Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Well I am sure it's worth it for Snowden because now I'm sure he enjoys many Russian "girlfriends" in addition to being a mouthpiece for Putin. Funny how Snowden has no problem with Russia's methods of surveillance.

He even asked Putin a carefully worded softball question at a press-conference the day after Pavel Durov revealed government pressure to spy on Russian opposition activists
and Ukrainian activists on VK. (Durov has since been forced to cede control of his social network and left the country).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KillingPablo posted:

Holy hell, is that true? How was someone working for the NSA and engineered the theft of so much data so stupid as to not realize Hong Kong wasn't some sanctuary from the PRC?

Well... One thing he seemed to reveal by his results (and not the documents themselves) is that NSA's internal opsec was somewhat lacking.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't give much of a poo poo either way but Zero day research/trading firms are a (despicable) thing.

Also very much a real thing, though, so it certainly plausible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget Jill Stein freaking out over radio waves recently.

And hanging out with Putin's top associates (and top Trump aide) at "RT is awesome!" dinner, apparently, with the tzar himself in presence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I live in Illinois and I get Hillary ads during the Olympics. That poo poo is everywhere.

Saw them in Boston area. Could be targeting NH, could be a nationwide buy?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

iospace posted:

Whoopsies! Or, "It never was about muslims, it's about dem brown people."

And here I thought Pence was supposed to be the one /removing/ the foot from the mouth.

Well, he changed an evil unimplementable policy to an evil implementable one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

radical meme posted:

This is really simple.

The press just needs to have the balls to say, "your explanation is bullshit Mr. Trump".

Don't hold your breath for that to happen.

(Screenshot lifted from @owillis)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

radical meme posted:

How the gently caress is this piece of poo poo person even still someone people pay attention to?

He is "anti-establishment", so clearly anything bad about him must be a conspiracy to damage his reputation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

Trump saying that Obama founded ISIS is like saying King George III founded the United States of America.

No, more like saying George IV did.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

greatn posted:

I dare any journalist to read those judicial watch emails without falling the gently caress asleep.

Come on, that's not how it works. They'll just summarize the RNC and Clinton campaign responses and call it a "balanced story".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Well, it's never happened before. The new nominee might not make it on all state ballots (Dems will absolutely try to ensure Trump stays where the law even hints that he can't be replaced), and the Trump diehards would riot, either staying home or voting third party. It would likely guarantee that the GOP cannot get 270 votes, and would probably have crippling effects up and down the ballot.

Or it'll save them and lead them to a second republican revolution. Who the gently caress knows?

Technically, they only need Hillary to not get 270...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrNutt posted:

It is okay, however, to tell impoverished white people how stupid they are for voting against their own self interests.

This election is an odd one to talk about that, since, well, I for one am motivated by not having my Muslim friends in internment camps.

Though I suppose there is also self-interest, since those sorts always come for us Jews at some point anyway.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pander posted:

Herman Cain probably.

even money says Michael Steele votes for Hillary.

I am honestly curious about Justice Thomas's vote. (Though it'd probably be inappropriate for him to disclose it...)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

They're also likely to come up with new rules that give them much stronger ways to ratfuck the populist at the convention in the future.

Convention is too late, IMHO. GOP primary voters were doing rally-round the-leader way before that (was it Indiana primary, or maybe earlier?), and seemed to have been ticked off by some delegate games before that. Going against the primary/party base electorate at that point would have had a high chance of blowing up the party (while they can hope things will blow over by next election...)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WampaLord posted:

In the rallies, Trump keeps emphasizing over and over how big a number 33,000 is. Thirty three THOUSAND emails!

Wonder how many of them are spam...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

edrith posted:

One of my friends is completely convinced that Putin is going to invade Estonia within the next three years. Specifically Estonia, because they have a large and apparently disliked Russian minority. How stupid is she being? I'm assuming very.

Depends directly on whether we have President Trump or President Clinton.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

botany posted:

It doesn't, Estonia is part of NATO under both of them.

One of them has made public statements about not following the NATO commitment towards them and their neighbors.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Riosan posted:

In lighter news, y'all:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/764192794361540608

I can't be certain, but I think Joe Biden broke into my mom's CD collection.

Didn't know Hunter Biden posted here...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NY Times has somewhat more detailed report:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/nyregion/1-killed-in-shooting-outside-mosque-in-queens.html
Sadly looks like both victims died :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

This won't go anywhere. We literally already knew Paul Manafort is a Russian plant. Trump is just a useful idiot, Manafort has always been the real representative of the influence of a foreign government, it's just that Trump is so blatantly stupid that the American electorate hates him.

I feel I should point out that this doesn't actually connect Manafort to Russia. It's quite a bit more likely that the money was basically stolen from the Ukrainian people rather than paid for by Kremlin.
The Yanukovich regime was very much about personal enrichment, foreign policy aspects were very much secondary.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Read the article, he is actually connected to deals with Putin's inner circle of oligarchs by it.

