Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Question about the Super Everdrive/SD2SNES. How deep in the cartridge shell does the SD card fit? Does it stick out when inserted all the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Still waiting for someone to make SNES Dragon Quest translation hack repros sold with shiny chrome carts

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Question about the Super Everdrive/SD2SNES. How deep in the cartridge shell does the SD card fit? Does it stick out when inserted all the way?

On the SD2SNES it sticks out half a centimeter

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

I have an unwarranted hatred of repros because the local P&T keeps trying to push them on me despite the fact that I am not one bit interested in paying forty dollars for a Play Action Football that's had its innards swapped out. If that was the route I was going I'd just buy a flash card and never stop by your store again, buddy.

The digitalpress store in New jersey is full of repros and all it does is make me wonder about the legitimacy of the "normal" games that they sell at 2X ebay prices

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
In my opinion the best usage of a Repro is not buying one for yourself to play through and beat and pretend that 1993 never ended, but rather as Chainclaw said: gifts, and the best repro gifts are not made out of the romhack some dude made in his mom's toolshed in 2006, but rather some AAA game that came out in Japan but never saw the light of day in the US. There are certainly plenty of those for the SNES that turned out to be not only good games, but genuine clasics that we were utterly robbed of here in the West, and if some dude with a soldering iron , a printer and a stack of label paper wants to make that game available on the original hardware to a US audience for the first time I say more power to him/her, and I think there's nothing wrong with the production and sale of these things at all. It's basically abandonware (though I know Nintendo will never see it that way at all), and when every high dollar SNES game you can think of from Earthbound to Evo and Dracula X is available as a reprocounterfeit on Aliexpress for $20 shipped If you know someone that was say a big Square fan during the SNES heyday and that person is not nerdy and technically inclined enough to be able to go out and buy a flash card and load it up with a full rom set, then surprising them with a repro copy of Seiken Densetsu 3 or FF5 for Christmas when they've never even heard of the game is a pretty damned cool gift. My older brother and I spent far too much time playing Secret of Mana and A Link to the Past when he was in high school and I was in middle school, so if I surprised him with a copy of SD3 and Gunparu for Christmas like I plan to do this year I think he just might poo poo his pants. If I gave him a Super Everdrive loaded with every game that's playable on the SED I know he would find that cool and easily end up getting more use out of it than those two games alone, but it probably wouldn't have the same immediate impact as if he opened up an unnecessarily boxed Seiken Densetsu 3 that's even labeled as "The Secret of Mana 2". If I handed him a flash cart I would have to sit down and explain several concepts to him before he would understand at all but that box that clearly says "Secret of Mana 2" with the Squaresoft logo requires almost no explanation at all. I think it's a similar effect to the way that anyone with a large collection of MP3s on a computer will stare at the list of artists and songs for twenty minutes not settling on anything to play, but hand that person a vinyl record of an album they like with full size cover art and the needle is getting dropped on track one side A and it won't lift until it's the end of side A. 57 channels and nothing on and all of that.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but a couple of months back I got really drunk one night and woke up the next morning to find that I'd bought a Super Everdrive "China Edition" for $50 shipped from Aliexpress. It took a few weeks to get here as all orders from China do, and I expected it to be a really lovely knockoff that didn't work for half of the things that it says that it supports, but the thing is actually a really surprisingly well built piece of electronics so far. There hasn't been anything that it's not played outside of the enhancement chip games that a legit Super Everdrive wouldn't play, either, but it does have the spots on the PCB for the DSP-1, 74HCU04 and clock generator should I decide that I really need to play Pilotwings and Mario Kart that bad, I should be able to upgrade it the same as a more legit Super Everdrive. Otherwise it's performed flawlessly, though. From what I understand the SED China version is a different story from the other "China versions" of Krikzz' flash carts found on aliexpress and such in that they were officially licensed Super Everdrive 1.0s that he gave permission to the Chinese to produce under the agreement that they'd only sell them to the Chinese (whoops) and that they'd never get further hardware or software updates beyond the 1.0, so don't be a fool and upgrade the OS if it's not having problems, whereras the other China version flash carts are all unauthorized bootleg clones that have very spotty rom support and could just outright die at any minute taking your Genesis or whatever with it. I do feel a bit guilty buying this knockoff instead of giving the money to the guy that actually developed this really cool product, but I also have some real mixed emotions about having a morality conflict in buying a bootleg device that's primary function is to act as a bootleg device that circumvents intellectual property law. Oh well. I will keep using it and if it dies on me randomly then so be it, and I will turn around and buy a real Super Everdrive to replace it (it's impossible for me to justify spending 4x the amount that I spent on this thing for a SD2SNES when the only advantage that the SD2SNES has that actually even slightly appeals to me is the unofficial fan made CD sound options, which honestly seems more gimmicky to me than the 3D functionality of my TV that I've used a total of four times in four years).

