Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is Sega age pretty bad or just has too many people low balling you. I figured it should have a good amount of people who would treasure this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I have no idea where all the Sega collectors is then. It's just probably because it's not as well known as anything Nintendo is. Sorry, I really wish I could help more, I don't want you to become homeless.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

flyboi posted:

Hate to be "that guy" but I think you might be overvaluing that system by quite a lot. On average the console with all hookups tends to go for $200-ish. The box alone goes for around $200 on eBay. I don't think the manuals, bags and cds make up for the rest of your asking price.

The original price, maybe so, but the new-reduced offer is probably roughly what it should be.

A not complete X'eye (with several games, nothing special) sold for around $600, and the box is in worse shape,no foam inserts, and not complete with manuals and inserts like the one he's offering.

Considering how rare it really is in this condition, it's not surprising to see the price skyrocket.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

You can but only in challenge mode or recommended modes.

Apparently you can't just enter in someone's code and find their level and you don't get course world.

Yes it's stupid.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nintendo make course world and level search work on new 3ds.

Use that extra power!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

New GBA Everdrive update with GB and. GBC emulation built into the UI. Nice.

That's awesome. Krikzz isn't worried about cannibalizing gb ever drive sales? Or it's still emulation and the gb ever drive is still a better experience?

Does this work natively on a micro or still need to use Goomba to make gb games run on a micro?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ah so it's literally the same thing, just that he baked in Goomba. I appreciate it because otherwise I would have to do some more Goomba patching.

Next update could do the built in nes emulation then.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It'll be a couple of hours before I can get to my stuff. Can I have the Goomba and nes gba files in the home directory and run the roms in a folder? Guessing there's not an issue with that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Life is too short to play starfy games. Just replay a Kirby game instead.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Super famicom cover art collection is a great book. I just ordered artcade as well.

Any other books I should grab? Just waiting for you are now earthbound and pat's ultimate nes guide to come out.

I also have that sweet mega drive book.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

d0s posted:

does artcade go beyond early-mid 80's stuff to late 80's-early 90's? I don't normally go for these books full of PNGs but if it did I would really want that on my coffee table. is there a list of the games in it somewhere?

When I get the book I'll update you. I feel like it'll be rooted deeply in the arcade era and show off lots of bezels and board art which is really what I'd want from it.

It shows bubble bubble on the cover and that was enough for me to buy it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Armored Core has its fans, but I've never gotten into them for whatever reason. So let's throw that out there: if I was to play one Armored Core game, which one is worth trying?

I've played just about every single one since armored core 2.

For answer is my favorite, a modern control style and lots of giant gently caress off bosses.

One mission is literally chasing after a giant mech train and then blowing it up from the inside.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

I preordered Pat Contri's Ultimate Guide to the NES Library book and it arrived today. So I will be flipping through that tonight while watching the douche bag and turd sandwich go at each other.

How is it? I pre-ordered one but it was later after the Kickstarter so I have no idea when it'll come. Quality is good? Great color on pages?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cool that's great. I know it wasn't gonna be anything more in depth than a quick overview but it's pretty much the entire nes library right? Just a great coffee table book on nes games where you can flip it open and maybe find an interesting game is all I wanted.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is a reminder that we still have an irc over at #retrochat on synirc.net

And VonMankenstein would like to remember everyone of the No Homers rule.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sup, just wanna let you guys know that me and my Kirby get all the bitches.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So yeah, I just got the Artcade art book in the mail today.

Someone had asked me about this book. I will say if you love the 80s/early 90s art styles, you will love this book.

Here's a few choice images.

It doesn't seem to have anything but bezel art, so just know what you're getting into if you want this book.

This has art from games from 1980s all the way up to the Punisher and Alien Vs Predator in the early 1990s.

Apparently this was done by some guy who managed to buy a private collection of original arcade artwork, by a hollywood prop company that was going to go out of business. He saved it all, and also spent another 2000 hours restoring the art.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 4, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

For sure. I also would like a book thats as long as an arcade bezel and wouldn't fit on a bookshelf.

Yeah, you can't make everyone happy. It's a good compromise. I'd rather this exist as it is now, than for it not to exist at all.

