Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Channel F is probably the best system to collect for that no one wants. The system has two points of novelty in its favor: It's the first game console with programmable cartridges, and the controller is pretty interesting. It seems pretty rare and hard to get ahold of, I've rarely ever seen games outside of ebay. On the no one wants it front, the system is not super expensive, and the games are generally dirt cheap I was getting complete in box games for like $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Retropie people, I've got some questions.

Cases. I want to set up one Pi 3 as a portable game console. I've got a couple of those cheap-o $5 plastic shells, but they aren't interesting. I'll probably use those for other Pi based projects. For the portable game console I keep in my backpack, I want a fun game console looking case. I have access to 3D printers, laser cutters, and other tooling to build my own. Anyone have some links to cool models for Pi cases with a retro gaming flavor?

RGB out. I noticed the Pi 3 has two video outputs: HDMI and composite video. Is there a way I could somehow get RGB + sync out to run a Pi 3 with MAME on an arcade monitor? Going the other route of converting HDMI to RGB seems pretty expensive and likely to introduce some latency. Same with converting the composite video to RGB, which would also be a lower quality signal.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cart reproductions are a lot of fun. My brother and fiance both like to get me them as birthday gifts now, it's a fun retro thing that never existed. I got Live a Live this year.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Flash carts fall out of 'gift price' range for most people I know. Repros fall really well into the sweet spot for gifts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

d0s posted:

wow you sound almost as cool as the cool guys who paint their game boys purple and only use them as synthesizers

I like those, too. It's two hobbies I really enjoy that I can combine together in a new and exciting way. If you guys prefer the past to be static here, I'll stop sharing anything that's been modified from its original purpose. I didn't expect the vitriol at all about this stuff here, I had been excited to share my new carts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really like the overlap in retro gaming and video synthesis right now, and the cool things people are doing in both places. The big downsides right now are the price and the compatibility gotchas between different video synthesizer manufactures. One item on my list to get eventually is something I think I originally found in this thread a few years ago, the Special Stage Systems World Core. It's a voltage controlled video synthesizer wrapped around an '80s style game console: http://www.specialstagesystems.com/system-overview/
Mixing that with a full Eurorack synthesizer setup, you could build a simple video game driven by modules inputting and outputting control voltages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtVMaN07tc

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The PS2 library is so fantastic. It's the system I have the most titles for, and yet I still feel like there are a ton of fun or interesting games to pick up. I picked up some games a few weeks ago.
Nightmare Before Christmas is not a great game, but it's kind of crazy that it exists. Transformers is a very bad game, but it's cool that it has so many G1 transformers in it. I remember really enjoying Spy Hunter 1, and both titles were like a dollar or two each. Simpsons Hit and Run I remember being fun in the same way the recent South Park was, it lets you just get in and explore the town the show is set in.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Recommending someone play Diddy Kong Racing is like recommending they place Mario Party 1. That game will destroy your fingers. You have to mash the A button as fast as you can while driving the car, which gets tiring fast. Multiplayer games are basically just endurance matches to see who's fingers get sore first.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Looking it up again, the car in Diddy Kong Racing goes 90 if you are rapidly tapping the A button, and only 60 if you hold it down. I think the top speed of the airplane and hovercraft are also around 60. I don't know how you could even beat the big pig in the story mode without doing this.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was digging out some old retro handhelds today, and had trouble booting up one of them. The Zodiac, Lynx, and Neo Geo Pocket Color boot up fine. I didn't try the Game Gear. The one system that didn't boot was the Wonderswan Color. Are there any known issues with these? I tried multiple batteries, and I just got some white lines across the screen. I also tried fiddling with the contrast knob.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Whats the best way to sell a whole collection? I have a lot of games (600+?) spanning multiple consoles. I'm not sure if I have the time right now to do the whole 1 at a time deal on sa mart or other forums.

See if there's someone in your town that sells stuff on eBay for commission that knows a lot about games. My dad retired earlier this year and sold off all the old games we left at his place doing this so he could move. Saved him a ton of time and got him more money than he would have otherwise gotten. I didn't buy or take th games from my parents because I had re-bought almost all of it since I moved out of my parents place over a decade ago.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

krursk posted:

I've just done my inventory of arcade boards to discover that my CPS2 motherboard has finally given up the ghost (it was damaged by the previous operator and didn't do sound properly). I was going to replace it and give marvel superheroes some love but I see that CPS2 games and motherboards have gone right up in price lately. After some quick research I find out that since September last year you can easily de-suicide CPS2 boards yourself without a Phoenix hackjob. Great for those stacks of old games with dead batteries but not so much for diligent battery replacing people like me. I should have replaced that motherboard when I had the far cheaper chance in 2015.

At least my Mortal Kombat 2 still works awesomely. I really got to get a dedicated cabinet for that one.

Looking up the process, I wouldn't say it's necessary easily done. Definitely looks easier and less invasive than Pheonixing the boards, but it still needs a bunch of hardware to get going. I'm heavy into Arduino and Raspberry Pi stuff, and it still looks like it would cost me somewhere between $10 and $40 depending on board revision.

