Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Today I got the only Multitap worth owning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

only Super Famicom one worth owning then!

I also got this Japanese "Merlin" sort of handheld thing called the Game Robot 5.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Talking about the Analog NTs, I thought they were buying all the yellowed Famicoms no one else wants to buy for their boards? I don't have a problem with that really. I've seen Famicom's that look like they were played by a person playing Dragon Quest in long sessions constantly chain smoking and then buried in the dirt for 20 years.

I just looked up eBay for an example:

This can be yours for a starting bid of 5 USD!

Edit: More horror shows:

And can we start "Consoles that look like Donald Trump"?

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 9, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

To be fair Nintendo are no saints. Remember when the US Supreme Court had to step in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd56K7rp7A

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

Question about the Super Everdrive/SD2SNES. How deep in the cartridge shell does the SD card fit? Does it stick out when inserted all the way?

On the SD2SNES it sticks out half a centimeter

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I got a bunch of stuff in the mail from Japan. A new Family Trainer mat (my first one started acting up, and I got all 10 games for it so :retrogames:). The Famicom lightgun had no troubles with customs, thankfully. A boxed copy of Mario Paint, and the only controller made specifically for Takahashi Meijin

it's just...so beautiful.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the back:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

I've got some ads for Michael Klim shilling the Gold Game Boy Pocket (which I had!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

And the gold N64 controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clExwASZKs

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

you can see the original label under that yellow one. Must have been a sticker.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

-Kunio-kun Complete Famicom Collection: exactly what it says, a collection of all 11 Famicom Kunio-kun games - these include the titles released overseas as Renegade, River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo World Cup and Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge plus a bunch more that were never localised: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/31114490.html

I already own the first 10 (The last one is really expensive) But I would buy it in a heartbeat if it got released in Aus/EU. (it'll never happen of course)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

It's crazy how much better Sega was and is at everything than everyone else.

I think VIZ should take credit for those ads. SEGA just okayed them.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Go to the Kirby Cafe and have Meta Knight's Secret Late Night Parfait

I love thinking about that puffball who tries to be aloof having a parfait every night in secret :3:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can anyone recommend a yahoo auctions japan proxy service?

I've used http://one-jp.com/ a fair amount and had no problems with them. I dunno how their markup for their services compares to others.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Meanwhile I'm gonna get a famicom mini from amazon.jp just so i can put it side by side with my actual famicom :shobon:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Thankfully since Japan is half 50hz and Half 60hz you wont need a stepdown convertor that also steps down the hertz (which can get really pricey and complicated). So a very cheap and basic Stepdown converter will work perfectly.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

The fact the Trinitron PVM I got for free doesn't properly work with PAL video but NTSC works perfectly made me just get a Super Famicom and my SD2SNES has loved me ever since

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I got a SEGA SC-3000H with the tape deck and boy howdy I love me some old computers. I managed to snap off one of the keys when I discovered they could be popped off (The Space Bar got stuck) and then I got messy with the superglue, and now the "ENG DEIR'S" key is stuck up and won't move. :argh:

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 29, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Ok so how many of those games were announced but never released?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

So these were discussed a few pages ago, but for my Sony PVM-2054QM I need this and This, Right?

Just for reference:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Yes, thought it looks like someone's already put BNC>RCA adapters on your RGB/YPbPr inputs so they could use a component source.

That was me. I bought a bunch in bulk because of my old Betamax and U-matic VCRs use em too so i put the rest on the Trinitron just in case

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Just a heads up, but Retro Gaming Cables also has SCART -> BNC cables so you can combine shipping if you want, you just gotta search for BNC in the box. Link

Thanks.

Anyway I need Krikzz to make a Sega SG-1000 multicart for my SC-3000. For some reason carts can get expensive for it. There's a multicart out there but you need to reflash chips like a caveman! I wanna put ROMs on a SD card :colbert:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks thread

:shepspends:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Now you just need cables for your other consoles. Oh, and mods for the ones that don't output native RGB. Oh, and a nice SCART switch so you don't have to continually switch your plugs.

