Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I had it as a kid for the NES (unlicensed tengen game) and it was pretty good but the arcade version is much better looking. I just learned they made a ps2 remake that keeps the spirit of the disgusting alien grossness, but it just doesn't feel right.

https://youtu.be/D_0dezzk0s0

That's the version Sega made for the Sega Ages line, though the picture they show is of the reboot game that was also released for the Wii. That one plays pretty well, better than most of the PS2 remakes in that series.

In the US it's available on the Sega Classics Collection which bundled several of the PS2 remakes into one disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

I, too, think this.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

Keith Courage is OK for a level or two but then it's just the same thing over and over. Those gun-head dudes aren't as neat when you see them in every stage. And don't get me started on the money-grinding.

I figured out very quickly to only buy every other weapon.

Kieth Courage is essentially mid-tier Japanese developer filler from the late-80's. The Famicom library has a ton of that kind of thing in it and the major advantage that Kieth Courage has over something like Bio Warrior Dan or Esper Adventure is that it has a wider color palette. It would be utterly forgettable, not even getting Youtube videos featuring fat guys sitting in front of a wall of video games screaming that it's the worst thing ever, if it wasn't for the fact that it was a pack-in.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The percentage of shovelware on handhelds up to the DS was always high but it's not as if the GBA didn't have plenty of good games anyway.

I wouldn't give the DS a particularly high good-to-crap ratio, either. It's got a deep library of terrible licensed games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to blame Guardians of the Galaxy for cassette tapes being in again. I know that's probably wrong, but I feel the need to blame somebody.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2DCAT posted:

This post literally made me play this just now lol

For shame. Someone has replaced the one and two player buttons incorrectly on that cabinet.

I can't do that with many arcade cabinets, but it's really easy with Dragon's Lair.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Really curious how you do this 'incorrectly"? Just because they are a different color/brand?

The correct Dragon's Lair player buttons have a picture of Dirk the Daring on them. Though apparently looking around, white button versions exist, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did they take your kidney after knocking you out, or just your wallet and possessions? :ohdear:

It makes me glad to know that the concept of the really sleazy arcade is not yet dead.

Are there tough looking teenagers bumming cigarettes just inside?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Have we considered the possibility that Sonic 2 is the only good one?

Well, Sonic 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, of course.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You'd think all they'd need to do for a negative review is say, "Somebody remade Night Trap!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You'd think the easy solution to this would be a plug in that fits between a controller and the console that lets you map the controller however you want.

Actually, a "controller remapper" for SNES and Genesis would be pretty cool given how rare remapping controls was in that era (and is still sadly too rare).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Oh my god someone finally made the perfect "plug and play" game system.

Please please please tell me it's the arcade game inside there.

I think for my birthday I'm going to order one of the LCD keychain versions of this from Japan...

Edit: Actually, scratch that. Link me to the amazon.co.jp entry for that baby.

Edit2: 1. Got it. 2. Holy gently caress that price. Why don't I just buy a Shinkansen controller as long as I'm :retrogames: ing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Brief googling suggests it's the 2004 PS2 iteration in the box, not the arcade game.

The screenshot on the Amazon page makes it look like someone did a widescreen adaptation of Final.

Edit: I checked the contents of it and it is definitely Final. The lines are exactly the same.

Another edit: Why did nobody tell me they released an official Densha de Go pocketwatch last year? Finally those spots in the controller can be filled in properly.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 22, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've only ever played the original Scribblenauts so that's good info to know!

Scribblenauts is one of those things I find way better in concept than execution. In a perverse way, the fact that it's so open ended made the designers narrow the puzzles and interactions down a lot. I try to come up with really wacky solutions, but since my logic often isn't implemented (and let's be fair, I don't even implement my own logic when I'm programming) I typically wind up going, "Fine, just give me the obvious choice."

One of the weirder entries in the series is the DC comics based one since they put just about everybody in the game. When they include the Inferior 5, Ultra the Multialien, and Arms Fall Off Lad (always an Internet favorite) then you know that somebody had fun making it. Shame actually playing it isn't as fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Couple that with the disproportionate, irrational hatred for mediocre/flawed games that comes with being a teenager and... yeah. 0/10, this game is garbage, ruined my life and I'll hate it forever. The way people who hated Chrono Cross felt about Chrono Cross—that's how I felt about Legend of Mana.