Has anyone done this yet?

https://github.com/ArcadeHacker/ArcadeHacker_CPS2/blob/master/Capcom%20CPS2%20Security%20Programming%20Guide.pdf

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if Frank's going to pimp his new venture here so I'll do it for him: he's officially launched a non-profit org to work full-time on the preservation of games and game history and you can help fund their work via Patreon or one-off donations:

http://gamehistory.org/

https://www.patreon.com/gamehistoryorg

I jumped on this Patreon, and I'm seeing if he'll take donations. My N64 and Saturn dev manuals aren't really doing much just sitting on my shelf. After having a giant pile of dev hardware for GameGear, Saturn, N64, Playstation, and Xbox stolen a few years ago I figured it's a good idea to get this stuff into the hands of someone serious about preservation.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Only Shallow posted:

Have you ever wanted a Nintendo DS Player? They exist! ...Kind of! We got our hands on Intelligent Systems' Nitro (the DS's codename) Capture unit, meant for trade shows and the like.

Those capture kits are so nifty. I really wanted to get one when the DS life cycle was over, but I wasn't able to find a way to convince anyone to let me take one home.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm going to call this round-about-retro, because I couldn't find an arcade thread. Therefore, the concept of arcades is retro, and I can share this here.

There's a relatively new bowling alley / arcade near Seattle, it's part of a chain called Round 1. It was phenomenal, it felt like what big arcades felt like in the early '90s.

Highlights:
Luigi's Mansion arcade

The table flipping game

My favorite, DEVICE PLUGGED INTO WRONG PORT

Mario Kart and Cruis'n.

Silent Hill

Great ticket prizes like Gundams

There is a world where a new Sega console came out recently, and this was basically an arcade full of the Dreamcast 3's library.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We're re-organizing, here's the new layout for the consoles not under the TV.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Can you even fit a cart in that N64?

This shelf is in a different room than the TV, it's display/storage. When we play a system we'll grab it off the shelf, grab the associated box of controllers and cables, and hook it up to the TV.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm doing a ton of house cleaning, and going through boxes of old paperwork. I found this amazing flyer and am not tossing it out.
edit: I don't know if I got this at GDC in 2004, or if I got this when the Phantom guys gave a presentation at Full Sail when I was attending in 2003.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

a converter to play jamma games in an MVS cabinet finally popped up on eBay. I tried to make my own but I'm bad at that sort of things and the cost of loving up is pretty high.
Also, my Gigawing hasn't suicided and it's been quite a while since I checked.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was shopping for arcade boards on the internet and saw this weird shmup that is all ripped Starcraft sprites for sale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipdu7fofmk

I was about to bid on it, and realized it's a vertical game, so it wouldn't work in my cabinet. It's amazing that it exists, and I hadn't heard of it until now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Well you dodged a bullet (!), Korean shmups (KR arcade games in general, really) are lovely. Looks like the gameplay and UI are ripped from Psikyo games.

You should have a vert cabinet anyway. Buy another one :retrogames:

A candy cabinet is on my list for when I have a bit more room. My current cabinet is already in an obnoxious position. Luckily a big red kind of matches the red walls of my rental unit.

d0s posted:

uhh yeah don't buy that or anything like it; if you want a cheap shooter that's decent the first aerofighters is always like $50

also your cab probably can play vertical games, you just need to rotate the monitor. if you post a pic of your cab or the model I can tell you for sure but its usually easy

I've got a collection of decent shmups already. Gigawing, 1944 loop master, Aero Fighters 2, Blazing Star, and a dumb but fun shmup, Captain Tomaday. I mostly was interested in that because I'm a huge fan of Starcraft. Plain jamma boards are ugly and don't store well, so it's easy to skip. As long as I'm sober.

Rotating my monitor won't be easy in this cabinet.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Retro vinyl update:

Zuntata Arcade Classics Vol.2: DARIUS from Ship to Shore, out today for $20 in red or blue:

Limited Run Games will be releasing an exclusive marble variant alongside their Dariusburst PS4 release:

Silent Hill 2x LP from Mondo, out today for $30. (They've also restocked on their Castlevania series vinyl and some other stuff):

Ninja Gaiden: The Definitive Soundtrack Vol. 1 and 2 from Brave Wave, on sale from April 13; each volume is a 2x LP covering two games (NG arcade & NES for Vol.1, N2 & 3 for Vol.2) with music remastered by the original composers and there's a bundle that includes bother with a interview/art booklet, as well as regular and LE box set with more stuff, plus it's releasing to CD and digital as well. There's lots more art at the link, here's the basic records/covers:

Thanks for these cool links. Now to see how long my self control lasts.

I have actually picked up a record player since the last time I posted about foolishly buying video game vinyl.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone know where to get a SwinSID Nano?

