Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theflyingorc posted:

It is a bounce, but it's a surprisingly large one since it should, in theory, have been limited by the opposition's bounce. I think she'll keep a few points of it for a while.

The bigger part is the jump in her favorability. If that sticks around, it means that people are coming around on her.

Plus, I think her bounce might be more durable since some of it came from the convention managing to win over holdouts from the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Cruz, too. He's pretty clearly angling for a 2020 run. Possibly Kasich, too, his gimmick in the primary this election was being the Sane Dude, which depending on how this election and the response thereto goes might be much more appealing to the GOP base in four years.

I think Kaisch's long play is going to work out better for him than Cruz's backstab. Because if Trump loses, people will point to Cruz as being a part of it, while Kaisch has made his lack of support clear without doing a grand-standing and public snub. Kaisch will come off more as 'I told you so' than 'It's your fault'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Flake was just on NPR saying it is totally inappropriate for Trump to do any of this poo poo with respect to starting a fight with the Khans.

All of this is only going to make The Donald madder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sonatinas posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russia is the new boogeyman now? I know that they have some political clout with veto power on the security council and there are concerns about hacking but it seems like it's going to be Red Dawn to these people any second now.

It probably has something to do with them invading Ukraine, and also being one of the major forces that propped up Assad in Syria and a major reason the US really didn't want to go in harder.

Also, Putin's kind of a dick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chokes McGee posted:

It didn't even really "work" all that much except to rile up a few hardcore Bernouts. If they had something damning in those emails Assange would be physically unable to resist putting it out there ASAP and basking in the glow of the whistleblowing.

It got DWS fired, which I remember making a punch of Democrats happy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The most common reaction to it I saw was 'Clinton Sticks the Landing', namely that it was kind of average but that the DNC as a whole went so well that it was good enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What a glamorous and glitzy convention it was. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Butts posted:

McCain also backtracked on torture a while back. He really is slime. Country dodged one when he went nowhere.

They can't. Republicans have become the party of White Nationalists.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12256510/republican-party-trump-avik-roy

They weren't blind to it. They just (as the right always does) thought they could control it and dupe it. And then they (as always loving happens) couldn't, so now they write these hosed up mea culpas about 'BUT WE NEVER KNEW!' Gutless slime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clinton's chances suddenly turning into pure graphical :awesome: is just wonderful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

But what if he pivots-

The Pivot is never coming. They can get him to try for like, one speech at a time and then he just melts down harder after.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Riosan posted:

There is no pivot. Trump can give about one boring teleprompter speech, but then when he inevitably realizes that the news cycle isn't about him and that his fanbase finds those speeches boring, he just goes off on some batshit tangent. This has happened at least twice, last I checked.

Yeah, this is what I meant. He can't do it. Even if he could, it probably wouldn't help.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonkeyOnFire posted:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/760448768349204481

Seems like a pretty moderate Rep (as far as these things go) and not running for re-election, but there's now a leak in the dam.

Looking him up, he's also one of the few Republican reps to refuse to sign Norquist's bullshit pledge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is bragging about raising 35 million this July. Romney raised 100 million in July 2012.

Romney should really get on calling him a poor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

waitwhatno posted:

I'm not trying to imply that Europe is any less on a slow march to fascism, that's not the incomprehensible part. It's that the population is ready to hand the key to the most important office in the country to a character from the Jersey Shore. He is mentally a child, that's what gets me.

The German Trump equivalent has a PhD in Chemistry and founded her own company. The French Trump equivalent has a law degree. They are all grown up people, that have shown a basic level competence and skill throughout life. Trump is a child. Even if you are a racist hick from bumfuck nowhere, you can still spot a bad lawyer, doctor or a bad cashier at a supermarket.

What you need to understand is that one of the messages pushed by the GOP's talk radio wing for years, basically whenever a Democrat is President, is 'If we just stood up and really told the world what we really mean we'd totally win!'

That's their excuse every time they lose. That the GOP's standard bearer wasn't loudly and proudly racist enough. They've had to sustain themselves on dogwhistles and coded talk for decades while being told their ideas are extremely popular and if someone just says them aloud it will give them victory like magic. Trump does have one skill and that's getting attention and showmanship. His primary victory looks (to a lot of the GOP base) to have validated the idea that loud and open racism and attention getting are an invincible strategy. It's looking like the General is going to prove them wrong, but still. They don't care that he's a poo poo businessman, they care that he's a very loud racist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Europe is turbo-racist, they just have to deal with it less often.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Noam Chomsky posted:

And there's a meme going around that Bernie's support of down-ticket races will mean that there's a blue legislature and that Trump won't be doing anything so, no, you don't have to vote for Clinton.

I didn't think Bernie supporters would end up making me angrier than the Trumpsters.