I mean if you shrink it down to one page, then either you have a huge book, or the art is kind of smaller. It's pretty gorgeous at this size.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The binding could have been made to sit flat as well.

I believe those kind of bindings tend to make it more expensive and also make the book larger. I've only seen it in certain photo books and they have noticeably less pages than a book of similar size.

Considering the normal msrp of this book, it's fine for what we get.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So we all know that 8bitdo is making a n64 controller right? You can preorder it on Amazon. It comes out later this month.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My first final fantasy is 10 (and also my first ps2 title. The graphics blew me away) and I probably like it the most. So yeah might be easy to be biased when its your first.

I did play 7, 8 and 9 next and I liked 8 the least.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-15-resurrection Then this is for you Code Jockey. Its drat good. loving hard though.

Also I picked up some stuff at Retroworld Expo yesterday:

I made one seller a bit salty because I wouldn't buy a Genesis game without the manual but for me? SMS and Genesis games must be CIB or they aren't worth buying. Anything less is heretical heresy. Same for any plastic case game really. But especially those two platforms.

Eh, I don't blame you. It's like PS2 and other disc based games. It shouldn't be that hard getting a case/manual. Don't settle for less when it's not that uncommon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

d0s posted:

it's not that you're hating on titty games it's that you go about it in a painfully unfunny way where you just seem really mad and spiteful, which has never been cool on SA. please don't respond with another multiparagraph rant

Agreed, being legit mad or spiteful is not something you should try and share, and even trying to pretend to be mad or spiteful doesn't fly very well.

cosmicjim posted:

It took me a long time to figure out angry text on the internet wasn't funny, either. It's hilarious in my head, but doesn't come across that way. It worked ok for AVGN in video form for a little while.

When you're an angsty teen, it seems cool and funny. When you grow up though, you realize it's kind of meaningless, and there's better things to do with your time. It just seems like a dumb thing to try and hate on something that some people out there like doing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

What are the pros/cons of the AVS and the analogue nt?

And if I have a framemeister, is it just better to go get the HDMI upgrade for the NES (pricewise) instead of a hdmi enabled clone system?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You could just buy a wii right now and use the 8bitdo controller right now. Why wait for anything. Also likely just as expensive as the nes classic but has more games.

The main reason I was asking about nes consoles out there because I already have a library of 100 physical nes games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I forgot about the rgb mod. That's probably the way to go for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah they are about the same difficulty, just more desoldering work for the HDMI kit. The real issue with the HDMI mod is unless you already have a kit, there's a 2-3 month wait time to buy one. They are just finishing up testing a batch that was pre-ordered back between June and September, and they look like they be delivered in the next couple weeks or so. The NESRGB can be ordered from a US store and will ship to your door in less than a week: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207&rn=536&action=show_detail

Yeah and I have no skills so I would rather just pay you for it and be done with it. Snes and n64 already have rgb mods so it's just my nes that's left out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Windjammers coming to ps4 what the gently caress

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

TheRedEye posted:

Actually I'm going back to the film buff analogy, at least for me.

Film buffs want to watch the best print possible of a movie. Lucky for them, technology has evolved so that the home theater experience is only bringing them closer to the ideal of being able to watch the movie "as it's intended," i.e. on a theater screen. I think most people are capable of understanding why a film fan would prefer to watch a blu-ray of a film on a good screen/projector instead of on a DVD on some Wal Mart TV.

Game "buffs" or w/e want that pure experience too, but new technology has made old stuff look worse, so we have to retain old stuff instead of upgrading to new stuff.

Well kind of. But original video games are like actual film strips, close to the most pure format you can get it in.

Buying bluray is getting closer to the original resolution. Buying framemeister or hdmi nes is getting closer to the best we can see that game in. Emulators are more like up scaling and hdr+ on tvs (hdr+ is literally the TV trying to do fake hdr on stuff that isn't, essentially a filter)

Now there's some emulators that do try to go as original as possible when emulating but anyone arguing about emulators isn't gonna bring up the super spergy bsnes, they likely mean the same zsnes they've had for a decade.

