Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Upon dissection, Green Hill Zone is a weird fuckin' tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Really? I see dreamcasts everywhere and rarely see saturns in the wild. That's crazy.

Saturn sold quite well in Japan and the hardware's not at all hard to find over there.

The Dreamcast was only really kicking outside of Japan for around a year, whereas the Saturn just felt that way thanks to clowns like Bernie Stolar.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's the PC version of Final, cleaned up a little for 720p.

There's a black one and a limited-edition yellow one that's probably already sold out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Would it have killed iam8bit to, like, change the packaging or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Uh that wasn't upside down that was "manga style"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My assumption, based on absolutely no research, is that it's actually really cheap to make new cartridges.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

A bit of an off-the-wall question: are there IPS patches for Genesis/Megadrive games which modify games for 6-button controllers? For example, making it so that games which support them but default to assuming you have a 3-button, now have the default option set to 6-button? Or games which were originally 3-button games which got patched for 6 buttons in some capacity?

They exist for certain games but they're not common.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rob Zombie?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

falz posted:

Speaking of, I'm not seeing any updates on that Genesis starfox port. It did appear to run at similar frame rate without any special helper chips though. BLAST PROCESSING!

The guy who made it moved onto other things like the pseudo-mode-7 tech demos and the Wolfenstein port. He's working on converting Super Noah's Ark 3D to MD for Wisdom Tree at the moment, I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The N64 emulator on Wii isn't great so you're pretty much limited to playing whatever's available to download from Virtual Console and/or randomly injecting ROMs into VC emulators and hoping they work okay (and they rarely do).

N64 VC emulation on Wii U is pretty bad, in my experience - a lot of games run at incorrect speeds and there are very obvious issues pertaining to the analogue stick.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I could be wrong but the WarioWare game for Gamecube is pretty much just an emulator running a hacked up version of the GBA ROM, isn't it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XtraSmiley posted:

And to make this a retro themed post, what's the biggest change in a 16-bit game in regards to food items? I'm thinking Mystical Ninja, but maybe there were others? (i.e. changing Japanese cuisine into American).

It's not a 16-bit game but Dragon Power, the unlicensed western conversion of the first Dragon Ball game, gave not-Master Roshi a burning desire for not-Bulma's "sandwiches" which I'm pretty sure were just the original panties sprite flipped upside-down.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've never heard an explicit term for what you're talking about, just generic stuff like "power-down" or what have you.

A lot of the old Japanese superplay videos would cover that sort of thing - not only would they show the one-credit clear, they'd show recovery patterns for every checkpoint/spawn point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is this not the same collection available on the 3DS in Japan?

This one also has the NES versions and online multiplayer, and is on systems that aren't region-locked.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

50 Cent Blood on the Sand (has achievements on 360)

It has trophies on PS3, you just have to import the Japanese version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FilthyImp posted:

IIRC, Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be one of those True Crime or whatever games and then they just decided to make it its own thing.

Sort of - it was an original game that Activision made them turn into a True Crime game, then Activision dropped it and Square-Enix picked it up and it became a (different) original game again.

The very first version was called Black Lotus and it had a female protagonist based on Lucy Liu.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XtraSmiley posted:

Anyway, enough about my Everdrive buying habits. Any of you guys ever played Ghost Chaser Densei? I thought TMNT 4 was the best brawler on the SNES, but I think this is my new favorite. Anyone have one that tops it?

Ghost Chaser Densei is a port of an arcade game called Denjin Makai and they had to cut out a lot of content for the port, so definitely check out the original arcade game (and the sequel which is just as good if not better). Even as hacked up as the port is, it really might be the best brawler on SNES/SFC.

If you want something weird, try Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou - it was made by the Cho Aniki people and it's not much fun to play but it's packed with goofy bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never bothered playing Rayearth because everybody always complained about it being really short but it's probably the ideal length for me nowadays.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of the buzz around Magic Knight Rayearth centered on it being made by most of the team that made Phantasy Star 4, from memory.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Mario RPG is quite short - 15 hours to the end and a few more for 100%, I guess? The Mario & Luigi RPG for GBA is about the same length.

Chrono Trigger's around 20, so's Phantasy Star 4. I wanna say Earthbound is around that long, maybe longer, but it'll require more grinding than CT/PS4.

They're not classic nor Japanese but Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is pretty brisk (and free), as is Undertale - they're both around 6 hours long, give or take.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 27, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's not shutting down Miiverse because they're cheap, they're shutting it down because they want their customers to post about their games on public-facing social media and not walled communities where everyone is already sold on the product.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MrLonghair posted:

it should not be like that unless Capcom did some unique undocumented things and this and only this emulator doesn't support them.

Capcom audio work was notoriously slapdash on SNES and it wouldn't surprise me if they're the anomaly here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're French, it can't be helped.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus has yet to be ported to anything, so don't ditch your Xbox just yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Why didn't the game just use that font in the first place? :psyduck:

Secret of Mana's localisation was really rushed - they translated and programmed the entire thing in three weeks or something, from memory.

Variable-width fonts weren't commonplace to begin with, and I think Square only started doing it at Woolsey's insistence.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That translation is still better than the official GBA babelfish translation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the PSP version's extras aren't taken from the Saturn port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I read the article wrong - they have permission from Stardock (current owners of the IP) and have been working on a sequel for a while, they just can't use the name. Their deal is with Activision.

Why can't they use the name?

Come to think of it, isn't Stardock's game set in a different universe with different characters? How is it that they've ended up with one game being a sequel in name only and the other one being a genuine sequel with a different name?

• Locked thread