Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Breaking news, new retro thread: the FDS Dirty Pair game is not very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll truly never understand this :psyduck:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, the very first game, is not a bad game for its time and most of the fond memories people have for the series/character relate to that one game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

This is weird because I remember buying this for wii at a gamestop used for like 5 bucks. I think I used it once and remember it being a very barebones & not particularly good emulator package? am I remembering wrong or are collectors that weird

You remember rightly but it's the only time some of those games ever got a home version and pretty much the only legacy Data East release since they went bankrupt so it's still a sought-after thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DS has quite a good selection of sprite-based games... I wish I could say the same for the 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

The DSi preceded it. There were maybe five retail games that made use of DSi's much-hyped under-the-hood power boosts, but the majority of DS releases quietly made use of the region lock once it became available, even if they weren't designated as DSi-enhanced release. So you could play any pre-DSi DS game on any hardware, and you could play any post-DSi DS game on DS or DS Lite, but if you used a DSi you had to be mindful of regions.

The DSi region lock didn't affect the majority of post-DSi DS games, by any means - most the of the post-DSi games released were entirely region-free and even Nintendo would only region-lock their own games if they actually used the DSi hardware (mostly for WPA2 wireless compatibility).

The only noteworthy third-party games I can think of offhand that were hit by the region lock are Korg DS-10+ (which only came out in NA and genuinely uses the DSi processor for more simultaneous tracks) and Solatorobo (which came out in both regions but is/was much easier to find in Europe, but did some completely trivial poo poo with the camera).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sands of Destruction, really? I'll give you that one, I had no idea. I do remember wishing Sega would add WPA2 support to Phantasy Star Zero but they never did, which sucks because that's a game that really needed it.

(I knew about Sonic but didn't mention it because it's thoroughly inessential. It did use the DSi processor for slightly less bad emulation but it didn't help a whole lot.)

It is worth mentioning that several region-locked games were only JP-locked - you can play the NA Pokemon games on a PAL system and vice-versa but you can't play them on JP hardware, for example - so I guess it's a more acute issue for someone with a JP system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, do they realize they're basically the only people on Earth who care? A new Plok game, sure, but who was that invested in the mythos of an obscure SNES platformer?

I think they started making it in anticipation of a new game or a re-release of the original but that never happened and they just kept doing it because they don't have the budget to do anything else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where's the letter?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RZA Encryption posted:

What the hell is that?!

Capcom made a Luigi's Mansion arcade game; it came out in Japan last year, got a limited release in the US via Dave & Busters and is now available for whoever wants to lease it, I think.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/arcade/luigimansion-ac/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Anc_FYS0AE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, it's the sort of thing you'd expect Nintendo to port to Wii U if not for the fact that it's too sensible an idea.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3 > 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's putting out a Prima guide for their plug-and-play NES that's full of old Nintendo Power poo poo, so I'd assumed the NP archive was another move by them to reestablish the Nintendo Power brand as a thing, maybe so they can relaunch it as a web series or something, but I guess it's all coincidental and Ninty's just nintying everywhere like they always do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Caitlin posted:

This is a thing I was not aware of and makes sense of that entire takedown. Also, aren't they doing a reprint of the Mario comics from NP issues?

I think someone licensed that stuff, yeah, but I wanna say they announced that a while ago, long before we knew about NES Mini.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I'm sure they mentioned it (maybe unofficially) several months ago, but I could be mixing that up with the Zelda mangas or some other thing. People have been chasing a lot of that stuff (the Mother 2 manga in particular) for years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo hasn't released any new Metroid games for people to boycott since well before the last Metroid anniversary.

That being said, there's a new Metroid game out next week that I guarantee will get the reception it "deserves".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yo dos I tried out that Nyan Puzzle game you mention here http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/13720054817/article-guide-to-disc-station-mini-games

Is there a "full" game somewhere or is that the whole thing? I beat three levels and got a splash screen and that was it.

I cant remember the specifics of the original release but there's a widely-circulated version with 40 or so stages.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Project EGG (D4 Enterprise) owns the majority of Compile's old stuff and the catalogues of a few other studios from that era and they also release a lot of other stuff from companies big and small, not to mention EGG Records which does a lot of high-qualtiy OSTs. Their emulators and other frontends aren't very good but they're serious about publishing and maintaining lots of weird poo poo so I'm glad they're still kicking.

I think they released Nyanpi on iOS for a couple bucks, maybe that's the easiest option if you really want to pay for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

i was looking around a local shop (where i ended up getting a copy of jet set radio future in pretty nice condition) earlier and saw a copy of the ps2 shadow man sequel and was extremely surprised there was a loving ps2 shadow man sequel. why has shadow man entered my life twice today

Dude, it's called "2econd Coming", how could you not know?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 14, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh poo poo I've been meaning to ask about which Hamtaro games are the good ones. I just played through Ham-Ham Heart Break and it was a good game especially if you don't mine cute, slightly simple, and short. Actually wan't expecting it to be like an old school adventure game (down to having a menu of action words even!), it was a very pleasant surprise. Which other ones in the series are like that as opposed to dumb mini game collections? I remember passing up one on GBA at a shop because it was mini game oriented. It probably was that Ham Ham Games one.

