Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

falz posted:

Things to fill in for 'Cult Classics' for SMS in my opinion, in alphabetical order:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Astro Warrior (play this with the Sports pad!)
Golden Axe Warrior
Penguin Land
Snail Maze Game

There's probably a few Non-US games that could perhaps replace a few things on this list, but I cannot speak to them.

I haven't played much SMS, but my cult picks would be Missile Defense 3-D and Fantasy Zone: The Maze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

we're missing the most important part: BIG GRAY GAME CARD

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Do it. Because I don't want to. ( Also the easiest answer for good pre crash games on consoles is : pretty much every worthwhile pre crash game was made by Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, and some of the console makers on their home system. Although many of these games are superior on the home computers of the day. )

Also the Vectrex is your god and master and all should praise it.

Edit: if I had to make a quick top 5 for the 2600, Inty, and Coleco:

2600: Pitfall 2, River RAID, HERO, Cosmic Ark, Berzerk

Inty: Snafu, Space Battle, Astrosmash, Microsurgeon, Burger Time

Colecovision: Gorf, Montezumas Revenge, Zaxxon, HERO, Frenzy

For the 5200 I just recommend an emulator or the Atari 8 bit computers because the machine is unreliable and the joysticks come from Satan's taint. But 5 for it? Gremlins, Berzerk, River Raid, Miner 2049er, Pac Man. ( Serious DO NOT PLAY ON STOCK 5200 THAT WAY LIES PAIN.)

CV Turbo is great, even if the wheel is dinky

The 5200 must be experienced. It is a rite of passage.

Also loving COUNTERMEASURE, come on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ofecks posted:

After playing it for a few hours, it's kinda romhack amateur in the design department. I'm stuck because they hid one of the metroids in area 3 behind some stupid poo poo. It's the last one I need to move on. I bombed literally every wall and cannot find it.

- The metroids' carapaces (even the baby alphas) deflect missles and make them way more difficult than they should be.
- Save point locations are really inconsistent - they are everywhere starting out but there are some spots near difficult challenges that lack one. Also it takes way too long to save, the original was instantaneous.
- There is a dark room section in area 3 with no mechanic to light it up. Maybe it's just me, but I loving hate these.
- A boss in area 2 has an interesting mechanic but it's entirely RNG-based, thankfully the boss and item it drops are optional (I think).
- Whatever DirectX code they're using does not work with my card's hardware Vsync. I normally don't play action games with it on, but it looks especially bad without it, so I have to use theirs and suffer the input lag.
- A minor bitch but having to press start at the title screen and wait for the animation just to quit the game is dumb.
- They let you place a marker on the map. A marker, you can only have one at a time, lol.
- I don't recall if this was in other Metroid games, but it really irks me having to bomb destructible blocks to see what destructs them, instead of just shooting them.
- The charge shot has been almost completely useless so far.
- You can wall-jump but that is also useless due to how early you get the Space Jump and Spider Ball.

I'm not good at Metroid, but I'm finding the jumping mechanics to be way more of a pain in the rear end than I remember, because of how fast the jump is (and short, before you get the jump upgrade) and the fact that the jump basically stops the moment your finger comes off the button at all. It's probably exactly how it is in official games, but it feels very finicky.

also, yes, having to get underneath the alphas to hurt them with missiles when they fly at you at gun level in areas often full of spikes or lava is absolute horseshit

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

What are some good baseball games? I was playing Cal Ripken Jr on SNES last night, which I think controls well, but doesn't have real teams or stadiums.

Then I moved to Triple Play Gold on the genesis, which has real teams and ok controls.

Finally I jumped to MLB 2k13 on the PS3, which of course has incredible representations of the stadiums and even the fans wear different outfits representing their home team, but you need to take a course on the controls there. Way too much going on there. Compared to the other games I've mentioned this is like the difference between Daytona USA and Forza.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. on the n64 being good, but I haven't played it in close to a decade, so I don't know of it holds up.

What's good with an mlb license and controls that you don't have to think about?

Triple Play 99 is what I would suggest. It's got the framework of modern controls, but they're nowhere near as complex or fiddly as what they're like now, and every time you turn it on, you get a lecture on baseball history from Solid Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mcsn0M-1NM&t=11s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schremp Howard posted:

Yeah Ken Griffey Jr presents MLB is amazing. I'm surprised Baseball Stars or Little League Baseball for the NES didn't get mentioned either.

If you're looking for something more current but not painstaking the way The Show can be, I highly recommend Super Mega Baseball.