I like to think of that era of Square as "the hubris period" because they made so much terrible, goodwill poisoning poo poo while firmly believing they could do nothing wrong. Even if they didn't make Spirits Within, they would have run themselves down eventually.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I haven't played Racing Lagoon but there isn't a PS1 era Square game I wouldn't play for at least a few hours.

Well that's more than enough time to finish Parasite Eve. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

vkeios posted:

Guys I checked a list of games Square made and I can confirm they made no bad games for the PlayStation 1.

I know you're joking, but Square's output for the Famicom Disk System is essentially a list of terrible games.

Also, Vagrant Story is the good tactical RPG that Square released for the PS1. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I am now officially interested in what the worst ever games from square are

I am not going to post a screen cap from Square's Tom Sawyer in this thread. Please google it and then share your horrified reaction.

For most other companies I have to think a bit, but Nintendo it has to be Other M just because it's such a cruel betrayal of the Metroid series. Name an aspect of Metroid that people like and that game got it wrong in the worst way possible.

Sega's worst game, OTOH, is really tough for me since they've thrown a lot more against the wall over the years and maybe one-third of it stuck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I remember being in awe of Spirits Within when it came out but I don't really remember anything about it now. A good movie, still...?

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.

Spirits Within has a bad case of anime plotting and stinks of Japanese producers controlling the international release. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen (I've seen a lot of terrible films) but it was memorable as a train wreck.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 27, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

I saw a screening a few days before its official opening and yeah, objectively as a movie it was extremely bad in several respects. As advanced as the effects were it was still poo poo tier in terms of acting and story and the other things that actually matter if you want to get box office numbers.

Well, I think history shows you don't have to have decent acting or story to do well in ticket sales. You do have to be understandable, though. If people leave the theater saying, "What the gently caress was that?" that's a bad sign.

financially racist posted:

my main issue was more with the story and characters, both of which were just the loving worst.

ff8 turned me away from the entire jrpg genre for over a decade. thank god persona 4 reminded me that i actually like jrpgs, though otoh that meant i subjected myself to eternal sonata so maybe that wasn't for the best.

I recently completed FF8 after bouncing off it several times and I found it to be completely terrible mechanically and storywise. It's so easy to break the combat system and so transparently obvious how to do it. I feel like their playtesting in that regard was just assuming that players wouldn't take the simple way to do.

This philosophy also followed Square forward. FF10 has a lot of the same problems as FF8 though at least there the character development system is interesting; literally the only saving grace in that game. FF8 is essentially the moment they decided that their RPG's were not about exploring and developing your character but instead were about telling their stories. Their lovely, lovely stories.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 27, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's funny that we're talking about Spirits Within as an incoherent film when I finally watched Eraserhead for the first time yesterday (yes, I know I should have seen it years decades ago). Of course, one was directed by David Lynch and the other was directed by the guy who wrote Final Fantasy VII.

Sir Tonk posted:

It's easily the worst FF game, not counting MMO ones.

And yes, it's worse than Mystic Quest.

I hate Mystic Quest and I'd rather play it again than FF8. At the very least I'd be finished with it sooner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

I realize that the Final Fantasy movie was pretty poo poo and all, but comparing that to David Lynch is like comparing an apple to Jupiter.

My point being that incoherent can work if you're a master director creating a series of striking vignettes and images instead of someone who doesn't understand filmmaking creating generic scifi action set pieces.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Zelda II is a fucker but I love lots of things about it. The dungeons aren't actually that bad until the final one, which is a bastard.

If enemies dropped hearts or magic drops were a bit more frequent that'd go a long way to balancing it better.

The scale of the sprite is a huge problem with Zelda 2 as it makes combat incredibly annoying. The game has other problems: the dungeons are boring, the leveling system is half-baked (especially in the disk system version), the magic system is poorly considered. It's the terrible combat that's the real nail in Zelda 2 for me. The flaws in that game are really common with terrible action-adventure games on the Famicom at the time, too...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Castlevania 2 is Zelda 2 done right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When did Chibi Robo get so goddamn expensive? Just noticed RetroGames has a copy for $200AUD :stare:.