Ham-Hams Unite for GBC and Ham-Ham Heartbreak for GBA are both adventure games by the same team at Nintendo and aren't hugely different in style, so if you like one you'll like the other. (The original Japan-only GBC game is by that same team but it's very different, basically proto-Tomodachi Life with hamsters.)

The others were by AlphaDream (the Mario & Luigi RPG studio) and they're all very minigame-heavy - Rainbow Rescue does have an overworld and so on but it doesn't amount to much and the minigames aren't any more challenging than those found in the later games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the Scarface game might be the most gratuitous celebrity-VA game from that era:

quote:

9th Wonder
Adell Henderson
Affion Crockett
Ahmed Best
Al Israel
Alec Willows
Alessandro Juliani
Alex Désert
Alex Mendoza
Amanda Righetti
Andre Gordon
André Sogliuzzo
Andrea Zafra
Andrew Kavadas
Andy Toth
Angie Martinez
Anthony Anderson
Ark of Tweaponz
Art Bonilla
Bai Ling
Bam Margera
Big Poch
Bishop Lamont
Bob Robertson
B-Real
Brenda Strong
Brian Dobson
Brian Drummond
Camille Martinez
Campbell Lane
Carlos Arellano
Carlos Ferro
Carrie-Anne Zronick
Cathy Weseluck
Cheech Marin
Cheming Martinez-Carroll
Cheryl Rhoades
Chuy Gomez
Clinton Sparks
Cree Summer
Crystal Scales
Daetwon Thomas
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Dale Hall
Daniel Day Kim
Dante Basco
Dave Fennoy
David Kaye
Debbie Brown
Debi Mae West
Deejay Jackson
Diora Baird
DJ Eque
DJ Kid Scratch
DJ Laz
DJ Whookid
Doug Coupland
Dylan Rhymer
Efrain Figueroa
Eileen Galindo
Elliot Gould
Enrique Sandoz
Eric Cubichee
Erik Weiner
E-Swift
Eugene Byrd
Eva De Viveiros
Felli Fell
Fred Tattasciore
Gabriel Romero
Gichi Gamba
Gillian Barberie
Glenn Plummer
Gonzalo Suarez
Greg Eagles
Heather Christie
Huey Morgan
Ice-T
Ivy Queen
Izreal of Tweaponz
Jack McGee
James Mathis III
James Woods
Jason Harris
Jay Mohr
Jennifer Robertson
Jerry Ferrara
Jessica Blossom
Joch Long
Joe Ferrero
John Marino
Jose Coronado
Julianne Grossman
Karen Holness
Karina Carreck
Kevin Dillon
Kevin Killebrew
Kim Shattuck
K-Shy
Lee Tockar
Lemmy
Linda Cullen
Louie Chorillo
Marco Rodriguez
Marcy Goldberg
Mark Oliver
Matt Hill
Mauricio Mendoza
Meagan Good
Michael Dobson
Michael Kopsa
Michael Rappaport
Michael York
Miguel Sandoval
Mr. Choc
N.O.R.E.
Nancy Sorel
Nikka Futterman
Oliver Platt
Paul Dobson
Peter Kelamis
Peter New
Phil LaMarr
Pitbull
Planet Asia
Psalmz of Tweaponz
Rene Mujica
Richard Green
Richard Roundtree
Rick Yune
Ricky Gervais
Rik Kiviabe
Rino Romano
Robert Davi
Robert Lassardo
Robert Loggia
Rodney Saulsberry
Rohff
Roma Maffia
Roxanna Hernandez
Ruben Trujillo
Scott McNeil
Sen Dog
Shani Pride
Steven Bauer
Stoney Emshwiller
Tabitha St. Germain
Thomas Chong
Tim Harrison
Tiny Lister
Tommy Lee
Tony Plana
Tony Samson
Vida Guerra
Wanda Christine
Wes Parker
Wilmer Valderama
Yareli Arizmendi

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

Yeah, it sucks given Microsoft's "put the disc in" approach, but the PS4 versions are actual remasters compared to the PS3 versions which are emulated. They frequently go on sale enough that I don't mind it. Bully right now is $10 and some change.

