Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

They know enough to know what Trump is saying and doing is wrong, and yet they are still supporting him.

Why? Because we are never compelled by our ideals like we are by our loves. And when you look at Donald Trump through the shared loves of the evangelical Culture, he starts to make perfect sense.

Evangelicals don’t believe in Donald Trump as much as they love Donald Trump and all that Donald Trump represents. Watch these rallies and you will quickly see they have nothing to do with inspiring ideas and hopeful policies; they’re worship services. And standing on the stage before the great throng of longing souls is the manifestation of their common love feeding their hungry hearts with his nonsense.

Holy poo poo

These are great until you read the comments and realize that they're all variations on "you're not a true Catholic if you vote for any party that supports abortion" or "no see Trump is totally not racist because..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Since emailgate will be back in the news for a bit, I have a question.

Comey said that although they have no proof that her server was hacked, they do seem to think that it's possible that the people she e-mailed got hacked. Assuming that's true...how exactly is that Hillary's fault exactly?

hillary bad

why ask question further, you commie

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Couple pages back but yeah never read comment sections.

Always read comment sections. That's what the religious right actually believe, don't let yourself be fooled or forget it. Read the comment sections, let them fuel your rage and keep you focused.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I wonder how far behind Vegas is on those odds. I bet I can place a sweet bet.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Isn't that like an organized crime thing?

No that's a "business as usual in China" thing

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Don't be deceptive. 'Trickle down' economics do not involve taxes. Levying taxes on the people who reap the largesse of trade deals and turning those taxes in to social service is not trickle-down but shake-down economics.

It's a good thing the US is so well known for taxing high income earners and using that additional money to provide social safety nets for the poor, otherwise this could be a big mess!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Taxing high income earners and creating social safety nets is politically difficult, but not nearly as much as preventing trade from happening

So just say gently caress it and give a handout to big business then?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

no, we shouldn't do that, we should demand that big businesses give their money to poor people. this would make trade, an inevitable part of the 21st century economy, into a completely good thing

Okay, but it is politically infeasible to do so because of the broken nature of our political system. If TPP is only good when we are able to refocus some of that wealth into providing for the negatively affected, what is it when we are unable to do so? The opposite of good? Is there a word for that?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

what i'm saying is that they're wrong that limiting trade is more possible than expanding the social safety net, and it's the other way around

haha okay buddy

you heard it here first, folks

increasing taxes and providing social safety nets in the united states of america is easy

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We are seeing a generational shift coming so this may not be as implausible as you think

I definitely see it happening in the future but the fact of the matter is right now we still have a red house. With Clinton we get a liberal Supreme Court, great. We can potentially end Gerrymandered districts and rehear a campaign finance reform case that will overrule Citizens United. But passing new additional restrictions is going to require a friendly house and that's not going to happen for a while.

You screw over the little guy now with a vague promise that things will get better in the future. That's a good way to piss off the young voter base you're trying to build.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

TPP as written is mediocre with bad provisions but free trade is literally an unstoppable Pandora's box and the negative side effects of it are able to be mitigated by things like labor laws and environmental regulation. Some leftists think protectionism and anti-free trade are better bets than those things, and they will be sad when they realize they're wrong.

Yeah, you can pass environmental regulations and labor laws! In the United States! With a Republican House!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the social safety nets we have work well, we just need way more of them

and outsourcing (which the TPP facilitates) necessarily hurts people in the outsourced jobs unless there's a redistribution to help those people

Yeah except that may never loving happen. You cannot institute social safety nets in the US in the current political climate. Full stop. Eventually the house might go blue but it's not happening any time soon.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we can't expand the social safety net at all then why do you think we can stop free trade deals either

I don't think we should stop free trade deals, I'm just pointing out that the posters who claim "We can fix the shortfalls of free trade by doing X" completely gloss over the fact that doing 'X' isn't going to loving happen

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if X isn't going to happen, stopping trade really isn't going to loving happen, so X is still our best option from a variety of lovely options

Gotcha. I can agree with this.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Kilroy posted:

If you're so loving worried about all this freelance propaganda work he's doing for the Russians then how about supporting a deal whereby he can return to the US without having his brains blown out and dumped off a bridge somewhere?

