Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

why aren't these staffers pulling the ripcord and bailing? must be hard walking without bones.

To collect a paycheck for the next 3 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

If you don't have pride in your country then I dunno move or something I guess? Maybe don't talk about the politics for said country in said country's politics thread? I dunno, every time I hear someone talking about how people taking pride in their country or like wearing the country's flag on a shirt is stupid or pointless just seems like you're being pessimistic for no reason. Like have you ever been to a group outing of like 100+ people? Sometimes being loud as gently caress about who you are can be fun

Didn't you like wander into D&D with a bunch of dumb opinions like a week ago, maybe you shouldn't be telling people to :frogout:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So that McClatchy-Marist Poll has with Clinton +15 has Democrats +8 overall in congressional elections, what is the general margin before Democrats taking back the house actually becomes realistic?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Everyone's already forgotten about FairGame's racism in baseball announcing goon project which was successfully funded, released and written about on The Atlantic.

I didn't forget, it was almost 5 years ago to the day that I donated :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This makes you as much of a coward as Snowden, fyi. Especially considering the global ramifications here.

lmao look at this poo poo, are you 14?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SedanChair posted:

You're right, they'll desperately and avidly reconcile themselves to it well before she is elected.

What do you mean, they already have

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I though the worst thing about his campaign was emboldening white nationalists across the country, but hey I guess a liberal being snide with you is just as bad.

Yeah see, this is exactly the point, annoying != the worst

unless you're a snide liberal I guess where being annoyed might actually be the worst thing you ever experience

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Okay, even if Snowden is supposedly not a traitor what did his release actually do? There hasn't been some revolution where people have been locking down their electronic devices or even any real kind of visible reform. What difference did he make besides making the intelligence agencies aware of making sure they hire less libertarian retards and Obama had to give some milquetoast "trust me" speech?

revealed how many liberals like yourself are insane nationalists who reflexively lash out any time someone says "America bad"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really don't think the Benghazi thing does anything to her. The only people who care about Benghazi are so far up the Republican rear end in a top hat they think Hillary is killing people who displease her every other day Darth Vader style.

Which is funny because if Clinton didn't stop Benghazi with her magic state department ninjas why the hell didn't Republicans use them when 'Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US'?

A not insignificant portion of people literally believe that, why do you think so many people are still voting for Trump and/or Stein/Johnson despite the fact that every one of them is insane politically

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Why are you so comfortable with the 3 different corporations you uploaded your dick pics to having your dick pics?
I think the potential for abuse and the consequences of that abuse are the obvious differences, or that people are used to being personally exploited for the profit of others but not used to the government monitoring their activities in a passive fashion

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

So you trust corporations to not just immediately hand over the information if the cops/feds/etc come asking? Which immediately leads to the same abuse as if it was just taken in the first place?

I mean hell half of what Snowden "revealed" is precisely how much corporations are willing to just hand anything the government wants over so the government doesn't even need to monitor on their own, just let it sit right there and be rifled through as they need it.

Nah, you're not reading what I'm saying correctly. My personal belief is that the conventional notion of privacy is outdated and hadn't caught up to reality yet. It's inevitable and something that can't be changed without basically uninventing networked computers. The only safeguards to abuse of that data are cultural, not technological or legal. Most people haven't reconciled themselves with that idea yet and that's why they're up in arms about it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a good feeling that Duckworth will beat Kirk in IL, but it might not be that much of a help because Kirk is pretty consistently the only R willing to cross the aisle on things like gun control, healthcare and appointments. One of the most difficult things about retaking the House will be seats where there are no D challengers. In my district our current R rep, the shitacular Adam Kinzinger, is running completely unopposed. If the Dems don't grow some balls and run someone next election and I'm still living here, I've considered just running myself as an independent just so people have someone else to vote for.

For the first time in like 20 years the Kansas state democratic party is running a candidate in every senate and congressional race, and a whole 75% of state level offices. It's kind of pathetic but it's partly because of the whole bleeding Kansas thing (the state legislature hasn't had a democratic majority since 1917 and the last democrat senator from the state was elected in 1939) and it's still progress of a sort but it tells you how dire the situation is in a lot of Midwest states. I hope that the next DNC chairperson invests in state level parties that aren't traditional democrat strongholds because they really really need to set up for the 2020 elections/census and subsequent district redrawing.

e: realized that I said the same thing as MIGF more or less, gonna go take a shower now

rscott fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 7, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Because the people who vote them in don't want the government to do anything.

Yeah it's this. Grover Nordquist and the whole government small enough to down in the bath tub and all of that

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Stereotype posted:

The witchhunt of Clinton for basically nothing after nearly a decade of positive policies and enormous economic growth in order to win an election exemplifies Republicans: They don't give a poo poo about America they just want to win.

"drat these progressive policies worked really well, I guess we should be monsters and make the guy who fixed everything look like a pervert because our ideas don't work at all" -Republicans of 1999 and also right now

The ret conning of the first Clinton administration is getting kind of ridiculous

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763008129923686400

I guess we're going to find out if political ads matter at all.

This is from this morning and may have been discussed but how mad are broadcasters that one side is basically just not spending any money on ads?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't political campaigns get preferential rates? They're probably pretty happy that they get to use the ad space on more lucrative contracts.