Anyway, to answer your question since this is a lovely china version that was never meant to be sold in the US it has some cheaper parts than what you'd find on a >1.0 Super Everdrive, like the fact that the SD slot isn't spring loaded on this and sits flush with the spine of the shell casing. It was such a pain in the rear end to get the card in and out that I would have to use a 1/8" flat head screwdriver bit from a computer repair bit set to "walk it out" a little bit at a time for each side. I ended up taking the same needle nose pliers I used to remove the region locking tabs to the casing and did roughly the same thing to this cartridge casing, weakening and pulling out piece by piece until I had a hideous jagged gash all across the rear of the casing, but at least I can take the SD card out now with 30% more ease, even if I've cut myself on the jagged plastic at least a couple of times by now. I've thought about desoldering the SD card socket from the PCB and soldering in a spring loaded one like you'd find in a non-knockoff Everdrive, but that seems like a good amount of work for something I'm likely to only need to access once every four months at best anyhow, not to mention that if I start going down the rabbit hole of replacing parts on this to bring it up to snuff with a real Super Everdrive straight from Ukraine like adding a DSP chip, replacing the SD socket, putting a non-poo poo universal cartridge casing on it, etc. I may as well have just bought the real deal to begin with it. The price difference isn't THAT large. I think I'm just going to give the SD card one final once over to see if there's anything I feel like I need to add or rearrange on it for the immediate future and stick it in the casing to SNES Mortal Kombat, since I know I"m never going to play that game again.

Turbinosamente posted:

I know flash carts make more sense at this point, but I think its the shelf candy/ regret of not getting it cheap years ago when I had the chance thats eating me. Technically a repro wouldn't fill that void very well either since its not a "real" one.

Sort of related, is anybody big into homebrews/hacks/etc? The only one I've ever bothered to shell out for was Water Margin: The Tales of Clouds and Winds on Genesis and I haven't even had the time to play it. I've considered many others before like Halo 2600 or one of the passable Pokemon hacks, but none of those are a clear ripoff of best game ever Streets of Rage 2, which was the tipping point on Water Margin for me. :v: Most homebrews seem kinda eh in general?

There are more than a few hacks that I've gotten into enough to devote several hours if not beat them outright several times. The best ones that I've played are Mario hacks, which shouldn't be surprising seeing as how probably two out of every three romhacks ever made is a Mario hack of some variety.

Return to Dinosaur Land for SNES is absolutely ridiculously polished and has almost perfect difficulty. It feels like the long lost direct sequel to Super Mario World. There is one level in the game where it borders on stupid and unfair where you have to do the semi-tricky maneuver where you have to trick the game into letting you pick up both a key and a P-switch at the same time in order to find the real exit for the level. It's not super difficult and once you've done it a couple of times it honestly becomes more natural and fluid than even knowing how to bomb jump in a Metroid game, but it's such esoteric knowledge that it's kind of ridiculous to expect a person to be able to get past that without googling the answer. That aside, this and maybe 3mix down below are the only hacks that I've played where if someone told me that it was a Miyamoto creation I would believe it without questioning the truthfulness of that statement. Whatever it was about golden era Nintendo first party games that made them unmistakably feel like a first party Nintendo game, this one has it in droves.

Super Mario Bros 5 Reborn is another fairly vanilla SMW hack that has a modest difficulty level and is adequate for Mario players of all skill levels. The graphics in this one are particularly nice because a lot of the pixel art comes from Yoshi's Island and various Mario All Stars art, so while it plays pretty well identically to SMW there is an actual feeling at times that you're playing a lost Mario sequel more than you're playing just some dude's rom hack.

