Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I don't think I've ever seen a SweetFX mod that actually improved a game visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Sonic 3 & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Wizgot posted:

Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.

My favorite were the ads that had these pictures of these super tricked out for their era AV setups, and the headline "You could win the ultimate gaming system!" or something to that effect.

It was a total scam obviously, but they were a constant in those magazines.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

Returning the cheap chinese SNES flashcart I got from Amazon (it kept eating my SD cards so I can still return it as defective), but is it worth paying more for the SNES2SNES or just get a Everdrive?

How much do you like Megaman X?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

Well I already bought Megaman X1, X2, and X3 on the WiiU..

Then just get the Everdrive with DSP chip

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Minidust posted:

Phew, just powered through the entire new thread over the past week or so. I'm really interested in getting the best picture possible out of my old stuff now. Got a few questions about Gen 6 consoles:

1) I've got component cables for Xbox, PS2, and (hallelujah) GameCube. Am I pretty much all set with those? I figure the only real debate shifts to the optimal TV/monitor at that point.

The only way up from there is to hook the Xbox and PS2 up to a surround sound receiver via optical for surround sound, but for picture quality, it's as good as you're going to get. (for surround sound on the GC, you use the analog audio cables and set your receiver to decode Pro Logic II

Minidust posted:

2) Said component cables are currently hooked up to my main AVR. However, I'm thinking I'd be better off plugging those directly into my TV. Taking HDMI out of the (video) equation could only improve things, right?

Eh, it's probably gonna be a wash unless your receiver is really bad at upscaling.

Minidust posted:

3) I've heard GameCube over component looks better than BC GameCube games on a Wii. Is this true, or just a thing people say to feel better about spending :retrogames:?

See for yourself

IMHO, it's pretty much a wash.

Minidust posted:

4) Shifting over to Dreamcast... I do have a VGA box (the type with a swtich for S-Video). I saw a couple of references here about forcing non-VGA games to run in VGA mode. Could someone elaborate on that? There's this link that talks about patching certain games to run in VGA, but I also recall a post about simply unplugging the cable a certain way.
Assuming a game can't be run in VGA period, what's the best option for it? S-Video?
Yep, S-video

Minidust posted:

5) How does a PS1 game played on a PS2 over component cables compare to... whatever RGB stuff an actual PS1 is capable of? I'm not very knowledgeable on that front.

Exactly the same

Minidust posted:

6) How does a GB game on the Game Boy Player over component cables compare to Super Game Boy on RGB?
There's some timing difference with the SGB running slightly slower to match the SNES CPU, also a lot of gameboy games have special SGB-specific enhancements that the GBP doesn't replicate.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah the only repro I would consider getting is starfox 2, but even then it's difficult to justify because it's not that great of a game.

Same here, it's really only SuperFX and SA-1 games I'd consider buying a repro for.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Question about the Super Everdrive/SD2SNES. How deep in the cartridge shell does the SD card fit? Does it stick out when inserted all the way?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

When I get around to picking up a flashcart, I want to give it a really anachronistic cartridge label so that people do a double take when they see it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

psymonkey posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't for example N64 roms supposed to play much better/perfectly on an actual N64 compared to the crappy state of N64 emulation? Wouldn't buying a flash cart in this case make sense? Asking because I'm thinking about getting one.

Yep. And unlike the SNES there's no weird extra chips that can't be emulated on a flashcart. (Okay there's actually one in Animal Crossing but version 3 of the everdrive supports it)

And yeah N64 emulation is kind of a mess for anything outside of the major titles. There was a lot of very rapid progress early on when the system was current, and that kind of set the tone and meant that it took a lot time before we got a clean sheet emulator that wasn't compromised by being built on outdated plugin specs that were designed around a 600 MHz pentium.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

find me a flashcart that can play star fox 2

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i've come to hate mame cabs for taking up half of every results page every time i search my local craigslist for anything

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Alucardd posted:

I only make repros of unreleased games that don't work on flashcarts. So far I have Star Fox 2 and english Lagrange Point. I am considering making an english repro of Marvelous next.

I thought the N8 worked with VRC7/Lagrange Point?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

How do you guys feel about people tearing out gba SPs for those sweet screens for mods?

only if the rest of the GPA-SP is a write-off

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

We gonna throw down.

