Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I know there is precedence in other countries for punishing political parties that promote direct voter intimidation. I think that at some point when Democrats regain and the House and the Senate they should consider taking up legislation that directly and punitively punishes parties with candidates that make statements like this that result in major intimidation at the polls with specific handicaps and limitations on their operations for a specific period of time following said elections.

I know in some cases in South America, Southeast Asia, and Africa parties have been banned from running a presidential candidate in the following Presidential Elections for things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Isn't it crazy that the US is going to become the last bastion of Liberal Multiculturalism while the rest of the world gets taken over by rabid racists and segregationists?

It's almost like we're fulfilling the fate foretold at the very founding of this nation.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Josef bugman posted:

It's one of the unexpected consequences of people living longer.

Though I am not sure it will stick, all this has happened before and will happen again.

I want it to become a national mantra like Manifest Destiny and the Monroe Doctrine.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Well, I don't know. it looks like 35-40% of the US voters are literally going to vote for a fascist sometime in the next 3 months, I'd say that ranks pretty highly up there on the 'world is hosed' list, even if he doesn't win.

That number is going to be 40%-60% in most of Europe sooner than you would like.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Holy gently caress Spain - the most liberal european country. Also amongst the most racist. Wow.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Josef bugman posted:

Wasn't manifest destiny a really bad thing?

It was a unquestioned part of our national identity and policy.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Epic High Five posted:

Like the best case scenario for a lot of Europe right now is a wave of Reagan clones coming in and gutting everything and dooming multiple generations to scrabble and pray for 1/10th of what the current EU citizens are enjoying. Worst case scenario should be pretty obvious.

Europe is just too loving white to prevent fascists from gutting the place. Plus most refuse to acknowledge the rise of authoritarianism because lmao, that's an American thing

Truly their best hope is Angela Merkel coming up with a way to expand her power throughout the EU and her type of politics preventing the rise of nationalism and racism. But the ship has sailed on that one.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
The United States is a nation built on a moral imperative: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Europe is made up of nations that were built on the imperative of inequality - many of them continue to be constitutional monarchies - the very fabric of their existence continues to be based around the concept that there are people who are born inherently superior to others. It is no surprise then that the only country with similar values to our own (France) is the one with the highest rate of foreigners in it.

America is not perfect and our history is not perfect but it is our destiny - and it is something built in our history - all the ugly and beautiful parts of it - that our nation's core values - and something that will never be removed - are diversity, equality, and liberty. We've fought internal wars over these topics - and we may fight them again if we have to. But the motto and core values of our nation shall remain for it would be better that United States of America perish from the face of the earth than it's name be sullied by the loss of these moral imperatives.

That's what the Gettysburg Address is about in fact.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Look at this American exceptionalism crap

Also Europeans are a lot less racist than Americans. Just look at any statistics of cops blowing away minorities and getting away with it.

e: phoneposting

I would say that's mostly due to cultural differences. Police in Europe are trained in a completely different way and have a completely different mentality; primarily because they've existed for a lot longer and had a completely different role for most of their history than the law keepers in the United States. The current police attitudes and strategies are continuances of mentalities that were developed during the years of westward expansion and the rise of the wild-west.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Lightning Knight posted:

Oof, what? American police are the natural evolution of and have inherited the original sin of the institutions that were used and abused to keep slavery in power. You can basically draw a straight line from Columbus -> colonization and genocide of the Native Americans -> importation of African slaves to replace them -> creation of institutional and military power to keep slaves in check, division among the elite over who gets profits from slavery and what direction slavery goes in terms of use and investment -> Civil War as manifestation of rich Northern industrialists who stand to profit off of abolition versus rich Southern aristocrats who profit off its continuation -> segregation replacing slavery, wage slavery and oppression used to keep black people down -> desegregation leading to white flight and backlash, modern America scarred from centuries of slavery and trying to support the weight of a permanent underclass it refuses to help rise up. Modern American police are just an extension of all that and the reason they're so racist as an institution is because they were literally created to protect the white, rich ruling class from black slaves and disaffected non-slave owning poor white people.

