Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Shortest Path posted:

What kind of sick gently caress eats KFC on an airplane with a fork and knife?

the same type of person who does an ad for pizza hut? this isn't his first fast food gig, bub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Arrgytehpirate posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/04/politics/pence-trump-question-young-boy/index.html

This kid is a champion! He asked a better question than like 90% of journalist and he's only 11! CNN should hire him as a talking head obviously.

Nah, CNNs kryptonite is good journalism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mountaineer posted:

A simple reubttal is to say "Actually the Democrats were just mocking this thing Trump did:" and then link the taco bowl tweet. It's not going to change any minds of course, but the response could be interesting.

Speaking of things that are being misrepresented, what's the latest on Hillary saying she'll raise taxes on the middle class? I just assumed she misspoke, but I see people claiming her campaign has not corrected or retracted the statement. However, her official tax plan, which does not raise middle class taxes, does not seem to have been changed.

Making 5 million dollars a year is "middle class" now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hollismason posted:

It's weird that police body cameras don't work but I can watch someone's GoPro video of them falling down a mountain.

I have killed a GoPro Hero HD, the original HD variant.

I bought it in 2010 and it has sat in the sun for countless hours and has been overheated more than a few times; however, it wasn't the heat that killed it. A suboptimal mounting solution and years of vibrations killed it. Years of 80+mph driving and bouncing off of FIA curbing killed it.

You have to actively try to make these things stop working. Alternatively, you can just not turn it on. Occam's razor is a motherfucker.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

hcreight posted:

Two of them are Stephens. :colbert:

Stephes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CannonFodder posted:

Zybourne Clock never became a game but it still brings a smile to my face whenever I see a Johnny 5 Aces reference.

It's in New Vegas, I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Warcabbit posted:

CBS News, which is very Fox Lite since the new head, had Major Garrett on, reporting on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Garrett

Garrett said basically, 'Well, he didn't go off message and the protesters didn't disrupt him. Which is what we expect from a House or Senate candidate. Good for him. But President requires higher standards.'
It may not be an exact quote, but it's essentially correct as to what he said and the tone he had.
'The speech content? Well, it's the same the House Republicans have been giving, which means he's not bringing anything new to the table here.'

The general summation I'm getting is 'He didn't poo poo his pants, which is more than anyone expected. That's kind of disturbing, really.'
Nobody was impressed, and nobody was impressed by the content, either.

If Palin was handled with kid gloves and was graded on a curve, I have zero idea what to call how Trump is being handled.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

lmao

Aren't these fuckers the ones always whining about shadowy organizations up to no good?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Doomtalker posted:

This is why the thread title stays.

Also lol. November will be such a blowout, if this is all we have to Arzy over.

I was talking with a few friends way before Trump was locked in, etc. about how it's the dream that the GOP being dysfunctional leads to down ticket races flipping D and Democrats somehow take the House. Like I said, it's the pipe dream "wouldn't it be cool if" scenario where I have better odds of winning the lottery.

A short few months later it's gone from crazy rear end pipe dream to "unlikely, but possible".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Precambrian posted:

You know how some libertarian nerds fantasize about how they'll be the kings of the wasteland once the zombie apocalypse or whatever happens? Accelerationists are the left's equivalent. Society is strangling my innate ideological power, so once society is gone, my utopia will emerge.

Eh, it's more of shitlords who have adopted a very strange definition of the word "compromise".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also, no matter how much we panic here, Trump will not start WW3. He would be incredibly damaging, but there are enough checks and balances that he would not actually guide us into oblivion.

Voting for him just means you are callously uncaring towards millions of people who will be worse off.

I was about to write "gently caress you", but then again, when the nukes drop there won't be anyone to fight. At all.

This clown asked (unprompted) three times about nuclear launch codes in a 1 hour meeting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Schizotek posted:

Ugh, I hate living in South Florida. Good to see that this level of saturation isn't a nationwide thing, but still. I sometimes feel like I'm living in some sort of Truman Show-esque lab experiment down here.

I can't wait for the 2050 Season of the S. Florida Show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

I honestly don't think that's what happened, I think he just walks around with a vacant genial smile on his face 24/7 like every Mormon missionary I've ever seen.

He got asked a question after his dumb press statement, turned on his heel and walked away while smirking.

