Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

falz posted:

Looks like an n64 game. Obviously not a compliment.

What N64 games are you playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh good maybe I'll finally get around to playing Secret of Mana once this drops, but only if they fix up the lovely sprinting and combat that turns me off the original.

nudge nudge

You know what doesn't have lovely sprinting and combat? Legend of Mana.

The Mana series has to be the most inconsistent series released by a major company and nobody I've met has liked more than two games from it. Yes, there's someone out there that loved Children of Mana.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I like Final Fantasy Adventure and Sword of Mana and Adventures of Mana.

I'm so sorry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

falz posted:

None because it's a terrible console. </opinion>

Wow I can't tell the difference it's like someone holding up Earthbound and an NES game they're just too similar.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I can't play SoM because I actually played through SD3 first and couldn't bring myself to roll back to the inferior gameplay.

I played a little bit of LoM but didn't much like the "make your world map" thing it had going on. Mostly because I didn't fully understand it. I should give it another shot.

The issue with Legend of Mana is that it's one of those "you get out what you put in" games. You don't have to worry about world map placement, unlocking new skills, or crafting and just cruise control through an unremarkably easy game that will let you eventually beat it despite missing half the major plot threads. But if you dive in deep there's a lot of content to explore. I think someone got cold feet here and toned the difficulty down because it gives you all these ways to overcome obstacles that are never a challenge.

But LoM basically informed my taste in tabletop RPGs and whenever I DM a game I hand the players an empty map with a single town in the middle and say "where are you guys heading?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I'll be honest—I never finished it because there was something wrong with my cart and it froze quite a bit (or else the game was just like that), so if it got really poo poo toward the end, I never got to experience that. Aside from that and some of the sidequests being stuff you couldn't possibly figure out without a guide, I didn't have any problems with it. I liked how it wasn't a straight remake and fleshed out/put a new spin on characters and events from the original game. I'd much rather play it again than Legend of Mana.

Eugh, that fleshing out was the problem. It still retains a story as deep as a Game Boy game could be but adds in more dialog and cutscenes. There's no way you can make a compelling narrative with a character named DARK LORD. I don't know how anyone could put it above Legend, a game that's just better in literally every field but hey diff'rent strokes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Legend of Mana had a neat art style and I liked the world map design part (although the mechanics of it were really opaque), but it played horribly. It was trivially easy, and even if it weren't, the gameplay just felt stiff and awkward, like the designers weren't entirely sure whether they wanted to make an action RPG or not. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember the dungeon design being extremely lazy too—just bland hallways filled with repetitious enemy encounters you steamrolled through by holding forward and mindlessly tapping the attack button. There was no incentive to using special moves or magic except wanting to see the animation, I guess.

Couple that with the disproportionate, irrational hatred for mediocre/flawed games that comes with being a teenager and... yeah. 0/10, this game is garbage, ruined my life and I'll hate it forever. The way people who hated Chrono Cross felt about Chrono Cross—that's how I felt about Legend of Mana.

LoM is an actual action game though. Replaying SoM I don't even know what they were trying to design as enemy hit calculations happen one at a time and an on a timer so you whack a dude a couple times and it just sort of gyrates until suddenly numbers pop above its head. Bosses are limp and ineffectual, either comboing screen freezing magic one after the other unless you the player does the same to it. I can't say SoM is any different, it's just as easy except it lacks any visual flair or feedback that comes from a game that actually has hitboxes and stun frames.

SD3 kind of improved on it but then decided to run away with the difficulty and actively gently caress you for character upgrade choices. Oh, you picked the wrong upgraded class? Looks like your healer is permanently not a healer!

Neither of those games really had "dungeons" either. Move around three or four screens, a couple dead ends with an enemy that spawns, use a whip to cross a ravine. I can at least respect Sword for trying some puzzles but these aren't dungeon crawlers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't played Racing Lagoon but there isn't a PS1 era Square game I wouldn't play for at least a few hours.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Well that's more than enough time to finish Parasite Eve. :v:

I wish there were more dense games that end before they hit the teens. Supergiant are the ones carrying that torch forward.

Harlock posted:

Where's my Parasite Eve remake

I'm legit interested in the Fear Effect remake but only if they keep the cel shaded style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I know you're joking, but Square's output for the Famicom Disk System is essentially a list of terrible games.

