Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
For the N64, you should buy Tetrisphere. It's one of the best games on the system and is usually dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Please add this to the OP with regards to VGA grading:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122034604912

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Link to the Past and the NES Zeldas use a CR2032 battery, right?

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 1, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I can just save my games on the cartridges themselves, no need to buy an extra memory card! :smug:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

That's how I got a SNES mini, Yoshi's Island, and some NCAA basketball game that's gonna end up as a flash cart for $60

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Now that DigitalFoundry has started doing retrospective stuff, I really hope they end up doing a face-off article about all the different versions of Doom.

Also I pulled the trigger and ordered a SFC copy of Super Mario Kart. I'll probably end up doing the same with Mario Kart 64, since the North America version of that game is ridiculously priced for how common it is.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, there were video games before 1985? That's just silly. Everyone knows that video games started when the NES was released in the US and not a moment before.

there was that one system that they used to have, the tengen 2600 or something like that

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cubey posted:

I really want a Colecovision, but it has become weirdly expensive for a system of that era. Maybe I'll look for a busted one and see if I can fix it, always kinda wanted to get into buying and fixing broken consoles anyhow.

The NES and N64 are probably the easiest places to start, the NES because its common ways of breaking are well known and relatively easy to fix. The N64 because 90% of the broken ones are just missing a jumper pack.

The consoles from the 80s are easier to deal with in terms of soldering and fixing the PCBs, since the PCB traces are bigger and the components are almost exclusively through-hole mount.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

Have you SEEN the price differences between Super Famicom and SNES games?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Caitlin posted:

New thread attracts new trash posters, hooray! :toot:

Enjoying this desk setup.

I like that you've got a picture of the best sailor scout next to your Famicom.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

I got my Elgato HD game capture today from Amazon. I played around a bit tonight with my GC connected and think I can get it going well. I don't know why, but I want to do some streams of 007 games to start with. I plan to start with Everything or Nothing for the GBA since I haven't played through it yet and I figure since it is a handheld game and shorter, its a good starting point. I really should drag my Retron5 down for better output, but I kinda like the idea of using my GB player via s-video... though that may look ugly on the stream... I dunno.

I think I will give it a test run on Thursday night after 10pm eastern but will really start streaming next week. Most likely Tuesday night because I will be busy with work until Monday afternoon, so feel free to watch me crash and burn in my attempt and laugh at me. Twitch username: fmb_streams

After that, I may do Everything or Nothing for PS2/Xbox, or maybe go through what I have in my collection chronologically starting with James Bond 007 for the 2600 (what a nonsensical and lovely game). I just need to redo the composite mod on my 2600, rewire the circuit and properly mount it inside since last time I fired it up a couple months ago, the image was dark and I noticed when I plugged in the AC adapter some nice blue sparks popped and sizzled where I plugged the adapter into the console, though I know I should plug into console first and then wall. Then move on to James Bond Jr for NES after that, I have a CIB version that I have never played.

There are some good and many mediocre-to-bad 007 games, I really wish they stepped it up with them. 007 Legends was probably my least favorite and hopefully did not kill any chances of new 007 games getting made.

Please tell me you have all those awful PSX games EA made after getting the rights to make Bond games after the success of Goldeneye.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

On Super FX carts, the cartridge shells have space for two metal clips by the additional PCB edge connectors the Super FX chip uses. My copy of Yoshi's Island has only one metal clip in it, is that normal or should there be metal springs on both sides of the cartridge?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Caitlin posted:

normal, stop staring at it

okay good. i had taken my copy apart to clean it and i thought i had lost one of the metal clips.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

This game will randomly crash for no reason if the expansion pack isn't in the system, let's just bundle the expansion pack with it since we can't find the bug.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cubey posted:

I think I remember reading years ago that DK64 was done by a B-team at Rare while the more talented devs were doing other poo poo.