There is no charitable light to shine on this particular moment. The spectrum goes from bad to worse depending on how favorable you are with R-Money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Meanwhile in Virginia, Trump is blowing hard about how the media loves to spin these webs of fabrication. :waycool:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

"Lone wolf" etc.

*shitlords drape the Gadsden flag over a cop they just murdered*

"Yeah well uh, we can't say with any certainty what type of political affiliation these lone wolf individuals may subscribe to"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

This is going to eventually wind up in front of SCOTUS, right? Like this poo poo's been going on for almost a decade now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

This opinion is correct. Hate the outcome all you want, but the opinion is right based on the law

the law.... that the loving telcos wrote for the legislators. 1/10

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

I might be mistaken, but I don't think telco companies invented federalism

Be mad at Sandra day occonor i guess

Wilson, NC went to a few telcos (TWC and Charter, iirc) and asked politely "hey, we're expanding at a decent rate. Could you please put some new copper in the ground?"

The telcos went "Nope".

So the town of Wilson had a referendum, implemented a small tax, and ran fiber everywhere. In 2007, in the heart of the state capital (and tech sector), you could get speeds of up to TEN WHOLE MEGABITS PER SECOND!!!! In Wilson, a mere 50 minutes away, you could get 100 down/100 up.

Time Warner in particular wasn't too happy, sent some legislation to the NC assembly that said that no municipality can roll their own internet service unless if they have the funds up front to make it profitable from day 1 because "it's unfair". Their argument was that there is absolutely no way for a telco to compete with a local government because the local government doesn't have an incentive to produce a profit.

So a law was passed because TWC decided that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, and to also prevent other villages, towns, and cities to not get any funny ideas.

Oh, fun fact: as soon as Google Fiber was announced in the area, everyone was automagically upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 in record time because Time Warner Cable is there for you, the customer. You know, not because they're trying to be competitive with 300/20 for $100/mo vs 1000/1000 for $70.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

That's a great story. Court's opinion even addresses it

Read the opinion

Yeah, I did. It boils down to "Well, the FCC didn't explicitly tell Telco A or Telco B to, quote, 'eat poo poo and die'; therefore, the millions of dollars the telcos have been blowing on preventing municipal-run broadband needs to be justified somehow~~"

It's a bad, chickenshit opinion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

You're an idiot. It has nothing to do with the FCC decision, but how much power congress granted to the Fcc when it passed the 1996 telecommunications act.

Read it again

Yeah, Congress' power level wasn't over 9000.

Let's give the telcos the benefit of the doubt, they have a long, rich history of never being a bunch of ratfuckers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea I'm sure they pulled a well known cannon of construction and a 25 year old Supreme Court case out of the air to base their decision on.

Also lol at complaining that a loving federal appeals court is "rules lawyering".

You're defending telcos who are upset that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Like sending you to the gulag is out of the question, I banish you to 10 years of calling up Comcast customer support.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

My favorite thing about Trump supporters is they don't know they're losing.

Oh, they know that they're losing. They're just that dril tweet in physical form.

E: that dril tweet
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

They don't have to find a clear statement for what it does or doesn't allow or require. They just have to see if there is a clear statement for what the fcc wants to do. If you say 2+2=6, I don't have to tell you what it really equals to say you are wrong. To preempt a traditional state right, such as home rule, it must be a clear intention of congress to do so. The 1996 act doesn't have this clear statement. Sorry.

Do you disagree with this?

Also bitch all you want. Internet/telco should be a regulated public utility, but it isn't. Laws aren't invalid because they interfere if your full communism now fantasies

What is your actual stance?

You're pulling this WELL RULES ARE RULES, AND THE SUPREMACY CLAUSE dance, while mentioning that poo poo sucks and Internet communism isn't in the cards.

You're extremely keen on ignoring the part that the laws passed preventing municipalities from rolling their own fiber was straight up written by the telcos. You've ignored that part every single time in order to focus about how in 1996 Congress didn't explicitly tell the FCC that they can bring down the hammer.

I'm seriously drawing a blank on how you're arriving at "well the law is the law!" when the crux of the issue is "hey, telcos are writing laws to curb public competition, what the gently caress?" Yeah, hats off to the telcos, they somehow can afford a bunch of lawyers to perpetually keep this in the courts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

computer parts posted:

It is actually not illegal for an organization to suggest or even straight up write a law, so long as it passes the usual legal channels (legislature, executive, etc).