Also, Vagrant Story is the good tactical RPG that Square released for the PS1. :colbert:

It is a good tactical RPG, yes.

Sir Tonk posted:

mystic quest

Mystic Quest is average at worst shuttup.

Ostentatious posted:

Parasite Eve 2

Certified good game, it has my seal of approval.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember Spirits Within being boring as poo poo with little action and a lot of bad dialog. Something about unkillable aliens that steal your soul by touching you and there's no real way to fight them, not an interesting concept for me. I remember Titan AE more vividly than Spirits Within.

e: Also never trust anyone who put FF8 anywhere near on a list of worst games like c'mon people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

sure, "hilarious"

totally "hilarious" that I wasted an entire summer playing through it without really grasping what I was supposed to do such that the random encounters only got worse, happening more and more often...not knowing I had to draw spells from bosses (because you stock up on poo poo BEFORE you fight a boss, why would I spend rounds not buffing/debuffing, dealing damage or healing myself?) and basically winning fights by summoning GFs and breaking my thumb rapid-firing on the boost ability --- and then finding myself having saved my game on lunatic pandora right before the final fujin/raijin fight, which I could not beat, nor could I go back and grind up.

like sixty-plus hours in a summer where my mother would only let me play for like a half hour at a time before yelling at me to do some kind of a chore or just to go outside

*leans in and whispers*

you should've paid more attention at school

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Not ashamed to say that this is the disc in my Wii U at the moment. It's fun. It's just a different kind of fun.

I was super excited to play it, bought it day one for the cute amiibos. One turn in my sister, who loves Animal Crossing, Mario Party, and Japanese video game boardgames she turned to me and said "this loving sucks."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zelda 2 shouldn't have had lives. Just let me restart at the temple entrance you assholes.

Now the real "better Zelda 2" is Battle of Olympus. It basically starts out Zelda 2 without an overworld in the first half then turns into Castlevania 2 in the end with level design that could pass easily.

e: Ah man, I forgot you basically fight Shadow Link at the end of it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 27, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Castlevania 2 redacted hack takes it from a 5/10 game to an 8/10. I cannot imagine how the series continued if people first played it on Disk System where you have to change disks between towns and if you get knocked back into town well gently caress you, player.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

The Secret of Mana remake really looks like it began as a Vita/mobile game and got bumped up to Vita/PS4/Steam.

I love that shot of them riding Flammie, though.

I like the graphical style, I'm a sucker for "low poly" and the Mega Man Legends anime textures. But because Square is doing one-for-one remakes you get scenes that look outright goofy like the fight with Spiky which looks like a huge courtyard on a tiny 4:3 screen but is comically small in 3D.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I agree with that sentiment. I'm still running with my original (well, when they added the rumble back in) DS3 while my original DS4 has replacement rubber pads and the d-pad on my original 360 controller jiggles worse than an N64 stick after a bout of Mario Party.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sorry but the DS3 was designed by an absolute dumbass if not only because the triggers bend outward. Why the gently caress would anyone think that's a good idea?

Also the stick nubs curve upward, though that's a holdover from the DS1 and 2. Still though whyyy

They definitely curve in. Like the PS2's "sensitive" buttons the triggers were meant for racing game where variable pressure can be placed. Thankfully designers don't really do that poo poo anymore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:confused: Then why do my fingers keep slipping off of the triggers when I press them? I'm hoping one of us is mixing up what it means when something curves "outward" vs. "inward"

Okay, you mean convex/concave. Yeah, I don't know I never had any issues with the triggers. I can't explain it in technical terms but the triggers are easy to press with very little pressure needed and the pivot point is close enough to L1/R1 that I can hold down a trigger while tapping the shoulder buttons with my knuckle kind of like how you can cradle an NES controller's B/A with your thumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

Where can I get a clip of the howling wind effect used in FF6 and Chrono Trigger that sounded like a weirdass digital WHOOoooOooOoOAAOOO noise on older versions of snes9x? That was the way I first experienced those games back in like '02-'04 and for the longest time I didn't realise that wasn't what it was supposed to sound like.

My emulator test has always been Secret of Mana which is I think the mana beast's cry but on bad hardware it sounds like the wind or someone with an upset tummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In an alternate universe, AtGames manufactured the SNES Classic.

• Locked thread