It's been quietly sliding upward for a while as a Nintendo game that's good but also flew under the radar. US copies are going in the $40 - $50 range on eBay which means that in overpriced game stores it's probably closer to $100.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

iam8bit stuff ends up being worth decent money. Those Killer Instinct vinyl records went for 5x what they sold for (depending on what cover you got)

Don't buy collectables because you think they'll be worth something some day. That's a sure fire way to get burned. Get them if you think they'll be fun to have.

Honestly $100 doesn't seem that outrageous for a fresh printing of a cart and a pile of supplemental materials to me. Of course, that's assuming that what they put together is actually good and not your standard video game special edition pile of crap.

Speaking of spending too much money on things you don't need, I just had a bit of a windfall myself and I'm trying to find something nice to get for myself. However, all my ideas are obscure enough that I can't find copies on eBay when I search. I suspect I'm going to wind up at my fall back of "buy a bunch of weird stuff that looks kinda interesting and see what I get".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

My assumption on only slightly more research is that it is in fact very cheap to make new carts, and also that this version of SF2 is 100% identical to the original ROM and you should only buy it if you want a red cart and whatever other garbage is in the box.

If they're going Chinese pirate method (:pirate:) then per cart shouldn't cost them more than $10. Hopefully they're going for more solid quality overall plus not going for the second tier repro method of burning some eproms in which case it's probably costing them closer to $30 per cart, maybe even a bit more depending on how they do things.

Edit: The comedy route is going around in secret and buying 6000 SF2 SNES carts and putting a new shell on them. :v:

cosmicjim posted:

Do not become a hoarder. Do not buy every cheap video game related item you see. I had this problem for awhile.

But getting weird games and seeing what they are is the thing I like most in this hobby! :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

As someone who has spent 20yrs playing mostly non-MTG TCGs and spending a lot of time in stores like that they own a huge pile of garbage. Only a tiny subset of the rarest cards in those games is worth the labor it would take to find and ship them. Even if a card is worth anything finding the right buyer can be a huge headache. Some board games are worth money but again not many and finding the right buyer and ensuring the game is complete is awful

Around 2003 I was in one of those shops and they had a box of the defunct Vampire: The Eternal Struggle card game. Now I had a lot of fun playing that with friends back when it was new and I though, "Hey, I'll get that box for $10 or $20 and we'll have a fun evening or two with some decks I'll assemble out of it." Their price: $150. My negotiation tactic of, "You're joking, right?" didn't bring the price down, either.

What I'm saying is that nerd stores are traditionally very badly run.

(FWIW, those cards have made a bit of a comeback with people remembering that it was a pretty nifty game, but that was at the nadir of its popularity.)

The flip side of this is sometimes you get something super rare for a song because they're poorly run. A few years ago I saw copies of the board game Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit at a shop for it's original asking price. That game is long out of print and decent so it's very expensive. Sadly, I didn't have the $50 that moment but I figured I could just go back on Friday and get a copy since they had sat there for several years. Cue my brother who was with me saying to the shop's owner, "Dude! Those games are worth like $300 each!" I wanted to slap him so hard...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 31, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the logo/etc. on disk 2 cracking from being applied too thickly? This seemed to happen to a lot of people but it's like 50/50, has no effect on the game just curious.

You're reminding me that I still need to dig up a copy of disk 1 of Twin Snakes. The problem for me is that everyone I've found selling disk 1 on their own wants enough that I might as well have just bought a complete copy. $2 for disk 2 wasn't bad, so I'm holding off until I find disk 1 especially cheap.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm looking forward to the remake of...

poo poo, I'm trying to think of a blander, more generic late 90's video game for a hilarious comparison and I'm coming up short.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Those look to be maybe 7 inch records, with less than 2/3 of the available track length used on each side. So that's like a 2 or 3 minute track per side depending on how they recorded things, more likely to be the 2 minute length per side or less.

And for what it's worth, various vinyl production places could churn out a 5 copy run like the cover claims for under a thousand bucks, you just provide them with the recorded tracks and record art.

Wait, it's real? I assumed it was a joke mock up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm sure even if it was finished it would not be a good port given the NES's limitations, but it is a port I really want to see since I'm curious about how they did things. I wonder if this is more of a proof of concept prototype or a development checkpoint prototype...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

This thread reminded me that I need to finally get a copy of Sim City.

