Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

unnoticed posted:

You guys need to meet more Trump supporters. I have a FB friend who's been posting all the conspiracy articles about how Mr. Khan was selling visas to people or was in bed with the Saudis and is tied in with Clinton Cash somehow. There is definitely a group of people who are not turned off at all by Trump attacking the Khan family.

Isn't that specifically some general legal aid site for immigrants he probably deleted because why the gently caress would you want to be active online at all when people are coming after you like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Yes it was really terrible when Hillary Clinton spent a week trashing Vilerat's Mom on TV and Twitter.

But if they point out how this (obviously not happening) is the reason why her speech vanished from the public mind so quickly, why, that wouldn't be objective now would it?!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

So I haven't paid that much attention to cable news coverage of the election recently. What's the media reaction been to Trump's new "on-message" style, like his Detroit speech? Is it the big turning point for Trump, or are people finally remembering that he's Donald Trump?

The child-care tax credit seems to be a boon for him (if CNN was anything to go by this morning), even if the rest is just the standard proposals of the GOP.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 9, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

The only poll I can think of is the Bloomberg poll that has her up 6 points (which leans D), which would be "low" for her in that poll.

NYTimes has her up a percentage point from last night, 270-to-Win doesn't show her performance in any battleground state decreasing yet (including GA and AZ), and RCP has her up .1 from last night.

Not sure about 538's methodology here.

So, any way, back to it: :derp::derp::derp::derp:.

I'm just curious here, but when was the last Bloomberg poll, and what were it's results?

Of course, I don't know if this one really reflects the post "2nd Amendment" comments of Trump.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Trump supporters turning into pedophile apologists in Sopan Debs mentions. Nice.

That and spamming pictures of Mateen's father. I'm not sure this'll work.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

How do you as a politician respond to Trump's "Obama and Hillary founded ISIS, repeat x3" in any way besides "these are the ramblings of a crazy person and we hope Donald gets professional help soon"? I know there isn't anyone on the R side with principles, so how are they trying to spin it instead?

Forget about who was president from 01 to 09.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I just heard NPR talk about his economic speech seriously this morning. :wtc:

Luckily Trump has shown no sign of being able to sustain even that level of "sanity" for any amount of time.

During the speech he managed to sound like a typical Republican. 'Cut taxes, slash regulations,' the things we're all so used to hearing they're part of accepted political discourse.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

greatn posted:

Let me guess, one of the keystones of his strategy is to say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"

Kill their families, destroy their homes, open up the ol' Rules of Engagement, etc.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

So are you all ready for a (possible) Clinton Foundation probe? It's the Daily Caller so take it with a grain of salt, since its Fox News 2.0:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/11/exclusive-joint-fbi-us-attorney-probe-of-clinton-foundation-is-underway/

I honestly don't think they are going to find anything, despite having a strong prosecutor lead the investigation. I mean the state department did say nothing unethical was found.

I saw CNN reporting that, supposedly, the FBI and DOJ had talked about the Clinton Foundation. What they talked about I don't know, as I had to leave for work before CNN got to that report.

It'll probably amount to nothing in the long-term.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

There should be consequences for this sort of thing. There aren't, but there should be.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I'm sure Trump's response to all this will be tasteful, subdued and humane.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Two House committees demanding that the DOJ indict and convict Hillary on perjury for a 2015 congressional hearing.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/house-panels-lay-out-case-for-clinton-perjury-accusations

Time until Trump mentions this in his stump speeches...?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

Trump has his next big attack against Crooked Hillary lined up:
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/765367721680900096

I'm imagining Manafort sweating and pulling at his collar a lot while this was being discussed.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

So what is up with this Wikileaks poo poo? I saw earlier today that Github took down one of their documents but I'm not sure why or what it even was. Also they are petitioning the DOJ to reassess not indicting Clinton for something Assange said on TV.

Assange's arguing there's a double-standard because Wikileaks is still being investigated after six years while they closed the investigation into Clinton after one.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Even completely separate from anything related to Trump, it would really be wonderful if this finally lead to the death of the idea of Giuliani as some kind of hero.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know who really cares about the gays? That's right!

Jesus Christ, Milo is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Has anyone even attempted to confront him directly about how virulently antigay the current GOP platform is? I know he'd just bullshit his way past it, but it'd be interesting if anyone tried.

And that anyone thinks this test would actually protect LGBTQ people in any way is a joke.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 16, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

This should make for a good week or two of meltdowns.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kilroy posted:

That's down by one from their previous poll though :derp:

I am curious as to how this "ideology test" thing is going to play out in the media and with the public, as Trump apparently managed to not poo poo himself during the speech.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

It'll be fun watching this be brought up whenever Trump tries to hit Clinton on anything related to women.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Saw a report on the TV today in passing about House Republicans claiming Hillary perjured herself in a few different ways regarding the whole email thing (one server vs multiple, individually read/reviewed emails by investigators vs not, etc). Is the outright claim of perjury anything new or likely to affect her career or election chances in any way?

Just from your description it sounds like them splitting hairs to try and gin up controversy.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Boon posted:

It's mostly past, but he was talking to the black community as if he was addressing a crowd of suburban white people (which he is) and discussing how the Democrats expect their vote for no return on policy (which is an actual sentiment that I've heard espoused).