Super Mario 3mix for the NES is absolutely amazing. It's a Mario 3 hack where each world represents a different game in the Mario series, with levels ripped straight from those games and power ups and abilities that I never would have thought possible on a NES prior to this. World 1 is Mario 1, World 2 is Mario 2, but from there on it gets really interesting, with one world being Mario World so of course you spend a lot of it riding Yoshi, and one of the later worlds is Mario Galaxy so you actually jump from planetoid to planetoid with gravity bouncing from normal to reversed to weightlessness right in the middle. It makes what Irem did with Metal Storm seem lazy by comparison. More than anything else it's just a really great, complete game that is mostly a joy to play all the way to the end. Again, Mario rom hacks have a tendency to be made for only the most die hard players that want something Dark Sous style bullshit hard, but this game and Return to Dinosaur Land can be given to just about anyone that's ever played Mario 3 or world a decent amount and they can play it without tearing out clumps of hair too much. Both are still harder than the original game that they are based on, but not so hard as to be an order of magnitude jump like you see with so many level hacks, and this game is so very much more than just a level hack. The game is just a big ole love letter to everything Mario throughout the last thirty years and even though I'd imagine it works just fine on a flashcart this game is one of a select few that I could actually see myself buying or making a repro of somewhere down the line.

Super Metroid Redesign, Super Metroid Eris, Super Metroid Zero Mission all seem quality enough, but frankly they all seem to bleed together for me. They all just feel like more Super Metroid, which isn't a bad thing at all, but they also seem to lack any qualities that separate them out. Same thing with Link to the Past: Parallel Worlds and Goddess of Wisdom. The Legend of Link for the NES, however, is something special. It's an enormous romhack that replaces most of the original Zelda's sprites with those of Link's Awakening. It looks and plays amazingly, but if you're looking to play that as a repro good loving luck with that. It's such a complex game that the only way to make a repro of it is to sacrifice one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, which are fairly rare, expensive, and the PCBs are really large, so it's not even like you can use a Famicom version for cheaper and put it in a 60to72 pin converter, because it will be bigger than the cartridge casing itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Repro chat is funny because I was talking to this guy selling repro carts and he was saying all his repros are made by a guy from "scratch", as in no carts were gutted. I never heard of that before but I guess with Chinese factories making fake Chrono Trigger carts, anything is possible. Anyway I asked him if he had Starfox 2 (the only repro I am interested in) and he said his guy is unable to figure out how to create Super FX games. I told him "just use Stunt Race FX" and you would have thought I insulted his family. He went off on this long rant about how when his son grows up there's going to be no Stunt Race FX carts left and it's disgusting to suggest doing such a thing, as if I told him to gut Earthbound or something. I did a moonwalk right out of there. It's Stunt Race FX. The game sucks and will never be rare and your kid will hate you if you make him or her play it.

Caitlin posted:

A. 6 buttons was better than 4 players if you like fighting games, but as you will I guess. Don't fill them in IMO; just cap them.
B. What kind of monster are you that you just made them two straight rows? How do y'all even stand playing like that for extended periods of time? Angled buttons are so much more comfortable. :sigh:

A. Ah sorry, I think I might have typed that wrong. I am not filling in all player's 5th and 6th buttons; just the angled player's will lose those 2 since there are no 4 player games that use all 6 buttons. The middle two players will have all 6 buttons.

B. I admit I am a monster but I am basing the button layouts of Street Fighter 2 and Killer Instinct, the two favorites among my friends and I. I am aware it won't be ideal for SNK games but to be totally honest, I never got into those fighters growing up. And I very well might now that I have an upright machine, but I will be starting off already knowing those games with the Street Fighter 2 layouts.

Hilariously enough, my brain is programmed as those buttons being labeled 1-6, I think because of a Killer Instinct guide I obsessively read in 1995 that used that numbering scheme instead of QP, HK, etc. 21 years later and I still remember every combo in Killer Instinct. But if I play it on the SNES, I cannot use the normal SNES controller because I can't translate the buttons to 1-6 because the shoulder buttons throw me off and I suck at it. :saddowns:

Allen Wren posted:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it has anything to do with the buttons themselves or even where the screen is, but more about where you expect these people to stand. If they're a group of nine-year-olds who can all stand directly in front of the cabinet shoulder-to-shoulder, then yeah, the sticks should all face the same direction. If they're supposed to stand to the sides, then they should have their controls angled towards them.

Yeah my idea for the 3rd and 4th players is definitely for them to be angled off to the side. If I had all 4 players straight across, the control panel would have been ridiculously wide, to the point where it would look bizarre. I wanted a decent middle-ground of not looking like a franken-panel but also being able to play a majority of games (obviously racing games will not be possible).