Googling just leads me to long dead web stores.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How are you liking those Sailor Moon wands? We were at the Think Geek store in the mall recently and noticed them. My fiance was a bit interested, but they seemed to be at a bad place between quality and cost.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Twin Goddesses is a terrible game, but it's the kind of terrible that has to be seen to be believed. I can't wait to inflict it on other people by surprise. There is no other reaction to this game than "What the gently caress did I just play?"

By the end of your post I ordered this from eBay.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Seattle retro game expo is this weekend http://www.seattleretro.org/
Even though it's never been nearly as impressive as the Portland retro game expo, I'll still check it out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Seattle retro game expo is still tiny without a ton of vendors, but I found a surprising number of games this year. I almost bought a Hello Kitty Dreamcast, but it was the blue and not the pink one, so I passed.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

All New Sonic posted:

Unfortunately, I'm still poor-ish and don't have any devices that accept RGB, so I didn't bother. Some day, though! :retrogames:

I have a feeling those are the very same carts I was eyeing at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma. Did you catch the name of the vendor?

I picked these up spread across 4 vendors, I don't remember any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same, I have to imagine most of those vendors go to both.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Machine posted:

Someone convince me to not buy a Neo Geo X off ebay...

I don't really get the point of the Neo Geo X. If you want to play with OK emulation, you can get the games on anything from PS2 onward pretty easily. If you want a Neo Geo console, then get one or an MVS. The Neo Geo X isn't even that cheap, either, just save up a bit more and get a Nintendo Switch, you'll get access to a large library of Neo Geo games in a portable format, and can player other good games.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

univbee posted:

The Dreamcast versions of the Typing of the Dead support 2 players with distinct keyboards, correct? That's a leg up over the PC version if so.

The PC version supports LAN play.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Did Tetra's Trackers in 4 Swords ever get a US release, like as part of the 3DS release or something else? I had a friend with an import copy of 4 Swords, and it was a really cool game mode, I think it was my favorite of the different modes in 4 Swords.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rirse posted:

Were any of the non Final Fantasy worth visiting on the PS1? Xenogears and Suikoden 1 & 2 are some my favorite games of all time, and the more actionary ones like Brave Fencer Musashi and Vagrant Story were awesome, but then I see entries I never hear much about like Jade Cocoon.

It depends on what draws you to JRPGs. Games like Jade Cocoon, Legend of Legaia, and Legend of Dragoon generally aren't great for most people. The stories aren't super interesting, the graphics weren't that good, even at the time. Each one does have some novelty that makes it fun if you are really into the genre.

Jade Cocoon has some simple Pokemon style monster collecting and battling. Legend of Legaia has an input system on combat that I enjoyed. When you select to do a basic attack, you input directions on the d-pad. Each direction eats up some portion of the bar. As you play, you unlock fighting move style combinations you can input. Legend of Dragoon's production values are higher than most other PS1 RPGs, but that doesn't mean much nowadays. The combat has an active time component, similar to Mario RPG, where you need to press a key at the right time to maximize the damage you do.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Retropie question: There's no quick way to use both the SD card and USB storage, is there? The easy instructions look like they store all roms on the USB and don't use the SD at all.
The one solution I can think of trying is mount the drive somewhere using fstab, and then symlink the systems on the SD card to the USB that I've put on the USB. This is tedious and seems like a maintenance headache.

This thread covers the simple setup for using an external drive and not using the SD card at all: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive
This thread makes it look like I'm on the right track: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/147

edit: Doing it that way worked, it does require a symlink per-system.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 8, 2017

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What are some GBA games worth playing that aren't Nintendo first/second-party games or huge flagship titles (e.g. the Castlevania and FF games) of some kind?

Car Battler Joe

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We were checking out NES romhacks today. Most were garbage, but we discovered Metroid Incursion Plus which was really cool. It's a custom map layout, and custom art set. The art set is really cool, especially for the environments. There are no visually floating platforms, everything has some scaffolding or something else holding it up. It also has a map accessible from the pause menu which is really useful.

It looks like the author went on to make another popular rom hack called Metroid Rogue Dawn, which we'll have to check out later.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I played some of the Metroid Rogue Dawn rom hack last night. Far more technically impressive than Incursion Plus, which was already impressive. The early level design was a little more convoluted than in Incursion Plus, though.

I had originally written romhacks as usually falling into half assed sprite swaps. These two have shown me that people can put serious effort and craft into rom hacks. Does anyone know of any other high quality ones I've missed?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sonic 3 was expensive when it came out, and really short. I remember getting it, beating it in a weekend, and being pissed. Sonic 2 and 1 were also short, but we had gotten those as pack-ins or something so it didn't feel as much of a rip-off. Paying upward of $50 for the less than 4 hours of Sonic 3 sucked. It's really hard to find info on what the launch prices of Genesis and SNES games were, I just remember them being all over the place, from $40 to $100.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shuffle or Boogie is such a great earworm of a song. I also really liked a lot of the rest of the Final Fantasy 8 soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

the_lion posted:

I just spotted this video on how genesis games music was coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

I thought it was pretty interesting.

This was great, and covers my cross love of retro games and music production really well.

• Locked thread