The criteria included MLB license, or else I'd have said Baseball Stars straight off. I never played Griffey because I never owned a SNES.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

There's really a very narrow window for this sort of thing, considering how late it was before you had the confluence of technology allowing swearing to be in games and the market being relaxed enough that developers could make games with swearing and they'd still end up on store shelves (which opens the phase) and now-slash-recently when such language becomes declasse.

Also, The Warriors is a loving great movie. I need to get a copy of the game. I remember wanting it back in the day because I heard El-P and Aesop Rock got bit parts voice-actor-wise, never got around to it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

I didn't know this and have never played the game but this makes me want to

Also is there a retro rap thread where we can talk about how good these guys were without being laughed at, being an earnest def jux fan is hard in 2016 :smith:

This is the rap thread, I dunno how much laughing would happen, I'm not in it.

But I will digress just momentarily to say that The Impossible Kid is Aes' best record since Def Jux stopped being a thing at least, imo probably his best since Labor Days. Just saw him live last month. Good times.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that was the other baseball fan in the thread. :v:

I was tired. Missed it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK so I need everyone's advice on this. It's a bit convoluted so bear with me.

I am about to start doing the plexiglass cutting for my MAME cabinet (the machine was already gutted. Do not worry. I did not destroy an existing game)

So anyway, I need opinions on how to "angle" the 3rd and 4th player joysticks. Now when I say angle, I mean angle in the sense of will they "line up" with their respective buttons. Due to the layout of the room my cabinet is going in, the 3rd and 4th players absolutely must be on an angle. What I need to figure out is if I am supposed to compensate the directionals. Here is my control panel:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it has anything to do with the buttons themselves or even where the screen is, but more about where you expect these people to stand. If they're a group of nine-year-olds who can all stand directly in front of the cabinet shoulder-to-shoulder, then yeah, the sticks should all face the same direction. If they're supposed to stand to the sides, then they should have their controls angled towards them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

You are.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl, heathen.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...what is SFX?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Even thrift stores and garage sales aren't as great as they used to be.

Nowadays, all the Goodwills around here shuffle their video game stuff into the Saturday afternoon live auction cases because they know some ebay flipper rear end in a top hat is going to grab it for an unreasonable amount.

There's no such thing as a good deal anymore because everybody knows how much a thing goes for and everybody knows to price it at like 150% of that or more. I didn't even bother going in on the auction for a Jazz Chorus I saw recently because even though the starting bid was $50, I knew it was going to go for like ten times that.

Last time I found something interesting at a thrift store, it was Rambo on the NES for $7.

Not the sort of story you come to the thread with like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Now here's a new thing: how you guys feel about repro boxes and manuals? Works for getting shelf candy, just like repro carts.
I've got ten games in their original cardboard boxes (9 5200, 1 GBA) but that's only because that's how they were on the shelf when I bought them. Everything else has been cart-only or in some form of plastic jewel case or clamshell box. Fake packaging is pointless. If you're collecting it for the packaging, you're not actually collecting it, you're manufacturing it. If you're producing packaging that can't be distinguished from the real thing, you're probably contributing to people getting scammed, if not now, then down the road when someone else buys your poo poo. And who here's got so few games that it's feasible to make or obtain fake packaging so that the collection is entirely boxed? What, you make a fake box for Wrecking Crew but leave your other 40 NES games unboxed? What even is the point?

I'm cool with people doing nice graphics or reproduction box art for those clamshell cases you can get for your old cartridges, that's totally reasonable in making a shelf look nice and neat. But cardboard? Nah, gently caress that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

A few years back, my fiancee and I went to a Gamestop to see if they had a DS game that had only come out a few months prior (Virtue's Last Reward). They had it, and insisted it was new, but cart-only. They just straight-up said they tossed the packaging.

Gamestop is basically Satan's cockhole.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

They probably were lying about it being new, yo.

If that's the case, they actually took the time to clean off the save files? I dunno, man. Crazy poo poo happens out there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't have a link or anything, but there's a proper modern set of SCD/Saturn/DC isos now, instead of the old hacked up ones and the bin/cue/mp3 ones.

Can someone explain the way DC burning works? I know I've asked before and never got a straight answer, but apparently you need a plugin for your burning software? I tried installing the thing you supposedly need, but it made no difference to my burns. (My DC is not the model that won't play burns)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

That Holy Diver game that never(?) came out in NA requires a glitched jump to beat it right at the end before the final boss.

wait what

are we literally talking a dio video game here?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is nostalgia literally the only aesthetic value out there? Even if they don't look like the originals, I think they're kinda pretty.