Jadius posted:

Hey Hamburglar, maybe this is a really stupid suggestion and you will tell me so, but rather than having a dedicated four player CP where everything is cramped why not have a really good two player panel and build two separate control panel boxes for player 1 & 4 connected by some sort of a quick disconnect wiring harness that you can plug in and unplug as needed when you need four player support? Maybe even build legs for the control panels so that they stand upright, or find a way to hook the extra two panels on to the cabinet when needed, sort of like a food tray hooks on to a car window at a drive up restaurant? Like I said, probably a stupid suggestion but don't kill the messenger for coming up with stupid alternatives.

I appreciate any input! That really isn't a bad idea at all. But the way I see it is if having 4 people playing at once really will be that rare, having 2 people angled is an OK compromise. I get very anal with everything feeling "legit" (or I would have not spent $100 to get a graphics card that can do 15hz) so I would feel like I am half-assing it if I do that, kind of. I know it's a ridiculous way to think but it's just the way my brain is; like if I do that then "I might as well just plop an X-Arcade in front of my plasma". I am kind of all or nothing and it is very lame. Hell I even refuse to have a "credit" button; I am making it so you absolutely have to use quarters even though they will just come right back out after inserting it.

Also I bought 4 different sets of colored concave pushbuttons. Player 1 is red, player 2 is blue, player 3 is yellow, and player 4 is green. The pushbuttons will light up depending on what game you are playing, so Donkey Kong will only have 1 button lit up, but Street Fighter 2 will have all lit up. It's great because it solves the issue of "what buttons do I use for this game". I don't care about it looking cool; I actually kind of hate the aesthetic of LEDs everywhere. I am not putting LEDs on the joystick or spinner or trackball or any of that stuff. Oh and another reason I can't go back now is I have a 4 player coin door for it!

If it truly is wretched for players 3 and 4 to be off to the side I'll definitely consider it but the thought of re-doing the word work on this control panel is giving me agita.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone have the gba krikzz flash cart yet? Can you let me know what model of sd card you have working for it? Mine should arrive next week but I'm worried that mine might not work with the sd card I prepped for it already.

So I need to know what model 16 gigabyte ones you guys have that works for sure so I can favorite it in case I need to get it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone have the gba krikzz flash cart yet? Can you let me know what model of sd card you have working for it? Mine should arrive next week but I'm worried that mine might not work with the sd card I prepped for it already.

So I need to know what model 16 gigabyte ones you guys have that works for sure so I can favorite it in case I need to get it.

xamphear says this one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Repro carts, whose the go to for that these days? I keep toying with the idea of getting a Gun Nac cart. It's getting hard to find that one in general, never mind the price.

I wouldn't recommend them, but I've ordered a few of the cheapy Chinese reproductions and I'm waiting for them to arrive so I can do a trip report on them.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

He went off on this long rant about how when his son grows up there's going to be no Stunt Race FX carts left

I fail to see the problem here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Technical issues aside, Starfox 2 is really cool and I wish they'd give it an official port/re-release instead of reinterpreting it as crappier games.

Same. Nintendo's handling of some of their franchises is super frustrating and would you look at that, Federation Force is getting thrashed by critics.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to see the SNES port of Killer Instinct 2 that was supposedly finished.

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently. I wonder what the minus world glitch would have done in that version. :allears:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ineffiable posted:

Actually, check this thread instead: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5431.0

The compatibility with the EDGBA might be worse than his other MicroSD carts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The dark backstory to cruisin USA that you never knew before: http://www.clickhole.com/video/heartwrenching-video-game-shows-what-its-be-immigr-4785

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The graphics in that game look way better than I remember. Unless the N64 port was just terrible and I never really played the arcade much.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The thing that turned me off repros is getting a bunch of shoddy ones where the label falls off and then the cart doesn't fit together right. For like $60+ that can gently caress right off.

I don't even really have a flashcart because I'll just emulate the stuff I don't have nostalgia for since I'll hardly notice anyway.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

mikeycp posted:

I would do repros for games I'm really fond of and don't want to just have on a flash cart with everything else. No reason you can't have it both ways with this.

Yeah, I can see the appeal of getting some favorite never-localized games as repros (I almost got Terranigma that way, to circumvent the PAL thing), especially when the labels are convincing enough that they fit right next to actual old games. Of course, a lot of RPG repros use the Japanese covers with anime-style art, and deep down I know that most U.S. publishers wouldn't let that fly circa 1995.