While I agree with you in theory, you're crazy if you think they would just let him walk onto a plane headed towards the US. Snowden almost certain lives in a gilded cage.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its almost as if wind is a piece of a whole in a renewable energy world

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

He wishes really hard.

Isn't 1% "only" like 200-300k a year? He's definitely in there.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Then there are those people who kind of realize that thinks are hosed up and that business and government tend to collude a lot, so they turn to libertarianism as a kind of 'babies first ideology'. Either they stay in a bubble of middle class privilege and are never challenged on the specifics of their beliefs, turning into Penn Jillette style weirdos, or, after getting hosed over by the private sector enough, they either grow out of it or evolve into radical leftists.

my life story.txt

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

And preemption isn't something that should be taken lightly or applied liberally.

Actually it should be. States rights should be crushed like a bug under a boot.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Quandary posted:

Gonna need a Spotify playlist of these ASAP.

It's up there already

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

iospace posted:

A lot of them want V8 power, which the police chargers are. Rental Spec chargers are usually V6s. Tauruses are Twin Turbo V6s which make 350+ HP, but it's ~not a V8~, so whatever (it's also AWD, no clue if the Charger is though).

I'm going to buy the poo poo out of a police auction Taurus in like 5 years

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Whoops

http://gawker.com/ivanka-trump-hanging-out-in-croatia-with-vladimir-putin-1785290129

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

I don't necessarily agree. I think the problem wasn't that the same material was covered, it's that it was covered from essentially the same angle. Remember that Stewart and Colbert were essentially doing the same thing as well, the difference is that Colbert began his show by covering it from the angle of a Bill O'Reilly style host (I say began because Colbert became his own thing in the years after).

It would also help if either of them were funny.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Augus posted:

I seriously can't tell if this is made by liberals trolling Trump supporters or a genuine attempt by Trump supporters to make it look like Trump is winning Florida in a landslide.

It's a troll. Swap the party and candidate names and reread it.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

...if you swap the party and candidate names, it becomes completely nonsense, what are you talking about

quote:

STRATEGY IMPLICATIONS:
It is of paramount importance that the Hillary Clinton campaign continue to promote the narrative that Trump is or has reached terminal levels in polling. The only number in this survey going in the right direction is the belief that Mr. Trump will lose the election...Liberal/Democratic voters are fortunately immune to any negative information or evidence against Mrs. Clinton. Apparently her lack of honesty and corrupt nature are “factored in” to her support. Our recommendations are to keep her out of the public eye as much as possible

quote:

STRATEGY IMPLICATIONS:
It is of paramount importance that the Donald Trump campaign continue to promote the narrative that Clinton is or has reached terminal levels in polling. The only number in this survey going in the right direction is the belief that Mrs. Clinton will lose the election...Conservative/Republican voters are fortunately immune to any negative information or evidence against Mr. Trump. Apparently his lack of honesty and corrupt nature are “factored in” to his support. Our recommendations are to keep him out of the public eye as much as possible

Doesn't work throughout the whole thing, obviously.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yessssss

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Philly ain't Yinzer country :colbert:

You gotta get past Harrisburg to hit Yinzer country

Yinzer's proudest achievement is putting fries on sandwiches

Musicals =! Operas

And slaw

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Woah 500 posts in the USPOL thread. Trump must have done someth...

:stare:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

:perfect:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Hey, you can always shut your cockholster anytime.

Nice meltdown

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Kalman posted:

You are free to use inferior cheaper alternatives.

But hey maybe when someone does something hard they should be rewarded for it? And this turned out to be something hard to do.

What's it like being a sociopath?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Re drug chat:

Is there a reason we don't have a testing and certification procedure for foreign made pharmaceuticals? Besides lobbying.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

berserker posted:

Are they forgetting that Ford was a huge racist and Nazi sympathizer?

Nah, it's probably a huge plus for them.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

I honestly have this stance but I keep questioning whether it's right or not because of how absolutist it is.

However I cannot think of a single Republican policy, one which is not bipartisan in some way, that would help society.

Nope. They are objectively, demonstrably incorrect on every major issue.

Want a better economy? Don't vote republican.

Less abortions? Don't vote republican.

Decrease the national debt? Guess who you shouldn't be voting for.

Being a republican is like saying 2 + 2 = 5.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yes, do it. Eat yourselves.

• Locked thread