I did, but I don't see this as being some sort of secret-agent-trying-to-destroy-the-US sort of deal, but rather as thieves being thieves.
That's just what Putin's buddies do in Russia. That's what Yanukovich's buddies did in Ukraine (and many still do, since much of their
power isn't political, or at least not nationally political, but rather regionally oligarchic).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

If this Russia thing gains legs I think Assange is going to be out of the picture as far as the election goes. The "Wikileaks is a Russian mouthpiece" thing was a wild haymaker thrown by the Democrats in an attempt to deflect the damage of the DNC leaks, but between Trump's big fat loving mouth and Manafort's publicized pro-Russian ties, any future bombshells are going to be duds.

Uhm, that wikileaks was a Russian mouthpiece was very obvious way before the whole DNC thing happened.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I never worked for them! And the payments were never in cash!

Maybe it's rather "It's not off the books! It's in the secret second ledger".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

You mean this?

I hope the far right recognizes that this literally means America should be allied with Iran.

As stated literally, it also means US allies would include Nigeria and ...Ukraine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

emdash posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/764992807236808704

:stare:

can't wait to see what shape this "getting worse for Manafort" takes

A tiny bit of what exactly the current bit is from Ukrainian press:

English summary: http://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2016/08/15/7117755/

Of particular interest may be that he didn't actually sign for the cash, someone else did, though reading signatures in that book is...hard.

Longer story saying basically the same thing in Ukrainian, only with more discussion with anti-corruption bureau chief: http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2016/08/15/7117797/

Same thing in Russian: http://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/news/2016/08/15/7117797/

Edit: to clarify a bit, the anti-corruption bureau's angle is basically "we are going to need a lot more than this to have a court case, but it's a start that may be useful combined with other documents".

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 15, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I got to this and just can't stop laughing.

Some credit is due to whoever edited out RT from the list...

(Also, aren't some of these, uhm, fine publications, at least somewhat anti-Trump?)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

computer parts posted:

*On a side note, a lot of issues with gerrymandering would be solved if we simply decreased this ratio. I like a ratio of ~100k per rep, personally.

That would require about 3000 reps, which would be rather impractical.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not yet mentionned about that PPP Texas poll: they did a hypothetical Trump vs. Obama matchup, which Nd up as just 48-46 for Trump.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't there still a chechen thing still going on? Aren't Russia losing money on it? Aren't they horriffic fuckwits who've hosed themselves into a corner with a president who is trying to prop up donald loving Trump?

Russia is literally paying off Chechnya and letting its big whigs ignore parts of country's federal law (like, say, letting a bigwig have an arranged marriage with a minor for a second wife, IIRC). Dagestan is still hot (not a war, but some violence), and that's despite the security services encouraging everyone they had doubts it in to join ISIS in Syria right around Sochi.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, can't seem to make the auto-Twitter thing work.

quote:

Maxim Tucker – ‏@MaxRTucker

We have fresh and exclusive details on #ManafortCash and the Trump campaign chief's exploits in #Ukraine in tomorrow's edition of @TheTimes

http://www.twitter.com/MaxRTucker/status/765637474601275392

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Zhirinovskiy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A bit more on Manafort:
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/765871967891259394
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/765872258816569344

https://twitter.com/MaxRTucker/status/765873250454896640
(Sadly paywalled, but looks like the images has some of the ledge entries)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

:tviv:

Yeah, those are images of ledger entries, the last one shows a 3+ million payment to "Paul Manafort - Contract."

Sounds like you have access to the actual story (with images large enough to at least see the scribbles) --- anything else worth highlighting?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

NPR comment section is always Gen-X dead-enders fighting the same fights they've probably been trying to make happen since 1990 so shutting it down is probably a net benefit for both NPR and the commenting brigade.

How did they manage to avoid the Russians?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Perhaps Barry Goldwater's record on Civil Rights may be an appropriate comparison? IIRC he wasn't racist himself but opposed the Civil Rights Act on "it's big government!" concerns.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

Trump losing is actually just a huge myth!

This article is funny, but I question it's honesty. I stopped reading at

This is so far past delusional, there has to be a word for it. Trumpane?

Hey, Trump has a +6 favorability in New York.
Among Republicans, that is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing that means that he thinks the pollsters are as wrong about him as they were about Brexit. I'm surprised he knows about Brexit.

He knows so much about Brexit he was congratulating people about it when visiting his golf course in Scotland

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antti posted:

Isn't Daybreak also the poll where they use self-reporting to figure out who voted D and R in 2012? This will :siren: skew :siren: the sample towards people who voted R, because people "forget" voting for the loser.

I understand why using self-reported vote results is wrong, but how is one supposed to do it? Just demographics? I guess likely voter screens asking whether someone has voted in the last election have similar problems, too...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
FWIW, NABU has published the Manager/Yanukovich ledger entries (including English translation)
https://www.facebook.com/nabu.gov.ua/posts/1792546890990989
Nothing too exciting there, but there are links to the originals at the bottom of the post, if anyone cares.

Edit: the top of the article is in Ukrainian, but if you scroll down a bit there is an English translation.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Buffer posted:

No it's not. If you're a public figure, you don't enjoy the same protections as you or me. This is a good thing.

Don't like it there's a really easy way to not be subject to that standard...

I agree with public figures having less protections, but I feel it's reasonable to say that it would take some rather weird circumstances for that protection to not include privacy of their bedrooms.

• Locked thread