NESRGB Hasn't had the adapter board for the Original Famicom for months and it's killing me. I want RGB on my favorite console and they can't take my money. :argh:

If the Trinitron I got for free worked with PAL (it should, but for some reason PAL doesn't show colour :sigh: ), I'd Try and find RGB cables for my SC-3000 and Mega Drive, but I'd have to :retrogames: in order to get a properly working Trinitron, and getting one in the first place is a battle in it's own. Of course the solution for that is to get a JP Mega Drive and SC-3000, but I got both of those for free, and I like free things.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

To be fair I also own the SD2SNES and EDGB, but i didn't get them in one go, so well done on out :retrogames:-ing me.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I don't think there's even that many Playdia games.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hey, what are those stupid faux political cartoons? idgi

It's from The Onion.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Let's see if the SNES RGB Cables I got (Which landed in Sydney according to my tracking info) and the Famicom Mini (EMS 3-5 Days shipping) Arrive before Christmas!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

I think I might have gotten my framemeister and the pc engine at the same time so I told him JP was fine because my framemeister was bundled with a JP one from Rakuten.

Hey guys, remember Rakuten?

I just used it to get a Famicom mini (Through Buyee).

But yes I remember when I got good cheap Famicom games there. :(

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you find a PVM in your stocking?

I got it for free and the only problem is it won't do PAL video.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

TeaJay posted:

I don't claim to be an expert, but I thought most PVM's on both sides of the pond would take both PAL and NTSC?

Yeah It's a PVM I got Locally (Australia), but anything PAL I feed it doesn't have any colour (and no, "Blue Only" isn't on). Right now my PAL stuff is only a Mega Drive and a Sega SC-3000.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've got a question about PVMs that I feel like I should know the answer to: aren't these not exactly "optimal" for retro games since they are such a high resolution? I remember when buying my arcade CRT I had to make sure it was a standard res monitor and NOT a medium res one or else games would look a lot worse. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have no idea of the difference. Mine's a HR Trinitron so I dunno if that's different or not.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What model is it? I mean, it could well be NTSC only, but it seems odd that it would be.

PVM-2054QM. Apparently someone else has the same problem, but no answers.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Weird.

The link below is for a PDF of the manual (multiple languages):

https://epic.awi.de/32539/1/sony-monitor_pvm-2054qm.pdf

It says that the color system should be chosen automatically (from NTSC, PAL, and SECAM), but perhaps it expects NTSC by default. There might be a menu option to manually set the color system, but beyond that, it's weird that PAL support appears to be incomplete. It might be an interesting test to try hooking up a PAL VCR or something and playing a PAL tape on it, and seeing what happens then.

Have tried a PAL VCR and it also doesn't output in colour. I'm just conviced something inside is broken.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

It's entirely possible that the PAL decoding circuitry broke while it was in use wherever it was from, and nobody noticed because they only used NTSC to it. (I may have misread, but I believe you said other things worked)

Yeah, NTSC and RGB work perfectly, it's just anything PAL doesn't bring up colour. It would have been used for PAL stuff, and maybe it's worn out over time.

So if I get an RGB cable for my Aus Mega Drive (and maybe even the SC-3000 if that does RGB out) will that work? Since it seems RGB is it's own thing.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I want the thread to know I'm putting my newly RGB SNES on my Trinitron to good use with only the best:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Not sure about the SC-3000, though odds are good that it doesn't readily do RGB output if it has, say, a 5-pin DIN port for AV stuff.

Yeah its the same port as the first Master System and Mega Drive 1. In fact I'm using the AV cable from my Mega Drive 1 for video. Ah well.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Any way to get a new GBA SP battery in Australia? It looks like I'll have to go third party.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

The Famicom Mini controllers are suprisingly very usable. Even playing Atlantis no Nazo wasn't as difficult.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

I beat Clash at Demonhead a few minutes past midnight. First retro game completion of the New Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

Good job. That's one of those games I need to whip out a notebook and tackle.

I only used a map showing the route numbers and gleaming a guide or two making sure I was on the right track. Also how to tackle the randomized Medallion puzzle at the end. (Start with just putting them in from left to right, then move over one to the right and repeat until they're all in)

• Locked thread