But either way you can still enjoy the format and the content of the game itself but doing it the authentic way while can be more expensive, feels more real and pure in the end.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

d0s posted:

they're stopping production on them and they're like the only way to play old systems properly on a HDTV. personally I don't think that ability is worth the $400whatever it normally goes for let alone $700 but people like it

For some people who already have a solid crt it's not worth the investment. But I have a small apartment and I'll be damned if I have anything other than my 60 inch TV so it's nice having the framemeister as it's a good future proofing. We'll have TV sets up to 4k and hdmi for a good long time. 1080p scales up to 4k beautifully.

Very low input lag compared to most scalers too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

plasticbugs posted:

Be careful what 4k TV you invest in, because mine HATES my Framemeister at both 720 and 1080 and rounds off all the pixels. It also does this with the NES Classic Edition. It's a 65" LG OLED. Here's what you don't want:

That seems really weird. It should just take that 1080p content and multiply it by four pixels. You've tried different picture modes even?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Quick question before I hit submit on a Framemeister order.

Solaris Japan bundles the Framemeister with a Euro Scart adapter. This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?

Just another yup. The only time I've seen Japanese scart required is because well, Japanese doujin dance modded pc engine. But you can just buy the cable for like ten bucks or if you message doujin dance, I think he'll do a euro one if you ask.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

When i got one from him years back it was Euro scart and i didn't have to ask.

I think I might have gotten my framemeister and the pc engine at the same time so I told him JP was fine because my framemeister was bundled with a JP one from Rakuten.

Hey guys, remember Rakuten?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

plasticbugs posted:

I've tried every single available setting in both the regular menu and the 'advanced' menu. The only way to make it marginally better is to pass the Framemeister output through a DVDO iScan Micro 4k which passes a 4k signal to the TV and prevents the TV from attempting to scale/interpolate. I would bet that the LG isn't the only 4k TV that exhibits this unwanted scaling behavior.

I hear that Panasonic 4k TVs do have a 1080 x 4 pixel scaling option. At this point, I'm stuck with a Framemeister that I can't really use to its full potential.

Don't xboxes have hdmi pass through too? I could imagine buying a used Xbox Scorpio so it could do hdmi pass through with 4k.

But sounds like you might have a firmware update in the future.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

I just used it to get a Famicom mini (Through Buyee).

But yes I remember when I got good cheap Famicom games there. :(

Yeah that's what I mean, it used to be a Haven for cheap retro games.

Now they changed the rules and ebay is as cheap as it gets without actually going to the country.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

You wouldn't want to use that for gaming, there is a bit of delay.

Fair enough. Serious question, is there an hdmi device that would do pass through without delay? Just for trying to get a framemeister to play nice with 4k tvs.

Or something that might take 1080p and post it as 4k?

Im sure something will be made in the future 4k is only just starting to be a thing after all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

There's a lot of HDMI to 4k upscalers already, but you're gonna have to look for one that doesn't do the pixel rounding and doesn't introduce input delay yourself. I doubt there's anyone who's looked really closely at these yet.

Yeah the real thing is if it doesn't do pixel rounding and also doesn't introduce input delay.

But this is fine as long as you get a good TV. Worse case I guess, we can buy low latency oled monitors one day for cheap. I wouldn't mind putting down $100 bucks for one in the future.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Don't diss clay fighter. If you had the sculptors cut one, it'd be worth ten n64s.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

People on Reddit have been reporting that Toys R Us stores in the mid-west have been getting NES Clasisc/Mini systems in stock out of nowhere. Quite a few people provided pictures.

If some goon here comes across one and picks one up for me, I'll (obviously) pay you the money but I'll also do any and all system mods you like even though I stopped doing them since having a kid 2 years ago.

I want one so bad but I seriously cannot stomach supporting people on eBay with their pictures of the 30 of them they have stocked like a pyramid.

I'm in the same situation. I may check today and if I can walk away with two, I'll sell you the other. Or if some kind goon buys the entire case to sell to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Thank you! I will make it worth your while. I live nowhere near the midwest so I get the bone.

Hey I tried bro but the only one near me said they didn't get any at all. I'll check again if there rumors about another shipment.

• Locked thread