Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

While I'm very glad that Trump is getting trashed by Hillary in the polls this week, Trump was actually leading her a week ago. Here's my question: what made those people who supported Trump no more than a few DAYS ago, suddenly change their minds? I mean yeah, yeah Trump said a whole bunch of noxious poo poo. So what? He's been spewing garbage like that ever since he started running (and for, you know, the the past 40 years). "I know Trump said he hated muslins, but I never thought he'd actually attack one!"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That bump and rebound always happens after conventions practically every election
Yeah. My understanding is that most of the Clinton bounce reflects Clinton consolidating her support among Democrats -- not Trump losing substantial numbers of voters within a few days. There may be some people fleeing the collapsing Trump Tower, but Trump's actual numbers haven't moved very much. He just flat out hasn't consolidated his base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

An immature part of me enjoys reading way too much into this comment:

I was honored to hang the photo,” Fred Urban said. “He’s a prominent businessman and a big supporter of German-American heritage.”
lol

As a "German-American" this makes me lol. Just when our reputation started to recover here comes Herr Drumpf to gently caress it up for another couple of generations.

We were parlaying this craft beer wave into Oktoberfests and everything. Things were looking up!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*Trump walks into the House of Reagan and smashes a hole in the wall with a sledgehammer*

*Thousands of tiny spiders with Hitler mustaches come pouring out*

Paul Ryan: "I don't know what this is, other than it isn't us!"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Drudge is really getting desperate.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Conservatism may be at a low point, but populism isn't, and the next demagogue may not have the disadvantage of being a literally insane fascist. The next couple of decades may see a modern Huey Long, who could gently caress up the Democratic party (and possibly America) as much as a Trump presidency.
I anticipate this happening. For a weird hybrid blend of this look at the Five Star Movement in Italy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

What would the danger of a more populist version of Bernie be?
The Huey Long of the future won't be coming from the more left-wing-than-Bernie direction. That candidate would combine Trumpism with the left.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Again I'd look at the Five Star Movement (or M5S), which is a really odd duck.

If you look at its politics and organization, its ideology is a blend of (and all these categories are very vague within the party) anti-globalization, environmentalism, sustainability, populism, anti-interventionism, Euroskepticism, and being against "corrupt" politicians in general. They've played coy on immigration. It also embraces "internet voting" (think Redditers) and has a proprietary website where party members can vote up or down on various issues. But it's also totally internally unaccountable (since a handful of people at the top control the e-voting system) and is built around the personality cult of a demagogic comedian name Beppe Grillo who makes racist anti-Muslim jokes.

If you took the Trumpstaffel and the Bernie-or-Busters and merged them into one party and added Peter Thiel, you'd get something like M5S. Also M5S is in a coalition in the E.U. parliament with far-right parties including AfD, UKIP, the Swedish Democrats and the Lithuanian Party of Order and Justice.

And if it wasn't for the peculiar way the Italian parliament seats parties, M5S would be the second-largest political party in the country.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 13, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

Italy or any other European country is a poor example to use because, well. White people.
True but the populism of the future will take different forms owing to particular national characteristics. Like M5S wants to deregulate the economy, reduce the size of the state and slash taxes ... but also nationalize banks. It's a weird brew that's particular to Italian politics. Though my main sense is that left and right are pretty nebulous categories.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

There are a surprising number of those KKK comics giving Mexico props for smacking down the Catholics. My knowledge of that period is hazy, was Mexico's government at the time backing laicism, or generally impeding the organized power of the church?
Land reform was a major, major, major part of the Mexican revolution as private oligarchs ruled over vast tracts of the country at the top of an indentured servitude system. The Catholic church was tied up in this I think, and had its land expropriated after the old elites got gotten by the dudes holding rifles and wearing bigass sombreros.

My knowledge of Mexican history is also hazy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765285492711682048

Some numbers from PPP's Texas poll over the weekend?

Johnson's numbers looking not so great leads me to believe Trump isn't as weak here as I'm hoping. Guess we'll find out tomorrow or Wednesday
Yeah. Trump likely leading. But there's some chatter:

quote:

Austin-based Democratic pollster Leland Beatty argues, in a memo obtained by The Texas Tribune, that several factors, including an anticipated drop in GOP straight-ticket voting, could provide beleaguered state Democrats their biggest opening in 20 years. His predictions come as Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton continues to trounce Trump in all national and most battleground state polling, raising questions about his strength even in some reliably red states.

In Texas, 20 state House districts may be in play out of 39 where there is a GOP incumbent and a Democratic challenger on the ballot, Beatty wrote. In all 39 districts, a majority of those expected to vote — ranging from 52 percent to 72 percent — see corruption as widespread in Texas government, according to Beatty's projections.

[...]

A poll done by Beatty in June found Clinton trailing Trump in Texas by only 7 percentage points, 30 percent to 37 percent. A week later, a nonpartisan University of Texas/Texas Politics Project survey found a similar margin, with Clinton behind Trump by 8 points, 33 percent to 41 percent.