I can't wait for this to be treated as if it's a "serious speech."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

farraday posted:

This entire interview is amazing btw. Michael Cohen is now claiming Donald Trump doesn't see color.

So that's the Breitbart Management Team strategy: Pretend the past year and a half never actually happened.

What exactly is making them think they can get people to forget everything Trump and the GOP (their platform, their cowtowing to him) have done since this election season started?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/766058497108762624

https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/766058592000733192

please, please god tell me republicans were dumb enough to leak classified fbi interview notes to try and score political points

Even if they have (and they have), no one will bother going after them. The media needs a horse race, and this is the perfect chance to make it seem like there is one.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
And as part of an event that is in no way just a photo-op, Donald Trump and Mike Pence will be touring portions of Louisiana hit by flooding:

quote:

Donald Trump is visiting Louisiana on Friday for a flood damage trip that is currently shrouded in secrecy.

Trump and running mate Mike Pence are headed to Baton Rouge, but the campaign has said little about what they will do there.

Because of the trip, Trump is delaying a previously scheduled rally in Dimondale, Mich., to 5 p.m. ET.

The office of Gov. John Bel Edwards — a Democrat — said Trump's people did not contact the governor's office about the visit, and expressed the hope that it would not be just a "photo-op."

"Instead, we hope he'll consider volunteering or making a sizable donation to the LA Flood Relief Fund to help the victims of this storm," the governor's office said in a statement.

Trump supporters, meanwhile, contrasted the visit with the fact that President Obama has not traveled to the area.

"It is good Trump and Pence are going to Louisiana to help fellow Americans who are in pain," tweeted former House speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga. "Sad that Obama can't leave vacation for one day."

This might be one of the most transparent things he's ever done in terms of "hey, this evil president doesn't care about you, but I do!"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

First book plug I've ever seen in an official campaign statement.

I'm convinced that this is what the media will run with, even with a photo of Cheeto Jesus donating Play-Doh; I just honestly see fears of BIAS!!!! winning out over calling this bullshit photo-op what it is.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 19, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bush with the guitar was way better.

They really want revenge for how people gave Bush poo poo over that entire Katrina response.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Well, scrambling for cover in the face of Trump-U and his other legal problems isn't exactly unexpected.

I am honestly wondering how things like this are playing out with the public.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Brony Car posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/us/politics/hillary-clintons-new-emails-release-state-department.html

These e-mails are never going to go away and now it's turning into a "Clinton Foundation is crooked and she's crooked" narrative.

Why couldn't she just stop using that stupid Blackberry?

I apologize if I'm illiterate and missed this, but were these reviewed prior to the determination not to indict?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Protestors now chanting "Mexicans rock".

I guess it was a different speech, but I heard on the way home he ended one today with the usual "we're gonna build the wall, and Mexico's gonna pay for it," so that is surprising.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mentioning the increase in hate crimes against minority populations post-Brexit would be a plus for that crowd.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

He does seem to be bringing in people who don't normally vote at all. Voter registration in swing states so far this year is more Republican than normal.

I guess that's where the Silent Majority is supposed to come from.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

iospace posted:

I've had angry old white men at my work (all of which are either happily voting for trump, holding their noses and doing so, or not but voting R downballot) bash the Milwaukee transit system, including the new light rail system they want to put in downtown, as "worthless" because in their own words, "I never see anyone use it!"

Yes, because no one in the lily white southwest suburbs of Milwaukee County using the buses means /no one else/ uses it. To say nothing that the local park and ride usually is pretty full, but not capacity regularly (and is completely full during Summerfest and State Fair).

I heard the exact same poo poo from someone at the gym about not including room for future light-rail extensions on the new 520 floating bridge across Lake Washington. This was in Bellevue, of course.

Even if these people actually do drive all over the drat place, I still can't understand how they can possibly tolerate the bad traffic the lack of transit options lets continue; I mean, gently caress I-405 in rush hour, have they never driven it?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

CNN is pushing the pivot hard.

Gotta maintain that neutrality.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Got my first Trump add here on SA.

Insert 'Trump wastes money' joke here.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Grouchio posted:

And now the racist tirades of my lovely lovely governor are on the front headlines on the BBC. I feel ashamed to be a Mainer.

Lemme know if that's already been discussed.

I'm just amazed he didn't get impeached after that interference in a political opponent getting a job at that charter school.

As an aside, he always seemed like the kind of guy who, if Stephen King used him as a villain, he'd be seen as too much of a cartoon for people to accept him as a character.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

With the alt-right getting louder and angrier thanks to Clinton's last speech, and Trump sputtering over immigration as he tries to run and hide from them, it'll be interesting to see how things shift.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Well, if we're proposing new national anthems, what about Battle Cry of Freedom?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

Isn't that about South Africa?

This version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOOobxVGR4

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/770274286552682496

By the way it's the "Bored Media's Trump Comeback Narrative" month.

Did Clinton name him her campaign manager when no one was looking?

In all seriousness, what is his role with her campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Watch the Right spin this as bad for Hillary because she stayed married to Bill.

• Locked thread