Yes - And?

This still has nothing to do with Europe police being less racist. Europe police just exist for different purposes and are less violent in general. Europe countries put less people in jail. Does Europe even have a sex offender registry? How exactly do they keep all the child rapists at bay? Well...considering what we know about Jimmy Saville it sounds like they simply don't.

If we want to go into policing and justice system diferences between europe and the usa we're going to have to eventually get to Italy, Amanda Knox, and a million other topics I really don't want to go into. This isn't a good point to argue on.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
From what I understand the level of inequality in many countries in Europe (especially England) is worse and the wealth of the leading politicians are higher and they all come from very rich families - there's no chance of a Joe Biden or even a John McCain ever getting elected there for example.

And that fits really well into the Saville scandal - and the conspiracy theories running around the same time about occultic child sex rings that serviced key politicians in England.

The Europeans may be more class aware - but their classes don't exactly have more power than ours do. In fact I'd say in many ways they are worse off.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

axe_vendetta posted:

Integenerational social mobility is something you can measure objectively, and the US has low mobility compared to most European countries. You may be correct regarding the mobility of the actual politcal class, though, but in America the amount of donations required to become a realistic contender means that any politicians must be supported by a group of wealthy donors - the candidate herself is just the tip of the iceberg. In the UK, political donations are significantly lower than America even given the smaller size of the population and the economy.

I don't see that article covering England. I feel that Denmark/Sweden/Norway/Finland all really offset how bad things are in England/Spain/Italy.

Also the cited report only goes up until 93. So it misses out on the wealth generated during the Clinton Boom and Bushes somewhat healthy economy; and the recent rises. From what I understand the Middle Class is getting demolished - but a lot of those people are moving into the upper class. I heard something like out of every 3 people moving from the middle class to another class 2 are going into the upper classes and 1 into the lower classes. And of course the middle classes and lower classes are getting as poor as ever but that's a interesting statistic to say the least.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao if you believe there will ever be room for Einsenhower-style Conservatism in the Republican party again.

Was Eisenhower even conservative? Didn't he build the highway system and forcibly integrate the army and little rock high school?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What refugees have we accepted into the US? Come back when the US starts taking in refugees at the level the Europeans have and then we can a proper talk about taking down to other countries about how accepting we are of them.

Oh wait, you're too loving racist to do even just that. Canada has taken more than the US has. We should be ashamed of ourselves for it.

DUDE. OUR COUNTRY IS LITERALLY MADE UP OF YOUR NATIONS REFUGEES.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
We have over 10 million refugee latin americans in the United States and guy is going on about us not accepting refugees. Jesus christ.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

axe_vendetta posted:

There's a lot of data out there on the internet about social mobility. Almost all of it shows that America compares poorly with most countries in Europe, although the United Kingdom is often rated equally as bad or worse than the US. I'd be interested in a source for your statistic about people moving from the middle class because AFAIK the upper classes in the last decade have seen the greatest increase in income compared with all other classes.

According to this report from a supposedly liberal think tank.

quote:

The most spectacular change involved the explosion of the upper middle class (incomes from $100,000 to $349,999). It grew from 12.9 percent of Americans in 1979 to 29.4 percent in 2014 — from 1 in 8 U.S. households to more than 1 in 4. The rich ($350,000 in income or more) went from 0.1 percent of households to 1.8 percent in 2014. If these two groups are combined, nearly one-third of Americans have incomes exceeding $100,000. (Note: All these thresholds apply to three-person households; income levels are adjusted for differences in household size.)

Meanwhile, the poorer segments of the population declined. The poor and near-poor (less than $29,999 of income) dropped from 24.3 percent of the population in 1979 to 19.8 percent in 2014. The lower middle class ($30,000 to $49,999) fell from 23.9 percent to 17.1 percent, and the middle class ($50,000 to $99,999) decreased from 38.8 percent to 32 percent.