State Democrats got a shot in the arm earlier this week when Clinton's running mate, Tim Kaine, dropped in on Texas for a two-day fundraising swing that included a volunteer thank you event Tuesday in Austin. The U.S. senator from Virginia told volunteers he and Clinton are "very serious" about Texas, and in a subsequent radio interview, he said it is "definitely possible" Clinton could carry the state in November.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/11/memo-texas-dems-have-greatest-opportunities-20-yea/
In 2012, Obama took 41 percent of the vote in Texas.

So if Hillary has consolidated to that level, and Trump has stayed flat, it could be neck and neck.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 15, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Classic Alex Jones on Austin public access is something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FyDF2wllSc

People watching this like wtf

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

alex jones hasn't changed much over the years
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJbsraMdDQ

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 18, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's an opinion.

If you're gay and support Donald Trump you're an idiot.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well he literally wants to consume the blood of healthy young people in order to live forever and ya gotta admit that's a bit loopy
I'm pretty sure that's also the villain from the new Star Trek movie.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's possible that peter theil is not a single issue voter, just because he is Gay. he might actually have other issues, that weigh upon him more, than his sexuality, perhaps
Clearly.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah I saw all that and agree, but would be very surprised if any of these people do anything. Hopefully it doesnt happen, but if it does I have a feeling things are going to change very rapidly for him and his rallies, and not in a way his supporters are going to like.
Yeah. A lot of the men at these rallies are old and cannot do the physical things needed to wage Civil War II: Electric Boogaloo. Once you're in your thirties you age out pretty fast. I actually expect blood from them at the rate which this is headed, but on a relatively small scale. IMO there is no reason to believe Oklahoma City will be the last big right-wing terror attack in the U.S.

What's somewhat concerning are these new alt-right / white supremacist groups popping up. Small, and only in a few cities. But they're young men, with varying levels of fitness, and looking a lot better than our typical meth Nazis.

https://twitter.com/Cascadia_TRS/status/755838973142982656

https://twitter.com/HoustonGoylers/status/757291734988709888

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I'm real scared that the rejected members of Cross Fit Local 1046 are going to start up poo poo.
LOL. Yeah right now the local group in my town (which might only be one guy) is playing poster tag with the local antifas (which is also probably in the single digits).

https://twitter.com/AntifaDFW/status/752273965926670336

But it's heartening the anarchists are aware of 'em. Though some of these groups on Twitter are also letting off some steam at firing ranges. I do think it's concerning because young men + stupid poo poo + guns = dead body. Especially stupid racist poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

It's a pun. Houston Oilers + "goy."
Looking more into it, they're part of a new attempt to kickstart a neo-Nazi movement with the main networking heft being done by a group called Identity Evropa. It's pretty interesting structurally. Youth-oriented and horizontally distributed with the focus on specific cities. During the fall semester they plan to do coordinated flyering and leaflets on campuses, that sort of thing. Baby steps.

Mostly they find each other on Twitter and the invite-only TRS forum. Idea being to take the forumers and Twitter users and connect them at the local level and have them take it from there. Also, a very deliberate co-opting of left-wing language like "safe spaces" and "occupying space." Also a bit more ideologically flexible, although it's deffo a Nazi movement, but more flexible than say the National Alliance.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It all lead up to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

A month after this video was released, Bush won Florida. And that, as they say, was history.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If I had to take a guess at nu-metal's popularity, I'd want to explore the suburbanization of American youth after Reagan accelerated deindustrialization. Hip-hop hit its first golden era in the early 1990s and nu-metal borrowed from that. I'd also want to look at race relations and how nu-metal, for all its lovely music, represented a fusion of white and black youth cultures (although nu metal was definitely on the whiter side of the equation).

I'm out of the loop today but I don't see music crossing racial boundaries as much. It feels like there's been a hardening.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Local white supremacists in attendance:

https://twitter.com/CuckerPunch/status/767448182624092160

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

I don't really understand civil war reenactments since it seems to be a really America thing, is it just people trying to pretend that the south won?
I went camping in East Texas when I was a kid, which is like the Dixie part of Texas (well, more than the rest) and there was a civil war reenactment nearby, so we trudge over there, and the battle is for a fictional battle that didn't actually take place ... and the Confederacy won.

So yes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Reading about how Trump doesn't drink reminds me of how people used to say they wanted to have a beer with GWB (who was a recovered alcoholic and teetotaler), and the constant "Drunken Uncle Joe Biden" jokes (who is actually also a teetotaler).

Meanwhile, who was the most recent top political figure in America that you could (and some actually did) have a beer with? You guessed it. :cheers:

Actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2g6M4wTeg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting trend that American Neo-Nazis have taken to VK because they don't ban them like Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol @ NY Times

How do you gently caress up an article on a speech?

• Locked thread