I don't mind that they don't look like the originals, but I do mind that they don't even try to match the design aesthetic of the cartridges beyond using NES-grey plastic. You've got these swooping curved lines on the system and this blocky, textured piece of poo poo sticking out the top. They should have made some kind of blocky, chunkity-rear end design.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

unless you had parents who's reaction was "first they're gonna make a super nintendo, then a super duper nintendo, and then something else. what's wrong with the nintendo you already own?"

This, except I didn't get a Nintendo until the Super Nintendo was already announced. Good times.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Eh, could be worse. I knew a guy in college who was stuck with Windows ME.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got an urge to play a game, but I dunno what. Someone name something I probably have.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tool-assisted also doesn't automatically mean some kind of frame-perfect TAS, it probably just means for longplays "yeah, if I do something incredibly stupid and game over, I'm gonna rewind and edit that out."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Squeegy posted:

This might be the appropriate thread for this. I have just acquired a CTX CVP-5468NI, manufactured December 1992, off the side of the road. It's in perfect condition, except when I plug it into my Win8 laptop and boot it up the screen is all hosed up (and extremely green, despite it being an RGB monitor) and there are black bars on either side of the picture. After fiddling with it for a bit, I determined that by setting the contrast down, I can get it to display a legible (but duplicated, and juxtaposed onto itself) picture of my desktop. However, after being on for a while the picture starts to get messed up, beginning at the top of the screen as it slides leftward until the whole picture smears into a static-y, horizontally vibrating mess. If I set the contrast lower, it will reverse this process and I can get the picture back, but only for a little while until the process occurs again, and eventually I run out of room on the contrast knob and it just goes black (weirdly enough, I can get flashes of picture when I'm moving the contrast knob near the end, but not when I let go of it, it goes back to black).

I downloaded a driver off the Internet which consists of an ICC profile and an INF driver. I applied the ICC profile to the monitor in my display settings, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. I installed the INF file, but it also doesn't appear to have done anything and I can't find it in the driver list if I try to update the display driver for the monitor. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it/how I could fix it or should I see myself out to SH/SC?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352 <---retro-pc thread but to be completely honest it sounds broken as gently caress. some people in that thread or this thread might have different opinions.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

_____! posted:

And people wonder why the hoarding mentality exists in this community. This is why people buy every N64 they come across at garage sales/thrift shops since they'll just wind up on the street. That Gamecube has clearly seen some poo poo.

gently caress that gamecube, those sticks are great

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm shocked they went to 1982. Video games literally did not exist until Nintendo released the NES in the United States.

Most popular video game in the year of my birth was probably Colossal Cavern.

You're definitely Donkey Kong, BTW.

Yeah, drat, forgot about Donkey Kong. Anyway, the list goes like this (and they're almost certainly doing some weird poo poo with release dates here because I told you this was a dumb listicle - and of course I go to Popular Mechanics for video game news, duh)

`82 - Pitfall
`83 - Star Wars (arcade)
`84 - Duck Hunt
`85 - Super Mario Bros.
`86 - The Legend of Zelda
`87 - Zelda II
`88 - Super Mario Bros. III
`89 - Tetris (Game Boy)
`90 - Super Mario World
`91 - Sonic the Hedgehog (with a screenshot of Sonic 2)
`92 - Mortal Kombat (arcade)
`93 - Doom
`94 - Donkey Kong Country
`95 - Super Mario World 2
`96 - Pokemon Red/Blue/Green
`97 - Gran Turismo
`98 - Pokemon Yellow
`99 - Pokemon Gold/Silver
`00 - Pokemon Crystal
`01 - Grand Theft Auto III
`02 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
`03 - Call of Duty
`04 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
`05 - Nintendogs
`06 - Madden 2007 (PS2)
`07 - Wii Sports
`08 - Wii Play
`09 - COD4:MW
`10 - CODBLOPS
`11 - CODMW3
`12 - CODBLOPS2
`13 - Grand Theft Auto V
`14 - CODAW
`15 - CODBLOPS3

pinacotheca posted:

I'm even older and more irrelevant!

I spotted this on Wikipedia the other day, and if nothing else it proves that you're never too old or irrelevant to play videogames and learn something from them:

Hopefully the solution was "the murderer escaped by driving into a boathouse, thus immediately transforming his car into a boat and speeding off to freedom, leaving behind several mystified police officers on the road".

Fair play to her, though. You never saw Quincy getting one over on a gang of corrupt property developers by beating them at, say, Zaxxon.

loving incredible

e:

Ofecks posted:

Not sure about the protoconsoles (although I imagine the VCS Activision library is sizable at this point), but 1981 saw some rather legendary arcade titles released. Probably the most popular would be Donkey Kong. Others:

Frogger
Galaga
Scramble / Super Cobra

Not as popular, but noteworthy for various reasons:

Borderline (Sega, possibly the first run-n-gun-style game?)
Fantasy (SNK, a super-silly but fun multigenre game with impressive voice samples)
Turbo (Sega, predates and influenced Namco's Pole Position)
Qix (Taito, spawned a bajillion derivatives, a lot of them lewd games)
Red Clash (Tekhan, the first vert STG to feature a non-starfield scrolling background?)