SNES Sim City is legitimately the best port of the original. The only thing it's lacking is support for custom tilesets.

If you want the best Sim City game to play, 3000 is the best. 4000 starts to break down under the bloat and we do not talk about the 2013 Sim City.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Nah the best SimCity is SimCity 2000 for Windows 95 with the fanpatch that lets it run on Windows 7 and up (the patch fixes how the game attempts to open file browser dialogs, since attempting to do that crashes on 7 and up).

I can respect that. I like the flexibility that 3000 added to the game, but there was definitely some feature creep going on at that point. As long as we all agree that 4000 wasn't any good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Interesting "Next Gen" N64 controller on kickstarter. Worth a shot for $20.

It came up when the kickstarter got going but it's probably worth mentioning again now that it's nearing the end.

This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed entirely due to the fact that new third party N64 controllers cost that much and I'm still desperately looking for a mostly functional controller for the system.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

please name a time Nintendo went for the better experience

When they decided to do something with those piles of unsold Radar Scope machines. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

So was there truth to the idea that Nintendo would have to license any emulation of the Super FX chip? I'm wondering if they finally poneyed up the cash to whomever for the SNES Mini, or if it just happens to be the first piece of Nintendo hardware powerful enough to emulate the chip properly. Or is it something weird like they actually put a physical Super FX chip in the box (hence, the ability to sell those games with a piece of hardware but not in a purely digital format)??

Patents don't apply to it anymore. It is possible, however, that they might want to use some code provided by someone else and that would require a license. In addition, sometimes it's easier to pay a license for something to get access to technical information than it is to just duplicate it.

So they probably didn't have to pay for a license, but they might have anyway to make their lives easier.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

There were quite a few, but few of them were really worth mentioning.

How dare you speak that way of the chip that turns the SNES into a 32-bit system specifically to play shogi!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Haha, on your low res CRT monitor?

Yeah, consoles didn't catch up to PC resolutions for about fifteen years so there's not a whole room there for poo poo talking "low res CRT monitors".

(Also, I'm typing this on a CRT monitor!

I suppose hooking a computer up to it would make it more effective...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Hmm, in 1995 the average monitor was probably a 14" SVGA or XGA... so we are talking about 800x600 or 1024x768. Even then many people were still only gaming on 640x480 anyway. So not really high res, I remember those days.

SwissCM got the joke.

What kind of loser didn't have a gaming rig capable of doing at least 800x600. :smith:

I'm sitting here doing a console mod and I'm becoming annoyed that I'm all out of hotglue. How can I possibly finish without that?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sitting here doing a console mod and I'm becoming annoyed that I'm all out of hotglue. How can I possibly finish without that?

So pro: the system cost me an entire dollar at a garage sale and frankly I was surprised it even started.

Con: I just sucked one of those half millimeter resistors right off the board when I was trying to solder a wire to it... And it still took me ten minutes to get the solder off the board so that it wasn't continuous there...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

What're you modding?

Just a PS1. Doing it more for soldering practice than anything else (it really is a $1 garage sale pick up) but this chip (the Mayumi 4) requires soldering to some extremely tiny connections for surface mounted components on a tight board. One on a single pin in a square package and two more on those mote of dust sized resistors. I was thinking I'd just bodge in a through hole resistor once I got the board cleaned up but I also shorted two pins on the square package and attempting to wick or suck that off got me three pins shorted instead. The connections are smaller than the tip of my iron and my finest solder wire so it's proving to be a real bastard. Enough that I'm packing it in for the night and I'll debate if I just want to chuck the board in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

In celebration of the Dreamcast's birthday today I decided to fire up Soulcalibur and play through some of the missions. Last night I played a bit of Virtua Fighter 2 and man, what a graphical upgrade to go from VF2 to SC in regards to 3D fighters. Granted they are 4 years apart.

Also on the subject of 3D fighters, I'm pretty sure I played the worst of them last night. I've had this game in my collection for several years now, but never played it until now.

I did a bit of a write up on that a while ago. It's amazing how incompetent that game is. Did you try playing as the skeleton aka the slowest fighting game character in history?

• Locked thread