Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Doccers posted:

I was still of the "This was a publicity stunt that went waaaay too far and now he has no idea what to do" camp.

A former aide said she was hired to get Trump 10% of the primary vote. "It was a protest campaign".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Randy Shilts had a lot of good reporting on this. In the 80's Wall Street was full of closeted gay men who voted Republican because they prioritized being rich over being open about their sexuality. As long as they could hit a club on the weekend and keep everything hush hush they genuinely prioritized economics over human rights for themselves.

There wasn't much support for gay rights in the 80s anyways. It was legal to openly discriminated against gays in every state. Yeah the DNC added it to their platform in 1980, but there wasn't enough support to make progress. Effectively there was no difference between these parties so it made a lot more sense to vote based on other issues. Especially if those other issues are increasing your wealth (and privilege)

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

emdash posted:

Univision saying trump will announce a legalization process for some undocumented immigrants in the US

http://www.univision.com/univision-news/politics/trump-to-introduce-reforms-to-legalize-some-undocumented-immigrants

Even if it's true there's it will probably be way off the mark just like everything else Trump does as outreach. My guess would be either a requirement people leave the country first, a prohibitive fine/fee, or otherwise extremely limited eligibility.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Trump has said many times he'll release his tax returns when the audit is complete. Obama should just issue an executive order declaring the audit complete.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

That underfunded public school who can't handle their student load already exists. It existed before charters and will exist with minimal change after. These specific underfunded schools are primarily urban and primarily minority, of course.

Republicans have at least some control of 43 states and total control of 23... what about the GOP in your lifetime would suggest that charters are taking money that would otherwise go to (urban, majority-minority) public schools?

Many (most?) Charters are some mix of: attempts to weaken unions, vehicles for fraud and graft, gaming their test scores via admissions, or funneling public funds into religious education. And because of that, it's an article of faith for many on the left that they must be opposed and anyone who advocates for them has been captured by donors/WallStreet/TheValley/neolibs.

But what's the solution for those providing/receiving education in abysmal districts? Charters run counter to everything I believe about government, but I'm also not real inclined to tell another generation that they have to passively accept a poo poo education because (mostly white) charter opponents haven't figured out how to make public ed work outside of the suburbs and they might hurt unions one day in the future.

e: how the gently caress did I break the internal quote bracket?

One solution are things like the Oregon Virtual School District. It's free and shared online course material plus training for educators.

Sadly the program isn't allowed to run it's own online classes. They really wanted to because online education was seen as a way to make classes available to towns (often small remote towns) that couldn't provide the classes themselves. This was blocked by the charter schools throwing a fit over it being unfair to compete against the government.

They were also trying to create a single portal for students/parents to shop for online courses. Again the charter schools did everything they could to not let this happen by refusing to make their course catalogs available. I don't know if that portal ever came to be.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My guess is that won't be the case ;)

Epipens weren't the only drugs they jacked the prices up on. You're probably correct that they won't raises prices more but a lot of damage has already been done.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/23/how-mylan-hiked-prices-of-lots-of-other-products-besides-life-saving-epipen.html

quote:

"Mylan has raised the prices more than 20 percent on 24 products, and more than 100 percent on seven products,"

They include a stunning 542 percent increase for the drug ursodiol, which is a generic medication used to treat gallstones.

Maris also flagged a 444 percent increase in another generic drug, metoclopramide, which is commonly used to treat GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease as well as gastroparesis. Dicyclomine, a drug used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, had its price jacked up by 400 percent by Mylan.

The price of one of Mylan's biggest selling generics, tolterodine, was increased by 56 percent this year, the Wells Fargo analyst said. Tolterodine is used to treat overactive bladders.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

What does this even mean? Resident Alien cards already have fingerprints and photos on them. Resident aliens are supposed to carry their cards at all times.

edit: resident alien cards are "green cards".

size1one fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

i am harry posted:

There is no way in hell I'm taking my green card out of my house unless it's to an airport.

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act posted:

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

• Locked thread