Turbo is probably my favorite of those that I've played (which is to say all of them except Borderline and Fantasy.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 2, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'll admit I mostly wanted an excuse to type "codblops" which is way more fun to say than it is to play.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

The only ones that were surprising to me were Gran Turismo, Nintendogs and Wii Play.

The ones that bug me in terms of making me wonder if things are actually correct on the list are the release dates of the early Pokemons and Duck Hunt being the most popular game of 1984.

VVVVV that's what I thought

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 2, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ofecks posted:

I would argue that any of the influential arcade shmups that came out in 84 were more popular than VS. Duck Hunt (most notably 1942), but that's probably just me being biased for my favorite genre.

They specifically cite it as NES Duck Hunt, which is more Japanese release date/sales figures poo poo.

But, yeah, 1984 has all of these, which I would have assumed were more popular than Vs. Duck Hunt (which MAME lists as being released in `85 anyway):

Hat Trick (seriously, I've seen that cab way more often than one would think)
Karate Champ
Kung-Fu Master
Lode Runner
Marble Madness
Mr. Do's Wild Ride
Paperboy
Punch-Out
Return of the Jedi

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ahahahahaha war gods

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Formula One, the series is something I want to get into but there are conflicting opinions that F1 2014 is the best because it was the last game with a full career mode. 2015 is regarded as stripped down garbage while 2016 has the career mode but male only.

Annual games feel like phones where each year has new features nobody asked for, removed features everybody liked, but it's the latest thing everyone's using so you have to check it out. I have an image in my mind of the designers going off checklists with the producer popping in like "REMOVE THAT FEATURE OR WE'LL HAVE TO TOP OURSELVES FOR THE NEXT GAME!"

I have a friend who works on Madden, I should ask him at some point how much of the what goes in/what comes out decision-making process is a blindfold and a dartboard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I mentioned this in another thread where we were talking about games, I figure I might as well mention it here as well, since it's about retro-style gaming and a game that is, itself, retro at this point.

http://nurium.com/breakquest.html

BreakQuest, which is probably the best-looking, best-sounding update on the Breakout/Arkanoid formula I've ever seen, is now free to own with a serial posted right underneath the download link on the developers' site. The only problem is that you have to force it into pillarbox mode since it was made for 4:3 displays and stretches to fill the screen in full-screen mode.

Honestly, give this piece a try if you're even vaguely interested. It's got physics out the wazoo. Ball moves based on how hard you hit it with what shape your bat happens to be at the time, blocks can move (sometimes connected on wires, sometimes free-floating), your ball can change shape or acquire smaller balls that orbit around the larger one or both, AND EVERYTHING PRODUCES A MILLION GODDAMN PARTICLES. :pcgaming:

It's like 12 years old at this point, but what's the last you heard out of the genre worth a drat? Seriously. Give it a go. I love the hell out of it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, hey, other fans of this game do exist. It's the best game in its genre. Yes, better than Shatter even. Also, the soundtrack is totally great.

There's a sequel, but it's a PS Vita exclusive (?!) and plays like rear end.

Huh, I had no idea---then again, I never had a Vita, so I never paid attention to what came out for it.

XYZ posted:

Every time I enter the serial the game just quits without doing anything.Ok, needed to be in XP compatibility mode.

That's weird, it started right up for me, if I had any idea that was a necessary thing, I'd have mentioned it. My bad.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I really enjoyed Wizball, but the genre hasn't had a lot of...breakouts in the past two decades.

See, I've never even heard of Wizball, the last I can think of is like the SNES Arkanoid and the PS1 Breakout. Still.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

XYZ posted:

:) Had to change my video settings to enforce the aspect ratio but it works great now. Fun game.

Yeah, same. That I did at least mention in my first post. I was kind of tearing my hair out about it, but I had accidentally set it so the monitor enforced the aspect ratio, not the GPU, once I fixed that, it was solid.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

truth in author bios

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Do the lasers move faster on Difficult?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's what I thought. Doing it without Flash Stopper is eminently doable - hell, I can do it a good 40-50% of the time, and I suck at games. It's just a matter of getting the path and the rhythm down right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Why doesn't Ax=Battler wield an axe what kind of backwards universe do you want me to immerse myself into Sega?

here's here to battle guys with axes duh

• Locked thread