All in all, it’s an important story. “The growth in the rich and upper middle class and the declining proportion of the population in the middle and lower classes indicate widespread economic growth between 1979 and 2014,” writes Rose.

The poor are still poorer then ever before but there are way less of them than before.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

As for Muslims specifically, there's just as much if not more Muslim hate here in the US because every time a mass shooting happens D&D starts a circle prayer group hoping it isn't a Muslim.

Lol no there isn't you don't know just how bad racism is against muslims in most of Europe.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
The guy forgets that last time the Syrian Refugees became a big issues there were mayors of several cities signing up and say send em here and most american people want them.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

fishmech posted:

Sure is weird that they measure class based on the same nominal incomes when 100,000 1979 dollars is 330,000 2015 dollars due to inflation.

They may have adjusted for inflation idk.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Yesterday we were talking about how racist Europe is compared to America. Just to prove my point and pull it all together here's a quote from a book about Bill Clinton and the Bosnian War/Siege of Sarajevo.

quote:

Clinton said U.S. allies in Europe blocked proposals to adjust or remove the embargo. They justified their opposition on plausible humanitarian grounds, arguing that more arms would only fuel the bloodshed, but privately, said the president, key allies objected that an independent Bosnia would be "unnatural" as the only Muslim nation in Europe. He said they favored the embargo precisely because it locked in Bosnia's disadvantage. [..] When I expressed shock at such cynicism, reminiscent of the blind-eye diplomacy regarding the plight of Europe's Jews during World War II, President Clinton only shrugged. He said President François Mitterrand of France had been especially blunt in saying that Bosnia did not belong, and that British officials also spoke of a painful but realistic restoration of Christian Europe. Against Britain and France, he said, German chancellor Helmut Kohl among others had supported moves to reconsider the United Nations arms embargo, failing in part because Germany did not hold a seat on the U.N. Security Council.

Europe is so racist that they let a genocide go on in their own loving continent against Muslims because they were Muslims. In the 19 loving 90s.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This is all a bunch of hearsay from a guy who decided not to intervene in Rwanda.

If you read the book it's all about Clintons foreign policy experience. Republican congress was the one pushing against being involved overseas trying to pass laws demanding we pull out of Somalia after Black Hawk Down and pushing against involvement in Sarajevo.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Reading the last 5-10 pages, it occurred to me that people have some really weird ideas about Europe. Keep in mind that there are very large differences between Western and Eastern Europe (much larger than between the individual states in the US), so what i wrote below might not be accurate for all European countries, but certainly Western European ones, and most likely at a general European levels. Also keep in mind that rankings are generally terrible, because the take a (usually) complex and nuanced phenomenon and reduces it to a single number, and in addition ranks might rank one thing over another, even though the differences are minute, or barely can be said to be differences in reality.

Anyway, social mobility is without a doubt lower in the US than it is in general in Europe. I realize this can be somewhat provocative, seeing as the American Dream narrative is so strong, but it's the truth regardless, social mobility (while trending downwards) is higher in most European countries. The US definitely has more income inequality than most European countries. The US consistently have more poor people than most of Europe (there are a lot of different measures for this, all of them can be critiqued rather heavily, but at best, the US can be compared to poorly ranking European countries). The US education is at best on par with Europe, but (again lotsa different measures), probably lower ranked, and at the very least tend to spend less on eduction than most European countries. The US ranks below most of Western Europe when it comes to democratization, but higher than eastern-southern Europe. The US ranks as a middle of the road European country when it comes to happiness and when it comes to freedom of the press. People in Europe generally have more money to spend (that is, purchasing power) the US is about between a western and a Southern European country, when it comes to how much money do individual people actually have in comparison to what things cost. The US has a vastly higher incarceration (and execution) rate, even above many dictatorial hellholes. The US healthcare system ranks lower than most European ones (this one is also hard to measure), also has somewhat lower life expectancies. Murder and violent crime is a lot higher in the US (also traffic fatalities, per capita, per capita and per vehicle-km).