Flash carts, on the other hand, are convenient but have no aesthetic appeal. They're just ROMs, and if I want ROMs I have them on a computer. I might get an NES flash cart eventually, but I don't find them compelling.

d0s posted:

The digitalpress store in New jersey is full of repros and all it does is make me wonder about the legitimacy of the "normal" games that they sell at 2X ebay prices

Do they mix them in with the regular games? The Game Zone (also in north Jersey) has a shelf or two in a display case dedicated to repros, but it's pretty easy to see where they end and the genuinely old games begin. It's an OK store from what I saw. Their prices are mostly the eBay rate, but retro-game shops pretty much have to go that route these days.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 19, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I would love to see the SNES port of Killer Instinct 2 that was supposedly finished.

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently. I wonder what the minus world glitch would have done in that version. :allears:

I can't wait til we know more about the history of those carts, though obviously as with all proto stuff that might take years to work out. TRE, is there a reason you only got four of them? I know you suspected a scam earlier on, is it possible to go back and pick up the rest? Its odd how little excitement there is about finding prototypes of early HAL/Nintendo second party games. For all people like to catalogue Nintendo stuff shouldn't there be more interest?

Also, is it just me or is Assembler pretty dead for that stuff these days? It seems like Nintendo Age (or sonic retro or whatever for other systems) is a much more active place of discussion.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of repros and romhacks, has anyone here made a Yoshi's Island romhack cart? Is it substantially different from making Star Fox 2?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
When I get around to picking up a flashcart, I want to give it a really anachronistic cartridge label so that people do a double take when they see it.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently.

Wait, what? Source?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnhandledException posted:

Wait, what? Source?

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/joust-prototype-nes/

The part about the Super Mario Bros. 1 prototype is a bit of the way down.

I wonder if the buyer of it can be contacted?

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
I'm half-way considering getting a repro/translation of Tales of Phantasia and/or Star Ocean for snes since they both use complicated chips. They're also two of the largest games on the system(I think) so I'd like to see how they perform the original hardware(voiced songs on my snes?).

Prices average around 50 dollars for one though, so I'm not feeling good about the idea.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zelgadis posted:

I'm half-way considering getting a repro/translation of Tales of Phantasia and/or Star Ocean for snes since they both use complicated chips. They're also two of the largest games on the system(I think) so I'd like to see how they perform the original hardware(voiced songs on my snes?).

Prices average around 50 dollars for one though, so I'm not feeling good about the idea.

In case you did not know, the SD2SNES will play both of those.
And A Link to the Past MSU-1!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They also have much better versions on other systems, they're kind of just a template on the SNES.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I definitely don't want to play the translation of Phantasia again. It was cool as an angsty teenager where these characters talk about loving and haha that guy abuses his research assistant but today? naaah.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

xamphear posted:

Actually, check this thread instead: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5431.0

The compatibility with the EDGBA might be worse than his other MicroSD carts.

Thanks. I checked the spreadsheet and mine isn't even mentioned. It's a silicon power 16 gigabyte elite. Well it was only five bucks, I can get something else and use this in my phone or tablet.

I just wanted a way to see if I need a new one, what could be the cheapest one for 16 gigabytes I can get that works.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/joust-prototype-nes/

The part about the Super Mario Bros. 1 prototype is a bit of the way down.

I wonder if the buyer of it can be contacted?

Thanks!

I can't help but think these are elaborate hoaxes. Misspellings in Joust is pretty low effort. I've seen that Super Mario scrolling bug in bootlegs and emulators. If that's the only difference, I'd be suspicious.

The holy grail would be one like in the Super Mario History booklet that came with All Stars for Wii. That game went through a lot of interesting and dramatic changes.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sturnt Race FX is historically cool and saccing legit games to make bootleg games is lovely

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, at least feed the beast a Vortex cart or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

Sturnt Race FX is historically cool and saccing legit games to make bootleg games is lovely

It's OK, people only gut defective ones, which are identifiable because they run at a single-digit framerate.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
OTOH, I am way in favor of flash carts over emulation. It's just not the same.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

B. I admit I am a monster but I am basing the button layouts of Street Fighter 2 and Killer Instinct, the two favorites among my friends and I. I am aware it won't be ideal for SNK games but to be totally honest, I never got into those fighters growing up. And I very well might now that I have an upright machine, but I will be starting off already knowing those games with the Street Fighter 2 layouts.