The still-bernout people are basically the people who would've voted Green or something else stupid at this point. Most of Bernie's people are where Bernie is, against Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, is this good or bad?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any chance this makes Paul Ryan go 'gently caress it' and reciprocate the middle finger?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Not really. "I supported him through the judge thing, the muslim thing and the Gold Star thing but not helping me get re-elected? That's a bridge too far"

I suppose you also have to take into account Paul Ryan is a gutless coward so the chances of him just getting angry enough to try to take The Don with him are very low.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's AG group?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, so if tea-partiers are getting primaried...

Are we actually looking at a real GOP civil war, possibly?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

My new fear is that Trump flames out within the next month, quits out of anger, and then the GOP replaces him with Cruz or whoever. This gives the Trumpers two months to come to terms and vote for the new Not Hillary and then the moderates that were turned off by Trump to come back. I know that's a long shot but at this point it sounds like a clearer path to victory than Trump himself actually winning.

I think if they actually have their nominee flame out to the extent that they have to replace him and try to spin up a campaign apparatus with 60 days to go they're turbo-hosed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Necc0 posted:

Why am I getting strong deja vu from this?

Because everything Trump says is in the same simplistic cadence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Please tell me someone has a screenshot of CNN right now

What's happening?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

straight up brolic posted:

The GOP are dumb and stubborn, but they should have confirmed Garland when Obama nominated him.

I remember seeing one analyst who said they should do that immediately as soon as Trump became presumptive nominee.

Bet that guy feels :smugdog: now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He would say he'd glass the hell out of Iran or lmao India or Pakistan or something and his base would loving eat it up. Then those counties would condemn him and "THEM NUCLEAR POWERS AND MUSLIMS WANT HILARY BECAUSE SHES WEAK."

And his base would eat it the hell up

Yeah, but no-one cares about his base. Only about his ability to somehow get his tiny hands on an extra 5-10% of the vote besides them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

I feel like we are living in the Dead Zone movie but Trump is both Martin Sheen and Christopher Walken's characters.

I was just about to say, Trump really is a real life Stillman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gorelab posted:

Honestly, the US seems to have dealt with the recession far better than Europe just because it didn't get nearly as manically into austerity and was willing to have some inflation going on.

We had a president who genuinely wanted to do more stimulus and got stymmied by congress. Things could be better if it weren't for 2010.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zophar posted:

"Clinton Foundation" is 2016's mad lib for 2008's "ACORN", including all the attendant baseless speculation it signifies.

The miasma of vague suspicion around Hillary is proof the right wing's media strategy works.

The existence of Trump is proof that it works too well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't that like an organized crime thing?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No, the RNC raised the bulk of that money. Trump did not.

Also, isn't he kinda too late anyway? 'August' is not when you should be STARTING your ad buys or campaign spending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It must be tough, to be an actual wizard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now It's gotten up to his eyes. I know, Nowcast and all, but lol.

The poo poo is beginning to block out his face as his dead eyes stare over a solid bar of blue.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, a question: What's a Tracking Poll, exactly? As opposed to a normal poll?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

Don't forget we had a Republican congressional panel in the 50's literally trying to root out leftists as subversive anti-American dissidents and ruin their lives.

And that St. Ronnie happily informed on Hollywood rivals to it to further his career.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No you don't you give him the rope to hang himself with. This poo poo is not getting resolved, just overtaken. Then it will all get brought back up and the wounds reopened.

Going whole hog right now is what the GOP does, and that's why they have no ammo left for Hillary.

Hillary Clinton is the political equivalent of antibiotic resistant strains. They overused the slander and attack for everything she's ever done, and it's inoculated her against them. Now the Republican Party gets to poo poo itself to death, helpless to stop it.

This is the worst analogy I will make this month.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

farraday posted:

Besides it would be difficult to go whole hog with the Olympics about to suck some of the air out of the room. You've got to be careful which stories you try and keep smoldering. Unless Trump douses himself in gasoline(again) of course.

Trump is not going to take the Olympics taking some of the attention off him very well at all, I suspect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: the LATimes hosed up and got a sample of 3000 money laundering "almond farmers" in Tulare and every day they get nothing but TRUMPCLICK

Actually he's behind in that poll now too lol

:fork:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

haveblue posted:

The this is fine dog has been mainstream for a while, dude. Even though he's had an awakening.

This comic seems to be what's happening with the electorate at the moment, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone noticed he hasn't tweeted anything overtly negative for the past 24 hours?

No replies to Khan, no defense of his wife's immigration status (her role seems to have been eliminated by campaign staff once the plagarized speech hit home), no screeds against Hillary?

He's being muzzled somehow, although I can't imagine it lasting very long or how he agreed to shut up.

Any vets still pulling for him are probably doing so with all the gusto of chugalugging a bottle of Listerine.

They always manage to shut him up for a day or two at a time eventually. But you can't stop up an rear end in a top hat forever and it just makes the eventual explosion even worse.

• Locked thread