What was said below about superPAC spending, also it's not like TV and radio stations are growing their audiences these days. Obama and Romney combined to spend a billion dollars in media spending with superPAC spending included. If one side is going to get out spent 10:1, that's $400 million in ad sales if spending holds even from 2012, when total money spent on federal elections was about $3.8 billion. Last year it was estimated about $4.4b would be spent in 2016 combined, and I'm really interested in seeing what the final tally is and how much money was redirected to down ticket races (which presumably cost less since they're smaller markets, so that could drive down total spending as well).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Kansas. Mother. loving. Kansas. Is this even real life? :psyduck:
Is this my reward for enduring the W years and following economic disaster?(Please don't start a Derail about W's effect on the economy, ffs.)

Pretty much have to go volunteer now if that poll is right

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

My poor sister in law is terrified by this election because she's absolutely sure Trump has a silent majority that will turn out for him. I tried to convince her otherwise and help her relax, but she's too frightened to believe me. She insists he'll piggyback on the downticket GOTV efforts and somehow steal victory without a campaign apparatus. I have no idea how to explain to her how insane that would be.

Does she live in an area of mostly white people? I could see believing that living in hell County but remind her that the rest of the country has different people living in it who aren't loving nuts or nihilists

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Trump is in 4th place amongst black voters holy cow

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Maybe this is why Trump isn't spending any money on ads? He spouts his crazy stuff, news reports it, his voters tell their friends and so forth. If it's on the news, Facebook, etc every time he opens his mouth, why buy ads?

He doesn't get to control the narrative this way

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

iospace posted:

Good, because then all those BMW asshat drivers are off the road.

#notallbmwdrivers

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

#allblazerdrivers

I think this checks out

Also while we're on the name for the Trump fascists I'm partial to bronyshirt myself

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dirt posted:

I guess that's progress. From Arzying to Card games.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I haven't played card games since Magic as a teenager. . Someone tell me how racist magic is/was plz

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=1488&type=card

e: fb but the card number is hilarious in of itself

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

over the last 25 years, politicians have voted in accord with their party's platform 82 percent of the time. yes, there is no formal mechanism to guarantee compliance but platforms set the foundations of debate and set voter expectations.

unless you think hillary clinton is a dramatic break from the past, the criticism makes no sense.

Where is this statistic curated from, I'd like to cite it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

The Senate is inherently gerrymandered in favour of small lovely states that no one cares about.

Looking in terms of population, a lot of the small western GOP states should be merged together and a lot of the small northeastern Democrat states should be merged together, because there is no actual reason for the four people who live in Wyoming or Vermont to have equal representation in the Senate as the sixth largest economy in the world, California.

It just so happens that the GOP have the support of a few more of these small lovely states (think Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Alaska, etc.), so they have a built-in advantage in the Senate.

Why not just get rid of the senate, it's not like an upper chamber is axiomatic to parliamentary governments.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

If you're planning an October Surprise, though, why announce it two months in advance?

That's his whole point, you don't talk about what you have in reserve unless you don't actually have much if anything at all

Christ what is up with the reading comprehension in this thread lately

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The best part of that article is when he straight up says "yeah this won't eliminate panhandling altogether but that's not the point", having realistic goals for your plans is crucial to making sure that they're successful long term

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Also the whole, "this is to humanize these people and get them back into participating in society" means the program is much less likely to devolve into rounding up all the homeless people and putting them into work camps or something

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The idea that Trump was going to pivot, or at least slow the tide of insane poo poo was a lot more prevalent back in May than it was now, so I can see how that would be an open question at that point. I hope they've decided since then to go all in on showing that Trump is the logical extension of republican ideology over the last 40 years because this is a generational opportunity to make gains in Congress

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He told them to bring their guns with them

You literally can not give him the benefit of the doubt on anything he says

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Gail Wynand posted:

Billy Corgan is a big Alex Jones fan so he'd probably be on board.

That's CEO of TNA wrestling Billy Corgan to you :colbert:

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

When even conservative talk radio hosts are responding to their conscience and saying "I can't keep lying for Trump" then you know poo poo is hosed

It's too late though. If he isn't willing to go along with the ride then they'll find someone who will.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
c because of d makes c an acceptable answer to that question imo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

"Double downed"

How does that get through copy-editing?

Editor really likes KFC

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Jared Leto needing to become a monumental rear end in a top hat isn't really method acting so much as playing himself.

I checked out of pop culture for several years so when people were talking about Jared Leto a while back I was wondering why the lead singer of 30 seconds to mars was relevant

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Does that make Bill the Professor?

Bernie Sanders was the professor in all the memes I saw where Hillary was Mom

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Only UCONN women's basketball fans bother to follow the WNBA and their games are pretty much only carried on Connecticut public television, so it's a pretty self-selected audience of grey-haired liberal old ladies who donate to public tv and radio.

This describes my grandma to a t but I think they carry some games on csny if I remember correctly from when I was looking up how to stream wnba games for her

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

No one gives a poo poo about your twitter account bro

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol also how crazy is a conspiracy theory that the Clinton campaign invented BHO

Butane Hash Oil? Now I'm definitely all in on Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Violator posted:

I've never understood what this is supposed to mean. Around the whole "the body can shut it down" stuff, I think I remember an old man with some degree of power saying women should just put an aspirin between their knees. Is this a way of saying women can avoid pregnancy by keeping their legs closed?

Todd Akin was 4 years ago to the day basically, remember when saying something like that was enough to sink your campaign?

• Locked thread