Nobody is saying you're a monster, people are giving you tips to make your experience a lot more comfortable because it literally hurts to play with those layouts and components for extended periods. My wrists and back hurt like crazy when I play JAMMA boards in my SFII cab so I don't get a lot of use out of it. Ergonomics is important.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

also here's the street fighter II layout the game was designed around

the developers at capcom never had the 3+3 across layout in mind, ever

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You can always refer to slagcoin's guide.

"This is the American Street Fighter layout given by Capcom USA. It has some strange wide-spacing and does not suit the structure of the human hand. I do not advocated squared layouts like this one and others. You can feel some of these even layouts for yourself and assess the level of awkwardness from bending some fingers more than others."

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

My guess is that it's nearly complete, so the minus world is probably the same. It's probably the final game with a couple of minor bugs.

Cliff Racer posted:

TRE, is there a reason you only got four of them? I know you suspected a scam earlier on, is it possible to go back and pick up the rest? Its odd how little excitement there is about finding prototypes of early HAL/Nintendo second party games. For all people like to catalogue Nintendo stuff shouldn't there be more interest?

As soon as the seller listed one that had an obvious difference in the screenshots, thus verifying that the fishy-looking things might actually be prototypes, we bought all of them. The only one I let someone else get was Mario Bros. (the arcade port, not Super), because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs came after the game was published, so it seemed safe to assume that it was just the final game. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I am not made of money, and quick decisions had to be made.

As far as "shouldn't there be more interest," I'm sure there would have been a ton of interest if more people saw these auctions.

UnhandledException posted:

I can't help but think these are elaborate hoaxes. Misspellings in Joust is pretty low effort. I've seen that Super Mario scrolling bug in bootlegs and emulators. If that's the only difference, I'd be suspicious.

If these are hoaxes they're masterful. Of the five we got (a friend got F-1 Race, which has different colors on the title screen among other changes), four were different. It's not just the text, there are hex differences all over the place, which I'm sure are just bug fixes and minor tweaks. So, if it's a hoax, they kept Soccer identical to add some legitimacy to it I guess? Also, if it's a hoax, they were very careful to only use EPROMs with manufacturing dates that preceded the release dates of the games (pretty difficult to source these days), EXCEPT for that one Mario Bros. cart.

I've been dumping NES prototypes for literally 18 years now, I know what I'm doing!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

I've been dumping NES prototypes for literally 18 years now, I know what I'm doing!

Now I'm wondering if you're the guy I sent Magic Jewelry II to (as well as a weirdly-hosed Super Mario 3 cart) many many years ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

I would avoid spending money on repros and put it into a flash cart at this point

d0s posted:

yes they work fine but what is the point when for the price of a few repros you can have a "repro" with every game on it?

Why not just play it on emulator?

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

d0s posted:

I agree with this though. Its definitely the easier way to do a repro cart but it feels kinda lame. Sure Stunt Race FX sucks and there's a lot of copies, but its still a limited production and they're only going to get older and rarer. Like people buying up all the games with Famicom-to-NES adapters and chunking them, its kinda weak. Those games are part of history.

Still as long as there's several copies of Stunt Race FX that are playable its not a huge deal? But how long is that sustainable exactly? Not that repro carts are being mass produced but they're not super super uncommon either.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I enjoyed the physical collecting aspect of it, but I was doing it long before there was a real "retro bubble" that shot prices of games I remember getting for $3 up to like $20 to $50. I'm not a fan of flashcarts and emulation, but lately I've been checking out the prices on most of my collection and yeah, if I was starting to get into retro gaming today I'd go the flashcart/emulation route. I have a lot of top titles, cult classics, and rare pieces in physical format but I also didn't spend nearly a quarter of what this stuff would probably cost me now.

Hadn't thought much about repros. A local card game store here started stocking video games and a couple of repros. Most are just romhacks so I doubt I'll buy those, and I feel like just importing games released in Japan but not in the US. Probably just grab whatever weird prototypes or unreleased stuff, like Star Fox 2 I guess even though it's not that good.

Stunt Race FX is cool.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Why not just play it on emulator?

because an emulator isn't the real hardware, a flashcart isn't an emulator. a repro is just as fake as a flash cart, you're paying for placebo effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

d0s posted:

a repro is just as fake as a flash cart, you're paying for placebo effect

:colbert: I know, that's the point. I already said that.

And its not the placebo effect, its having a physical thing instead of just data on your memstick. Call it the collector effect or the "being able to touch it" effect. Tangible effect?

• Locked thread