It's definitely still emulation. A lot of the "enhancements" that were reported for some of the early PS2-on-PS4 games were due to inaccurate emulation that just happened to be beneficial to those particular games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Technical issues aside, Starfox 2 is really cool and I wish they'd give it an official port/re-release instead of reinterpreting it as crappier games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm gonna skip the last 100 posts to state that the stupidest "gut a thing to make a tackier thing" trend is the Game Boy Macro: http://gameboymacro.com/

d0s posted:

crimzon clover is a rare modern bullet hell game that's also super good & I encourage anyone who thinks that subgenre is poo poo to get it on steam or whatever because it will surprise and delight you

Crimzon Clover is ghetto modern Cave, you should hate it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

crimzon clover isn't by cave, it was made by a single dude from home and is better than anything cave has put out in at least a decade

It's a (great) hodgepodge of stuff he took from modern Cave games is my point. I don't get how you can be dismissive of modern Cave games and supportive of CC as if they aren't fundamentally similar games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Allen Wren posted:

...what is SFX?

It's just SSF2T. "X" is the Japanese name for Turbo.

The Dreamcast version isn't really novel outside of being a relatively accurate port with online play. (HD Remix was baed on the codebase from the Dreamcast port.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It also has a lot of options for tweaking, the sort of flipping virtual dipswitch stuff that a lot of later PS2-era collections started adding. If you're a big fan of SFII, it's by far the coolest home version. I can't imagine the online play was ever worth using, but the other stuff is really cool. Also the booklet and packaging are full of a lot of art that only got used in things like arcade flyers and on the physical arcade carts which is all pretty cool looking stuff. Vampire Chronicle was also pretty awesome, it's not super balanced, but the mode select stuff is pretty neat if you want the Hyper Street Fighter II of Darkstalkers games.

Yeah, it was definitely fine for the time and one of the first Capcom fighting game ports that didn't need to be compromised due to the hardware, it's just something that's been made redundant by how easy it is to just emulate the arcade game.

That being said, Capcom seems to avoid emulation-based re-releases of arcade SF2 wherever possible - they've pushed the old SNES/MD ports a few times and even oddities like the GBA port and Fighting Street for TG16, plus HD Remix, but the only time they've ever re-released the original arcade games was on those PS2/Xbox collections from a decade ago. Those games should be on everything ever and I'm sure the likes of Iron Galaxy, Digital Eclipse, etc have made pitches to re-release them, but even now they're shockingly scarce.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Allen Wren posted:

wait what

are we literally talking a dio video game here?

It's not officially licensed or anything but all the characters/enemies are named after metal bands, musicians, etc. It's a pretty decent game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

I regret not sending in the card for a Rocket Knight Adventures t-shirt.

Don't worry, the superior Sonic killer now has officially-licensed merch on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019989O1Y/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_4/166-8851745-5991837

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I had the Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy Color which was pretty amusing.

I had the purple one but later replaced it with this tacky piece of poo poo:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

that is probably the funniest game boy i've ever seen

Here's the back:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly I bet that thing is worth a lot of money, Australian exclusives tend to be hard to find, even in Australia (due to how much their games distribution apparently sucks.)

Last time I checked it went for maybe $150AUD boxed. I don't think it's very rare - I sure as hell wasn't looking for one when I got mine, it's just what they had at the time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The coolest LE GBC is the system in the Sakura Taisen GB bundle:

It even has a matching Pocket Pikachu-esque companion device:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MrLonghair posted:

I bet Sakura Taisen lives on in pachislot form, just like all the old franchises that deserve better.

Nah, it's crossover fodder for mobile games nowadays.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For the curious; the emulation (and maybe even the engineering?) for the NES Classic is being handled by Nintendo European Research and Development, the studio formerly known as Mobiclip; they're also responsible for the DS emulator on Wii U, the 3D head-tracking on New 3DS and various first-party video streaming implementations, among other things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Out of nowhere, Data Discs started selling a Golden Axe vinyl today: http://data-discs.com/products/goldenaxe

It's the music from the first two MD games on 180g vinyl, with a choice of gold or black (there was a gold/purple swatch option but it's sold out):

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castle of Illusion HD is being delisted at the end of the week (September 2), go buy that poo poo if you have any interest in playing it ever again. (It's on X360, PS3, PC and mobile, PC's the only version with 60FPS.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

What's the preservation status on the Samba de Amigo Dreamcast DLC (Like the Sonic Adventure soundtrack) anyway?

You can get a lot of DLC from this site using your DC browser: http://dcdlc.com/downloads.html

There are also VMU/save archives you can burn to a CD-R and load directly to your VMU and I imagine most DLC is on there,

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's rad as hell. I don't have a Dreamcast (yet) but it's great to know that stuff is preserved and accessible.

Yeah, most DLC is just unlocks for stuff that's already on the disc so it was easy to archive while it was active and relatively easy to spoof.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good news for everyone who bemoaned the NES Visual Compendium's lack of interview material: they announced they're now working with the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers guy. Thanks a bunch, monkey paw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Castle of Illusion HD is being delisted at the end of the week (September 2), go buy that poo poo if you have any interest in playing it ever again. (It's on X360, PS3, PC and mobile, PC's the only version with 60FPS.)

Update: MS made ths game a backwards-comaptible title for XB1, so if you think you'll ever want to play it there, buy it before the end of the week.

• Locked thread