(I do agree with you that Tetrisphere is great though)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Aren't 5-screw Gyromite carts really hard to find now because people keep gutting them for 68-72 pin converters?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I'm gonna buy a Turbografix 16 and gut it for a mini ITX PC, but one of those ones where nothing actually fits so I have to cut holes in the case to get everything to fit.

Then once I install SNES and Genesis emulators on it, it'll finally be able to play good games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

al-azad posted:

I have $500 wooden connectors for your PS1 to get that superior-to-every-format audio any takers?

Do you have bags of very small rocks to put over your audio interconnects in order to have the widest soundstage, warmer mids and bright highs?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Games?! I would never sully my SCP-1001 with game discs, this is purely a CD player.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Not a huge deal, but would it be my NES or TV that Mario's sound is a little...off. Not in rhythm or time but it's like it's been slightly pitch shifted

Is your scaler converting it to 50hz?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Probably the best day in my / most peoples' childhoods.

Happy birthday, Best Console!

unless you had parents who's reaction was "first they're gonna make a super nintendo, then a super duper nintendo, and then something else. what's wrong with the nintendo you already own?"

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 23, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Happy 25th you ugly boxy grey-purple mofo that was like putting a bad Fiero based shell on a Ferrari. Did it ever get made 110% clear why it was redesigned and lost all the colour?

PCE vs TG16 is also a headscratcher.

So you couldn't put soda cans on top of it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also I wasn't joking about the "so you couldn't place a soda can on top of it" aspect either.

That was a problem they had the front loading NES a lot, because they'd inevitably spill and get soda into the vents.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The purple was just the most marketed one.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Does the SD2SNES board have those two extra sets of connectors on the side that SuperFX games have?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The only thing the retron 5 really has going for it is that it can load translation patches on the fly for famicom or super famicom games.

so if you want to play chrono trigger on a real cartridge but don't want to pay :retrogames: prices that's an option.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is there anyone out there that collects nintendo starlight hospital consoles?

Mark Hamill there is wondering just how the gently caress that girl managed to gold medal Escape from Fest on her first try.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Hey so there's an update on that US N64DD prototype that got found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-fs1COgr0

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You technically could hook it up but I would imagine there would be a lot of problems. For example, when the 360 came out, I was still using an SD CRT TV (a lot of people were even though it might not seem like it). The text in Dead Rising was completely unreadable on an SDTV. I remember people complaining online, asking for a patch and Capcom basically told everybody "the 360 is meant for high definition televisions so we won't be fixing it" ignoring the fact that it didn't even have HDMI and the base unit shipped with composite cables.

And if you had an HDCRT in those days, you get the worst of both worlds because even more stuff would assume you have an HDTV and make the text smaller than it would be in standard def mode.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

could you emulate vector based games on an oscilloscope?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I dunno, I managed to grind down an N64 controller with pretty much nothing but Mario 64, Star Fox and Goldeneye back in the day.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

One of my friends in 5th grade had one and she brought it in one day and I got to play a little bit of Mario Tennis and it was neat.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

sinking belle posted:

Phantasia GBA owns for translating "ragnarok" as "kangaroo" because someone ran the script through microsoft word spell check real quick and didn't notice that change

Still better than the fan translation of the Super Famicom version that was infamous for adding tons of dirty jokes where none existed. i.e. “I bet Arche fucks like a Tiger.”

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

I love 90-00's fan translations

and of course, when official localizations for some reason didn't include the added swearing that fan translations would have, all those people would suddenly cry "censorship!"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

liquid courage posted:

been a while since i've posted pick ups, but i've picked up a few games recently.

excellent choices

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Theoretically, you could make a nintendo av cable that had simultaneous composite, svideo, and rgb output, couldn't you? They're always outputting, right?

Supposedly there are some combination composite/s-video cables that truly output both simultaneously. But those cables are a crapshoot since most of them just split the composite signal and run the composite signal over S-Video instead of using the S-Video signaling.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Yup. The original one had a power supply that caused a few homes to burn down to ashes. Consider it a Samsung Note 7 with a battery on recall.

The recall was to replace the plain simple power cord with one that had a GFCI circuit like on a hair dryer. If THAT is tripping that just means there's a sudden spike in current and the power cord is trying to protect the Xbox.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Is that a 1CHIP SNES?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Open it up and look at what the motherboard version number is.

I ask because the 1CHIP models don't have a slight horizontal blur that gets applied to the image like the regular models do, so the video output in a modern TV looks much sharper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

d0s posted:

the only good slow mech game is steel batallion

that lovely kinect game?

• Locked thread