Oh yeah, I know that it isn't illegal and that it happens all of the time. It still doesn't mean that it isn't a bad law the same way that organizations try to police morality through regressive things like NC's own HB2.

Like TWC should at least have a veneer of not being 100% invested and involved when writing the NC law specifically singling out Internet infrastructure; however, plausible deniability isn't exactly popular these days.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 11, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

computer parts posted:

You're basically asking the courts to police laws with morality though.

Like exactly what precedent is being set? Too much association with corporations nullifies a law? Is it groups in general? Does a law proposed by a veterans group that aids veterans get similarly struck down?

How many times did Ma Bell go to court until it was broken up?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

computer parts posted:

Did breaking up Ma Bell actually change anything?

Remember, all it did was turn a national monopoly into a few regional monopolies. Unless you were physically moving hundreds of miles, you wouldn't notice a difference.

I would say not particularly outside of providing a case where the DOJ can, and will, break a monopoly if they become too much like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Now regional monopolies are using the legal and court systems to stifle competition. These companies were asked to please put new copper in the ground and they said "No." They created this "problem" because it's going to affect this quarter's margins and that is Not Acceptable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Because of course

Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ReidRansom posted:

My first move would have been to call the police, not people higher up in the campaign, but that's just me maybe

You know what they say about snitches, right?

They get their knees blown out by a .45

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Luigi Thirty posted:

There were originally Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis, Southwestern Bell, and US West.

Bell Atlantic bought NYNEX in 1997 and GTE in 2000 to become Verizon.

Southwestern Bell bought Pacific Telesis, Ameritech, its old parent AT&T, and BellSouth. It's now AT&T.

(US West was bought by Qwest who were bought by CenturyLink.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Buckley was a straight up Monarchist and Nazi

Stop calling me a crytponazi, you queer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Star Man posted:

You can't loving be serious.

Black Coal Matters

Is there anything that terrible white people won't co-opt?

No. The answer is "no".

Black Lives Matter has spawned:
- All Lives Matter
- Blue Lives Matter
- Black Coals Matter

What else?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I'll give Deus Ex a pass on this one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gail Wynand posted:

This is almost as dumb as when people went after them for using the term "mechanical apartheid" and it turned out that a French African dude came up with it

I'm not 100% tracking on this one. Are you saying that Deus Ex using Aug Lives Matter and Mechanical Apartheid is fine/not offensive? I personally think it's slightly gross for using BLM as the template, but it's fairly obvious that it isn't a thin coat of paint like with All/Blue/Coal/Ball "spin offs".

I actually don't have a strong attachment to the games, I just know that they're mechanically robust and the narratives being told are head and shoulders above most video game scripts.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's great when sci-fi is all like "What if racism happened to robots? Wouldn't think it was so great then, would you?"

It's even greater when morons find out that most sci-fi are allegories for contemporary problems/issues and whine that "social skeleton warriors are ruining my sci-fi".

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cards Against Humanity is fun until it isn't.

That's my piping hot take.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dunno man i play games to entertain myself and friends, not to launch the revolution. maybe this is why i deserve the reeducation camp

watch this get spun as "yeah well you play racist games with your cracker friends"

real talk, it's weird seeing you post in the rimworld thread.

double real talk, i want to play rimworld so bad, but I just moved and I have a bunch of stuff to do. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate CAH because when people play that I can't get anyone to play Catan

It sucks that there isn't a good Catan port outside of the XBLA version.

The Carcassonne iOS port is SO GOD drat GOOD. Ticket to Ride on iOS is also decent.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

iospace posted:

Hey Hispanics, it's the GOP! Vote for us!

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/765538778761064448

(spoilers: they won't)

I like how they went out of their way to address things that are near and dear to the Hispanic population's heart, such as:
- Benghazi
- Iraq
- Syria
- Boko Haram

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theflyingorc posted:

I think we've hit a new low for stupid conservative controversies: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/biden-does-the-unthinkable-with-nuke-codes-at-hillary-rally

How do they think the nuclear codes work? Do they think you can just steal them and launch the nukes yourself? Do they think it's just a big red button you can hit and the world ends?

the nuclear passcode is the letter 'a'

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Except for Trump

I have it on record that he has the one of the world's greatest memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dexo posted:

Because people often get sold that Microeconomic problems such as debt, are just as important to get rid of when you get to the macro level of economics.

lol @ u if you don't have a printing press in your basement

• Locked thread