I'm actually not writing this to poo poo on the US, just to clear up some of the confusion there seems to be about Europe. There are plenty of aspects where the US is doing way better than Western Europe, for example personal and economic freedom, the US ranks lower than a couple of European countries, but higher than many. GNP, military, etc. is stronger for the US and racism/discrimination is much, much lower in the US (though it's not as overt in Europe as some here seem to think, no one in politics are actually calling themselves racists or nazis or anything, outside the very radical fringe. The new style of neo-nazism is much more tv friendly, and present these selves as just being very concerned about their countries proud 'culture', and the economic impact of immigration, etc.).

Going back to this. If you look at the ranking of top Universities worldwide there are only 2 European ones in the top 10 and of the top 50 something like 35-38 are American.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Does it have a part where Madeline Albright has some nice and totally not racist things to say about the Serbs?

Considering they were committing genocide against Muslim Bosniaks?

Do you guys get mad about American forces in WW2 calling the Japanese Japs and the Germans Krauts?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I don't go around comparing Serbs to the Japanese or Nazis, tbqh. That is a very misleading historical depiction of what actually went down in the Balkans. And I certainly don't go around accusing the major Europeans powers of aiding and abetting their genocide.

But they did. Right there it states that they didn't want a non-christian state to exist in Europe.

The leaders of Europe did not act against genocide because the people being killed were Muslims. It's as simple as that.

And are you calling Clintons intervention in the Balkans as Botched? Lol.

He should of intervened sooner and further and we should if intervened in Rwanda too. If he had I'm sure you'd have called that botched too.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Also there were nearly 100,000 Bosnian Muslims killed during the Genocide and war and 500 Serbians killed in the NATO/US Intervention but yeah - that was a botched plan.

And it was Bill Clinton - not the leaders of Europe standing up for the ethnic religious minority.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Bill Clinton wasn't even in power until after Bosnia was recognized as state by the EEC and admitted to the UN. You got basic facts mixed up.

By the Pentagon, no less- not the Europeans.

How?

And people forget it today but back then that set the bad precedent of being the first NATO intervention ever. That's a terrible legacy to leave behind.

You know the Pentagon is a entity that functions independently of the President right?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

I can't tell if these are jokes or not.

It's so crazy that 4chan went from the rear end in a top hat of the internet to basically creating a national political philosophy that is running a election on a major party platform in about 12 years.

neoliberal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 27, 2016

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

ImpAtom posted:

There are people who use 'trigger warning' in a lovely way. That doesn't devalue the concept of warning someone that you're about to discuss heavy poo poo and give them the chance to politely excuse themselves or prepare themselves beforehand. It's really annoying whenever someone goes (BAD THING HAPPENED) = IDEA WORTHLESS. It just means someone is being dumb about it. Don't get into the same sort of mindset that grumbles about WELFARE QUEENS or whatever.

Well I disagree I think people need to forcibly be exposed to how corrupt and horrid mankind can be in brutal ways and that's the only way we can prevent those kind of events can ever happen again.

What I'm saying is Saving Private Ryan should be required screening for every kindergarten.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
It's funny that the alt-right goes on and on about how white people are not allowed to be proud about their culture.

White isn't a culture. There's no such thing as cultural whiteness.
Irish, German, British, those are all cultures
America - that's a culture
There are plenty of white people proud of their irish, german, british heritage or proud to be american - they are allowed to be proud

But proud to be White isn't a loving culture.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Exposing people to negative things "in brutal ways" frequently backfires, because education is complicated and nuanced. If you do it wrong you just desensitize people and end up with goons. Any educational strategy targeted at getting an audience to accept an uncomfortable truth has to be prepared to work through the stages of denial the student is likely to go through. Look how many times patient conversations about racism here have been met with a reflexive "So you're saying I'm evil because I'm white??!?"

