Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ColonelDimak posted:

What is Southern Strategy denial?

I've seen it pop-up on Reddit but is that a mainstream thing now?

Over the course of around 100 years, the Democratic and Republican parties switched sides. It was a complicated, gradual thing, and in the process both parties abandoned black Americans for a few decades. At the end of it, though, the Democrats decided to side with the Civil Rights Movement and so Richard Nixon called all the racist Southerners to the Republican side in what's now called the Southern Strategy.

To deny the Southern Strategy is to deny this about-face and say that the Democrats are still the party of Southern racism and I guess that means all the Southern white Republicans love their black brothers and sisters?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the feature-length attack ad Hillary's America is what made this idea mainstream since it spends the first half talking about how Democrats were at one point the majority party of the South and thus racist as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

So CGP Grey released a new video on How self driving cars would solve traffic problems, and I feel like Youtube comments are now given Trump's campaign likely predictive of how reactionary forces might try to obstruct progress.

-I've seen hacking bandied about as a "cause for chaos" and it has been demonstrated on a few vehicles. But, wouldn't the consumer widespread Autos be always linked to a server for verification? I don't recall stories of google being hacked. Also it sounds like a sure fire way of landing your rear end in a federal prison for domestic terrorism.
-How soon would it be for the political will to start transitioning from human driven cars to auto's? What sort of options could exist to begin replacing 90% of all cars in cities to Autos? For people who "like" driving the option to turn off the AI seems like a no brainer once you've left the city limits no?
-When is the tipping point? Once insurance premiums for Autos drops below a Human driven car for big logistics companies?
-What about people who can't afford a car, does public transit also transition to being self driving with a Human at the wheel for safety? Do we finally see public transit get increased funding and expansion? Would auto's encourage this?

How fast is this technology progressing and what's the legal status so far? Would it hurt Uber if ANYONE with an Auto can press a button and it drives itself around as an autonomous taxi?

The big thing about true self-driving cars is that, if they get into an accident, the company who made them is liable for damages rather than the driver. Even if they're less accident prone than humans, that's a lot of money and insurance premiums getting redirected to a much smaller number of entities. As such, I expect probably a decade or more of driver assistance technology spreading into new vehicles--the kind of stuff that a driver can override and thus leaves him or her with the ultimate responsibility for safe driving.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I don't see how saying, "I don't like a thing" is incredibly stupid and unpleasant.

It takes two people to have an argument.

Please let it die.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Somebody help me out here. Is there some law on the books that says rapists and murderers can't be arrested or deported if they happen to be illegal aliens? Cause I hear this poo poo a lot, particularly from Bill O'Reilly.

Well, the federal private prison complex that the government is starting to shut down mostly holds foreign nationals who have to serve prison terms before being deported, so I don't think that's the case.

• Locked thread