Personally, I always disliked pretty much every collectathon that wasn't Mario 64 and just wish Rare had spent the N64's life making more Blast Corps games..

excuse me but what about the magnificent n64 masterpiece chameleon twist

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I kinda want to get into Sega stuff, since there's probably a lot of good games that I missed out on, but I don't really know where to start since I never had a Sega console as a kid. (Though my best friend in middle school had a Genesis/Sega CD combo that was made by JVC that's apparently pretty rare now).

Maybe I'll try one of the 16 bit sonic games that are on steam or the eshop.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I kinda missed out on the entire 16 bit era, going straight from the NES to the N64, so Sega was just never really a thing for me :shrug:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

horchata posted:

How difficult is it to RGB mod a SNES mini without prior soldering experience? Also, probably a stupid question, but do framemeisters ever go on sale or am I stuck paying 340~ for one?

It's pretty tricky since the video encoder chip is surface mount, and probably not something I'd suggest doing if you've never soldered before.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Is there a decent consensus about which model of Genesis sounds the best or is it a subjective "the Genesis model I had as a kid is the best sounding one?"

Or did I just open a can of worms by even asking this?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Your best option would be to get a SCART RGB-to-HDMI converter. This could be one of the cheap ones on Amazon (no idea which, if any, are worth a drat), which may be kind of slow in their conversion and introduce input lag. Or you could go whole hog for the XRGB Framemeister. Keep in mind that you would also need to get a SCART cable (or cables, if you want to hook up other consoles), either way.

Don't bother with trying to convert anything to component video on a flat screen LCD; odds are, your TV won't pick up an analog signal that is less than 480p.

You can also pick up S-Video to HDMI scalers that are a decent and inexpensive middle ground between composite and going full hog with RGB SCART.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Silhouette posted:

A launch aka "High Definition Graphics" unit, or a VA6, both are model 1 variants.

The HDG is easy to spot, and a lot of people prefer them (not me, and i'll explain) because they have really loud bass compared to every other Genesis.

The VA6 is a bit harder to spot, but easily recognized by the flat panel of plastic where the EXT port used to be near the AV/PSU inputs. The VA6 has properly mixed sound (the HDG's bass is actually mixed too loud, causing distortion), and stereo audio through the headphone jack is cleaner than on most other models (on an HDG, turning the volume slider up to more than around halfway causes it to crackle).

Bass is too loud as in they were trying to compensate for the lovely small speakers that most TV's had and still have?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Somebody near me is selling an F-Zero AX cabinet. Too bad I don't have $2000.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

Actually this is a silly question, but is there a good guide to tune the picture settings on a crt? I know there is a ton of guides for LCD tvs, but can't think of any for a CRT these days.

Do your systems have the capacity to display the standard SMPTE bars through a test suite on a flash cart? I know how to do it for using those.

Not my guide, but it's handy, although it is written for video editors in mind, just FYI.

https://sites.google.com/a/risd.edu/fav-wiki/processes-and-techniques/calibrating-a-monitor-with-color-bars

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

is wetrix on the n64 worth picking up?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy poo poo that's cool :stare: some code wizard should try making an adapter and a modern Windows driver for it.

There are specialty motherboards for industrial PC's that still have ISA slots on them but have modern Intel sockets & chipsets.

Just saying...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Agreed. OEM cables aren't that expensive, and are probably more physically robust (if nothing else) than third-party cables.

If Grizzled Patriarch has a display with S-Video, they could also try out this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131782319627

And it appears there are also some official Nintendo S-Video cables on Ebay, too, though they're not exactly cheap and some are sold from Japan (so waiting for shipping).

I tried this cable and I had diagonal lines all over the picture on my SNES mini.

YMMV though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since your TV doesn't have a VGA input or s-video input, you would need to get an HDMI adapter. There are some VGA to HDMI adapters for cheap that do not add too much lag to be noticeable for most games. However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

I would just get the VGA box over a cable. They have VGA and s-video output with a little switch to go between the two. So you don't have to unplug anything between games and just flip a switch instead.

For the record, this is the VGA compatibility list:
http://www.epforums.org//showthread.php?42182-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah I saw a vector arcade game for the first time a few weeks ago and I could not believe how gorgeous it looked.

