Clinton Cash truther people are unreal. The Clintons have enough immoral positions that you don't need to make up an extensive network of terrorist and corruption funding to attack them.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 3, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

By these idiots logic doesn't the media being in for Hillary mean that she's better at making deals than Trump?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

they have a hypnotic zombie woman that reads their news

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I wonder if the Morning Joe nukes thing is legit and why Scarborough has been sitting on that information so long if true. That's like, beyond the pale.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

And beyond politics

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a lot more money and better hours in manipulating the news than reporting it. It's one big reason that news services like CNN are so bad at their jobs. Combine that with lots of pressure to be "unbiased" and America's inability to understand what that means and it's clear why the media handled Trump so badly.
Lewandowski and Don Lemon doing a back to back DJ set on CNN for the rest of the election promises to be fruitful

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Buzzfeed: Trump stance on nukes proves he is most 80s candidate

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

maybe nuclear winter is Trump's global warming plan

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I actually sort of recognize the point "why are we making them if we're not going to use them" although the definitely help with power projection etc... but then coming off the top rope with "so why can't we use them" is just 👌👏🏼

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

yeah but it sounds cool, so

E: re: nuclear winter

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

We are indeed living in the "post-factual" world. Facts don't matter, just whether you "feel" something to be true.
maybe outside the no spin zone

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I love that Mike Pence is basically running the Scott Walker for president campaign under the Trump brand.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

fwiw the ivanka trump thing is about her getting cat called (which is sexual harassment, but not what the Trump bros probably think of when they think of sexual harrassment/akin to what Ailes did) and she doesn't call it getting sexually harrassed in the book period, so that article is a bit disingenuous.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Manafort pivot to law and order in general was terrible from a strategy perspective and, even if Trump was moderately respectful, I think he still would fail with that as the central tenet of his candidacy. The law and order idea does a lot to rile the republican base, but the issue is that it raises his lack of credentials as an executor of that philsophy. He does nothing to project calm or the traditional strongman "im going to handle this". The reality is that, outside of the people that are begging to be ruled by the idea of white man politically as well as religiously (which is 30% of the country), people are scared of the lengths that Trump would go to to maintain law and order and he's not seen as a reliable caretaker of the country. You can't run someone with all-time candidacy unfavorables and an association with instability and fascism as a law and order candidate for the American people. It doesn't work for the branch of the Republican coalition they need (white, educated) to form a winning one.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

e: er sorry, column 1 is favorable, 2 is unfavorable, 3 is spread if you're unfamiliar with RCP's tables.

imagine if Trump manages to win with these unfavorables 90 days out...lmao

Many of those polled were from before the height of the Khan thing too. Probably only going to get worse in the near future.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

they're talking about abusing a travel visa to work in another country, which is illegal immigration, but they never called it illegal immigration, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about a penis being nonconsensually thrust into another persons body, which is rape, but they never called it rape, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about getting stabbed repeatedly, which is murder, but they never called it murder, so that article is a bit disingenuous
the difference between catcalling and the sexual abuse of ailes is not semantic

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

loving Newt talking in double negatives and passive voice

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

tell us more about how catcalling isn't 'real' sexual harassment.

quote:

fwiw the ivanka trump thing is about her getting cat called (which is sexual harassment, but not what the Trump bros probably think of when they think of sexual harrassment/akin to what Ailes did)

My words. Quit trying to start poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this footage of trump rallies is fairly terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...WT.nav=top-news

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the Nehlen guy is on MSNBC right now yelling at the anchor

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Trump and his team have no understanding of the difference between this campaign and and his primary campaign. He can't win this race with the people at his rallies, but he spends so much loving time appealing to them and trying to be cute that he loses message or says something that's offensive (whether or not it's sarcastic) and that's the news cycle made for the day. He has no ability to just deliver a normal loving speech, which is what is absolutely required for 100 days of campaigning against one person.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Reason posted:

Does Hillary have momentum? Her polls gut a bump after the convention, but they seem to be going down again.
are you talking about her favorables? because the important thing is that the spread between her and trump stays consistent. It's a "least bad" election.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

seiferguy posted:

There was article I saw that read "Hillary's post-DNC bump might actually stick around. Here's why." on my Google news feed. I dismissed it outright, but maybe there's some truth to it now.
it was from nate silver and he got a ton of hate for it, but it looks like he's probably going to be right.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Trump pretty much has to do the debates if he's still down a considerable amount to do the political equivalent of a hail mary. If not, Clinton can just coast into the general without saying anything.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is tight

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

manufacturing jobs have given way to service economy jobs in most wealthy countries. It's not something to be mourned. The question is whether or not we can replace those jobs with comparable or higher earning jobs. The answer for most people is YES. Those that have been harmed by the cycle are rightfully mad, but it doesn't have anything to do with free trade, it has to do with the job creation, small business, and retraining climate within the country (which is solid right now, but behind other postindustrial countries imo)

Taerkar posted:

I would append to this that manufacturing jobs are going away. The US still manufactures a lot of stuff.

you're totally right. germany has lost half its manufacturing jobs since 1971, but is still one of the world's powerhouses.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 4, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

I can't think of a single national policy example explicitly targeted towards workers who lost their jobs because of trade agreements. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, because I don't believe any exists.

If there were domestic worker retraining programs tied to the TPP's implementation, or extended unemployment benefits for workers who lose their jobs due to outsourcing as a result, it would make the TPP more palatable to me, but only barely.
literally from this year (although it's because of an environmental agreement)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/de...-power-plan.pdf

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

of course they don't exist, because our politics is dominated by classist assholes. but I think that if you're going to choose a revolutionary goal to oppose those assholes, it makes more sense to say "impiment these programs and a better social safety net" than "maximum protectionism". because those are both equally long shots and the first makes much more economic sense. advocating hardcore protectionism only makes sense if it's more politically realistic than a social safty net (which i don't think is the case).

Also, TPP in particular is bad for reasons that have nothing to do with free trade v. protectionism because of the insane ways it empowers corporations to stop reasonable regulation
Yeah this isn't true. Two examples have already been posted on this page. There is grey area between oligarchic conspiracy and plebiscite politics

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I've never been persuaded by the argument that it's better to keep American jobs than it is to give Mexicans jobs.

Yes, the jobs they get are lower paid and have less worker rights than American equivalents, but the improvement of the Mexican worker's life against the harm to the American worker's life seems, to me, to overwhelmingly cause a net good.

(there are of course exceptions if the company is being radically unethical)
it also is a scenario in which the concept of trickle down economics may actually be valuable because of diminishing returns to quality of life after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the liberal something awful media never gave trump a chance

• Locked thread