One of the many horrible things about the workings of the human mind is that when someone sees something terrible happening to another person, the instinct is to assume they had it coming somehow. The worse the punishment, the more the victim must have had it coming. So if you just throw images of human suffering at students with no context all you're doing is creating another batch of Just-World shitheads. Not a great use of taxpayer dollars imo.

My actual goal was making the world worse. gently caress humanity. The world would be better off if we committed specicide.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Lightning Knight posted:

Whatever happened to Joementum? Did he die? :ohdear:

better yet where's joe the plumber?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

If I met this man I would physically attack him and possibly murder him. He pisses me off more than Donald Trump does. Donald Trump is just over the top crazy to the point you can barely take him seriously. This guy....this loving guy.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Necroskowitz posted:

Why does REUTERS/IPSOS have Trump up by 14 in New Hampshire? That's a 15 point difference from their last poll a week or so ago.

I personally follow this thread on reddit (they make a new one every week or so) sort it by new they cover every single legitimate poll and delve into the crosstabs and all that analysis

The top post in response to Reuters releasing a bunch of new polling says the following

quote:

Can we just agree that Reuters is completely bullshit at this point? Trump doing 27 points worse than everyone else is projecting in Alabama and West Virginia? Clinton doing better in Nebraska than in Wisconsin? Trump gaining 15 points in one week in New Hampshire, 11 points in one week in Missouri, and 6 points in one week in Idaho? Clinton gaining 12 points in one week in Alabama, 19 points in one week in Nebraska, 9 points in one week in South Carolina, and 7 points in one week in Pennsylvania? Really?

I agree. Their poll makes zero sense.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
You know Clinton lost 11 points week to week on a Reuter tracking poll that was released today.

All these tracking polls are giving absolutely bizarre numbers

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Crows Turn Off posted:

Link? I've seen people chat about it but haven't seen it yet.

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_DS_13/filters/LIKELY:1/dates/20160730-20160830/type/day

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Jesus - I hope nieto has no political aspirations after 2018 because Trump is probably the most hated person in all of Latin America and there will be protests out the wazoo especially in the DF.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

awesmoe posted:

It's reassuring to see chaos still reigns

The angle he might be going for is to stare Nieto down and tell him to his face that theres gonna be a wall, you'll pay for it, you need to stop sending your rapists and murderers and instead you should send your best, blah blah blah then come back and tell his base about it

Of course the other hot take (given the invite came from Nieto recently - not months ago, I misunderstood) - is that Nieto is trying to bury local news and trump is just playing into it because he's...not very good at this.

e: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/770811688966770689

LOL this reminds me of who they had Sarah Palin meet with in 2008 to tout her foreign policy chops...Alvaro Uribe.

Shame it wasn't Trump instead It would of been insane to see him go head to head with an actual proto-fascist manipulative monster.

Wait Trump is going to travel to Mexico in less than 24 hours?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Actually if recent history is any precedent he's going to travel from Washington (state) to New York to Mexico to Arizona to New York in less than 24 hours

And they call us wetbacks!

http://www.badum-tish.com/

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Pellisworth posted:

I don't really know much about Mexican politics but is there a chance Pena-Nieto would offer vague support for a Trump border wall? Obviously not suggesting Mexico pay for it because that's not going to fly politically, but could he make an anti-cartel and border security argument? Then Trump can fly back to NY with the smug satisfaction he's "struck a deal" about the border wall and gotten some vague support from Pena-Nieto. He makes the best deals.

Also, is it against any laws or tradition for nominees to be meeting with foreign heads of state? Seems a bit unusual and suggests influence or meddling of other nations in domestic politics.

If he want's to get assassinated sure.

I mean compare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_conflict Which has lasted the past 50 years

to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War which has lasted around 10

neoliberal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, privately. Aside from some lip service or when he was demonstrating that he's not a secret muslim it wasn't "in your face" like it is in the Hillary campaign. "Vote for me because I love Jesus" is not something a democrat should be saying at the national level. It's gross.

What's wrong with loving Jesus?

• Locked thread