I also saw one of these and did a double take

How did I not know this existed until seeing it in person? I sent a pic to a friend and he replied "what the hell is that? That's like if you showed me a Chrono Trigger arcade machine. How is that an arcade game?"

It was kinda fun I guess. I wonder if it's running the same hardware as the Mario Kart and F Zero machines.

Apparently it just came out last year.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

So the Analogue NT is gutting original NES's for their chips?

That feels wrong somehow.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

And they're selling Metroid II on the 3DS eShop I'm pretty sure.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The component video processor is part of the cable, which no-one's been able to replicate.

That's changed somewhat recently though. Somebody reverse engineered the digital output port and people have started modding 480p HDMI and Wii style component into GameCubes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i'll be a bitter old lady who goes on about how "kids these days don't know how good they have it, in my day we started with 3 lives and if we lost all of them, we'd have to start over again from the beginning and we liked it that way!"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fishmech posted:

Does the GCVIDEO require you to own an older GameCube with the specific digital out port, or is it also compatible with the later ones without the port using a case/internal mod?

Yes*, but it's obviously a much more complex installation to do.

*: http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/component-cable-on-dol-101-gamecube.13251/

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Personally, I think that if the SNES-CD got released, without the soured business relationship between Sony and Nintendo, that might have pushed Nintendo to use CD's for the N64 instead of cartridges.

But with Sega dropping the ball with the Saturn, and there not really being an alternative to Nintendo/Sony, we'd probably see a return to NES-era Nintendo, for better or worse.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Was the N64 really good at fast rendering? They farmed it out to a render farm company and even ignoring the texture issues, the N64 seems to have trouble rendering anything quickly. Even the games where Rare and Factor 5 did their own microcode and used every ounce of power they could wring out of the N64 kinda run like loving trash.

It was slower than it should have been because the GPU microcode was designed to render at an insanely high level of precision that wasn't really necessary for the resolution it was rendering at. Add to that the use of high-bandwidth high-latency RDRAM, which was cut in half at the last minute because of chip shortages, and the already mentioned tiny texture cache, you had a powerful system with some serious bottlenecks.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

I have like 3 Japanese carts now so I went and printed this at the library.

Games I've gotten recently: M.U.L.E. (NES), another copy of Faceball 2000 (GB), Spot: The Video Game (NES), Ms. Pac-Man (SNES), and coming my way soon are Sanrio World Smash Ball and Kirby Bowl/Kirby's Dream Course (SFC).

Why, yes, I do on a Fourscore. I need to get more NES controllers, though.

How is that cartridge slot working out? It seems like a more elegant and less permanently destructive solution than taking a dremel to the original plastic slot.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So I have a question, I was thinking about the original SMB on the NES vs SMB3. How did they advance so far with only ~40 kilobytes of memory?

Mario 3 used a mapper chip that would split the program into 40KB banks so that the NES could address more than just that 40KB ROM.

SMB1 is almost procedurally generated in terms on how it stores its level data.

And for the record, the NES had 2 KB of system ram, and 2 KB of video ram. (plus some other, smaller memory caches on the PPU itself, and also cartridges themselves could add additional memory)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

SMB1's design is kind of like sheet music or guitar tabs, or something. The instructions for building the level are there, but that's it. The level doesn't exist in its finished state anywhere but in the RAM and on screen.

Which is why if you do stupid cart swapping tricks to gently caress with the memory, you can generate new levels out of random garbage data

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah like the warp zones select the level you warp to by what number is drawn above the pipe you go down. Which is why the minus world bug works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Own a Dexdrive :smug:

Ironically, I no longer own any memory cards to use with it. :negative:

EDIT: Huh. I'm surprised they're still so cheap. How many of those things did they make?

Yeah? well I've got a Gameshark Pro and an old laptop with a parallel port. :smaug:

i have yet to figure out HOW to get any files off of it, since i'm keeping a windows 98 laptop air gapped for somewhat obvious reasons.

• Locked thread